Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: do you want the big shops open on sunday for longer ?
no 10 47.62%
no
10 47.62%
yes 11 52.38%
yes
11 52.38%
i would never read your poem in a phone box waterhog even on sunday 0 0%
i would never read your poem in a phone box waterhog even on sunday
0 0%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-03-2016, 09:09 AM #101
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

So nobody thought to Google the name of the MP or the constituency? As a hint run her name through Google translate and then check how long the parliamentary Easter recess is for. Finally, what date is next Friday?

Oh I almost forgot, next Friday will be Internet Spring Cleaning day

Fame, Riches, Adventure, Glory - A Cyber Warrior craves not these things

In Memorium
Wendy (AKA Romantic Old Bird) 1951 - 2008
Sticks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 09:19 AM #102
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

Well played Sticks, you even had arista raging at Mr Cyntaf bringing in this joke of a bill

Last edited by MTVN; 24-03-2016 at 09:20 AM.
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 09:54 AM #103
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I thought it was a Welsh name! I thought oh there really is a place called Downton, I thought they made that up, well done Sticks!

Last edited by Kizzy; 24-03-2016 at 09:55 AM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 10:00 AM #104
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Its unenforceable. To be able to do as suggested they would have to disable all credit/debit card transactions on a Sunday. So, no paying for food, petrol etc. No withdrawals from atm's etc. Cloud cuckoo land
The entire prospect is crazy, taking an entire days online trading EVERY WEEK out of the economy would cost billions... I mean... Considering online shopping is higher at weekends than weekdays... It's literally chopping a good 20% off of online turnover for every single company. Quite possibly more.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 10:03 AM #105
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
So nobody thought to Google the name of the MP or the constituency? As a hint run her name through Google translate and then check how long the parliamentary Easter recess is for. Finally, what date is next Friday?

Oh I almost forgot, next Friday will be Internet Spring Cleaning day
I'm pretty sure you get bad luck forever if you pull an April fools at any time before April 1st or at any time after noon on the day...

Playing with fire there. You might as well break all of your mirrors and leave all of your shoes on the table right now, it couldn't get any worse.
Old 24-03-2016, 12:42 PM #106
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Okay there were a number of things that should have tipped some off that things were not as they seemed, but before that, Toy Soldier's point about being early

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I'm pretty sure you get bad luck forever if you pull an April fools at any time before April 1st or at any time after noon on the day...

Playing with fire there. You might as well break all of your mirrors and leave all of your shoes on the table right now, it couldn't get any worse.
In my last missive I reference the infamous Internet Spring Cleaning day jape, (If you have not heard of it see here) The only way that one would work on the mark would be to run it a few days early. In my one I did not think it would have worked as well if it was sprung on the actual day.

Now on to the bits that were the less than obvious clues as to the nature of the piece.

First of all, so I don't do all the work here, pull up Google Translate and run Ebrill Cyntaf through it, with detect language on to translate to English. See what you get. In a number of these pieces, that phrase, or similar, is hidden in there somewhere, sometimes as an anagram.

While on the subject of this MP, if you google the name of a real MP, you should at least get their constituency website, or their entry on the main website for their political party. Now I said she was a conservative, so if she had been real you would have got it. Google her name and you will not get anything like that, but you do get some Welsh Language pages, another clue?

Next, the constituency of Downton in Wiltshire. Actually there is such a place, it is actually referred to a Downton Village (See here for it's Wikepedia entry) Downton was a parliamentary constituency but only until 1832 when it was abolished by the Great Reform Act of 1832. Prior to that Downton was seen as a Rotten Borough (Read about it here). Downton today is part of the Salisbury parliamentary constituency, represented by John Glen, a Conservative MP, (So I got that one right about the political party holding the seat )

Next one, if the marks had been taken in, then they would have travelled to lobby against this bill only to find the place closed next Friday. A quick look at the website for the House of Commons here would show that the House is in recess next Friday!

As for the bill itself? Private members bills are indeed discussed on Fridays, but if you went to the what's on section of the Parliament website here you would find no reference on that date to any commons business

And of course what is the date next Friday? The most obvious clue

So was any of this real?

Well one thing was, I did indeed sarcastically float this idea to a colleague at work who was going on against Sunday trading, and she did agree with the idea of banning online Sunday trading, I can only assume she did not realise I was being sarcastic. I remember a few years back when we had that ban on taking liquids on to aeroplanes and in a queue at a pizza place I suggested to a guy that as liquids could be soaked into clothing, perhaps, I said sarcastically but with a straight face, that we should all fly naked. His reply was "If that's what it takes"

There are some people out there who are completely gullible and will swallow anything no matter how ludicrous. Mentioning no names

So I hope this has taught you something, I am a devious little so and so? Apart from that

Always be sceptical - Always check things out!

