Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:22 AM #26

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
I wouldn't have arrested her for her beliefs as it's wasting prison that more serious crimes could take instead.

However she is a bloody moron to keep provoking the law and the majority of the German people with this subject, what is she hoping to achieve?
Yeah I agree.

I don't know what she's been saying but obviously Germany is strict with Nazi propaganda for obvious reasons.

I suppose it's a fine line between conspiracy theory and being a Nazi sympathiser.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:05 AM #27

Extremism doesn’t have to be seen wearing a swastika or a kkk uniform. It could be an old frail tin hat lady like the one we see here with her unrelative truths. Monsters don’t grow any less monstrous as they grow old and if this monster has a following… probably a growing one and uses lies, not facts with her believers, then she deserves to go to prison.
Old 03-09-2017, 11:10 AM #28

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

Favourites:
BBUSA22: Janelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
This is so you
Firewire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:35 AM #29

It's not an 'opinion' it's a lie, there's a difference between the two, and with something like Holocaust denial it's important to acknowledge it as a lie because calling it an opinion demeans the truth of what happened, it suggests that it may not have happened, (the use of the word 'opinion' in that article makes their agenda - as well as that of this thread - pretty clear), and AProducer'sWetDream has made some excellent points as to why that's wrong and how damaging it can be. It's all well and good to trot out a "freedom of speech" and "yeah, but... jail?!" line, but whilst ignoring the reasoning given for her punishment and dressing her up as just an innocent historian investigating something, it makes these arguments in defence of her pretty thin. She hasn't been sent to jail for 'having a wrong opinion', she's been sent to jail for repeatedly promoting a dangerous and racist lie that seeks to defend/ignore the slaughter of 6 million people. Beyond disgusting and I've got no sympathy for the horrible old nazi at all.

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 12:11 PM #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie89 View Post
It's not an 'opinion' it's a lie, there's a difference between the two, and with something like Holocaust denial it's important to acknowledge it as a lie because calling it an opinion demeans the truth of what happened, it suggests that it may not have happened, (the use of the word 'opinion' in that article makes their agenda - as well as that of this thread - pretty clear), and AProducer'sWetDream has made some excellent points as to why that's wrong and how damaging it can be. It's all well and good to trot out a "freedom of speech" and "yeah, but... jail?!" line, but whilst ignoring the reasoning given for her punishment and dressing her up as just an innocent historian investigating something, it makes these arguments in defence of her pretty thin. She hasn't been sent to jail for 'having a wrong opinion', she's been sent to jail for repeatedly promoting a dangerous and racist lie that seeks to defend/ignore the slaughter of 6 million people. Beyond disgusting and I've got no sympathy for the horrible old nazi at all.
Well said

We live in an age where truth and fact are constantly under assault; an age where truth is on the defensive. Most of us here have grown up in a world of where we believe everything is open to debate, but that’s not the case. There are certain things that are true and there are indisputable facts to back up that truth. The holocaust is an established fact.

Holocaust deniers parade themselves under the guise of rational discourse, when the truth is, we can’t have a rational discourse about something that has been proven by hundreds of witnesses, survivors, material evidence and professional historians since the fall of the Nazi party.
Old 03-09-2017, 01:06 PM #31
Banned

Banned

She is aware of the law, it's her own fault for repeatedly breaking it in order to spread her hatred.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:14 PM #32
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AProducer'sWetDream View Post
Can I also point out the irony of someone who's username claims they are in support of liberty, yet posts articles in support of a Nazi. If this is what 'fighting the PC culture' looks like, I'm happy to be called a member of the so-called 'PC brigade'.
Thats an inaccurate disingenous misrepresentation of what the poster said. Youre being dishonest
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:24 AM #33
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
Thats an inaccurate disingenous misrepresentation of what the poster said. Youre being dishonest
No, truth. If someone posts something like this thread once, it can just be a random observation or comment. If they keep doing it repeatedly and often with the same underlying message, it becomes an agenda. This is the third or fourth time in the last short while that the same member has "just noticed" something that could be described as Nazi-sympathising.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:06 AM #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
No, truth. If someone posts something like this thread once, it can just be a random observation or comment. If they keep doing it repeatedly and often with the same underlying message, it becomes an agenda. This is the third or fourth time in the last short while that the same member has "just noticed" something that could be described as Nazi-sympathising.
I agree. Its clear from the ops posting history and his comments that follow his initial post on this thread, that he's attempting to tease out support for his beliefs.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:27 AM #35

