Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 14-12-2017, 04:40 AM #1

Default thread deleted 60bn [Update: Deal completed]

Deal would mean Disney owning 20th Century Fox film studio, Sky (39%) and 50% of Endemol.

Fox News, Fox Sports and local Fox TV stations in US wouldn't be included because of US government anti-monopoly rules.

Quote:
Disney set to seal $60bn 21st Century Fox takeover
By Chris Johnston

13 December 2017

Walt Disney is close to confirming a deal to buy 21st Century Fox's entertainment assets for about $60bn, reports say.

The sale would include the 20th Century Fox film studio and the Sky and Star satellite broadcasters in the UK, Europe and Asia.

Disney was left as the front runner after Comcast, the NBC owner, dropped out of the race on Monday.

The Financial Times said talks about the price were continuing on Tuesday.

CNBC reported that Fox and Disney were on a "glide path" for an announcement on Thursday, according to people familiar with the negotiations.

The Murdoch family was said to favour a deal with Disney because it would rather be paid in the entertainment giant's shares than Comcast stock.

A deal with Disney could also face fewer US regulatory hurdles, although it is extremely unlikely to be waved through.

Also in question is what will happen to 21st Century Fox's bid to buy the 61% of Sky that it does not already own.

The deal is already under scrutiny by the UK Competition and Markets Authority (CMA), which is expected to publish its provisional findings in January.

It is not clear whether Disney will continue with the takeover if it buys the 39% stake from 21st Century Fox as part of the wider transaction.

Matthew Horsman, analyst at Mediatique, told Variety magazine that the CMA is likely to continue probing the deal. "They've done all the work. I'm pretty sure they're going to announce a decision," he said.

The assets being sold by Fox include its FX and National Geographic cable channels, 22 regional US sports networks and the company's stake in the Hulu streaming platform in the US.

It would also add to Disney's extensive film and television library, with movies such as Avatar and Deadpool, as well as small screen hits including The Simpsons and Modern Family.

The Fox broadcast network, Fox News and Fox Sports would remain under the Murdochs' control.

As well as its film studio, Disney also owns the ESPN sports network and cable channels.

Mr Murdoch's decision to sell most of Fox has surprised many commentators given his desire to continually expand his media empire over the past five decades.

Talks were understood to have been held between the two companies in November but did not result in an agreement.

Negotiations then restarted earlier this month.

Shares in Disney rose 0.5% in New York on Tuesday, valuing the company at $162bn, while 21st Century Fox added 1%, valuing it at $62.6bn.

Fox shares have jumped by close to a third over the past three months.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42333452

James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 08:36 AM #2
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Disney pls fix the Simpsons
Old 14-12-2017, 10:19 AM #3
Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 6: Siannise

Lisa Scott-Lee Expert

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 6: Siannise

American Horror Story: Cinderella’s Slipper?
Wizard. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 10:20 AM #4
-

-

Most important part of this story:

Fox owns the rights to X-Men, Fantastic Four, Deadpool etc... so if Disney buy them out, any or all of these characters are available to the MCU .

Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 10:50 AM #5
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Santa View Post
Most important part of this story:

Fox owns the rights to X-Men, Fantastic Four, Deadpool etc... so if Disney buy them out, any or all of these characters are available to the MCU .

It could mean bad things for properties like Deadpool though unless they keep Fox around as another Touchstone to release the more adult orientated Superhero films.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 10:58 AM #6
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
It could mean bad things for properties like Deadpool though unless they keep Fox around as another Touchstone to release the more adult orientated Superhero films.
That's a point I guess. I also have reservations about what will happen with the Netflix Marvel shows once Disney starts its own streaming thing... which I imagine is another big motivation for the purchase. I can see there being a fair bit of X-men etc. content on Disney's streaming services.
Old 14-12-2017, 11:05 AM #7
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

This is where they turn Hulu into their own Netflix, with simpsons, family guy, Star Wars etc etc

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 11:20 AM #8
Banned

Banned

Quote:
That's a point I guess. I also have reservations about what will happen with the Netflix Marvel shows once Disney starts its own streaming thing... which I imagine is another big motivation for the purchase. I can see there being a fair bit of X-men etc. content on Disney's streaming services.
They may make an exception for the Netflix shows since I could imagine taking the rights back if Netflix was involved in the production and not just the distribution would be very tricky indeed.
Old 14-12-2017, 12:26 PM #9
-

