Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 14-04-2018, 10:02 PM #651
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazanne View Post
Well some people just like to prod,prod,prod,don't they ?plus 'unprovoked ' ? I don't think so !!!
If she was banned for the comments she made to me; she responded to perfectly civil posts in a conversation she wasn't actually involved in, essentially called me stupid in an aggressive manner, and then also followed it up with another aggressive post...

Its not even that I don't "get it", clearly something I had said in another thread at another time has irritated her (probably multiple threads) but it still doesn't really validate direct personal attacks... Which were certainly unprovoked... Because she was responding to posts that weren't even directed at her and that were totally non-confrontational (more specifically, the posts were about the fact that I try to understand criminals because I find human psychology interesting ).

It's not the first time either; Livia has directly attacked me / suggested that I'm "not clever" based on what I do for a living before, too. She has a personal desire to "take me down a peg", I think. And I mean... I don't even particularly care... Like I said on the thread, I'm a big boy and I'm not insecure about my intelligence. I didn't report her, I wouldn't have wanted her banned, I like Livia when she's not mad at me but personal attacks like that are plainly against the rules so...
Old 14-04-2018, 10:46 PM #652
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
You never break the rules of course.
Smithy's been banned a fair few times to be fair.

Old 14-04-2018, 10:51 PM #653

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Livia has directly attacked me / suggested that I'm "not clever" based on what I do for a living before, too

I'll be having words on her return.
Old 14-04-2018, 11:07 PM #654
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Smithy's been banned a fair few times to be fair.
Yeah but it gets reveresed bc I’m pretty

The scars on my mind are on replay
Old 15-04-2018, 12:55 AM #655

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

I've been taking a break from posting for the last few days because I'm sick of the disgraceful posts on this thread in particular trying to dumb down antisemitism and making excuses for it. Now I see that Livia, a Jewish member on here and a well loved one, is thinking of leaving the forum. I hope some are proud of themselves for being the watch dogs of any anti - Muslim sentiments of even the mildest kind while trying to justify and even denying antisemitism....
and beyond this as to the other general problems brought up recently - as bitontheside has pointed out, nothing has changed and its just business as usual.
fk this.
Old 15-04-2018, 06:04 AM #656

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
I've been taking a break from posting for the last few days because I'm sick of the disgraceful posts on this thread in particular trying to dumb down antisemitism and making excuses for it. Now I see that Livia, a Jewish member on here and a well loved one, is thinking of leaving the forum. I hope some are proud of themselves for being the watch dogs of any anti - Muslim sentiments of even the mildest kind while trying to justify and even denying antisemitism....
and beyond this as to the other general problems brought up recently - as bitontheside has pointed out, nothing has changed and its just business as usual.
fk this.
I'm agreeing on this.it's not nice here anymore,but don't give up Jet it's what some want,I hate to see certain people picked out for different treatment,why can't the running of this site just be fair and impartial,carries on like it is there will be no forum to run, well not an adult one anyway,you're a good member Jet,just stay.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Old 15-04-2018, 06:27 AM #657
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
fk this.
The issue wasn't on this thread.
Old 15-04-2018, 06:29 AM #658
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

What a joke this thread has become... I have no clue why people are whipping themselves into a frenzy suggesting that there has been some kind of 'allowance' made for antisemitism because islamophobia exists!

Personally I think this is ridiculous, PERSONALLY I find any and all prejudice wrong and should be addressed.
Do I feel the labour leader should fall on his sword? No.
If this were the route then there should be a similar fate for others who fail in their duty to curtail prejudice in their respective parties.

I also refuse to categorise marginalised groups into least to most deserving of support. I don't have 'favourite' causes... ALL those who make abusive comments to any group should be dealt with proportionally.
Old 15-04-2018, 06:43 AM #659
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
PERSONALLY I find any and all prejudice wrong and should be addressed.
Do I feel the labour leader should fall on his sword? No.
If this were the route then there should be a similar fate for others who fail in their duty to curtail prejudice in their respective parties.

