Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 13-08-2017, 04:15 PM #51

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
You can tell by the tactics and points that campaigns use and focus on which are most effective. The leave campaign didn't really pick up pace until Immigration and the NHS lie became the cornerstones of the Leave argument. It had the most traction with the public as a whole, if they didn't they wouldn't have become the focal points of the vote.

Same with the latest elections, May was dependant on slogans ('Strong and Stable', 'No deal is better than a bad deal') and if they weren't effective in generating a positive response from voters then they wouldn't have relied on them so heavily.

You accuse me of arrogance (hypocritical considering how offended you act later on in the paragraph) yet my statements are based on looking at the tactics used by campaigns and simple knowledge of the public as a whole. You can pretend that everyone is informed and know exactly what they are voting for all you like but it won't reflect the reality that most voters won't ever research what they are voting on and don't really understand WHAT they are voting for which is why shallow tactics like slogans and headlines are so effective because people don't care enough to look into it any deeper than that.

The rest is just you looking for reasons to be offended to discount what I said instead of forming an actual argument against it so I shan't bother responding to it.
You just did respond. It's kind of amusing how you accuse others of having no argument and then base your post on what you know about how the nation thinks.

You are assuming, once again, that people voted based solely on the campaign. The reality is that not everyone votes based on campaigns. For instance there are people who will vote Labour or Tory every time regardless so the campaign at each election means very little to them.

Your simple knowledge of the public as a whole is some sort of telepathy skills?

Hypocrasy accusations? Pot, kettle.

Don't keep replying Dezzy, I have better things to do with my time.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 04:52 PM #52
User banned

User banned

Quote:
A mantra that I've repeated for years on this section is 'Everyone is entitled to an opinion and everyone else is entitled to an opinion on that opinion.' Deflecting won't change that, Brillo.
As usual that works both ways. I'm not deflecting anything.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 05:00 PM #53
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Coming from you? How often are you insulting people who believe in PC or the left in general? Get off that high horse before it collapses under the weight of your hypocrisy. Also good for you for trying to be PC

I've never denied the masses their opinions, I've simply commented on them. You and others, however, do constantly try to shut down opinions you don't like be pretending to be offended and making out that anything you dislike is a rule break.

I haven't called any member names or questioned their intelligence. Again, like Jaxie, you are trying to invalidate my opinion by making out that I'm insulting members when I've not simply because you can't handle opinions you disagree with.
But you're the one getting all ancie when people comment on your opinions if you don't like the comments - accusing people of having it in for you because they don't like you or of trying to undermine you. Waste of time. You only hear what you want to hear. Your mindset is set in stone just as you accuse others of.

Last edited by Brillopad; 13-08-2017 at 05:08 PM.
Old 13-08-2017, 09:30 PM #54
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
You just did respond. It's kind of amusing how you accuse others of having no argument and then base your post on what you know about how the nation thinks.

You are assuming, once again, that people voted based solely on the campaign. The reality is that not everyone votes based on campaigns. For instance there are people who will vote Labour or Tory every time regardless so the campaign at each election means very little to them.

Your simple knowledge of the public as a whole is some sort of telepathy skills?

Hypocrasy accusations? Pot, kettle.

Don't keep replying Dezzy, I have better things to do with my time.
Ah, look who's trying to repress opposing opinions. I'll share my opinion because i'm ****ing entitled to do so whether you like it or not.

To think that the majority of voters didn't vote based on the campaign is foolishness. It's one regard in which the election and the Referendum are different because some people will typically always vote for their preferred parties but there was no historic precedent when it came to the referendum. Most parties were divided over it.

Again you can deny it all you want but immigration and the NHS lie WAS the centrepiece of the whole Leave campaign and it was what swayed the public in the favour of Leave when Remain had the poll numbers for months leading up to the vote. You can make all the low jibes you want to hide the fact that you can't argue against what I'm saying but it won't make what I'm saying any less true.

A majority of voters, like always, did not understand what they were voting for. Scream and rage all you want, it doesn't change that.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2017, 09:31 PM #55
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
As usual that works both ways. I'm not deflecting anything.
Ah, a nothing response then.
Old 13-08-2017, 09:35 PM #56
Banned

Banned

Quote:
But you're the one getting all ancie when people comment on your opinions if you don't like the comments - accusing people of having it in for you because they don't like you or of trying to undermine you. Waste of time. You only hear what you want to hear. Your mindset is set in stone just as you accuse others of.
Are you suffering from memory loss, Brillo?

