Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB18 Celebrity Big Brother Summer 2016 [CBB 18] won by Stephen Bear here.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:09 PM #151

Emmas wasn't happy with Biggins.

So if she's upset her...wow....
Gusto Brunt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:25 PM #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfie View Post
Biggins is entitled to his opinion, but if it is offensive he should not be expressing it in public- just as you are entitled to your opinion, but shouldn't be expressing it in public, particularly when the person you are responding to has clearly stated it is causing offence. Perhaps you could have some consideration and respect?
In a genuine free speech and free expression country you should be free to express a personal opinion regardless of if it is private or in public and regardless to any offence it may cause to others.

You can not go through life censoring oneself on the off chance that someone somewhere might take offence.

We have lost a valuable right in this country because we pander to babies who do not have the personalities to be adult and take words on the chin in a grown up way.

Just remember censorship is far more sinister than percieved offensive comments.
bananarama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:27 PM #153
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by starry View Post
They like early ejections these days anyway, like it's meant to add to the drama. They can feel feel staged even.
Yip wouldn't surprise me if this was planned, Biggins is clever, would he want to be in there until Sept. I was surprised at the bisexual comments and now this, it could be staged
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:32 PM #154
swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):
BB19: Brooke
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):
BB19: Brooke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Yip wouldn't surprise me if this was planned, Biggins is clever, would he want to be in there until Sept. I was surprised at the bisexual comments and now this, it could be staged
That's a weird way of leaving the show. jeopardizing his public image.

Spoiler:

Shifra, Tzabar, Ranin. BBIL 2008.
y.winter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:42 PM #155
Team Grrumpy

Team Grrumpy

This might adversely affect his career...

If it was the bisexual comments why have they left him in so long afterwards?

Does this mean in 2 weeks time Bear will be sent home for smashing a mirror?

Not a good look...
mr rochester is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:45 PM #156

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis G
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli

Favourites (more):

The way the announcement was worded suggests the 'offensive' comments could have happened at any time since he entered the House.

If it's about his Bi views, I'll be furious. He's entitled to those opinions - how many times have HMs old and new made ageist comments, which are seen as banter?

If it is about the Bi thing, and if it were that offensive, BB should have taken action at the time, not waited until a few people started wingeing about it!

Last edited by Clootie Dumpling; 05-08-2016 at 09:45 PM.
Clootie Dumpling is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:47 PM #157
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clootie Dumpling View Post
If it is about the Bi thing, and if it were that offensive, BB should have taken action at the time, not waited until a few people started wingeing about it!
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:53 PM #158

Favourites (more):
BB15: Toya
CBB 13: Luisa Zissman

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananarama View Post
In a genuine free speech and free expression country you should be free to express a personal opinion regardless of if it is private or in public and regardless to any offence it may cause to others.

You can not go through life censoring oneself on the off chance that someone somewhere might take offence.

We have lost a valuable right in this country because we pander to babies who do not have the personalities to be adult and take words on the chin in a grown up way.

Just remember censorship is far more sinister than percieved offensive comments.
Free speech does not mean hate speech. Likewise, you can't shout 'fire' in a crowded theatre.

People really need to stop using something so sacred as free speech as a tool in their bigoted propaganda. Go to a country like China where free speech is truly prohibited and you'll see a stark difference.

Last edited by lovebigbrotheruk; 05-08-2016 at 09:54 PM.
lovebigbrotheruk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:00 PM #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebigbrotheruk View Post
Free speech does not mean hate speech. Likewise, you can't shout 'fire' in a crowded theatre.

People really need to stop using something so sacred as free speech as a tool in their bigoted propaganda. Go to a country like China where free speech is truly prohibited and you'll see a stark difference.

Exactly!
Lstan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:05 PM #160

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2019: Karim Zeroual
BB18: Isabelle

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2019: Karim Zeroual
BB18: Isabelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananarama View Post

I understand what you are saying, and in principle I agree. However, imo freedom of speech has to be balanced with consideration and common decency towards others.

There are ways and means to express things, and on here several forum members have attacked and insulted another member, who had clearly said they were finding it offensive. This attack was sustained and relentless, and totally unnecessary. It was uncomfortable to witness, and I am not prepared to stand by and watch that happen without saying something.

