Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 17-10-2017, 11:40 PM #301
Withano

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Withano

Favourites (more):

Just wayched the Void. I'll write a review tomoz probz. Its probably the most halloweenesque film yet tbf.
Old 18-10-2017, 10:52 AM #302
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

The Void 2016 in canada, 2017 in usa

i have seen it now once, i kinda find it like a Syfy movie, it is watchable, but C-Listers cast for a bit of a C-Movie, not one of the best movies

it's a bit of a weird movie, i did enjoy watching it, would i watch this again, maybe, i just enjoy movies like this really easy, like other low budget movies

i would score this a 8.5/10 and let me explain this score, because it's low budget you don't have expectations for it in the first place, with a higher budget i would've given a 6.5/10 i think

so yeah i would solely recommend this movie if you really like low budget movies, if you don't i wouldn't recommend it

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 09:16 AM #303

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

Favourites (more):

Sorority Row

I've always enjoyed this movie. It's fun and entertaining and a bit camp but it isn't a bad camp and it doesn't take away from my viewing of the film. I found all the female leads to be great (with the exception of Megan but idk if you could even class her as a lead since she got killed within like 10 minutes) and Chugs ( ) is my personal favourite. I do agree with others that with the exception of Chugs' bottle death, the deaths were a bit like 'oh boring' or a bit too out there like attempting to kill Maggie (?) with the cocktail. Like others have said, my main gripe with the movie is that the killer reveal is irrelevant to the plot. Like yeah, it's a 'twist' but it's an unnecessary twist for it to be one of the girls' boyfriends just because he wanted a good life with the girl he's met at college (and literally tries to kill like 5 minutes later). I'd have preferred it be one of the red herrings (Megan or Garrett) instead or even bloody Princess Leia for the girls ruining her sorority's reputation. Overall, it's a decent slasher film which if you don't take too seriously can entertain you for its running time. (Oh and those ridiculous trailer pandering parties with feathers and bubbles and the like were such as waste of the time). I'd give it a 7/10.

Last edited by Cal.; 19-10-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Cal. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-10-2017, 09:17 AM #304
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

I agree with you actually Nicky. I wasn't aware of the budget, but as soon as one of the creature-things showed up I was like "oh its one of those movies, thats disappointing"
Old 19-10-2017, 09:25 AM #305
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

The Void is fine I suppose, again its very generic and I'd struggle to make a meaningful review out of it. Just your standard formula of a few spooky monsters and angry people in a quiet town where the phones don't work very well.
The majority of the film took place in a small hospital which was cool, I think it takes a pretty creative writer to make a film interesting in just one setting. Everything else was generic gimmicks that you've seen before in films from the 90s, some of the scarier moments were well done though so I'll give it a 5/10. I enjoyed it for what it was, a low budget, generic horror film.
Old 19-10-2017, 09:29 AM #306

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane

I first saw this film in 2012(?) I think and instantly adored it. It's such a shame it didn't get a proper release or whatever because I find it really underrated but even in hindsight it won't get appreciated because of Jill Roberts in Scream 4 even though that movie came out 5 years after Mandy Lane. Anyway, ranting aside, ATBLML is a thoroughly entertaining horror film and with the exception of Halloween is probably my favourite of the ones I'd already seen prior to the rank down starting. I love it's dark grungy feel and I think Amber Heard as Mandy Lane was genius as she oozes sex appeal whilst you sort of know throughout the entire film that there's something off about her even if the killer twist still stuns you. I love how manipulative Mandy was and her similarities to a black widow spider with her enticing the men just to kill them and manipulating Emmett to also kill for her (I know she was only committing the murders because she was sick of attention or whatever but it was just an observation). My one gripe is that outside of Mandy, Emmett and Chloe I really don't care about any of the other characters and bloody Marlin or whatever her name was and Jake are such wastes but I suppose they were there to add to the body count. My favourite scene is Emmett chasing Chloe through the field with the car because it's kind of a scream. Anyway, I think this film is great and I'm glad it got into the rankdown for a second time after competing in 2015? I'd give it an 8/10, with just my one gripe being the characters are kind of trash besides Mandy, Emmett and Chloe like I've already said.
Old 19-10-2017, 09:30 AM #307

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Will watch The Void later on!
Old 19-10-2017, 09:30 AM #308
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

it's just like those Sharknado movies, they aren't the best movies, but still you enjoy watching them cause of the funny cameo's

Syfy movies are low budget but really enjoyable movies for me, compared to some of the drama oscar winning movies which i find some of them boring

Old 20-10-2017, 06:22 PM #309
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Enzo
BBCanada 8: Jamar
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):

The Void sounds bad.

