Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 19-09-2017, 12:11 AM #126
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
Many of the ill-willed left wing are more right wing than the right wing.
Old 19-09-2017, 04:26 AM #127
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTM45 View Post
How exactly ?

You, yet again, made yourself look petty and ridiculous and had your lazy attempt at a dig squashed and its me who got ''busted'' ? Alternative reality ?
How can i even compete with such a superior intellect ?
Why do you refuse to accept the increasing risk Islamic terrorists pose to the Western world? Are you blind? Are you walking around with your eyes screwed up and your hands over your ears as that is the impression you give.

ISIS are causing significant problems across the globe. We are clearly not talking about a few random idiots but a large organized group of religious zealots scattered throughout the Middle-East and, thanks to our own stupidity, across the West. They are a serious bunch of organized fanatical idiots intent on bringing us down. Jealous of the economical success we have created for ourselves. Instead of doing the same they direct their energies elsewhere and focus on hate and destruction instead. A strong indication why they will never be successful in a way that counts due to a lack of basic understanding and skewered priorities. Hate is their priority. To imply the risk they pose is insignificant is beyond naive and downright stupid in my opinion.

These young idiots are performing monkeys doing the bidding of other fanatical religious zealots further up the food chain. Thing is there are plenty such disposable idiots prepared to offer themselves up as performing monkeys in the deluded belief there will some kind of 'respect' for them in this world or an even bigger reward for them in the next. If you don't see that that kind of thinking poses a significant risk what can I or anyone say!

Last edited by Brillopad; 19-09-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old 19-09-2017, 05:15 AM #128
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
If you look at the evidence and statistics then it clearly isn't ''realistic''.

Why wouldn't you want to warn your kids about the thing that's thousands of times more likely to be a serious danger to them ? In 2015 over 25,000 people were killed or seriously injured in road accidents. Between 2010 and 2017 49 people died as a result of terrorism.
Terrorist deaths in the UK have been lower in recent years then they were all through the 70's and 80's.
So 49 families are grieving but you dismiss that because the number is smaller, do people grieve less or something ? If my son travels up london by tube of course I tell him to take care, just the same as if he is driving somewhere I tell him to take care I don't pick and choose because it's less likely, it's less likely someone's dog gets hit by a car on the pavement it still happens apparently

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 19-09-2017, 07:35 AM #129
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

I feel a little bit better knowing that they got the people responsible for Parsons Green bomb. But I'm still nervous everytime I take the tube
Old 19-09-2017, 08:43 AM #130

I know ISIS are bad. I know that some Muslims are being radicalized. I know that people have been injured and killed on our own shores. I know I have no power to have an effect on the situation, therefore, I can only go about my business normally.
Old 19-09-2017, 09:52 AM #131

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Kiefer
RPDR UK 2: Ginny Lemon

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
So 49 families are grieving but you dismiss that because the number is smaller, do people grieve less or something ? If my son travels up london by tube of course I tell him to take care, just the same as if he is driving somewhere I tell him to take care I don't pick and choose because it's less likely, it's less likely someone's dog gets hit by a car on the pavement it still happens apparently

I CLEARLY wasn't dismissing it and explained that in detail. Far more detail than you and your alarmist pals ever explain anything. You should assess what's more of a risk to your kids and prioritize that, especially when the risk is exponentially greater.
It's all about context and at the end of the day the main concern should be for the safety of your family, yourself and then the general public.
People just wallow in the exaggerated perception of the level of threat as an excuse to push their racist/xenophobic agenda. It's exactly what Trump and the Replucans tried to do in the US and look how that worked out for them. Badly. His/their days are numbered and their attempt to use fear as a divider has failed on every level, thankfully.
The figures of injuries and deaths are there for everyone to see and i've never dismissed them. Every death is one death too many. I just think people should stop exaggerating and being un-warranted alarmists.

Last edited by JTM45; 19-09-2017 at 09:52 AM.
Old 19-09-2017, 10:25 AM #132
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
I know ISIS are bad. I know that some Muslims are being radicalized. I know that people have been injured and killed on our own shores. I know I have no power to have an effect on the situation, therefore, I can only go about my business normally.
yes of course, but surely anyone with any sense would be a little bit more on the alert even while going about your business normally, pretty much like back in the 80s when no one pussyfooted around with the IRA...yes we when about our business but were on alert...?

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 19-09-2017, 10:32 AM #133
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I CLEARLY wasn't dismissing it and explained that in detail. Far more detail than you and your alarmist pals ever explain anything. You should assess what's more of a risk to your kids and prioritize that, especially when the risk is exponentially greater.
It's all about context and at the end of the day the main concern should be for the safety of your family, yourself and then the general public.
People just wallow in the exaggerated perception of the level of threat as an excuse to push their racist/xenophobic agenda. It's exactly what Trump and the Replucans tried to do in the US and look how that worked out for them. Badly. His/their days are numbered and their attempt to use fear as a divider has failed on every level, thankfully.
The figures of injuries and deaths are there for everyone to see and i've never dismissed them. Every death is one death too many. I just think people should stop exaggerating and being un-warranted alarmists.

