Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB17 Discuss the series (won by Jason Burrill, runner-up Hughie) and all the housemates in this forum.

Old 18-06-2016, 06:24 AM #76

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
IAC2018: Emily Atack

Favourites (more):

Andy came across as rude. It was a light-hearted discussion and he failed to match the mood of the house. His apology may have been sincere but nominations day is not the time to expect anyone to take that at face value.

However he lives to learn and fight another week.
BBDodge is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 06:32 AM #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Jade View Post
It's the paranormal ffs plenty of people believe in it. I do myself and I'm far from thick and I dont believe Sam is either.

You seem as judgemental as Andy.
Id imagine what grated on Andys nerves was less to do with the tail of unexplained phenomena and more to do with the exaggerated, attention seeking, insult to people's intelligence, delivery of the story .... only so much bull sh-t can be endured in a confined space.
They were all patronising Sam by pretending to believe him, but being the Snidey drama queen he is, he prefered the lie of their reaction to the truth of Andys....because he could get even more attention by storming off like some camp old diva.
hot2go is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 06:35 AM #78
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDodge View Post
Andy came across as rude. It was a light-hearted discussion and he failed to match the mood of the house. His apology may have been sincere but nominations day is not the time to expect anyone to take that at face value.

However he lives to learn and fight another week.
..yeah, I think that it was one of those 'ghost swapping' conversations that many of us have had with friends at one time or another and not to be taken so seriously in the way he did...having said that, maybe in his similar conversations with friends, it's something he would challenge and spark discussions about so probably didn't mean it to be as a judgemental thing....
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-06-2016, 02:37 PM #79
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot2go View Post
Id imagine what grated on Andys nerves was less to do with the tail of unexplained phenomena and more to do with the exaggerated, attention seeking, insult to people's intelligence, delivery of the story .... only so much bull sh-t can be endured in a confined space.
They were all patronising Sam by pretending to believe him, but being the Snidey drama queen he is, he prefered the lie of their reaction to the truth of Andys....because he could get even more attention by storming off like some camp old diva.

nailed it
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 04:24 AM #80

Quote:
It's the paranormal ffs plenty of people believe in it. I do myself and I'm far from thick and I dont believe Sam is either.

You seem as judgemental as Andy.
Plenty of people believe in the paranormal because they know nothing of science (which is a disgrace in itself).

The fact that you "believe n it" does not reflect well on you.

It is nonsense, and if you don't know that, you need to read a few more science articles.

Ghosties and spirits are made up nonsense with no evidence of their existence. They are not matters of opinion to be debated by the intellectually challenged.
ConnieLingus is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 04:44 AM #81

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2019: Karim Zeroual
BB18: Isabelle

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT350 View Post
Well, I was brought up religious. I didn't swallow the pill though.

However I do have a spiritual side.

Science is fantastic and interesting. I love learning about the mechanics of everything in and around us. But I think it's quite possible that our interpretation and understanding of things is very superficial at best. Reality may be what we're allowed to see and understand. And that's our reality. Especially as we're left to understand and discover things on our own as a species. Giving us a sense of achievement and discovery and reinforcing the notion that our reality IS reality.

Like I say, maybe were allowed to discover things. Like a child discovering something for the first time is so convinced he's pioneering and feels sure he's made a discovery that no one else could have.

Bit like The Matrix.

That's just a thought though. Not an opinion.

I don't think I believe in God or God's. I sort of do believe in creation over evolution. There's no reason a long extinct race of aliens couldn't have sent out probes with the seed of everything we call life to terraform planets. Maybe they're still there.

Or maybe they're HERE! Lol.

Anyway I'll take off my tinfoil hat now lol.
Good post. This just shows you're open minded, rather than rigid in your thinking, and that is a great trait.

People have a different idea of reality, so what is reality? Sometimes I wonder if there is really only perception.

The fact is we do not know everything, and the human race changes its view of reality as it learns and discovers more, and evolves. There must be many things we have not discovered yet so who's to say what we might be able to prove in the future.

