Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:05 PM #76

I'd love to know how these studs prevent people pissing.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:25 PM #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
I agree, that's a point someone was making on Jeremy Vine today how what this really highlights is just how much a problem homelessness is becoming, this is a symptom of that, it isn't meant to be a solution. It might seem cruel but these areas are private property and where people live, it's understandable that they would not want a homeless person sleeping and essentially living on their step. Instead there should be designated areas where people can go or at least have somewhere public available

Bang On Right
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:25 PM #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
I'd love to know how these studs prevent people pissing.

The sun reflects in their Eyes
Old 09-06-2014, 06:34 PM #79
0_o

0_o

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...s-9514421.html

Quote:
Boris Johnson has called for the removal of “stupid” spikes installed outside a London housing development as a deterrent to homeless people – prompting immediate criticism of his own record on people sleeping rough in the capital.

The spikes have been compared to similar measures used to keep pigeons off roofs and statues across London, and criticised in an online petition as “sending [homeless people] the message that they are pests that need to be warded off”.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:40 PM #80
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Boris speaks out against the spikes and of course he is instantly criticised for homeless people on the Streets of London. It's not as if before he was mayor there were no homeless people. The fact is that homeless people flock from all over the country and all over the world to London and their problem becomes London's problem. Actually, it's a national problem and it's the government who should be stepping up. As should the previous government... but they didn't.

Last edited by Livia; 09-06-2014 at 06:41 PM.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:47 PM #81
0_o

0_o

Yeah I dont think its fair to blame Boris at all tbh

The fact that there are something ridiculous like 600k empty homes in this country whilst people sleep on the streets is a ****ing disgrace IMO.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:50 PM #82
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Couldn't agree more, Vicky. It's bloody shameful. What are we, something like the fifth richest country in the world, and there are people who for one reason or another don't have a door their can close on the world and have a little comfort. And each successive government has done bugger all.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:05 PM #83

Its Not Even Public land

Why are so many trying to get Political on this.
Old 09-06-2014, 09:43 PM #84
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Yeah I dont think its fair to blame Boris at all tbh

The fact that there are something ridiculous like 600k empty homes in this country whilst people sleep on the streets is a ****ing disgrace IMO.
I actually read fairly recently that there are enough empty homes / buildings in Europe to provide a bedroom for every single homeless person. Which is completely ridiculous, when you think about it.

I've always said that if I became homeless I wouldn't be "homeless". There was a house around the corner from where I lived a few years ago, that was completely empty and seemingly forgotten about. I know that for the two years I was there, at least, no one even glanced at it - the door was overgrown with weeds and had obviously not been opened for several years.

I'd just find somewhere like that and set up a little squat. No one would ever know. In fact you could probably even set up utilities and walk in and out as if you lived there legitimately, and no one would know any different.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 12:50 AM #85
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

And out trots the straw man....
Of course it's a problem nationally and has been but have we ever had the withdrawal of premises, funding, staff or resources in this area.... the mental health sector or the rise in the rents in the capital as well as the bedroom tax that has seen so many people evicted from their homes?... No.
Old 10-06-2014, 01:01 AM #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
And out trots the straw man....
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:18 AM #87
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
That poor guy

More proof if it were needed that it is recent changes that have forced many out onto the streets....

Hundreds of vulnerable homeless people face being turned out on to the streets amid confusion over how local authorities should interpret a legal ruling which could trigger the closure of emergency night shelters.

Some shelters which rely on housing benefit payments to fund their operations could be forced to shut after a court ruled that they do not legally constitute a dwelling, and so cannot claim the benefit on behalf of shelter users.

One shelter has been forced to shut its doors after Salford council in Greater Manchester said it would no longer accept its housing benefit claims.

The Narrowgate project was giving temporary accommodation to 28 homeless men and women each night. It shut its doors in April after Salford council invoked the ruling and cut off housing benefit payments.'