100% actually starting with The Belko Experiment
Old 20-10-2017, 06:52 PM #310

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I'm so sorry about this this year. Will sort it later 100% I just have to sort something out irl in the next hour or so.
Old 20-10-2017, 06:58 PM #311

I'm a bit behind sorry but I'm watching Mandy Lane tomorrow (and I might try and squeeze in The Void too)

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 09:28 PM #312

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Thursday 19th October - The Belko Experiment (2016)

An ordinary day at the office becomes a horrific quest for survival when 80 employees (John Gallagher Jr., Tony Goldwyn, Adria Arjona) at the Belko Corp. in Bogotá, Colombia, learn that they are pawns in a deadly game. Trapped inside their building, a voice over an intercom tells the frightened staffers that two workers must be killed within 30 minutes. When another ultimatum follows, friends become enemies and new alliances take shape, as only the strongest will remain alive at the end.

Last edited by Cal.; 20-10-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 20-10-2017, 09:41 PM #313
Namaste

Namaste

I'm gonna catch up on the last two in the next couple of days
Lostie! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-10-2017, 09:46 PM #314
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

Yes! I saw the Belko Experiment once before on an extremely poor quality dodgy website copy, but I still loved it! I've been looking forward to rewatching it. This is the type of horror film I most enjoy. I'll watch it nowish.

Last edited by Withano; 20-10-2017 at 09:46 PM.
Withano is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 12:52 AM #315
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):

The Belko Experiment

Really great movie! It's basically a much more entertaining version of Circle in a real-life setting/situation (instead of just randomly being placed in a room). The idea for it alone is great but then it was also executed very well. Just the right amount of buildup before the first kill. It had some comedy thrown in there which was nice to change the tension a little bit. At least a handful of funny little comments and moments. Marty in particular was a hilarious character. The guy who played the CEO(? not sure if that's what he said he was for the company but basically the boss figure) was a tremendous actor and played his part perfectly. While there were a few duds in the cast, the acting as a whole was just very good and better than I'd expect for a movie like this. I actually like a bigger cast too and they did a good job of differentiating the people given there were so many to showcase in such little time.

My two complaints which contains spoilers: It was a bit pointless for that one hispanic girl (that was in the basement for a lot of the film) to go through all that only to die so quickly with no battle in the end lol. I feel like that was part of the film's humor though. Also, those 2 basement workers died way too quickly and I liked them (bonus: Merle from Walking Dead being one of them ).

Nothing insane in terms of plot but I enjoy these type of films and this film did it as good as any. Nice clever ending as well. 9/10

Last edited by JerseyWins; 21-10-2017 at 12:54 AM.
JerseyWins is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 01:52 AM #316
-

-

All The Boys Love Mandy Lane
8/10

One of the better modern slasher films in my opinion. It's a great throwback to the 70's grindhouse slasher era. One of the things I love most about this film is the way in which it's shot. The cinematography is brilliant and very reminiscent of the original Texas Chain Saw Massacre; from the rural Texan landscapes to the bleached out colours and just the overall grimy feel of the film, makes for an effective atmosphere and a refreshing change from the glossy studio horror films that we're all so used to nowadays.

The film itself is pretty slow-paced until the third act, but then again, aren't most slashers? It managed to keep me invested throughout so that wasn't a problem and interestingly enough, the killer is revealed with some running time left, making room for the twist at end, which puts a clever spin on 'the final girl'. Mandy Lane being revealed as the accomplice behind the murders and her sinister turn from alluringly innocent to manipulative sociopath shocked me when I first watched the film as I didn't see it coming at all and it still holds up well. In particular, I enjoy the fact that there seemed to be no motive or explanation behind her nature. She was evil and twisted. Leave it at that.

Overall, it's a fun little slasher film which I feel rarely gets talked about. It doesn't help that the film was on the shelf for almost a decade, as it was originally filmed and set to be released in 2006, but didn't get a theatrical release until 2013. I feel had it been released as scheduled, it would've gotten the appreciation it deserves and be seen in a more positive light, especially during a time when the genre had nothing else to offer, other than a slew of remakes.

Last edited by Jason.; 21-10-2017 at 01:54 AM.
Jason. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-10-2017, 09:04 AM #317
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

wtf is the belko experiment

Old 21-10-2017, 03:26 PM #318
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):
Meow Meow

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
wtf is the belko experiment
A great movie

I've been wanting to watch it for a while so I'm glad it being on this list finally got me to do it.
Old 22-10-2017, 09:51 PM #319
Namaste

Namaste

All the Boys Love Mandy Lane: 6/10

Honestly I think this is a pretty unremarkable movie all the way to the twist ending, which elevates it a few notches. Mandy being the ultimate villain of the story was a great twist (although I wish they didn't have her and Emmett turn on each other at the end).