I like to have evidence in order to form an opinion and believe something, but that doesn't mean I dismiss the things we don't have evidence for, as we might discover it in the future.
Garfie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-06-2016, 04:50 AM #82

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maru View Post
I'm not religious either. I'm more of an open mind and have come to my beliefs in a different manner.

Hey, people have differing views and POV's with the subject of the supernatural, but that is what makes it so interesting.

People can detest religion all people want (I'm not religious either), but there are people going so far as to murder and die for their beliefs. It might be good to sit . My point is there doesn't necessarily have to be a competition between the two, but maybe view it as a continuous learning experience. Science is fairly well proven in it's area but there's no reason to be completely closed to other contexts of what we see and physically experience.

Relax, we are here for the long haul. Education is a life-long thing so there is no reason to close off to other people's POV. It may not change your belief system and really who cares if it does. The point is you may learn something about your fellow man and that is why it doesn't really bother me.

Excellent points, Maru. I love your posts as you really think about and consider what you're saying. I absolutely agree with what you say here.
Old 20-06-2016, 04:58 AM #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfie View Post
Good post. This just shows you're open minded, rather than rigid in your thinking, and that is a great trait.

People have a different idea of reality, so what is reality? Sometimes I wonder if there is really only perception.

The fact is we do not know everything, and the human race changes its view of reality as it learns and discovers more, and evolves. There must be many things we have not discovered yet so who's to say what we might be able to prove in the future.

I like to have evidence in order to form an opinion and believe something, but that doesn't mean I dismiss the things we don't have evidence for, as we might discover it in the future.

You "like to have evidence in order to form an opinion and believe something", but you don't "dismiss the things we don't have evidence for".

The perfect example of the thinking of those who try to make religion work, or believe in superstitious claptrap like the para normal.

Read some books and get with the programme
Old 20-06-2016, 05:02 AM #84

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
I thought of LT during the exchange I liked that Andy said his piece he was just a little bit too superior in his view though and didn't put his point across well which was a shame, I think Se are seeing little snippets of bitchy Andy..opening the oven door as well
I think Andy was trying to open up the discussion to the opposing point of view, but he was tactless in the way he did this, which resulted in him shutting the conversation down.

Had he asked a question such as 'Do you think that sometimes the human mind can convince people they've experienced something they haven't?' or ' Could an alternative reason for that occurrence be.......?' he might have been more successful in opening the conversation up to the interesting debate he is craving.

I'm surprised that, as a journalist, who must have an excellent grasp of language and how it can be used effectively, he was unable to do this in this situation.
Old 20-06-2016, 05:04 AM #85

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
No as I said and you've ignored, I think he could have approached the conversation with more tact.

Being honest doesn't mean you have to be arrogant and try and belittle somebody else's opinion and beliefs.
Old 20-06-2016, 05:20 AM #86

Quote:
Had he asked a question such as 'Do you think that sometimes the human mind can convince people they've experienced something they haven't?' or ' Could an alternative reason for that occurrence be.......?' he might have been more successful in opening the conversation up to the interesting debate he is craving..
Funny enough, that's almost exactly what he did.

Did you miss that?
Old 20-06-2016, 05:27 AM #87

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnieLingus View Post
You "like to have evidence in order to form an opinion and believe something", but you don't "dismiss the things we don't have evidence for".

The perfect example of the thinking of those who try to make religion work, or believe in superstitious claptrap like the para normal.

Read some books and get with the programme

You really don't have a clue!

Funnily enough, I am not religious and I don't believe in the supernatural, but I am open-minded enough not to dismiss what other people believe.

Ironically, you've made the point yourself that scientists have a theory then search for the evidence, yet you contradict your own points!

And I have two degrees, am very well-educated and have read hundreds of books!

And I've come across plenty of insecure and immature little people who choose to insult as they don't have the intelligence to have a mature and informed discussion, so that's why I'm just laughing at your post and can't take you seriously!!
Old 20-06-2016, 05:31 AM #88

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

Did you miss that?
Watch it again and get with the programme.
Old 20-06-2016, 05:39 AM #89

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

Did you miss that?