"I have a sleeping bag, but I've had to sleep in doorways, railway stations, bus stations – anywhere I can. It gets pretty bad out there, pretty depressing'

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...night-shelters

Last edited by Kizzy; 10-06-2014 at 01:20 AM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:28 AM #88

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..exactly, that's the issue really..no there shouldn't be people sleeping in doorways at all because the homeless should be provided with a basic shelter/food/toilet facilities etc..it's ridiculous that they aren't and rather than missing the point completely and putting spikes down, the money it cost could have gone toward thinking about actually helping with that...
I agree......the idea that all homeless people are lazy idle workshy dropouts simply isn't true people become homeless for a variety of reasons, some have mental health or health issues others drug and alcohol addictions.

Many are victims of abuse or ex-con's who cannot get any sort of work.

There are many reasons why people slip through the safety net and end up on the streets. As a caring society we need to do more, to offer more to help these people. we should have far more shelters and homeless Hostels and other schemes that can offer an escape from such a humiliating existance.

We are supposed to be the 4th or 5th largest economy in the world so instead to giving hundreds of millions of pounds away to third world countries with space programs perhaps that money would be better suited to helping the poor and homeless in this country.
Old 10-06-2014, 10:38 AM #89
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

The cost of putting those spikes down would give a bed to a few people for a couple of nights only wouldn't it? it's not even a sticking plaster solution to the problem it's a blindfold.
Out of sight out of mind, not on my doorstep suburban urban sprawl has no space for blots on the landscape for the homeless.
It's not even care in the community anymore, it's close down your facility and face condemnation in the community.

Last edited by Kizzy; 10-06-2014 at 10:39 AM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 10:45 AM #90

Quote:
The cost of putting those spikes down would give a bed to a few people for a couple of nights only wouldn't it? it's not even a sticking plaster solution to the problem it's a blindfold.
Out of sight out of mind, not on my doorstep suburban urban sprawl has no space for blots on the landscape for the homeless.
It's not even care in the community anymore, it's close down your facility and face condemnation in the community.

No Kizzy
its a Private Building

Care is there
Some Charitys help the homeless
Old 10-06-2014, 11:11 AM #91
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
No Kizzy
its a Private Building

Care is there
Some Charitys help the homeless
I know it is... where did I say it wasn't? I wasn't suggesting the business or housing complex or whatever fund any projects.
Did you see my post on the changes to the way the homeless facilities function had changed, and that many are not now viable?
Charities can't help the homeless their hands are tied, in the capital the cost of property is so astronomical how would anyone get funding for a hostel there?
Old 29-01-2017, 12:12 PM #92
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

These homeless spikes are looking deadlier by the day...imagine falling on these..

Metal spikes designed to prevent homeless people sleeping on the ground have been placed outside a building in Manchester city centre.

The council has condemned the “demeaning” devices at Pall Mall Court, which lies in a semi-sheltered area.

Manchester has seen an increase in rough sleepers, up to 78 in 2016 from 70 the previous year, and 1,600 children were living in temporary accommodation in September 2016.'

Spoiler:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7551136.html
Old 29-01-2017, 12:50 PM #93
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Thought this was gonna be a rihanna unreleased track for a second

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 01:32 PM #94
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Anti-homeless studs at London residential block prompt uproar
Critics say spikes treat homeless 'like pigeons' as residents fear short ground spikes at doorway are to deter rough sleepers.

Katharine Sacks-Jones, head of policy and campaigns at Crisis, said: "This is happening in a context where rough sleeping has gone up massively. Over the last three years rough sleeping has risen by 36% nationally and by 75% in London. More than 6,400 people slept rough in London last year."

"The reason for that increase is the continuing economic downturn, the housing shortage, and cuts to benefits, particularly housing benefit."

Do you agree with these, or are we treating the homeless worse than we treat animals?

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...n-block-uproar
I think we should look after our homeless before taking in more people and giving them homes that could have gone to the homeless. Charity begins at home.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
anti, homeless, studs