But yeah, overall the movie isn't particularly good but the twist is, but a good twist isn't really enough to redeem the rest of it.
Lostie! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-10-2017, 11:14 PM #320
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

I love this movie. I think it's got to the point where I'm so done with monsters and ghosts and demons etc. And now the most scary films for me, is when the bad guy is just some bloke (or in this case, multiple blokes) with just a loose screw, and a mission to kill or terrorise. And this done that well.

I feel like when I watched the trailer like 2 years ago it said sumin like
Quote:
grr I'm the puppet master mastermind but if you kill x many people, I'll let you go
or something like that, maybe exactly that, can't remember.... and I loved that idea, it was like a challenge. However, the first time I watched the film, I was super disappointed that they changed their mind or I misheard or whatever - because a 'last man standing' thing just makes this the 76th annual hunger games, but in office clothes.

And I didn't think of this before but Jerseys right about the girl who coasted to the end and died in a super boring way. That does suck.

I loved the film, would have preferred a different winner - liked the ending after the winner was determined, would watch a sequel. Would rewatch this movie, All in all, 9/10.
Old 23-10-2017, 12:10 AM #321
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Urgh I am so behind, I will rewatch both tomorrow and post my reviews
Old 23-10-2017, 07:43 AM #322
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

mess

Old 23-10-2017, 09:45 AM #323

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Sunday 22nd October - The Uninvited (2009)

After spending time in a psychiatric facility, young Anna (Emily Browning) finds significant changes in store at home. Her widowed father (David Strathairn) is now engaged to her mother's former nurse, Rachel (Elizabeth Banks). One night, the ghost of Anna's mother appears, screaming for revenge and accusing Rachel of murder. Anna and her sister, Alex (Arielle Kebbel), start to investigate, but they may be unprepared for the lethal battle of wills that ensues.
Old 23-10-2017, 09:07 PM #324
Withano

Favourites (more):

Withano

Favourites (more):

The Uninvited

I fully do not recommend reading this review until after you watch the film, I'm completely shocked by how good it turned out to be. More twists than the next series of big brother would even dream of trying to pull off.

Anyway, its good don't read below until after you watch it cos you should experience it in the same way I did imo.

Spoiler:

I thought it was gonna be absolutely ****e within its first five minutes. The main actress took pretty much all the screentime, and you could tell it was gonna be this way til the end, and she appeared to be a very weak actress (later found out this was a wrong opinion, she was very good).

The film starting off with the whole mystery of 'who the **** is this woman, shes super **** and ruining my life, evil stepmom etc' which was fine, I was excited for that movie, I was there trying to work out the mystery with the girls, and it was fun.

And then the girl worked it out, and I was completely on their side, willing for her to win the fight(s) and being content in knowing that this was the movie I was watching! BUT. I wasn't expecting any of the twists, I was just so content with the obvious storyline.

the last ten minutes just shattered my mind, there were so many bombshells that my head was all over the place, leaving me currently dry cleaning my curtains from all the left over brain residue.
The sister killing the woman in an uneventful way, super unexpected
The sister not even being real, get outta here
The main character actually being a psycho all along, slap me
The flashbacks of her life before the sectioning, who even am i anymore
What a rollercoaster

But like I have questions.
She knowingly and maliciously acknowledged all of her wrongdoings like it was a masterplan in the final scene...
So why did she visually hallucinate? And then act as if she felt what she was seeing was very real? Its a bit of a convenient thing to hallucinate about, if you know what your plan is all along. The ghost girl leading you to the grave which led you to the computer which led you to everything else. it just doesnt make sense if it was always your plan to kill the stepmom by acting as if shes your psychiatric ward neighbour, when you know shes not.
Why was the stepmom an unnecessary bitch?
Why was the stepmom talking to the sister like she could see her too?
Why did she get let out a psychiatric ward in the first place?
If she only just got let out, why was she unsupervised for most of her day?
Wait did she kill her love interest, that only just occurred to me, thats a cool little add on.

I bet this is one of those movies where you'd watch it the 2nd time, and just pick up on loads of **** you missed before. Quite a slow start, and got a lot of questions - I probably should have googled to see if the internet can answer my questions before rating this, but I'm presuming they cant and that there just is a few plot holes in the story.

I'll give it an 8/10. I might increase this if I find answers to my questions. So much better than I expected.

Internet cleared some stuff up for me 9/10.

Last edited by Withano; 23-10-2017 at 09:26 PM.
Withano is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-10-2017, 09:08 PM #325
A great thief

A great thief

I love Emily Browning

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
2009, 2015, 2017, bone, boys, circle, closes, countdown, film, halloween, info, love, mandy, night, p4, reveal, revealed, row, schedule, sign, sorority, tibb, tomahawk, tomorrow, voting