So getting back to the original subject of this thread, I come to the position that those of us in Christendom by insisting on these ridiculous Sunday trading regulations have shot ourselves in the foot, and it hardly wins hearts and minds does it if we come across as imposing our beliefs on others. I would also point out, that these restrictions come from the commandment about the Sabbath, but that was actually the last day of the week, Saturday! Sunday is the first day of the week and if you examine the New Testament you will find that of the 10 commandments, only one was never copied into the new covenant, the Sabbath rule.

What those who insist on this "Sabbath" fail to remember is that when gentiles were admitted to the early church most of them would have been slaves, and therefore unlikely to have had special dispensation to take one day off a week.

In Memorium

Last edited by Sticks; 24-03-2016 at 12:43 PM.
Old 24-03-2016, 12:47 PM #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Well played Sticks, you even had arista raging at Mr Cyntaf bringing in this joke of a bill

Shocking
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 03:21 PM #108

Damn and I told people at work about this!!
Old 24-03-2016, 04:17 PM #109
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
quod erat demonstrandum

Or to quote from the Russian, doveryai no proverya

In Memorium
Old 24-03-2016, 04:23 PM #110

I think I'll wait till April 1st!
Old 24-03-2016, 04:28 PM #111
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Quote:
I think I'll wait till April 1st!
Am wondering how many of your colleagues will share this on social media without thinking.

Maybe it could go viral

In Memorium
Old 24-03-2016, 04:29 PM #112
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

My local Tesco is open until 11pm on a Sunday anyway so idc

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 07:15 PM #113
-

-

Quote:
Okay there were a number of things that should have tipped some off that things were not as they seemed, but before that, Toy Soldier's point about being early

In my last missive I reference the infamous Internet Spring Cleaning day jape, (If you have not heard of it see here) The only way that one would work on the mark would be to run it a few days early. In my one I did not think it would have worked as well if it was sprung on the actual day.

Now on to the bits that were the less than obvious clues as to the nature of the piece.

First of all, so I don't do all the work here, pull up Google Translate and run Ebrill Cyntaf through it, with detect language on to translate to English. See what you get. In a number of these pieces, that phrase, or similar, is hidden in there somewhere, sometimes as an anagram.

While on the subject of this MP, if you google the name of a real MP, you should at least get their constituency website, or their entry on the main website for their political party. Now I said she was a conservative, so if she had been real you would have got it. Google her name and you will not get anything like that, but you do get some Welsh Language pages, another clue?

Next, the constituency of Downton in Wiltshire. Actually there is such a place, it is actually referred to a Downton Village (See here for it's Wikepedia entry) Downton was a parliamentary constituency but only until 1832 when it was abolished by the Great Reform Act of 1832. Prior to that Downton was seen as a Rotten Borough (Read about it here). Downton today is part of the Salisbury parliamentary constituency, represented by John Glen, a Conservative MP, (So I got that one right about the political party holding the seat )

Next one, if the marks had been taken in, then they would have travelled to lobby against this bill only to find the place closed next Friday. A quick look at the website for the House of Commons here would show that the House is in recess next Friday!

As for the bill itself? Private members bills are indeed discussed on Fridays, but if you went to the what's on section of the Parliament website here you would find no reference on that date to any commons business

And of course what is the date next Friday? The most obvious clue

So was any of this real?

Well one thing was, I did indeed sarcastically float this idea to a colleague at work who was going on against Sunday trading, and she did agree with the idea of banning online Sunday trading, I can only assume she did not realise I was being sarcastic. I remember a few years back when we had that ban on taking liquids on to aeroplanes and in a queue at a pizza place I suggested to a guy that as liquids could be soaked into clothing, perhaps, I said sarcastically but with a straight face, that we should all fly naked. His reply was "If that's what it takes"

There are some people out there who are completely gullible and will swallow anything no matter how ludicrous. Mentioning no names

So I hope this has taught you something, I am a devious little so and so? Apart from that

Always be sceptical - Always check things out!

So getting back to the original subject of this thread, I come to the position that those of us in Christendom by insisting on these ridiculous Sunday trading regulations have shot ourselves in the foot, and it hardly wins hearts and minds does it if we come across as imposing our beliefs on others. I would also point out, that these restrictions come from the commandment about the Sabbath, but that was actually the last day of the week, Saturday! Sunday is the first day of the week and if you examine the New Testament you will find that of the 10 commandments, only one was never copied into the new covenant, the Sabbath rule.

What those who insist on this "Sabbath" fail to remember is that when gentiles were admitted to the early church most of them would have been slaves, and therefore unlikely to have had special dispensation to take one day off a week.
And you would have gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for those pesky kids.
Old 24-03-2016, 08:12 PM #114

Quote:
Am wondering how many of your colleagues will share this on social media without thinking.

Maybe it could go viral
Old 01-04-2016, 06:16 AM #115
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Quote:
So are your colleagues all set to go and lobby parliament or have they caught on

In Memorium

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
longer, open, saga, shopping, shops, sunday