I stated my opinion and it was Jaxie that couldn't handle it and you backed her up. Everything you accuse me off, you are guilty of and more but you lack the self awareness to see it.

I stated my opinion that the public were largely ignorant and you and Jaxie went on the attack since you couldn't handle my opinion because you try to shut down any opinion that's different from your own.
Old 13-08-2017, 10:26 PM #57
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Why is LSE giving promos to buzzfeed not the financial times or another broadsheet?

Curiouser and curiouser... :/
Old 13-08-2017, 10:43 PM #58

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Kiefer
RPDR UK 2: Ginny Lemon

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Why is LSE giving promos to buzzfeed not the financial times or another broadsheet?

Curiouser and curiouser... :/
The whole 'study' seems to just confirm that most people are still very confused about the facts and unaware of the real implications of Brexit.

There was only 3000 people involved in this too which really isn't enough to come to any clear conclusion, especially when we don't know who the people were and how they came to take part in this.

The fact that leavers are so terrified of any possibility of another referendum says a lot about how the first result was obtained. They just use the old ''not respecting democracy blah'' line when, if they were really interested in real democracy then they'd welcome avote now that people are at least slightly more aware of the facts, or at least those whopping lies used to convince many of the need to leave the EU have been well and truly debunked.

We can also back out of Brexit at any point before it's been completed, which will be years.............if it even happens at all.
JTM45 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 04:25 AM #59
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM45 View Post
The whole 'study' seems to just confirm that most people are still very confused about the facts and unaware of the real implications of Brexit.

There was only 3000 people involved in this too which really isn't enough to come to any clear conclusion, especially when we don't know who the people were and how they came to take part in this.

The fact that leavers are so terrified of any possibility of another referendum says a lot about how the first result was obtained. They just use the old ''not respecting democracy blah'' line when, if they were really interested in real democracy then they'd welcome avote now that people are at least slightly more aware of the facts, or at least those whopping lies used to convince many of the need to leave the EU have been well and truly debunked.

We can also back out of Brexit at any point before it's been completed, which will be years.............if it even happens at all.
Your respect for democracy, or rather lack of it when it suits, is clear, although no doubt if the referendum had gone your way and the leavers were wanting a second referendum it would be a different story.

Maybe from now on we should all call for a second vote every time we elect a new priminister if we don't like the result. Or maybe a third would be fairer - best of three and all that. Why stop there - we could just keep demanding repeat votes to kingdom come until we get our own way, but then the other side would demand another ...

You are living in cloud cuckoo land - it won't happen. There would be a public uproar not to mention the future implications for public votes. We were informed - if you and whoever else didn't bother to listen - lesson learned which is clearly a bitter pill to swallow.

Speaking of buying into lies - the subject of clearing student debt comes to mind - you know those ones that did get all those youngsters, who didn't bother to vote in the referendum, to finally listen. Too little too late.

Last edited by Brillopad; 14-08-2017 at 04:44 AM.
Old 14-08-2017, 04:45 AM #60

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Your respect for democracy, or rather lack of it when it suits, is clear, although no doubt if the referendum had gone your way and the leavers were wanting a second referendum it would be a different story.
You're just making it up as you go along!

This is SUCH an important subject where people were at best poorly informed and, at worst, repeatedly lied to on key issues that helped them decide how they were going to vote.

Once this has happened there'll be no going back on it so, in the true spirit of democracy, why would you have a problem with a better informed UK population making sure they are doing the right thing before taking such a MASSIVE step that, if it doesn't go well, could destroy our economy completely ? Why wouldn't you want to be sure and give people the chance, now that they know that some major selling points used by the leave side were nothing more than lies made up to make their case look stronger ? Denying people that opportunity would be completely un-democratic. Or would you rather go with a result that could have come about through dishonest means just because those lies got you the result you wanted ?

Last edited by JTM45; 14-08-2017 at 04:46 AM.
Old 14-08-2017, 04:58 AM #61
User banned

User banned

Quote:
You're just making it up as you go along!

This is SUCH an important subject where people were at best poorly informed and, at worst, repeatedly lied to on key issues that helped them decide how they were going to vote.

