Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 09-06-2016, 05:51 AM #26
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..I'm glad that the deadline was extended with this..I know it might not be the wisest to leave it until the last moment but some people do that and the servers etc should have had enough euro-bytes to accommodate that, so I think it was an equal fault and it's good that the hours given to vote were made up, so that as many votes as possible are exercised...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:44 AM #27
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..I'm glad that the deadline was extended with this..I know it might not be the wisest to leave it until the last moment but some people do that and the servers etc should have had enough euro-bytes to accommodate that, so I think it was an equal fault and it's good that the hours given to vote were made up, so that as many votes as possible are exercised...
Absolutely Ammi.

I like to consider myself pretty well organised as to things I do or have to do but many times I have left things to the last minute, and a couple of occasions at least, the very last minute too.
I still make the point that the surge seemed to come after the Cameron/Farage debate programme too on TV.

It may well have been that something was said that helped 'persuade' some to at least register for a vote after watching that.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 10:25 AM #28
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Did they need to extend by 48 hours when just two hours were lost
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:51 PM #29
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

People actually care about this? Why?

It's not going to affect your right to vote, it just means others are rightfully going to be allowed the opportunity to. If extending the deadline means more people are entitled to exercise their democratic right after this appalling new system has ****ed so many people over, then I don't see the problem.
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 12:53 PM #30
Hakuna Matata

Favourites (more):
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle
Love Island 5: Maura

Hakuna Matata

Favourites (more):
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle
Love Island 5: Maura

Let the latecomers have their vote Cherie!
Ross. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:09 PM #31
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post

It's not going to affect your right to vote, it just means others are rightfully going to be allowed the opportunity to. If extending the deadline means more people are entitled to exercise their democratic right after this appalling new system has ****ed so many people over, then I don't see the problem.
What crashed the system was a host of people who couldn't get their sh1t together in time and all tried to register right up against the deadline. And honestly, when you've had the whole year to register and you couldn't be bothered until hours before the deadline, I'm not sure your vote is going to be worth waiting for.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:14 PM #32
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:

Why bother with a deadline at all? The only reason it was extended was to favour "remain"' do you honestly think they would have extended for any other reason so yes we should be bothered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross. View Post
Let the latecomers have their vote Cherie!
Will they get out of bed to vote though I mean if they can't get to the PCs in their bedrooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
What crashed the system was a host of people who couldn't get their sh1t together in time and all tried to register right up against the deadline. And honestly, when you've had the whole year to register and you couldn't be bothered until hours before the deadline, I'm not sure your vote is going to be worth waiting for.

Last edited by Cherie; 09-06-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:33 PM #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyuk123 View Post
It's so all the illegal immigrants have a chance to vote remain.
You make no sense whatsoever.
How would a person who isn't here legally be able to vote?
How on earth would it make a difference to them to remain if they are not here legally?
What utter rubbish you post.

Last edited by billy123; 09-06-2016 at 01:36 PM.
billy123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:36 PM #34

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Did they need to extend by 48 hours when just two hours were lost
I've changed my mind about this now.I was all for them giving the two hours back just out of good will but extending by 24 or 48 hours is more like rigging it.They know that it's the lazy leftist students that could'nt be arsed to register so they've given them a whole extra two days.That needs investigating.
Also the Daily Politics has said that the electoral commission has done very little to stop EU nationals registering to vote.I was reluctant in the other thread to say that this referendum will be fixed but it's heading more and more in that direction now.

Last edited by Northern Monkey; 09-06-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:38 PM #35
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
I've changed my mind about this now.I was all for them giving the two hours back just out of good will but extending by 24 or 48 hours is more like rigging it.They know that it's the lazy leftist students that could'nt be arsed to register so they've given them a whole extra two days.That needs investigating.
Also the Daily Politics has said that the electoral commission has done very little to stop EU nationals registering to vote.I was reluctant in the other thread to say that this referendum will be fixed but it's heading more and more in that direction now.
Noo! It doesn't benefit Brexit to keep registration open! Shut it down shut it down!
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 01:40 PM #36

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Noo! It doesn't benefit Brexit to keep registration open! Shut it down shut it down!
No just give them the lost time back from the server crash.That would be perfectly reasonable.If they still cba to register then they don't deserve to vote.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 02:32 PM #37
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I'm voting remain but I can see how unfair and undemocratic this extension is, yesterday morning someone said it would be impossible to extend as it would have to be ratified by parliament, guess what it's been rushed through, if we stay in or go out it should be at the will of the majority not manipulated so the "right" result is ensured, I wasn't in favour of the government spending 9 million on a propaganda leaflet either
Old 09-06-2016, 02:42 PM #38
oh fack off

Favourites (more):

oh fack off

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I wasn't talking about the crash, I meant the entirely new system of individual voter registration itself which has meant nearly a million people falling off the register - it's appalling and so if the deadline being extended means more of those who were ****ed over by it now get their chance to vote, that isn't a bad thing.