Is that it!? Don't stop making posts to me, ConnieLingus! I'm finding your posts great entertainment and it'd be a shame if I can't have a good laugh before I get on with my day!!
Old 21-06-2016, 03:59 AM #90

Quote:

Is that it!? Don't stop making posts to me, ConnieLingus! I'm finding your posts great entertainment and it'd be a shame if I can't have a good laugh before I get on with my day!!
Er, I'll try to do that. I won't stop making posts to you if it makes you happy in some way.

(PS...I don't have a clue what you are on about).
Old 21-06-2016, 04:12 AM #91

Quote:

Ironically, you've made the point yourself that scientists have a theory then search for the evidence, yet you contradict your own points!

And I have two degrees, am very well-educated and have read hundreds of books!
:
1. I didn't contradict any points of mine, despite you having some agenda to suggest I did. Prove your stupid claim.

2. If you have 2 degrees, the taxpayer deserves a rebate for you wasting public funds.

I'm going to guess your degrees are in something like Social Services and Sociology. Hardly real degrees, unless you want to tell us otherwise.
Old 21-06-2016, 06:38 AM #92

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I'm going to guess your degrees are in something like Social Services and Sociology. Hardly real degrees, unless you want to tell us otherwise.
Hey, don't knock degrees that begin Soci...

Dodge (BSc Social Biology)
BBDodge is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-06-2016, 06:52 AM #93
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

what does Andy have against Sam?

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-06-2016, 04:07 PM #94

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Er, I'll try to do that. I won't stop making posts to you if it makes you happy in some way.

(PS...I don't have a clue what you are on about).
Never mind. I'm sure you can't help it. Though, given the level of intelligence you have shown, I can understand you might find an intellectual discussion rather demanding. Don't beat yourself up about it though- we all have our limitations- you are obviously just one of those people who seem to struggle more than most.

If you haven't got a clue (your self awareness is admirable, by the way, as it would be exactly my analysis of your abilities) may I respectfully suggest you go and read a few books? It can help, you know.

Best of luck with your endeavours!
Old 26-06-2016, 05:08 PM #95

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
1. I didn't contradict any points of mine, despite you having some agenda to suggest I did. Prove your stupid claim.

2. If you have 2 degrees, the taxpayer deserves a rebate for you wasting public funds.

Thank you for your kind response, ConnieLingus, and greatest apologies for taking quite so long to respond!

1. I would be insulting you by proving the obvious, unless you are suggesting you don't have the ability to recognise the obvious yourself. Have confidence that you can do this, ConnieLingus, as I believe your reluctance to try is more likely to be attention-seeking rather than inability. Take those blinkers off! You can do it! Grab a dictionary, look up the meaning of 'contradict', then re-read your posts. Remember, it is not merely enough to be able to spell and use words- you need to ensure that you understand their meaning, and can put them into context. Maybe grab yourself a thesaurus as well.

2. Oh, bless you! I am guessing you haven't achieved much success in your life, given the bitterness you are showing towards those who have, and to those who are leading a productive life, having extensive success in their careers, and who have earned great respect from all those around them. Jealousy is an ugly emotion, but it is advisable that you try to deal with it. You will feel so much better in yourself if you do.

3. Get yourself booked on an anger-management course. Your doctor should be able to help you with this. This might help you to tackle your underlying issues, reduce your bitterness and resentment and cope better with your failures in life. You should not be experiencing this level of anger and stress over a reality television show. Removing that chip you are carrying on your shoulder will alleviate the stress and tension you evidently experience.

4. Your lack of intelligence is revealing itself again; 'Social Services' is an organisation, not a degree subject. But never mind- it all sounds good, doesn't it, and that will give your ego a boost, even if it is short lived and followed by a period humiliation. Unfortunately, this can be a regular occurrence when you try to appear more intelligent than you are; eventually, you will catch yourself out. Always be aware of that.

