Notices

CBB21 Celebrity Big Brother January 2018 [CBB 21] (dubbed Year of the Women). Discuss the housemates and series - which was won by Courtney Act - here.

Old 26-01-2018, 03:17 PM #76
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac hills View Post
The wage gap is a myth from a misleading statistic that disregarded job positions, hours work and most importantly maternity leave

The 5 most powerful people in Britain are women

Sexual abuse isn’t a feminist issue both sexes deal with it

What qualifies as sexual harassment for you btw? Cat calling?

I don’t hate women, I’m an egalitarian. All people deserve rights and equal treatment, not just women. I would go as far to say that it has started going the other way and that women have it easier but that’s up for debate.
Except the wage gap isn't a myth, it's something that's been proven to exist time and time again.

The most powerful people in the country doesn't change things for the millions of other women in the country, leadership roles in most industries are still dominated by men, business is still mostly male dominated etc. There's more opportunities for men then there are women.

Sexual abuse can affect both sexes but women are still way more likely to be affected by it

Yes, all the sexual harassment business of the past year has just come down to cat calling. Good god. Sexual harassment is the pressurising of a person into a sexual situation, whether that be by unwanted advances or comments or leading a person into a sexual situation through false pretences. It's a problem, like with sexual assault, that women have to deal with way more than men.

I reject the idea that you are an egalitarian, why aren't you denouncing all the advantages men get in favour of pretending that feminism isn't needed when it obviously is just because you have a problem with the few advantage society allows women to have. It's the same argument that people have against Pride parades or Black History month.

Nothing you have said has really made me believe that you care about equality at all.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 03:18 PM #77
Banned

Favourites (more):
CBB21: India Willoughby
BB17: Jayne
Banned

Favourites (more):

Ok last post I’ll make on this hungry af

A lot of the things mentioned aren’t feminist/sexism issues. The wage gap is debatable but the statistics usually are misleading and don’t account for other external factors. Sexual abuse is bad people doing bad things to other people, not men doing bad things to women. The current Hollywood situation is bad, but harvey weinstein is not all men, it is an issue but it’s not reflective of day to day life and all normal people; men get sexually abused a lot it’s just not talked about mainly because men are taught early on to reserve their feelings and not show emotion, because if they are they are laughed at, and I’ve never seen a feminist vouch for this issue hmm. Abortion is something women are voting on too it’s not just ‘men are impressing our bodies hngg’ and anyway on the flip side if aborting becomes illegal the individual carrying the baby can just give birth put the responsibility of the child on the father and make him pay all the expenses!!!

I mean we can go in circles debating feminism on a big brother forum but let’s just agree to disagree

Last edited by Lilac hills; 26-01-2018 at 03:34 PM.
Lilac hills is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 03:18 PM #78
beyonce of waltham forest

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
BB19: Lewis F
beyonce of waltham forest

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
BB19: Lewis F

Loving these smackdowns by Niamh

You go girl

Spoiler:

ST☆RS (TiBB's CBB): 6th/12

I'm a TiBB Member 4: 3rd/16 & Highest Placed All-Star (1st/8)
TiBB on Ice: 4th/15
ST☆RS (TiBB's CBB) 2: 3rd/17
TiBB OTT3: 2nd/13
Underscore is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 03:26 PM #79
User banned

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Arthur
User banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Except the wage gap isn't a myth
Yes it is.
Bones is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 03:27 PM #80
User banned

Favourites (more):
User banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
good post
Thank you. You too.
Old 26-01-2018, 03:28 PM #81
Banned

Favourites (more):
Banned

Favourites (more):

Let’s all love each other tho there are enough bad things in this world <3

Like Andrew brady

Last edited by Lilac hills; 26-01-2018 at 03:29 PM.
Old 26-01-2018, 03:40 PM #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac hills View Post
Ok last post I’ll make on this hungry af

A lot of the things mentioned aren’t feminist/sexism issues. The wage gap is debatable but the statistics usually are misleading and don’t account for other external factors. Sexual abuse is bad people doing bad things to other people, not men doing bad things to women. The current Hollywood situation is bad, but harvey weinstein is not all men, it is an issue but it’s not reflective of day to day life and all normal people; men get sexually abused a lot it’s just not talked about mainly because men are taught early on to reserve their feelings and not show emotion, because if they are they are laughed at, and I’ve never seen a feminist vouch for this issue hmm. Abortion is something women are voting on too it’s not just ‘men are impressing our bodies hngg’ and anyway on the flip side if aborting becomes illegal the individual carrying the baby can just give birth put the responsibility of the child on the father and make him pay all the expenses!!!