No I am sorry, not wallowing in anything, I'm Irish so I am fully aware how all Irish people were all treated by some when the IRA were on their bombing campaign, the majority just like now knew that it was a small faction, did the Irish bleat and moan about it, no we didn't we just got on with it and dismissed the small number of people who would tar us all with the same brush as idiots, I'm sure most muslims do the same, they don't need you or anyone else to fight their corner, its a bit patronising if nothing else. The government raised the threat level to critical, I didn't... should I ignore government advice? its not alarmist it is the reality....I haven't changed my routine, I still fly, I still travel, I still get on the tube...but being a bit aware might just save my life or a member of my families life rather than walking around whistling...

Old 19-09-2017, 10:39 AM #134
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
"People just wallow in the exaggerated perception of the level of threat as an excuse to push their racist/xenophobic agenda."

really, can you explain how you know this?
Old 19-09-2017, 10:55 AM #135
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

It does no harm for people to be generally more alert. It's when wandering around with our heads in the clouds that most accidents happen. In crowded cities, people should be alert to what's going on around them.

On the subject of threat levels, from a risk to personal safety, there is next to no difference between severe and critical. At severe it is still very likely that a terrorist event could occur, and we have been at severe for a long time now. Critical is more a logistics issue than anything else. Yes, there are more armed police on the streets at that time, but that doesn't mean an event won't occur because of their presence.
Old 19-09-2017, 11:06 AM #136

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:

Quote:
You don't feel you are being a tad 'unwarranted alarmist', to quote you, about Trump?

Any terrorism threat should be taken seriously, only a fool isn't aware, but people have to carry on their lives as normal. It's very easy to throw about words when you are far away from the event, it's a lot different when a member of your family is the one covered in blood. No one with a lick of sense sends their loved ones out without urging them to be careful and vigilant of all dangers. It's what parents do. Like in the 80s you warn them to be careful of unattended packages or bags.

Stop accusing tibb members who don't agree with you of being racists and xenophobic, pulling that card constantly to accuse others implies a weak argument and a need to lash out. No one is calling you names.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins

Last edited by jaxie; 19-09-2017 at 11:11 AM.
Old 19-09-2017, 11:30 AM #137
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
It does no harm for people to be generally more alert. It's when wandering around with our heads in the clouds that most accidents happen. In crowded cities, people should be alert to what's going on around them.

On the subject of threat levels, from a risk to personal safety, there is next to no difference between severe and critical. At severe it is still very likely that a terrorist event could occur, and we have been at severe for a long time now. Critical is more a logistics issue than anything else. Yes, there are more armed police on the streets at that time, but that doesn't mean an event won't occur because of their presence.
I agree the threat level is pretty useless really

Old 19-09-2017, 11:34 AM #138
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
You don't feel you are being a tad 'unwarranted alarmist', to quote you, about Trump?

Any terrorism threat should be taken seriously, only a fool isn't aware, but people have to carry on their lives as normal. It's very easy to throw about words when you are far away from the event, it's a lot different when a member of your family is the one covered in blood. No one with a lick of sense sends their loved ones out without urging them to be careful and vigilant of all dangers. It's what parents do. Like in the 80s you warn them to be careful of unattended packages or bags.

Stop accusing tibb members who don't agree with you of being racists and xenophobic, pulling that card constantly to accuse others implies a weak argument and a need to lash out. No one is calling you names.

its the go to defence isn't it. This time last year we were all sat around delighted with our intelligence and the fact that there had been no mass terrorist attacks in the UK, a year later, here we are, would it kill people to say ...actually yeah there has been a shift in our safety, nothing that will stop us going about our daily business, WWII didn't stop that. but just enough to be a bit more on your guard as you would be if walking late at night in a deserted street, does that make me racist I don't think so!

Last edited by Cherie; 19-09-2017 at 11:34 AM.
Old 19-09-2017, 11:34 AM #139

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
Stop accusing tibb members who don't agree with you of being racists and xenophobic,
It's nothing to do with people not agreeing with me. Variety is the spice of life and without differing opinions there would be nothing to discuss. It's about people clinging on to anything and everything in an attempt to paint anyone who isn't the same as them as ''bad''.
Old 19-09-2017, 11:35 AM #140
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It's nothing to do with people not agreeing with me. Variety is the spice of life and without differing opinions there would be nothing to discuss. It's about people clinging on to anything and everything in an attempt to paint anyone who isn't the same as them as ''bad''.
in all honesty you are the one doing that, you have decided that anyone who acknowledges the threat of terrorism is a racist rather than a realist

Last edited by Cherie; 19-09-2017 at 11:35 AM.
Old 19-09-2017, 11:37 AM #141

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
in all honesty you are the one doing that, you have decided that anyone who acknowledges the threat of terrorism is a racist rather than a realist
: Good post!