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

Favourites (more):

Good riddance bitch.
Cal. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:29 AM #36

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Me sending ha straight to the slammer

Cal. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 05:39 PM #37
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
CBB9: Karissa & Kristina Shannon
BB13 USA: Rachel
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):

Quote:
No, No, No, No, and No.

But I do like to point out the irony that those who see themselves as fighting Nazism are often in reality closer to being Nazis than they realize. I am fascinated how a thread like this can produce comment after comment of people expressing happiness that an 88 year old grandma is behind bars for daring to not have conventional beliefs. Today, the anti-fascists are the fascists.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:42 PM #38
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty4eva View Post
No, No, No, No, and No.

But I do like to point out the irony that those who see themselves as fighting Nazism are often in reality closer to being Nazis than they realize. I am fascinated how a thread like this can produce comment after comment of people expressing happiness that an 88 year old grandma is behind bars for daring to not have conventional beliefs. Today, the anti-fascists are the fascists.
She's behind bars for spreading Nazi rhetoric and propaganda, and I'm not sure why you keep mentioning her age, like being 88 somehow makes her suddenly sweet and innocent.
Old 04-09-2017, 05:47 PM #39
-

-

Downplaying the holocaust/the amount of victims killed by the Nazi's is plain disrespectful and insulting

The fact that she's been reprimanded previously makes me have zero sympathy for her.
Jake. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:55 PM #40
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):

Quote:
She's behind bars for spreading Nazi rhetoric and propaganda, and I'm not sure why you keep mentioning her age, like being 88 somehow makes her suddenly sweet and innocent.
She's behind bars for questioning a very specific event in history. There are others who are put in jail for doubting the Holocaust. Below is a video I saw a long time ago where a Bishop questions the Holocaust and at the end makes clear he is aware he could be thrown in jail for saying this. Is he just a closet Nazi sympathizer and should he be thrown in jail? You might disagree with what he says but would you dare say he doesn't have a right to say it?

Last edited by Liberty4eva; 04-09-2017 at 09:57 PM.
Liberty4eva is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:57 PM #41
Banned

Banned

SD's slide into radicalisation is honestly distressing.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:19 PM #42
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
SD's slide into radicalisation is honestly distressing.
If you're going to have a "serious" debate forum it ought to have threads about serious stuff that makes some members uncomfortable. Although I recognize that some of my views are in the minority, I do appreciate that the TIBB staff allows people to express their views (for the most part).
Old 04-09-2017, 10:25 PM #43
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Holocaust deniers always frame it as a free speech issue to distract from the real issue of them pushing a completely warped and discredited version of history to make their neo-Nazi ideology seem acceptable. Ask yourself why Holocaust deniers always come from the extreme right of the political spectrum? People do not arrive at holocaust denial through an honest appraisal of history, they do so because they are already set on an ideology and they dislike the fact they are burdened by its association with mass genocide

No one here is falling for your claim that you are merely interested in freedom of expression. If you want to support holocaust denial then do so but do not try and pretend that your only stake in this discussion is to uphold free speech
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 02:59 AM #44
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Holocaust deniers always frame it as a free speech issue to distract from the real issue of them pushing a completely warped and discredited version of history to make their neo-Nazi ideology seem acceptable. Ask yourself why Holocaust deniers always come from the extreme right of the political spectrum? People do not arrive at holocaust denial through an honest appraisal of history, they do so because they are already set on an ideology and they dislike the fact they are burdened by its association with mass genocide

No one here is falling for your claim that you are merely interested in freedom of expression. If you want to support holocaust denial then do so but do not try and pretend that your only stake in this discussion is to uphold free speech
It is a freedom of speech issue. But you are wrong about Holocaust Deniers being exclusively from the "extreme right". David Cole, an atheistic Jew, made a famous documentary in the early 90s questioning certain aspects of the Holocaust. He disappeared from the public and changed his name in 1997 when the JDL put a 25 thousand dollar bounty on his head. The documentary can still be seen on youtube but don't waste your time. If you'll forgive me, I seriously doubt you have the capability for independent thought on this issue.