Finding something offensive is not about being a 'baby' or somehow less than an adult. However, a lack of decent social skills does either suggest a lack of maturity, or a selfish and unpleasant disregard for others.
Garfie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:19 PM #161

The mania for being a victim and giving other human beings titles like 'Bigot', 'Misogynist' etc - which reduce the accused to the status of non-person - has now entered the BB house. As it happens I don't agree with Biggins' comments about bi people., but I'm old enough to understand that he grew up in a world where the visibility of gay people was negligible . If gay people were mentioned at all, it was seen as a medical or criminal condition. The whole gay movement has been built on visibility and the strength to come out of the closet. It was a physical battle, literally a daily battle against the risk of black eyes , broken ribs or worse: much worse. Biggins comes from the time where many gay people pretended to be bi as it was seen as more 'acceptable' and straight people often believed that bi people would simply straighten themselves out. Thirty years or more ago the LGBT battle lines were drawn and people were upfront and blunt: they simply did not have a fear of names or opinions. The world has gone mad, with adults no longer able to cope with different opinions or words, or stand up to fight and win an argument. Any bi people, offended or not, should bow down to the Biggins of this world. Without their struggle, they would simply not be able to go about their business or enjoy the state of being constantly offended.
As for causing offence, was it not a couple of weeks ago that Chanel 5 showed a man sucking on a woman's nipple and the same women appearing to get fingered under the bed sheets? It didn't offend me but I'm sure plenty of people would be offended by it. The right to offend is absolutely crucial to the principal of Free Speech.
halfacrown is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:23 PM #162

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by halfacrown View Post
The mania for being a victim and giving other human beings titles like 'Bigot', 'Misogynist' etc - which reduce the accused to the status of non-person - has now entered the BB house. As it happens I don't agree with Biggins' comments about bi people., but I'm old enough to understand that he grew up in a world where the visibility of gay people was negligible . If gay people were mentioned at all, it was seen as a medical or criminal condition. The whole gay movement has been built on visibility and the strength to come out of the closet. It was a physical battle, literally a daily battle against the risk of black eyes , broken ribs or worse: much worse. Biggins comes from the time where many gay people pretended to be bi as it was seen as more 'acceptable' and straight people often believed that bi people would simply straighten themselves out. Thirty years or more ago the LGBT battle lines were drawn and people were upfront and blunt: they simply did not have a fear of names or opinions. The world has gone mad, with adults no longer able to cope with different opinions or words, or stand up to fight and win an argument. Any bi people, offended or not, should bow down to the Biggins of this world. Without their struggle, they would simply not be able to go about their business or enjoy the state of being constantly offended.
As for causing offence, was it not a couple of weeks ago that Chanel 5 showed a man sucking on a woman's nipple and the same women appearing to get fingered under the bed sheets? It didn't offend me but I'm sure plenty of people would be offended by it. The right to offend is absolutely crucial to the principal of Free Speech.
Oh please, I am very well versed on civil rights pioneers, particularly in the gay rights movement. Equating Biggins ignorant comment with such people really is extremely disrespectful.

Age is nothing but a number. I don't care if you're 10 or 100. There's no excuse to be ignorant on such things when there is information on the topic right at your feet.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:29 PM #163
-

-

Called it as soon as I saw the guy on launch night tbh.

Also highly amusing to see people banging on about the right to free speech as ever . He's not being arrested... Big Brother is a television show run by a privately owned television company, who can do whatever they think will best protect their viewership numbers and revenue. Full stop. It is not a public forum... they can remove whoever they want, for whatever reason they want. It's like when people try to apply the principles of free speech to a forum like TiBB and start bawling when those rights are "infringed". NOPE. Forum is PRIVATELY OWNED and the owners can KICK YOUR ARSE OFF OF IT ON A WHIM. For literally any reason. For no reason at all, in fact. Just like you can ask someone to leave your house if you don't want them there. It has absolutely jack **** to do with the right to free speech.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 05-08-2016 at 10:29 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:29 PM #164
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by y.winter View Post
That's a weird way of leaving the show. jeopardizing his public image.

Depends what he said and how it's handled when he comes out, he is nearly 70 a big pay out would suit him, there is no bonus for winning
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:32 PM #165
No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Amanda Barrie

No filter

Favourites (more):

Biggins exposed as Winston 2.0?
Old 05-08-2016, 10:32 PM #166

Quote:
Oh please, I am very well versed on civil rights pioneers, particularly in the gay rights movement. Equating Biggins ignorant comment with such people really is extremely disrespectful.