-

Quote:
They may make an exception for the Netflix shows since I could imagine taking the rights back if Netflix was involved in the production and not just the distribution would be very tricky indeed.
From what I've read, the Netflix deal still has a good couple of years left in it but once that expires the rights to the shows and characters themselves are squarely with Disney... and also I've read that Disney's eventual goal is to have ALL Disney content, both TV and Movies (and especially Marvel / Star Wars), be exclusive to their own streaming service. It makes a lot of sense, really, as they have a lot of content that people will pay a monthly sub for already, plus the possibility of funding X Men and Star Wars shows. I mean I have to be honest and say that I'm highly likely to get it if the content is up to scratch .

But I don't know what that means in terms of how the Netflix shows are made... like how they're actually filmed, who the actors are contracted to, etc.

Which means there's a chance that, if they can't easily port the existing format over to their own streaming service, they'll just let the current Netflix shows end when the deal ends in a couple of years and concentrate on their own new shows. In terms of characters, I think there's a decent chance they would try to bring DD over as he's the best known of the bunch and also the most "traditionally superhero-y" of The Defenders... fits best with the rest of the MCU basically. I can see the other Defenders being left out in the cold .
Old 14-12-2017, 12:39 PM #10
Banned

Banned

Quote:
From what I've read, the Netflix deal still has a good couple of years left in it but once that expires the rights to the shows and characters themselves are squarely with Disney... and also I've read that Disney's eventual goal is to have ALL Disney content, both TV and Movies (and especially Marvel / Star Wars), be exclusive to their own streaming service. It makes a lot of sense, really, as they have a lot of content that people will pay a monthly sub for already, plus the possibility of funding X Men and Star Wars shows. I mean I have to be honest and say that I'm highly likely to get it if the content is up to scratch .

But I don't know what that means in terms of how the Netflix shows are made... like how they're actually filmed, who the actors are contracted to, etc.

Which means there's a chance that, if they can't easily port the existing format over to their own streaming service, they'll just let the current Netflix shows end when the deal ends in a couple of years and concentrate on their own new shows. In terms of characters, I think there's a decent chance they would try to bring DD over as he's the best known of the bunch and also the most "traditionally superhero-y" of The Defenders... fits best with the rest of the MCU basically. I can see the other Defenders being left out in the cold .
Then again, considering that Disney doesn't like anything that's rated higher than a 12A under the Disney label, they might leave the Netflix universe as is and treat it like another Touchstone situation.
Old 14-12-2017, 12:58 PM #11
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

how does this affect the proposed buy out of Sky by fox? Does it mean we will now get a fluffy Sky News

Last edited by bitontheslide; 14-12-2017 at 12:59 PM.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 01:16 PM #12

21st Century has agreed the deal

Ref: Business Update SkyNewsHD. and FoxNewsHD online live

$52 Billion.

Disney Vs Netflix

Last edited by arista; 14-12-2017 at 01:19 PM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 01:18 PM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
how does this affect the proposed buy out of Sky by fox? Does it mean we will now get a fluffy Sky News

It means the shares will change to Disney
may help the takeover speed UP

SkyNewsHD
and Ch4HD news are the best

That Glass Box
Very UnAmerican
Old 14-12-2017, 01:28 PM #14
Banned

Banned

I imagine X-Men will get rebooted after Dark Phoenix to be apart of the MCU, as will Fantastic Four.
Old 14-12-2017, 01:44 PM #15
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
It means the shares will change to Disney
may help the takeover speed UP

SkyNewsHD
and Ch4HD news are the best

That Glass Box
Very UnAmerican
if anything, it will likely slow it down more as it will be going to an even bigger organisation
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 01:44 PM #16
-

-

Quote:
I imagine X-Men will get rebooted after Dark Phoenix to be apart of the MCU, as will Fantastic Four.
Will they really have another punt at Fantastic Four? I think Fox have officially killed it . Even though it would be reverting to Disney, and have nothing to do with previous Fox efforts, the brand is pretty badly tainted... I dunno if even the MCU connection could revive it.

