Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 20-02-2018, 09:17 PM #151

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
This trial by media culture is now beyond a joke. Organisations are forced to act or comment before investigations are complete.

In the Cox case, he obviously has done something that has been deemed inappropriate but I am sure a police investigation would have begun if there were serious charges to answer?

I am not excusing any inappropriate behaviour but the intervention by the media in these cases surely muddy the waters of any impartial investigation
I understand what you're saying , but they'll always be that media culture when it's a public figure or someone we see on tv . That's just how it is .

Yeah there's not much mention of a police investigation but maybe the case isn't closed yet .
Old 20-02-2018, 09:19 PM #152
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis G

Its also been revelaed today that the man who headed Save the Children while Cox was there left the charity after complaints of inappropriate behaviour towards female colleagues. Given that I'd say it's pretty obvious that a culture of harassment existed at the charity just as it's been shown to have been endemic in many other sectors recently

Last edited by MTVN; 20-02-2018 at 09:19 PM.
Old 20-02-2018, 09:22 PM #153
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
This trial by media culture is now beyond a joke. Organisations are forced to act or comment before investigations are complete.

In the Cox case, he obviously has done something that has been deemed inappropriate but I am sure a police investigation would have begun if there were serious charges to answer?

I am not excusing any inappropriate behaviour but the intervention by the media in these cases surely muddy the waters of any impartial investigation
Trial by media,far worse now than likely ever before,is a threat,in my view,to real law and justice in this Country now.
Old 20-02-2018, 09:33 PM #154
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Its also been revelaed today that the man who headed Save the Children while Cox was there left the charity after complaints of inappropriate behaviour towards female colleagues. Given that I'd say it's pretty obvious that a culture of harassment existed at the charity just as it's been shown to have been endemic in many other sectors recently
What i find somewhat sinister in this is that after leaving one charity under a black cloud, what does Cox do when his wife dies? Associates himself with another couple of charities. Surely i'm not the only one that thinks it's just not right.
Old 20-02-2018, 09:52 PM #155

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):

The guys a hypocritical ****ing creep...pawing and trying to get hus end away at charity jolies as his wife works endlesdly for the good of the country...then, then he has the audacity to play the doting, grieving hubby after her death...judging him by his scruples i would be having a close look at the accounts of this charity.
Old 20-02-2018, 10:12 PM #156
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
What i find somewhat sinister in this is that after leaving one charity under a black cloud, what does Cox do when his wife dies? Associates himself with another couple of charities. Surely i'm not the only one that thinks it's just not right.
Why, the allegations were due to a personal issue nothing to do with the charities?
Old 21-02-2018, 06:08 AM #157
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:

...hmmm, the trial by media is a tricky one I think, Annie...yeah it can be a very negative and unfair thing but it also can highlight and bring into focus, some very serious things that have been ‘covered up’, because of not wanting to attach any negatives to charity organisations, I presume...the thing is with ‘investigations being complete’ etc...it would seem that Save the Children did not report sexual misconduct allegations against Brendan Cox so there was no intention to even proceed with investigations, let alone complete...and that to me is the bigger worry and especially in view of Oxfam scrutiny atm and the highlighting the media have helped to make aware there...so it can be a good thing, a very much needed thing as well because people have supported something which appears to have ‘hidden’ some very awful things, that support may have been reluctant to have been given if transparency were there...there should always be transparency with things like this...Brendan personally is now being ‘tried by the media’, but I think for me that’s not the biggest focus, he will have to weather that out... he is already becoming answerable which may result in legal charges etc, so that will take care of itself, as it were..those individual cases...

..anyways, regardless of what Brendan is guilty of or not guilty of, I would still expect support for him which he seems to be getting from friends and family and Jo’s family as well because those are people who have seen the ‘positives’ of him as well within his role in his families..I would also expect some support from the left leaning as well, just because there won’t be much from the right leaning.....that’s how it is with these things, we all know how the game works, we all play it...each and every one of us, which is why I so hate ‘hypocrisy’ being attached because we’re all hypocrites...because one size never fits all in anything really...
Old 21-02-2018, 06:36 AM #158

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Why, the allegations were due to a personal issue nothing to do with the charities?
He was at a charity function..thats good enough.
Old 21-02-2018, 08:17 AM #159
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...hmmm, the trial by media is a tricky one I think, Annie...yeah it can be a very negative and unfair thing but it also can highlight and bring into focus, some very serious things that have been ‘covered up’, because of not wanting to attach any negatives to charity organisations, I presume...the thing is with ‘investigations being complete’ etc...it would seem that Save the Children did not report sexual misconduct allegations against Brendan Cox so there was no intention to even proceed with investigations, let alone complete...and that to me is the bigger worry and especially in view of Oxfam scrutiny atm and the highlighting the media have helped to make aware there...so it can be a good thing, a very much needed thing as well because people have supported something which appears to have ‘hidden’ some very awful things, that support may have been reluctant to have been given if transparency were there...there should always be transparency with things like this...Brendan personally is now being ‘tried by the media’, but I think for me that’s not the biggest focus, he will have to weather that out... he is already becoming answerable which may result in legal charges etc, so that will take care of itself, as it were..those individual cases...

..anyways, regardless of what Brendan is guilty of or not guilty of, I would still expect support for him which he seems to be getting from friends and family and Jo’s family as well because those are people who have seen the ‘positives’ of him as well within his role in his families..I would also expect some support from the left leaning as well, just because there won’t be much from the right leaning.....that’s how it is with these things, we all know how the game works, we all play it...each and every one of us, which is why I so hate ‘hypocrisy’ being attached because we’re all hypocrites...because one size never fits all in anything really...
Well I mentioned hypocrisy so will deal with that part.
When I was on the right or as I am now even on the left,I condemn no one or no politician,unless I know more of them and/ or have my own experience,for anything not proven but only alleged.