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
Old 19-09-2017, 11:56 AM #142
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
[/B]

its the go to defence isn't it. This time last year we were all sat around delighted with our intelligence and the fact that there had been no mass terrorist attacks in the UK, a year later, here we are, would it kill people to say ...actually yeah there has been a shift in our safety, nothing that will stop us going about our daily business, WWII didn't stop that. but just enough to be a bit more on your guard as you would be if walking late at night in a deserted street, does that make me racist I don't think so!
It isn't a 'go to' defence, there have been home grown terrorists here for many years as well as radicalised individuals the 7/7 bombers for instance.

The increase in attacks is due to the increase imo of situations in areas of conflict,coupled with the attitudinal shift that has been occurring in the UK with specific regard to the appalling reactions to the plight of refugees.

The reason that people are being accused of racism and xenophobia is because they are saying racist and xenophobic things, it is becoming increasingly normalised to see these comments passed off as 'free speech', when all it is in fact is media manipulation, fear and ignorance.
Old 19-09-2017, 11:59 AM #143
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
It isn't a 'go to' defence, there have been home grown terrorists here for many years as well as radicalised individuals the 7/7 bombers for instance.

The increase in attacks is due to the increase imo of situations in areas of conflict,coupled with the attitudinal shift that has been occurring in the UK with specific regard to the appalling reactions to the plight of refugees.

The reason that people are being accused of racism and xenophobia is because they are saying racist and xenophobic things, it is becoming increasingly normalised to see these comments passed off as 'free speech', when all it is in fact is media manipulation, fear and ignorance.
show me one of my posts where I have been xenophobic or racist? you will have a job, yet it doesn't stop me being called both, but carry on defending the members doing it, it shows you really are not capable of rational unbiased thought!

Old 19-09-2017, 12:03 PM #144
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
what ignorance is this? you love to name call, frankly I have no idea why you haven't been on the ban list, the number of times I have seen you be openly abusive to members, but then those with a certain leaning seem get a free ride on here.
If you can't debate then why enter one being accused of being ignorant to the facts is part and parcel of debate. It's not 'name calling', and the member isn't being 'abusive' for suggesting it.
Old 19-09-2017, 12:11 PM #145
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
show me one of my posts where I have been xenophobic or racist? you will have a job, yet it doesn't stop me being called both, but carry on defending the members doing it, it shows you really are not capable of rational unbiased thought!
Where did I suggest you had been?... :/

You suggested it was a 'go to' response for some ( apparently the members with a certain 'leaning')

That is unfair and untrue, in turn you have taken it upon yourself to defend members whose comments can and are considered xenophobic and/or racist.
Mine is maybe due to my 'leaning'....what's your excuse?...
Old 19-09-2017, 12:18 PM #146

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
Or demonstrate and petition...thats what ive started to do
Old 19-09-2017, 12:29 PM #147
User banned

User banned

Quote:

Pompous post. Always blame everyone but the actual terrorists - It's the fault of the potential victim's attitudes especially if those being shot, stabbed or blown to kingdom come voted for Brexit or don't want thousands of unchecked economic migrants forcing their way on to their shores.

Wake up this is an issue all over Europe and the West not just in Britain. Everyone has had enough and don't want to take any more refuges/economic migrants whatever YOU choose to call them because of all the problems it causes.

Personally I think that those so keen to force all these unchecked people, some of which we know are terrorists, on the rest of the country are indirectly responsible for the carnage they cause.

Last edited by Brillopad; 19-09-2017 at 12:31 PM.
Old 19-09-2017, 12:31 PM #148
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:

"with specific regard to the appalling reactions to the plight of refugees."

what making sure they are children and not hairy arsed adults?

and wasnt the last bomber a Syrian refugee who we took in?
Old 19-09-2017, 12:32 PM #149
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
"with specific regard to the appalling reactions to the plight of refugees."

what making sure they are children and not hairy arsed adults?

and wasnt the last bomber a Syrian refugee who we took in?
He was indeed - a so-called child refugee. A pretty ungrateful one at that?
Old 19-09-2017, 12:35 PM #150
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
He was indeed - a so-called child refugee. A pretty ungrateful one at that?
yes I recall a senior political figure warning about this specifically and of course being shouted down as a racist xenophobe

cant recall his name...

Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
critical, level, raised, terror, threat, uk