X-Men is ready to reboot tbh. It's kind of trash without Wolverine, and Jackman's Wolverine arc is complete IMO. Time for a proper modern-day reboot with a full new cast. I can even see them fudging the story a bit to make it so that Scarlet Witch is indeed Magneto's daughter and a mutant... like the twins were adopted out, and were infact (unknown to them) mutants already and their powers were only brought out by Hydra. In fact giving it thought - have they left the door open to that intentionally? The story about their house getting bombed and how they had to lie totally still next to a Stark Industries bomb that hadn't detonated. Possible "in" there by suggesting that Scarlet Witch was actually subconsciously using her powers to stop the bomb from detonating .

...sorry, I forgot for a second that this isn't a movies forum thread .
Old 14-12-2017, 01:58 PM #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
if anything, it will likely slow it down more as it will be going to an even bigger organisation
Maybe
but they will not have all the shares
only 39%

Ref: CNN HD Money.

Last edited by arista; 14-12-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 14-12-2017, 02:07 PM #18
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Will they really have another punt at Fantastic Four? I think Fox have officially killed it . Even though it would be reverting to Disney, and have nothing to do with previous Fox efforts, the brand is pretty badly tainted... I dunno if even the MCU connection could revive it.

X-Men is ready to reboot tbh. It's kind of trash without Wolverine, and Jackman's Wolverine arc is complete IMO. Time for a proper modern-day reboot with a full new cast. I can even see them fudging the story a bit to make it so that Scarlet Witch is indeed Magneto's daughter and a mutant... like the twins were adopted out, and were infact (unknown to them) mutants already and their powers were only brought out by Hydra. In fact giving it thought - have they left the door open to that intentionally? The story about their house getting bombed and how they had to lie totally still next to a Stark Industries bomb that hadn't detonated. Possible "in" there by suggesting that Scarlet Witch was actually subconsciously using her powers to stop the bomb from detonating .

...sorry, I forgot for a second that this isn't a movies forum thread .
I think they'll introduce them in an Avengers film, it's looking like there will be a few vacancies after Civil War. They might not have their own film for a while but I can see Marvel putting the individual members in other films first to build them up before they get their own team film. I don't think Marvel's fought so hard to get the rights to the Fantastic Four back just to let them languish once they have them.

I loved Logan but I don't think the X-universe suffers without his presence, I thought First Class was one of the best X-men films and he was only in it for one scene. With Dark Phoenix pretty much bridging the gap between the past and the start of the modern X-Men films, I can see them ending the old continuity and just going forth with a new X-team so they don't have to rely on the Inhumans any more. I think films like Deadpool and the New Mutants will just be slotted into the new continuity as they are.
Old 14-12-2017, 02:45 PM #19
The peoples princesses

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace
BB2023: Yinrun

The peoples princesses

Favourites (more):

Worth pointing out that Disney have now acquired Endemol Shine, who created Big Brother UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
And if not, maybe try your hand at being an author for Mills & Boon.
He/him
Mitchell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 02:48 PM #20
TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prue Wreath View Post
Worth pointing out that Disney have now acquired Endemol Shine, who created Big Brother UK

BBUK Disney Style

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.

Spoiler:

Israel we Love You
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 03:00 PM #21
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prue Wreath View Post
So what you're saying is... we can have Marvelebrity BB with only Marvel characters as housemates? I'd watch every second of it.
Old 14-12-2017, 03:03 PM #22
TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

Quote:
So what you're saying is... we can have Marvelebrity BB with only Marvel characters as housemates? I'd watch every second of it.
so Professor X & Phil Coulson bb Alliance

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.

Spoiler:

Israel we Love You
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 06:28 PM #23
The peoples princesses

Favourites (more):

The peoples princesses

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Nope, what I’m saying is Brenda Song should be forced to do CBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
And if not, maybe try your hand at being an author for Mills & Boon.
He/him
Mitchell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 06:37 PM #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariah Christmas View Post
American Horror Story: Cinderella’s Slipper?
Well the original story had the ugly sisters cutting their own toes off to try and fit into the slipper so it would be perfect.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 06:40 PM #25

Rupert was on SkyNewsHD Business with Ian King
he is having 25% of Disney
and is a good friend of the Disney CEO B.Igor.

Last edited by arista; 14-12-2017 at 06:49 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
$60bn, $65bn, $71, 21st, 21stcentury, approved, battle, bid, billion, buy, century, challenges, comcast, completed, deal, disney, fox, fox or disney, interest, leaves, set, sets, sky, uk, update, £221bn