It doesn't matter when people choose to register. It's not an incremental deadline where if you register twelve months in advance your vote is worth ten times more than someone who registers twelve days before. A deadline is a deadline. If I submit an essay half an hour before it is due, it is marked and treated in exactly the same manner as someone who did it a day before me.

If people were trying to register after the deadline then you would have a point, but so long as it were before the deadline it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to how 'worthy' their vote is, what nonsense.

Quote:
Why bother with a deadline at all? The only reason it was extended was to favour "remain"' do you honestly think they would have extended for any other reason so yes we should be bothered
The argument that it favours the remain side is pure conjecture, what about those who are undecided? Perhaps they weren't sure if they were going to vote, watched the debate and then thought it best to register?

The simple fact is by extending the deadline more people are going to be entitled to exercise their democratic right to vote, that isn't a bad thing no matter how people wish to look at it and really it speaks volumes if you think it is
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 03:34 PM #39
Starf⭐cker

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash

Starf⭐cker

Favourites (more):

If you care so little about your vote that you don't bother to register until the deadline - then tough.
_Tom_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:11 PM #40
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I wasn't talking about the crash, I meant the entirely new system of individual voter registration itself which has meant nearly a million people falling off the register - it's appalling and so if the deadline being extended means more of those who were ****ed over by it now get their chance to vote, that isn't a bad thing.

It doesn't matter when people choose to register. It's not an incremental deadline where if you register twelve months in advance your vote is worth ten times more than someone who registers twelve days before. A deadline is a deadline. If I submit an essay half an hour before it is due, it is marked and treated in exactly the same manner as someone who did it a day before me.

If people were trying to register after the deadline then you would have a point, but so long as it were before the deadline it doesn't make a blind bit of difference to how 'worthy' their vote is, what nonsense.

The argument that it favours the remain side is pure conjecture, what about those who are undecided? Perhaps they weren't sure if they were going to vote, watched the debate and then thought it best to register?

The simple fact is by extending the deadline more people are going to be entitled to exercise their democratic right to vote, that isn't a bad thing no matter how people wish to look at it and really it speaks volumes if you think it is
Totally excellent points Jack_ all through.

I believe in the fullest democracy in the UK and quite frankly I am astounded that there is not in place automatic voter registration for those who turn 18 years old.

In your first part of your post, you make a brilliant point as to some falling off the register due to the changes and I indeed know of some in the last week who believed they were on the register, then got no polling information.
So had to re-register, ridiculous.

It astounds me that anyone involved in politics or even just interested in politics, would actually not want to encourage, and make sure all people of eligible status and age, can use their full right of a democratic vote in the UK.

Maybe extending the deadline to 2 days later was excessive but the govt had to make its mind up whether to do so,most of one day was in fact lost making that decision, so fair enough.

However the right to vote should be an automatic thing put in place at 18 in my view.
Ensuring all citizens of the UK who are eligible to vote, are securely on the register is all that matters to me,no matter how they may vote or who for.

Naturally too if people move,it is necessary for them to update their information.

Last edited by joeysteele; 09-06-2016 at 04:11 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:27 PM #41
Starf⭐cker

Favourites (more):

Starf⭐cker

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I believe in the fullest democracy in the UK
Since when did you suddenly care for democracy
_Tom_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:35 PM #42
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
Totally excellent points Jack_ all through.

Maybe extending the deadline to 2 days later was excessive but the govt had to make its mind up whether to do so,most of one day was in fact lost making that decision, so fair enough.
No time was lost Joey as on the 9am news yesterday people were encouraged to continue registering by the PM so a full 48 hours was given
Old 09-06-2016, 04:41 PM #43
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Tom_ View Post
Since when did you suddenly care for democracy
Excuse me, you do not know me.
I have always believed in democracy, not that we really have that in the UK where a govt can govern with absolute power with only around 3.5 of every 10 votes cast by the people who actually voted.
Thereby totally almost ignoring the votes of the 6+ out of 10 other voters.

What right have you to say I don't care for democracy?

If it is just a rather childish petty dig because I want to remain in the EU,then even there I want and hope for more democracy in that too.

I just believe we can help make that more possibly a fact if we stay in,we certainly cannot do anything to help bring that about if we are out.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:40 PM #44
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

extending the deadline for registration isn't tipping the balance of voting in any direction. The number of potential voters remains the same. In the time we have remaining till the vote, 10's of thousands will be changing their minds right up till they put their X in the box. I'm not unhappy at them extending the deadline, but it is time for responsible potential voters to take responsibility for their own actions/behaviour.

Last edited by bitontheslide; 09-06-2016 at 05:41 PM.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:14 PM #45
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
No time was lost Joey as on the 9am news yesterday people were encouraged to continue registering by the PM so a full 48 hours was given
Oh I think you may find there was Cherie, on the Daily Politics after PMQs yesterday, after the PM had said people should keep trying, Andrew Neill said the site was still not working, so for an unknown time yesterday, they could not register.

Which I would presume was why,rightly or wrongly, they included today in the new deadline too.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
crashed, registration, site, voting