Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-10-2017, 11:28 AM #11
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Who said it was? The fact remains that for now there is this nuance for some, nobody is expecting anything, nobody wants anyone to be a hero and put themselves in danger that's your projection perhaps?
I would still counter that it is impossible to judge whether or not women are more perceptive to external threats than men when men (including in any study) are likely to mask fear, anxiety or identification of a threat with bravado / humour / anger as that is the socially expected and accepted response. It's equally likely that all people are on average just as likely to assess situations and intentions in the same way, with men being statistically less likely to vocalise their perception of that situation as threatening.

For the rest... this entire thread is based on the concept that men should challenge other men? Partly on a societal scale (which I agreed with, groups of male friends shouldn't encourage or copy their mates sexism in peer settings and should call it out) but also on two other levels.

First being that "men are responsible overall for the actions of other men" and responsible for being the ones to stop it. I can't imagine you agree with that, because I know your stance on the suggestion that "Muslim communities are responsible for terrorists and should be the ones tackling it" and this is literally no different. Non-sexist / non-aggressive men are not responsible for the actions of other men, and no individual or community should be made to feel responsible for the actions of another individual unless they have actively encouraged it.

The second was quite explicitly that men should be expected to step in in specific, acute situations such as sexual harassment on public transport, moreso than individuals in general, because aggressors are more likely to listen to men, with the underlying message being that "men are tougher and more able to stand up to these things". That is a massive problem. It's trying to tackle macho culture by ENCOURAGING macho culture. It's impossible.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
challenge, culture, enables, job, men, people, weinstein