Last edited by Liberty4eva; 05-09-2017 at 03:04 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:14 AM #45
-

-

Quote:
It is a freedom of speech issue. But you are wrong about Holocaust Deniers being exclusively from the "extreme right". David Cole, an atheistic Jew, made a famous documentary in the early 90s questioning certain aspects of the Holocaust. He disappeared from the public and changed his name in 1997 when the JDL put a 25 thousand dollar bounty on his head. The documentary can still be seen on youtube but don't waste your time. If you'll forgive me, I seriously doubt you have the capability for independent thought on this issue.
Your issue seems to be that you aren't capable of making a rational distinction, though. I'm sure there are historians who have tried to investigate the history of it, and I'm sure there are precise details that aren't 100%, that's only logical and applies throughout history. It is completely different to outright holocaust denial. For example even that video of the Bishop that you linked to; he isn't denying the holocaust, he isn't denying genocide, or the number of Jews incarcerated or killed, he's only saying that there's some evidence that other methods may have been more widely used in the killings than gas. Which is, let's face it, a largely irrelevant detail.

His motives leave a question mark to be honest; the interviewer makes reference to "something he said a long time ago" and I suspect a bit of back pedaling is going on.

You seem to not understand that there's a difference between this, and the "sweet old soul" in your OP, who quite openly expressed Nazi sympathies, admiration of Hitler, and outright denial that the holocaust even happened to any great extent.

She is not questioning historical details, she is trying to deny and change history to fit a quite obviously sinister agenda.

Learn to read between the lines.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 05-09-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 09:04 AM #46
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post

Well said Matt

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:30 AM #47
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josy View Post
I'm thinking of suggesting to James that Serious Debates is closed down
Close it down and lets take over DS with a lightning Panzer strike?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 04:20 AM #48
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):
Fighting the PC Culture

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Your issue seems to be that you aren't capable of making a rational distinction, though. I'm sure there are historians who have tried to investigate the history of it, and I'm sure there are precise details that aren't 100%, that's only logical and applies throughout history. It is completely different to outright holocaust denial. For example even that video of the Bishop that you linked to; he isn't denying the holocaust, he isn't denying genocide, or the number of Jews incarcerated or killed, he's only saying that there's some evidence that other methods may have been more widely used in the killings than gas. Which is, let's face it, a largely irrelevant detail.

His motives leave a question mark to be honest; the interviewer makes reference to "something he said a long time ago" and I suspect a bit of back pedaling is going on.

You seem to not understand that there's a difference between this, and the "sweet old soul" in your OP, who quite openly expressed Nazi sympathies, admiration of Hitler, and outright denial that the holocaust even happened to any great extent.

She is not questioning historical details, she is trying to deny and change history to fit a quite obviously sinister agenda.

Learn to read between the lines.
I don't assume to be able to read her mind but I can say that if I was a German and my people were shamed the world over for an event that was exaggerated I would be wanting to make the history books accurate.

The environment is so toxic towards anyone who questions the Holocaust that no historian (unless they have a backbone made of steel) is going to question any aspect of it because their careers will be damaged (often fatally) and they will have to spend time explaining how they are not a Nazi-sympathizer (as many on here claim I am). Nobody wants to put their careers and their families through that so no rational thinking person will ever question the Holocaust (at least publicly). Thus, without freedom of speech and an environment conducive towards finding the truth (whatever it is), we can never know for sure if the Holocaust happened.

I'm offended by the "Denier" label. Would any atheist here like to be called a Resurrection Denier? Labels are a tactic by the establishment because anyone who questions the authoritative version of things needs a label (for 9/11 it was "Truthers"). A more accurate word for Holocaust questioning is "revisionist".

