Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB18 Celebrity Big Brother Summer 2016 [CBB 18] won by Stephen Bear here.

Old 07-08-2016, 03:27 PM #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan S View Post
i think he was aware that katie is jewish but she's a very different person to someone like his friend lesley joseph; she'd have probably come back with something even more colourful.

most of us have friends we could say certain things to and would not say those same things to others. guess it's about who shares your sense of humour. but having some emotional intelligence about things, some empathy to get that not everyone finds the same things funny (and why) goes a long way. not convinced biggins will learn anything from this, much, as so many involved in his career are in full damage-limitation mode and assuring him it's not his fault.
Humour is a real tricky thing in a situation where your opponents are trying to get you removed....firstly what's funny outside must feel very different in that pressure cooker of strangers with different ticks on the world...also some humour, often that I like, can be taken literally, on purpose, and used back as a means of diminishing the other person. I'm not saying Katie did that but any of them could have if they'd wanted to play dirty.....but as you said earlier, surly he must know this tho, he's been a friend of the show for years..
hot2go is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 03:36 PM #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThriceShy View Post
Why would you remove someone simply because they say they don't like bisexuals?
Well in truth, when he said he didn't like Bisexuals I though people's reaction was way out of proportion....it was his opinion and it was also prob born out of his own exp of them...it def didn't deserve being thrown out for even if I didn't like him or share his perspective.
But when he said AIDS was a Bisexual disease and they are to blame for spreading it around the Western World I knew he was f-cked....that's not just an opinion that's an accusation. Imagine if he'd said Muslims were to blame or Catholics ....you can't go around saying that sh-t on television.
Old 07-08-2016, 03:38 PM #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot2go View Post
Well in truth, when he said he didn't like Bisexuals I though people's reaction was way out of proportion....it was his opinion and it was also prob born out of his own exp of them...it def didn't deserve being thrown out for even if I didn't like him or share his perspective.
But when he said AIDS was a Bisexual disease and they are to blame for spreading it around the Western World I knew he was f-cked....that's not just an opinion that's an accusation. Imagine if he'd said Muslims were to blame or Catholics ....you can't go around saying that sh-t on television.
He didn't even give that as his own opinion. Didn't he say a scientist had told him?

He was just repeating a theory.

He has done nothing to warrant his removal.
ThriceShy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 04:23 PM #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThriceShy View Post
He didn't even give that as his own opinion. Didn't he say a scientist had told him?

He was just repeating a theory.

He has done nothing to warrant his removal.
Thrice I agree with you a lot so who am I to say you're opinion is wrong ....I think he's a victim of his own ignorance and stupidity more than his attempt to spread hate but from the producers position I can see why they would need to take care....as I gay guy I know how it felt to be blamed for that awful disease so I can only sympathise with the bisexual community. It does make it easier for me to take my stand on it though because I've never liked the guy, I'm really glad it wasn't someone I respect.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:26 PM #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Monkey View Post
So let us see the footage and vote to evict him.That is the name of the game.
Agreed, well said.
LTWTW is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 05:44 PM #56
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan S View Post
the man's like so many old people - they don't see how their comments and attitudes can cause offence and are often quite bewildered and upset when people call them out on it. the trouble is, he's only 67 - 10 years older than me - and his views are like those i'd hear aired by some 80 year old volunteer ladies in the shop i used to work in. 10 years is a blink of an eye, and yet he's like a dinosaur. a dinosaur that has, till now, been able to cover his generally unpleasant personality behind the big bright biggins persona.

just like most those older people who get called on their bigotry, he does the whole 'but i have friends who are a/b/c so i can't be...'. The thing is, the kind of jokes he might be able to crack with leslie joseph and not offend aren't necessarily going to be taken the same way by others who don't know him or who are prepared to ignore his off-colour remarks for the sake of showbiz luvviness.

he's a bigot & a liability on the show, though he's in good company with that latter observation.
I love this comment. These are aspects I always consider with much older cast members. It is common that they lose some of their filter as they age. It's a lot like going backwards in brain development/time. Just like children's brains develop over time they're more prone to say inappropriate things and with the elderly as it is similar. They're not able to control emotions as well, can fly off the handle over the slightest thing and tend to be more anxious around unfamiliar surroundings or people. I've done care-taking so I've had to 'catch' things like this.

It's majorly exacerbated with people who are shut-in's to begin with or people who just never were big "thinkers". The only way to really combat mental decline is to stimulate the mind, play puzzles, watch TV shows, stay in contact with the outside world... in other words, stay stimulated. People who don't do those things or lead a very isolated/sedentary lifestyle tend to regress a lot faster imo.

I think in Biggin's it's fairly mild, but for all we know, his outside life is a huge air bubble like you said and that this strong of an opinion is accepted by his peers... or he is not used to strong personalities or people who can contradict him so he is trying to "win" people over by having 'strong' opinions (i.e. race to be the fastest moron...)... I feel it's a mix of both.

I saw it really bad in Angie though. She should've never been cast. I think at one point she said she was a shut-in and I could totally see it.

Brain Atrophy In Elderly Leads To Unintended Racism, Depression And Problem Gambling
https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0921100332.htm

Notice what I italicized in the header...

Last edited by Maru; 07-08-2016 at 05:48 PM.
Maru is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:08 PM #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I feel like, as a Jew, you can't have an objective view of this and should leave the discussion to us Christians to be honest. Jews are notorious for having a bad grasp of humour and Katie Waissel, if anything, is one of the few exceptions to that rule.
puzzled is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:20 PM #58

I think this why they are calling the younger generation "generation snowflake" - what he was distasteful but many old people come out with the most un PC stuff - I honestly believe in free speech - not in inciting hatred - but the freedom to speak your beliefs - why do people constantly get offended so easily?
sungrass is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 07:30 PM #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungrass View Post
I think this why they are calling the younger generation "generation snowflake" - what he was distasteful but many old people come out with the most un PC stuff - I honestly believe in free speech - not in inciting hatred - but the freedom to speak your beliefs - why do people constantly get offended so easily?
You can get quick bucks from litigation
Daffodil is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:09 PM #60
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
As a Jewish woman I'd like to say to Katie... get a ****ing grip. Worry about the anti-Semitism in the Labour party and stop bursting into tears over ridiculous comments clearly meant in jest. If she was upset enough to be upset by a comment like that then she's clearly led a very sheltered life.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
biggins