Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: Do you think it would be a good thing if ageing was 'cured'?
Yes 8 30.77%
Yes
8 30.77%
No 18 69.23%
No
18 69.23%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21-03-2018, 12:36 PM #51
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..so ‘I recall back in the day’...would become..’crikey, I can’t recall that far back, that was 900 years ago..’...it would be like those time travel movies...(..unless it was available to all..)...in having to feel the emotional pain of losing so many people that you loved...emotional pain is a huge thing of ‘aging’ as well, I think...so it would be ‘fighting’ that also....and it would be hard../...well impossible maybe...to plan for the future financially etc...when the future would be so endless...interesting though, if it were possible for all....
This is as well/... I doubt the human memory has the capacity to remember things that far back. So most likely, every few hundred years you would realise that you couldn't remember anything about your life 300+ years earlier other than major events.

(They also cover this in Doctor Who with Aria Stark's character... who is immortal but still human... when he meets her thousands of years after the start of her immortality, she has thousands of journals of her life because she can't actually remember most of it, and doesn't even consider herself to be the same person)

Also, whilst theoretically disease shouldn't be a thing (because if there's a technology that can alter biology to the extent that it would halt aging, it would presumably cure most if not all disease, and certainly the "big killers" like cancer)... I'd imagine that you would have to live a very careful life in order not to die in an accident within, say, 500 years.

In practical terms it would have to go hand-in-hand with a very strict limit on the number of children you can have or we'd be multiplying even faster than we already are. Maybe if the "immortality process" also makes you sterile?

ALSO... I don't think I would want to live forever / for thousands of years. Maybe 200 - 300 might be nice but not forever. Guess it would be good if you could "turn off" your immortality when you want to? Hmmm. Or I guess you could just jump off a bridge...
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 01:21 PM #52
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
I want to be here when Man colonizes other worlds. When cures are found for Cancer and other terrible diseases and when Peaceful Co-Existence of ALL Mankind is finally the 'Norm'.

Am I just a dreamer?
Well, humans are destructive, vindictive and territorial. I doubt we could ever live completely in peace. As for the life-saving treatments for all terrible diseases, yes, I would love that... but we have to sort out the problem of over-population because right now, nature is trying to get rid of the destructive virus - us - that is killing the planet and we're taking every step we can to counter that. Consequently we're all living longer and occupying the earth longer while the birth rate is still climbing. It's a bleak look into the future.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 01:54 PM #53

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Renee Graziano

Favourites (more):
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
CBB18: Renee Graziano

if they don't cure ageing i hope i die a swift painless death from some freak accident around 40 or so. i see my dad struggling to walk from really severe rheumatoid arthritis, i saw my grandad slowly suffocate to death from pulmonary fibrosis (a consequence of his RA, something i'm probably gonna end up getting - seems it runs in the family!). i don't want any of that in my future. i want to die healthy and happy and skinny and pain free!
RichardG is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 08:52 PM #54

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Well aubreys obviously had a head start.

http://www.thisisbigbrother.com/foru...d.php?t=137307
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 04:57 PM #55
swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):
BB19: Brooke
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

swapped for scrabble

Favourites (more):
BB19: Brooke
CBB22: Kirstie Alley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie89 View Post
Big Brother 1001, android-Deana winning the Cyborg Allstars. Probably other stuff might happen too
Where do I sign?

Spoiler:

Shifra, Tzabar, Ranin. BBIL 2008.
y.winter is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 05:13 PM #56
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Living over a hundred or so years isn't really a good thing.

A good and more "realistic" version of this might be if someone had a normal/slightly extended lifespan, and physically aged at like 1/10 of what they would normally, so they'd just appear to be middle aged at 80, but could still possibly die ... if that makes sense?

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
ageing, cured