Notices

BB16 Big Brother 16 aka Big Brother: Timebomb started 12th May 2015, and was won by Chloe Wilburn. Discuss the housemates and show in this forum.

Old 02-03-2017, 08:33 PM #1

Default Watching BB16 for first time - really struggling to maintain interest since 4in4out

Hi everyone. This is my first post!

I am watching for the first time on youtube and just wondering if anyone else had/has the same feelings I have towards this 2015 series so far (I'm about 3 weeks in).

I thought this series had one of the best mix of characters for a long time and (with a few exceptions) really interesting dynamics were forming. I like watching relationships, dynamics, and drama unfolding naturally and I thought this house had the perfect mix of personalities that were allowing that to happen. There was a good mix of laughter and tears and arguments and all the usual BB elements but it was all happening naturally because of the personalities.

Then, for no reason, "Big Brother" seems to have decided to create artificial drama instead. They keep injecting "twists" which I find boring and unnecessary, removed some great personalities and replaced them with new housemates that I struggle to find interest in despite BB's obvious opinion that these housemates will be better and "stir things up". I don't understand the need to mess with it, the show was fine. Now it's rubbish. Aaron leaving at the same time didn't help either (although I understand why he had to).

Every episode there seems to be a new "twist" or surprise revelation by BB. All of the "games" tasks seem to involve BB revealing things other housemates have said about each other, or making housemates give opinions about each other, in a really pathetic attempt to stir up trouble but it never works and is just boring. There is hardly any screentime devoted to just watching the dynamics and conversations in the house, unless it's related to them talking about their secret missions and twists etc.

I feel like the series had a really good start for the fist 3 weeks and BB's constant interfering has completely ruined it.

I'm just curious if other members had the same feelings at the time, or am I in the minority? And if they did feel the same or understand what I mean, do things improve again? Or should I stop wasting time and move on to a different series?

Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! I am so sick! Of hearing! About! ME!"

crashandburn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:40 PM #2

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Renee Graziano

Favourites (more):

it's one of the worst seasons of all time

i'd stop watching if i were you
RichardG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:52 PM #3
laura carter stan

Favourites (more):
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

Welcome to the forum! BB16 is absolutely shįte, I can confirm. (apart from when Nikki makes a random appearance for two weeks)
Greg! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 08:57 PM #4
laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

laura carter stan

Favourites (more):

If you haven't already seen them I would suggest watching BB17, BB14 or BB13 if you want a good recent series
Greg! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:00 PM #5
Stellar all-star line up

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BBCanada 5: Karen

Stellar all-star line up

Favourites (more):

Welcome!

BB16 was entirely unable to stand on it's own, and became a vessel for a half-assed All Stars series
Old 02-03-2017, 09:03 PM #6
-

-

You're correct. BB16 was doing fine and was shaping up to be an 8/10 series, but the ratings were naff so producers stopped it in its tracks and ruined it.
Jake. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:05 PM #7
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

I prefer 16 to 15 but that's because of the cast.

Spoiler:

LukeB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:07 PM #8
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

Yeah, I think a lot of people were commenting that the first two weeks of BB16 felt very C4-esque and that things were developing nicely, and then Ben Frow saw red because of the struggling ratings, demanded something be done and in typical fashion the most incompetent production team in television destroyed a really promising series in the course of 90 minutes. It never really recovered

BB16 is basically a crash course in 'How Not to Produce a Television Show'
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:30 PM #9
-

-

When you thought BB15 was just a one-off and it couldn't get any worse...then we got BB16 a year later and somehow it was an even bigger mess.
Jason. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:42 PM #10
Stellar all-star line up

Favourites (more):

Stellar all-star line up

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason. View Post
When you thought BB15 was just a one-off and it couldn't get any worse...then we got BB16 a year later and somehow it was an even bigger mess.
The most atrocious thing is you can't even say "Well at least BB16 didn't have Helen"
Old 02-03-2017, 09:46 PM #11

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tregard View Post
The most atrocious thing is you can't even say "Well at least BB16 didn't have Helen"
Old 02-03-2017, 09:49 PM #12
Banned

Banned

You've basically seen anything worth watching of that season by 4in4out. The rest is complete and utter dirge.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:50 PM #13

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardG View Post
it's one of the worst seasons of all time

i'd stop watching if i were you
Pretty much all that needs saying
Jordan. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:02 PM #14

Wow thanks for all the replies! I will give up on the series and not watch any more. I am really disappointed because I thought it had some good characters like Jade, Sarah and Aaron but then it turned to crap.

I appreciate your guys' help because I didn't want to waste time watching much more if it wasn't going to improve. Thank you for the recommendations of recent years that were better too.

What's the best of 13, 14 and 17? I don't like years that are dominated by bullying/aggressive characters like Rex or Charlie.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:02 PM #15

I don't necessarily HATE BB16 like most here do but I do still think it's not a very good season. My main issue with it stems from it not really knowing what it's supposed to be. It's the only season that went through a bunch of phases in the framing and presentation of it. To me it went through 4 key eras that are marginally different from each other and have varying levels of quality.

Originals Era (Days 1-18) - The cast is normal and down to earth with a bunch of contrasting personalities. You have your normal people (Chloe, Kieran, Jack, Cristian), your colorful complex people (Nick, Joel, Jade,), your fiery and over the top people (Harriet, Twins, Aaron, Eileen, Adjoa) and your ro/showmance (Danny, Sarah). Jade, Nick, and Jack are arguably the main people of the season and you learn a lot about those 3 especially. This era ends with 4in4out.