I mean we can go in circles debating feminism on a big brother form but let’s just agree to disagree
I agree that the rates of sexual abuse against women being higher isn't necessarily a feminist issue (it's an issue... just not a feminist one). I think it often gets treated as one because women make up the majority of victims but I think that's better explained by sexuality rather than sexism or attitudes, as in most abusers are men and most men are straight. If the sexuality of abusers was 50/50 gay/straight then I think the rates of sexual abuse between men and women would also be equal but that's not reality (and nothing to do with sexism). So the real question is why are men more likely to be sexual abusers and I think nature probably plays a big part in that (although I don't really know enough about it tbh).

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras

Last edited by Jamie89; 26-01-2018 at 03:41 PM.
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 03:41 PM #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
As i said, you are so naive
Mate, I'm forty-fkin'-seven. I have every tee-shirt going Naïve went out of my world about 30 years ago

No feminist either. Equality yes.

I want Daniel to win FFS!
hazyjo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 03:42 PM #84
User banned

Favourites (more):
User banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazyjo View Post
Mate, I'm forty-fkin'-seven. I have every tee-shirt going Naïve went out of my world about 30 years ago

No feminist either. Equality yes.

I want Daniel to win FFS!
Ok then Sorry my mistake
Old 26-01-2018, 03:42 PM #85
haunted

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
Love Island 3: Marino

haunted

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber
Love Island 3: Marino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie89 View Post
I agree that the rates of sexual abuse against women being higher isn't necessarily a feminist issue (it's an issue... just not a feminist one). I think it often gets treated as one because women make up the majority of victims but I think that's better explained by sexuality rather than sexism or attitudes, as in most abusers are men and most men are straight. If the sexuality of abusers was 50/50 gay/straight then I think the rates of sexual abuse between men and women would also be equal. So the real question is why are men more likely to be sexual abusers and I think nature probably plays a big part in that (although I don't really know enough about it tbh).
misogyny i feel plays a HUGE part in it

Spoiler:

montblanc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 03:43 PM #86
User banned

Favourites (more):
User banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by montblanc View Post
Not really.
Old 26-01-2018, 03:48 PM #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by montblanc View Post
If misogyny was the reason behind someone sexually abusing some else though then men wouldn't be victims of it, it follows a pattern of straight men abusing women and gay men abusing other men. I suppose misogyny could be a factor, like I said I don't know all the facts I'm just assuming really, but it just seems to make more sense to me that the rates are what they are because of sexuality.

BBCAN: Erica | Will | Veronica | Johnny | Alejandra | Ryan | Paras
Jamie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 03:52 PM #88
Banned

Favourites (more):
Banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie89 View Post
I agree that the rates of sexual abuse against women being higher isn't necessarily a feminist issue (it's an issue... just not a feminist one). I think it often gets treated as one because women make up the majority of victims but I think that's better explained by sexuality rather than sexism or attitudes, as in most abusers are men and most men are straight. If the sexuality of abusers was 50/50 gay/straight then I think the rates of sexual abuse between men and women would also be equal but that's not reality (and nothing to do with sexism). So the real question is why are men more likely to be sexual abusers and I think nature probably plays a big part in that (although I don't really know enough about it tbh).
Honestly it may have something to do with nature, definitely not totally unplausible. I’d like to think that most people in the first world surpress natural urges when it’s at the expense at another person tho however.

And tbh sexual abuse and rape is a bit of a grey area. A lot of people that have been abused, both men and women, don’t speak up about it in fear of being ridiculed or being seen as less of a person. Rape is also a difficult crime to prove. If there are no noticeable scars or anything. Two people can claim rape, one genuine the other not, both have no physical harm to prove it so how do you distinguish if they’re legitimate? I think in this case for a lot of cases involving women abuse people get accused of victim blaming if they don’t believe the victim ykno so this can lead to a lot of false accusations. Again it’s all a bit of a grey area so liek ykno

Last edited by Lilac hills; 26-01-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 26-01-2018, 03:59 PM #89
swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):
BB19: Brooke
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):
BB19: Brooke
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Sometimes it does come across like she's overdoing it.
The time when she wanted to let Jess talk about Page 3 and saying later that she wanted "to empower a fellow woman", like it's some sort of a disability that requires empowerment - hoping on the feminist train to nowhere. A bit like a walking facebook post of inspirational quotes.

Spoiler:

Shifra, Tzabar, Ranin. BBIL 2008.
y.winter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
ashley, feminist, james