Once something illegal and serious is proven,that's a different matter,however I condemn no one for said serious accusations,right or left,no matter who they may be either.
I also never have done so either.
Old 21-02-2018, 09:13 AM #160
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It just seems particularly bad when it's around charity events I think

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Old 21-02-2018, 09:25 AM #161
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
It just seems particularly bad when it's around charity events I think
Could be a little of the religion thing going on where scumbags use the cloak of "respectability" to abuse
Old 21-02-2018, 09:27 AM #162
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Could be a little of the religion thing going on where scumbags use the cloak of "respectability" to abuse
Yeah absolutely

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Old 21-02-2018, 09:53 AM #163
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
It wasn't revealed today, he left at the same time 2015.
Old 21-02-2018, 09:59 AM #164
You know my methods

You know my methods

"Mr Forsyth (Save the Children), who is now deputy executive director of Unicef in New York"

Yeah thats right he got another gig at another charity

oh and him and COx worked together for Gordon Brown...

you could not make this sh1t up

Old 21-02-2018, 10:05 AM #165
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post

The issue was brought into focus in 2015, when it was initially reported in the media.
In relation to the Oxfam scrutiny there was an investigation after reports to the charities regulator in 2011 when an investigation led to several people losing their posts, including the head of operations in Haiti.
the current CEO answering all the questions did not take up his post until 2013.
I don't understand your right/left leaning point, right leaning people are less likely to rely on evidence and more likely to believe 'facts' as they are presented in the media?
Old 21-02-2018, 11:41 AM #166
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

He has admitted being a sex pest. His wife must surely have known. I'm not sure how that affects her sainthood.
Old 21-02-2018, 01:59 PM #167
0_o

0_o

Quote:
He has admitted being a sex pest. His wife must surely have known. I'm not sure how that affects her sainthood.
I wouldn't say that..people can be very good at hiding stuff. Even if this did all come out a few years back when she was alive, chances are he managed to manipulate her into not believing it, or played it down to say it was a historical pat on the arse or something.

I mean, loads of people don't notice even when their partners are having full blown affairs! Even after being told about it they are convinced its not true. Some people don't know that their partners are mass murderers People are good at hiding stuff when it suits them.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Old 21-02-2018, 04:25 PM #168
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
I wouldn't say that..people can be very good at hiding stuff. Even if this did all come out a few years back when she was alive, chances are he managed to manipulate her into not believing it, or played it down to say it was a historical pat on the arse or something.

I mean, loads of people don't notice even when their partners are having full blown affairs! Even after being told about it they are convinced its not true. Some people don't know that their partners are mass murderers People are good at hiding stuff when it suits them.
Absolutely right in all that I'd say.

The slurs to Jo herself, and she isn't able to say anything herself after her shocking murder, are in my opinion anyway both cruel and unnecessary.

As you have pointed out the ways things can be concealed which can happen in families.
Even including when a parent abuses their children,it can often be the case the partner neither knew or suspected a thing.

Last edited by joeysteele; 21-02-2018 at 05:12 PM.
Old 21-02-2018, 04:31 PM #169
You know my methods

You know my methods

And these two were advising Gordon Brown??

No wonder he ruined his legacy and made Labour unelectable
Old 21-02-2018, 04:52 PM #170
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
I should be surprised at this sickening troll like comment from you...Strangely I'm not.
Old 21-02-2018, 05:15 PM #171
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

Some of the comments made in this thread about the victim of a terrorist murderer are nothing short of disgusting, but then this section is a cesspool so perhaps I should come to expect it.

The worst thing is that they're not even jokes or an attempt at humour, they're just nasty, patronising and demeaning aspersions cast against a woman who has had no such posthumous status afforded to her as is being implied.

I wonder how such comments would go down if they were about the likes of Lee Rigby, or the victims of the Brighton bombings. Maybe I'll try some and see.
Old 21-02-2018, 05:19 PM #172
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
Some of the comments made in this thread about the victim of a terrorist murderer are nothing short of disgusting, but then this section is a cesspool so perhaps I should come to expect it.

The worst thing is that they're not even jokes or an attempt at humour, they're just nasty, patronising and demeaning aspersions cast against a woman who has had no such posthumous status afforded to her as is being implied.

I wonder how such comments would go down if they were about the likes of Lee Rigby, or the victims of the Brighton bombings. Maybe I'll try some and see.
I actually think such comments take the forum to a low point very sadly.
I agree with every word you have said Jack_
They are really shocking.
Old 21-02-2018, 05:44 PM #173

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post

Yeah sadly this is reality,but who knows if Jo knew maybe she didn't believe it .

I know some people think somehow this is a witch Hunt which is ridiculous . We're all merely giving our opinions on this story.

We're not all going to agree ,but I wish there wasn't this guilt tripping going on over Jo's death . I for one even said how horrific her death was and had sympathy for her husband.

I even hoped after her shocking murder that BREXIT wouldn't happen,but that was just my political thought.

And the poor kids have no mother now ,and their dad has had this scandal to go through .
Old 21-02-2018, 06:00 PM #174
You know my methods

You know my methods

Anything to focus away from the issue

And guess what?

No one is surprised

Old 22-02-2018, 09:26 AM #175
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
I should be surprised at this sickening troll like comment from you...Strangely I'm not.
Sickening and troll like. Really? Not a slight overreaction from you?
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
admits, behaviour, brendan, charities, cox, inappropriate, quits