Marq Era (Days 19-32) - By now, half of the original cast has already been evicted and 4 new people are on display (I'd count Simon as an intruder tbh). The main person is Marc here. Most highlights shows revolve around him or he's at least a very prominent personality. Marc, Simon, Chloe, Nick, and Harry are the more important characters of this. Ends with Marc's fake eviction.

Legends Era (Days 33-53) - Marc is fake evicted and is joined by Nikki, Brian, and Helen (she robbed Gina!!!!). Once they all re-enter the house, Marc is no longer thought of as a likable person by the rest of the cast and most of them are now distrustful and wary of him. Helen and Brian clash a lot until Brian eventually quits after being compared to a rapist/murderer. He's randomly replaced by Aisleyne 3 days before Helen and Nikki leave just so there can be a short lived Aisleyne/Helen conflict. After Helen and Nikki leave the series gets pumped with more random housemate cameos for an entire shopping task week for no reason that I can think of other than pulling in ratings. Main people in this era is Marc, Danny, Helen, Brian, Aisleyne, and Nikki (MESS). Apart from those 5 the rest of the cast are either prominent every now and again or barely come on display at all. <strike>IMPORTANT NOTE: Entire series turns to **** after Jade's eviction!!!</strike>

Final Era (Days 54-66) - Marc, Aisleyne, and all past housemates are gone so now we get this prize money dropping thing along with some ways to push housemates into the final, either by offering immunities during a nomination ceremony (what????) or by letting nominees save themselves and getting to the final by putting someone else up, even though the only person that can be up is Chloe, so this is clearly a blatant way to try and evict her (she wins two weeks later lol). Prominent people are Chloe, Jack, Joel, and Harry

See what the problem is here? BB16 is a poor season because it doesn't know what season it's supposed to identify as, though I think we can all just identify it as a completely manic season full of production rigging at the forefront of it all.
Epic. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:16 PM #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic. View Post
full of production rigging at the forefront of it all.
Yes I agree from what I have seen. "Production rigging" is the phrase I was looking for in my original post. I hope the production team concluded this wasn't successful and learned lessons.

It seems like every "game", "task" and "twist" they throw out there is done with the aim of having specific results for specific housemates. This isn't how BB should be in my opinion (It also hardly ever seems to work the way they blatantly want it to - which they should have learned by now). They should back the ******* off, throw in the odd twist to keep things interesting sure (nobody wants another BB4), but for the most part let the housemates create their own drama.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:21 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashandburn View Post
Yes I agree from what I have seen. "Production rigging" is the phrase I was looking for in my original post. I hope the production team concluded this wasn't successful and learned lessons.

It seems like every "game", "task" and "twist" they throw out there is done with the aim of having specific results for specific housemates. This isn't how BB should be in my opinion (It also hardly ever seems to work the way they blatantly want it to - which they should have learned by now). They should back the ******* off, throw in the odd twist to keep things interesting sure (nobody wants another BB4), but for the most part let the housemates create their own drama.
BB17 sadly also has elements of this too but I will still say it's a good season.

As for your question on the best recent season, all 3 have popularity on par with each other so it's hard to tell what you'd like most.
Epic. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:22 PM #18

Quote:
Wow thanks for all the replies! I will give up on the series and not watch any more. I am really disappointed because I thought it had some good characters like Jade, Sarah and Aaron but then it turned to crap.

I appreciate your guys' help because I didn't want to waste time watching much more if it wasn't going to improve. Thank you for the recommendations of recent years that were better too.

What's the best of 13, 14 and 17?
I don't like years that are dominated by bullying/aggressive characters like Rex or Charlie.
13 is brilliant. The other two, not so much.
Ashley. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:30 PM #19

Thanks so much guys I'm excited to have found this forum.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:34 PM #20
No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Amanda Barrie

No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Amanda Barrie

It was a ****ing abysmal series that could have been one of the best if the producers hadn't ****ed around with it
Old 02-03-2017, 10:53 PM #21

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

What's the best of 13, 14 and 17? I don't like years that are dominated by bullying/aggressive characters like Rex or Charlie.
out of those three my favourite was 14

13 and 17 were both good as well though. perhaps 13 more than 17, but then 17 is the shortest season ever i think so it would be quicker to get through

Last edited by RichardG; 02-03-2017 at 11:02 PM.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:05 AM #22
Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 6: Siannise

Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 6: Siannise

Harry lying in bed depressed with ha fanny open waiting for Nick to knock her up basically sums up the post-4in4out portion.

Last edited by Wizard.; 03-03-2017 at 12:06 AM.
Wizard. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 12:10 AM #23
Namaste

Namaste

I really enjoyed the first couple of weeks. Shame it turned into one of the most unbearably tedious things I've ever forced myself to watch.
Lostie! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 02:13 PM #24
South-East London It Girl

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
BBCanada 5: Ika
South-East London It Girl

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
BBCanada 5: Ika

IIRC almost everyone on the forum thought the first few weeks were boring. Nothing was happening, the highlights show was drab and their attempts to start drama with tasks centred around exposing housemates and their flaws were failures and didn't ignite anything major. Despite the boredom, we all still thought the 4 in 4 out twist was stupid, but at least it gave us Marc who made the series slightly better I guess.
Old 07-03-2017, 02:36 PM #25
BB Sees All 👀

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
BB19: Brooke

BB Sees All 👀

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
BB19: Brooke

4in4out was the worst twist ever.

Completely ruined the series.

Thanks to Littlegreen for my lovely sig