Once this has happened there'll be no going back on it so, in the true spirit of democracy, why would you have a problem with a better informed UK population making sure they are doing the right thing before taking such a MASSIVE step that, if it doesn't go well, could destroy our economy completely ? Why wouldn't you want to be sure and give people the chance, now that they know that some major selling points used by the leave side were nothing more than lies made up to make their case look stronger ? Denying people that opportunity would be completely un-democratic. Or would you rather go with a result that could have come about through dishonest means just because those lies got you the result you wanted ?
The true spirit of democracy has already occurred. You can try to manipulate the word all you like - changes nothing, and will change nothing. Very weak attempt at emotional blackmail, but the level of. desperation is painfully clear.

Those 'lies' had nothing to do with my vote. Most probably made up their minds long before. You are making a lot of assumptions out of desperation.

Last edited by Brillopad; 14-08-2017 at 05:02 AM.
Old 14-08-2017, 05:08 AM #62

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
The true spirit of democracy has already occurred. You can try to manipulate the word all you like - changes nothing, and will change nothing. Very weak attempt at emotional blackmail, but the level of. desperation is painfully clear.

Those 'lies' had nothing to do with my vote. Most probably made up their minds long before. You are making a lot of assumptions out of desperation.
You clearly don't understand what 'Democracy' is then!

I know people who voted leave because of the lies spread by the leave campaign that £350 million a week would go directly into the NHS instead of to the EU.

You do realize that at any point up until Brexit is completed we can change our minds do you ? It's part of the terms and there's a very good chance, with the increasing uncertainty and nervousness that's building, that Brexit won't even happen.

Don't you care about the economy of our Country ?
I have nothingto personally gain by Brexit not happening but i don't want to see our Country ruined.

Last edited by JTM45; 14-08-2017 at 05:10 AM.
Old 14-08-2017, 05:20 AM #63

Quote:
https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamesball/r...jX4#.txJrdw3Mb

This seemed obvious for a while now despite attempts by some to suggest otherwise. People respecting a public vote despite not entirely agreeing with leaving the EU is admirable and what democracy is all about. ance2:
Welcome back Brillopad. I've missed you.
jennyjuniper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-08-2017, 05:24 AM #64
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjuniper View Post
Welcome back Brillopad. I've missed you.
Thank you Jenny!
Old 14-08-2017, 05:29 AM #65
User banned

User banned

Quote:
You clearly don't understand what 'Democracy' is then!

I know people who voted leave because of the lies spread by the leave campaign that £350 million a week would go directly into the NHS instead of to the EU.

You do realize that at any point up until Brexit is completed we can change our minds do you ? It's part of the terms and there's a very good chance, with the increasing uncertainty and nervousness that's building, that Brexit won't even happen.

Don't you care about the economy of our Country ?
I have nothingto personally gain by Brexit not happening but i don't want to see our Country ruined.
That comes down to viewpoint and who you believe. I have seen as many expert positive views of the effects of leaving the EU as I have the negative views (excluding all the obvious scaremongering).

The negative views are not proven facts - they are opinions depending on who has to gain from what. Self-interest is always top of the priorities of many.

Last edited by Brillopad; 14-08-2017 at 05:30 AM.
Old 14-08-2017, 05:36 AM #66

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Like talking to a brick wall..............that's about to fall down.
Old 14-08-2017, 06:37 AM #67

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Like talking to a brick wall..............that's about to fall down.
You are peddling a fantasy based on hot air.
Eventually you'll see the world isn't going to end when we leave the EU.
You are the one who doesn't understand democracy. It is the rule of majority, in this case the majority who voted leave. It isn't the rule of let's keep voting until I get my way. That's dictatorship.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 14-08-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old 14-08-2017, 07:21 AM #68

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

The ''fantasy based on hot air'' was that we'd save £350 million a week that would go directly back into the NHS when we left the EU. It was actually a full-on lie!

Democracy is NOT ''the rule of majority''. Talk about 'the blind leading the blind'.

Democracy; a system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives.

You just want to grasp onto a referedum result that was gained by the use of lies and ignorance.
If you didn't you'd have no problem with people voting now that they are better informed on the possible detrimental consequences of leaving the EU and now that they know that lies were used by the leave campaign which has been admitted.