Age is nothing but a number. I don't care if you're 10 or 100. There's no excuse to be ignorant on such things when there is information on the topic right at your feet.
Yes age is irrelevant, but experience is not. Perhaps you think that the civil rights pioneers of the gay movement would be appalled by what Biggins said, they wouldn't, they were fighting so many worse, frightening, dangerous situations every day of their lives. I think it is ignorant to reject his efforts in the fight for gay rights.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:33 PM #167
No filter

Favourites (more):

No filter

Favourites (more):

A mess at Biggins getting removed over what else has been happening though, what the **** even is this mess of a series
Old 05-08-2016, 10:34 PM #168

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Yes age is irrelevant, but experience is not. Perhaps you think that the civil rights pioneers of the gay movement would be appalled by what Biggins said, they wouldn't, they were fighting so many worse, frightening, dangerous situations every day of their lives. I think it is ignorant to reject his efforts in the fight for gay rights.
This is just hypothetical. Have you any evidence that they wouldn't be appalled or...? My guess is no since most of them aren't alive anymore.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:43 PM #169

Quote:
This is just hypothetical. Have you any evidence that they wouldn't be appalled or...? My guess is no since most of them aren't alive anymore.
Not hypothetical at all! I am one of them myself. Yeah, I've had the black eyes, the broken ribs.. literally helped to fight against a crowd of Nazi-supporting skinheads trying to force their way into a gay pub. Queer bashing was rife in schools and on the street. I was born into a world where being actively gay was literally against the law. When you've lived in that world, it is not possible to be worked up about opinions like Biggins'. I disagree with him, but I respect him greatly.

Last edited by halfacrown; 06-08-2016 at 10:01 PM.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:49 PM #170

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Not hypothetical at all! I am one of them myself. Yeah, I've had the black eyes, the broken ribs.. literally helped to fight against a crowd of Nazi-supporting skinheads trying to force their way into a gay pub. Queer bashing was rife in schools and on the street. I was born into a world where being actively gay was literally against the law. When you've lived in that world, it is not possible to be worked up about opinions like Biggins. I disagree with him, but I respect him greatly.
I have no respect for a man who speaks of his own community with such disdain. I prefer men of principle.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:50 PM #171
sees everything

Favourites:
CBB18: Ricky Norwood
sees everything

Favourites:
CBB18: Ricky Norwood

Quote:
Not hypothetical at all! I am one of them myself. Yeah, I've had the black eyes, the broken ribs.. literally helped to fight against a crowd of Nazi-supporting skinheads trying to force their way into a gay pub. Queer bashing was rife in schools and on the street. I was born into a world where being actively gay was literally against the law. When you've lived in that world, it is not possible to be worked up about opinions like Biggins. I disagree with him, but I respect him greatly.
i don't respect biggins, but i certainly respect your post and shared attitude with hot2go on this topic
Jan S is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:51 PM #172

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Well said, Half-a-Crown. I'm not sure that the previous poster is aware that they've just made an ageist comment, suggesting that those involved in the struggle you describe are probably all dead anyway!
Clootie Dumpling is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:56 PM #173

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clootie Dumpling View Post
Well said, Half-a-Crown. I'm not sure that the previous poster is aware that they've just made an ageist comment, suggesting that those involved in the struggle you describe are probably all dead anyway!
Excuse me, I'm talking about people like Antony Grey, Bob Mellors, and Ray Gosling, all of who have now passed away and whose views totally contradict those the OP made. Check yourself and educate yourself.

As for those pioneers who are alive, I have never heard any of them express similar views to those Biggins made. Just sayin'.

Last edited by lovebigbrotheruk; 05-08-2016 at 10:57 PM.
lovebigbrotheruk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:57 PM #174

Quote:
I have no respect for a man who speaks of his own community with such disdain. I prefer men of principle.
Your lack of respect is coming through loud and clear. It seems pretty clear that he was complaining about gay people who've pretended to be bi so as to be more easily accepted. Before you dismiss this out of I hand, I was one of many myself who did it! It was a pretence for expediency. Perhaps it is Biggins who is principled for rejecting the lie.
Old 05-08-2016, 10:58 PM #175

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Your lack of respect is coming through loud and clear. It seems pretty clear that he was complaining about gay people who've pretended to be bi so as to be more easily accepted. Before you dismiss this out of I hand, I was one of many myself who did it! It was a pretence for expediency. Perhaps it is Biggins who is principled for rejecting the lie.
It is Biggins who is a big fat hypocrite for expecting respect for himself as a gay man, yet branding all bisexuals with the same brush with his unsubstantiated ignorance.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
big brother, biggins, breaking, christopher, house, merged, removed