People here are saying the reason why I posted this thread was to evoke nazi-sympathy. Far from it. But I am getting tired of defending that charge. If you are pro-Choice, does that make you pro-abortion? If the answer is no, then why can't you see that believing in freedom of speech for everyone (Nazi's included), does not make you a Nazi-sympathizer?

I do post stuff on Nazism because it stirs the pot and gets people thinking. But I am always careful to say that I don't have Nazi sympathies. I'm against all atrocities committed in WW2 by the Nazis and the Allies.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:07 AM #49
-

-

Yes but you have to realise that you can be against the actual actions of the Nazis and still be a sympathiser. In fact, that would be the line between a Nazi sympathiser and an actual Nazi?

As Chris Rock says in a stand up comedy routine about OJ Simpson;

"Now I ain't saying he should have done it...... .... .... ... But, I understand!"

Anyway. I personally have no problem with history being examined, and I full understand that official accounts of history - by nature - are rarely 100% accurate or the full story. The difference is when it's an attempt to lessen those crimes or make it seem like it "wasn't that bad really" or where there's a clear agenda to do so. This woman quite blatantly had that agenda; she doesn't just play down the scale of the atrocities, she asks people to overlook them and focus on the "good things" about Hitler. She was also alive during the war, if pretty young. But it only takes common bloody sense to realise that she - or her family - are very likely to have been full blood Hitler supporting Nazis, and she has spent her entire life trying to justify that.

There is a huge gulf between refining the facts, and making excuses. If you really do consider yourself a revisionist who is simply after the truth, then you need to learn where to dig with precision, instead of steaming in with a bulldozer.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 06-09-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:57 AM #50
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I don't assume to be able to read her mind but I can say that if I was a German and my people were shamed the world over for an event that was exaggerated I would be wanting to make the history books accurate.

The environment is so toxic towards anyone who questions the Holocaust that no historian (unless they have a backbone made of steel) is going to question any aspect of it because their careers will be damaged (often fatally) and they will have to spend time explaining how they are not a Nazi-sympathizer (as many on here claim I am). Nobody wants to put their careers and their families through that so no rational thinking person will ever question the Holocaust (at least publicly). Thus, without freedom of speech and an environment conducive towards finding the truth (whatever it is), we can never know for sure if the Holocaust happened.

I'm offended by the "Denier" label. Would any atheist here like to be called a Resurrection Denier? Labels are a tactic by the establishment because anyone who questions the authoritative version of things needs a label (for 9/11 it was "Truthers"). A more accurate word for Holocaust questioning is "revisionist".

People here are saying the reason why I posted this thread was to evoke nazi-sympathy. Far from it. But I am getting tired of defending that charge. If you are pro-Choice, does that make you pro-abortion? If the answer is no, then why can't you see that believing in freedom of speech for everyone (Nazi's included), does not make you a Nazi-sympathizer?

I do post stuff on Nazism because it stirs the pot and gets people thinking. But I am always careful to say that I don't have Nazi sympathies. I'm against all atrocities committed in WW2 by the Nazis and the Allies.
Well at least now you have revealed your hand. Your statement that 'we can never know for sure if the Holocaust happened' is insane and I don't think it is one you'd repeat after visiting Auschwitz or even after just doing some serious research.

The reason that Holocaust Deniers (I'm not going to use the term revisionist) are on the margins of history is because they push an agenda that is completely discredited and largely influenced by their own ideology. The historian who was probably taken most seriously prior to becoming a fully fledged holocaust denier was David Irving and his reputation was destroyed when it was proven that he had deliberately misrepresented and falsified facts in order to push his agenda.

Yes history relies on people challenging the consensus but Holocaust denial does not form a part of any rational historical debate. The only ones who continue to believe in it are those who trap themselves in a bubble where they pretty much only read work and only watch documentaries which espouse holocaust denial and they never read anything that challenges it.
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
88, german, holocaust, jail, opinion, woman, wrong, year