Now, sadly, I have to go, ConnieLingus; unfortunately, I don't have any more time at the moment to indulge your insecurities (or indeed my humour!). However, you now have access to some very useful advice that will help you to tackle those underlying issues, if, of course, you have the courage to use that advice; yes, I know it will be challenging and potentially painful, but it will be more than worth it in the end.

I'm sure we can communicate again in the future in order to follow up your progress; indeed I would love to, as even though I shouldn't laugh, and I know it undermines your intentions, your comments and delivery do appeal so much to my sense of humour, and, therefore, I find you a bit of light relief from the more important and demanding things in life!
Old 27-06-2016, 04:54 AM #96

Quote:
Thank you for your kind response, ConnieLingus, and greatest apologies for taking quite so long to respond!

1. I would be insulting you by proving the obvious, unless you are suggesting you don't have the ability to recognise the obvious yourself. Have confidence that you can do this, ConnieLingus, as I believe your reluctance to try is more likely to be attention-seeking rather than inability. Take those blinkers off! You can do it! Grab a dictionary, look up the meaning of 'contradict', then re-read your posts. Remember, it is not merely enough to be able to spell and use words- you need to ensure that you understand their meaning, and can put them into context. Maybe grab yourself a thesaurus as well.

2. Oh, bless you! I am guessing you haven't achieved much success in your life, given the bitterness you are showing towards those who have, and to those who are leading a productive life, having extensive success in their careers, and who have earned great respect from all those around them. Jealousy is an ugly emotion, but it is advisable that you try to deal with it. You will feel so much better in yourself if you do.

3. Get yourself booked on an anger-management course. Your doctor should be able to help you with this. This might help you to tackle your underlying issues, reduce your bitterness and resentment and cope better with your failures in life. You should not be experiencing this level of anger and stress over a reality television show. Removing that chip you are carrying on your shoulder will alleviate the stress and tension you evidently experience.

4. Your lack of intelligence is revealing itself again; 'Social Services' is an organisation, not a degree subject. But never mind- it all sounds good, doesn't it, and that will give your ego a boost, even if it is short lived and followed by a period humiliation. Unfortunately, this can be a regular occurrence when you try to appear more intelligent than you are; eventually, you will catch yourself out. Always be aware of that.

Now, sadly, I have to go, ConnieLingus; unfortunately, I don't have any more time at the moment to indulge your insecurities (or indeed my humour!). However, you now have access to some very useful advice that will help you to tackle those underlying issues, if, of course, you have the courage to use that advice; yes, I know it will be challenging and potentially painful, but it will be more than worth it in the end.

I'm sure we can communicate again in the future in order to follow up your progress; indeed I would love to, as even though I shouldn't laugh, and I know it undermines your intentions, your comments and delivery do appeal so much to my sense of humour, and, therefore, I find you a bit of light relief from the more important and demanding things in life!
OK, you utter bull****ter!

How the hell can someone fit so much k eech into one post without wretching? Go and get a job or a life....or preferably both.
Old 27-06-2016, 12:58 PM #97

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis G
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis G
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli

Thanks, Garfie & Connie, for such an entertaining diversion!
Clootie Dumpling is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 09:10 PM #98

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clootie Dumpling View Post
Thanks, Garfie & Connie, for such an entertaining diversion!
Old 27-06-2016, 09:39 PM #99

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
OK, you utter bull****ter!

How the hell can someone fit so much k eech into one post without wretching? Go and get a job or a life....or preferably both.
Oh dear, ConnieLingus! Here comes that anger and resentment again! You didn't follow the advice, did you?

'K eech'? Oh dear, oh dear...... Is this yet another indication of your lack of education? I suggest, yet again, you go read some books, and invest in that dictionary I was telling you about!

As I already have both a successful career, and a very full life, your cliched advice is of no use to me, but your efforts are recognised. However, if you feel the need to make further suggestions, could you at least try to make them slightly original?

Now, run along to the dole office, ConnieLingus, and put your signature where necessary.... However, if that seems a bit challenging, just ask someone to point out the relevant place, and put an X instead of a signature!

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
andy, bs, destroys, sam, story