Last edited by JTM45; 14-08-2017 at 07:24 AM.
Old 14-08-2017, 07:30 AM #69

A gentle reminder to those moaning about ‘democracy’. In this year’s GE the Tories not only lost their majority, but the British people also rejected their Hard Brexit.
When people voted yay or neigh for Brexit, they weren’t asked to vote on a ‘hard’ or ‘soft’ Brexit. A simple ‘stay’ or ‘leave’ sufficed and that’s why people who voted out have every right to be ****ing annoyed.

Here's yet another example, if any were needed, showing how Brexit aka The Government is falling apart.

To all those hardline Brexiteers determined to see as much damage done to the British economy as possible. Get a grip and start reminding yourself, this is not a fcuking pantomime.
Old 14-08-2017, 11:52 AM #70
Banned

Banned

Quote:

Maybe from now on we should all call for a second vote every time we elect a new priminister if we don't like the result. Or maybe a third would be fairer - best of three and all that. Why stop there - we could just keep demanding repeat votes to kingdom come until we get our own way, but then the other side would demand another ...

You are living in cloud cuckoo land - it won't happen. There would be a public uproar not to mention the future implications for public votes. We were informed - if you and whoever else didn't bother to listen - lesson learned which is clearly a bitter pill to swallow.

Speaking of buying into lies - the subject of clearing student debt comes to mind - you know those ones that did get all those youngsters, who didn't bother to vote in the referendum, to finally listen. Too little too late.
Ah the ol' 'if you don't think the way I do, you don't respect democracy' bit.
Old 14-08-2017, 12:19 PM #71
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Ah the ol' 'if you don't think the way I do, you don't respect democracy' bit.
Tell that to the person who I responded to who tried accusing me of that.

Of course you won't as you only target those whose views you disagree with despite others making the same comments.
Old 14-08-2017, 12:24 PM #72

Favourites:

Favourites:

The truth is that we haven't left the EU yet so all the above gloom and doom are just assumptions about what might happen when we do leave. None of it is fact. Those opposed to leaving keep harping on about the claims over money saved from the EU and yet we are not at that stage of leaving yet so how they can possibly know what any cash saved will be spent on? There is as much truth in complaining about it not happening as there is in the claim in the first place. Just the same as fear mongering about the demise of the economy when there aren't any factual signs it will happen.

― Richard Dawkins
Old 14-08-2017, 12:25 PM #73
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
A gentle reminder to those moaning about ‘democracy’. In this year’s GE the Tories not only lost their majority, but the British people also rejected their Hard Brexit.
When people voted yay or neigh for Brexit, they weren’t asked to vote on a ‘hard’ or ‘soft’ Brexit. A simple ‘stay’ or ‘leave’ sufficed and that’s why people who voted out have every right to be ****ing annoyed.

Here's yet another example, if any were needed, showing how Brexit aka The Government is falling apart.

To all those hardline Brexiteers determined to see as much damage done to the British economy as possible. Get a grip and start reminding yourself, this is not a fcuking pantomime.
Aren't you a Corbyn supporter. You do understand he wants a hard line Brexit don't you. He would be the one most likely to destroy our economy in more ways than one - spend, spend, spend, open borders, higher taxes - he would have a field day.

Last edited by Brillopad; 14-08-2017 at 12:27 PM.
Old 14-08-2017, 12:30 PM #74
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Aren't you a Corbyn supporter. You do understand he wants a hard line Brexit don't you. He would be the one most likely to destroy our economy in more ways than one - spend, spend, spend, open borders, higher taxes - he would have a field day.
Has brexit suggested closed borders, no spending or low taxes?... no :/
Old 14-08-2017, 12:32 PM #75

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post

I'm confused, you voted to leave, that's what you stated on this forum at the time, and now you asking those who voted to leave to get a grip? Hardline Brexit is a myth. There is leaving and there is staying in the EU in some form. I can't see why that is so hard to fathom. We voted to leave, not to be half in and half out.

I don't vote Tory and I couldn't give a stuff about the government losing it's majority. They led a crap campaign it backfired on them. Labour on the other hand led a surprisingly good campaign. The Tories probably won't last very long without a leader change and another election. Don't fool yourself it was a rejection of Brexit, it was far more a rejection of the manifesto. Had there been a genuine rejection of Brexit the lib dems would be in power. I have no idea why you are trying to pretend Brexit and the government are the same thing. Even that idiot Corbyn supports Brexit.

― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 14-08-2017 at 12:52 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
brexit, hard, majority, support