I also refuse to categorise marginalised groups into least to most deserving of support. I don't have 'favourite' causes... ALL those who make abusive comments to any group should be dealt with proportionally.
Indeed, the forum rules thread states quite clearly;

Quote:

i) Staff members on the forum have the right to delete, modify or change the content of any post at any time for any reason without notification to anyone. They can also ban or restrict forum members for any reason at anytime. If a moderator edits your post on the forum do not remove the edits. Do not post offensive material. Racism/homophobia/xenophobia/discrimination of any sort won't be tolerated.
... But the same people who have been arguing for literally YEARS that this should not be the case, that everyone is entitled to their own opinion no matter what, that no one should have to "walk on eggshells", etc. are now up in arms because this time it's an issue that they feel should be protected?

The idea that anyone has displayed any serious anti-Semitism on this thread is sort of ludicrous. I mean... I'm not sure but... I think on the other thread I was being accused of being somehow anti-Jewish for light-heartedly pointing out (my opinion that) God doesn't exist . Is atheism now tantamount to anti-Semitism?

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 15-04-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Old 15-04-2018, 07:15 AM #660
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I suppose the main difference is that Islamic terrorists are waging war on the West, killing innocents, wanting to drag us all back to the dark ages. Check out all the top ten lists of most wanted terrorists and tell me what they all have in common. And we ALL understand that Muslims are generally peaceful... Islamists and Jihadists though, they're terrorists.

Jewish people haven't waged war on anyone, and yet here we are, in 2018, having to accept the usual sickening racism because we're only Jews.

Anti-Semitism is more and more accepted. And when supporters of a major political party ignore a protest by ordinary, moderate Jews, with no axe to grind, I shouldn't be surprised at all the comments on here in support of Corbyn and his party.
Aside from the whole antisemetism issue, (which again I agree requires addressing adequately) can I say this is odd .. as a westerner to hear this 'dark ages' thing, as I thought the whole Jerusalem issue was due to it once being a homeland literally in the dark ages?

It can't be disputed that in that place there is effectively a war going on, and it has a very distinct religious element to it.
Old 15-04-2018, 07:39 AM #661
User banned

User banned

Quote:

... But the same people who have been arguing for literally YEARS that this should not be the case, that everyone is entitled to their own opinion no matter what, that no one should have to "walk on eggshells", etc. are now up in arms because this time it's an issue that they feel should be protected?

The idea that anyone has displayed any serious anti-Semitism on this thread is sort of ludicrous. I mean... I'm not sure but... I think on the other thread I was being accused of being somehow anti-Jewish for light-heartedly pointing out (my opinion that) God doesn't exist . Is atheism now tantamount to anti-Semitism?
Rather telling I think that they clearly prioritise the first three whilst adding ‘any discrimination will not be tolertated” as a second thought. The site focuses on those three whilst things like sexism, affecting 50% of the world population, is taken a lot less seriously as is ageism.

The treatment of all the isms is unbalanced on here with the majority on here preoccupied with racism and transphobia whilst at the same time blatantly being sexist and ageist. The blatant double standards are pretty sickening.
Old 15-04-2018, 08:15 AM #662
-

-

Quote:

The treatment of all the isms is unbalanced on here with the majority on here preoccupied with racism and transphobia whilst at the same time blatantly being sexist and ageist. The blatant double standards are pretty sickening.
I agree Brillo but only with the caveat that I think both of the things you mention are across the board; there is sexism against women AND men on here, and there is ageism against the old AND the young. And none of it is taken very seriously, although sexism against females is taken the most seriously (Truth's permanent ban is evidence of that).

Taking the trans issue as an example; the main reason it irks me so much isn't really any transphobia or trans rights issue. It's the fact that the entire discussion is infused with misandry and outright androphobia. It took some self reflection to realise that.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 15-04-2018 at 08:18 AM.
Old 15-04-2018, 08:33 AM #663
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

We can gaze at our navels until the cows come home. The admin and moderators are aware of the issues, we even heard proposals for how it was going to be addressed. It's for them to step up and do something about it
Old 15-04-2018, 08:42 AM #664
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
We can gaze at our navels until the cows come home. The admin and moderators are aware of the issues, we even heard proposals for how it was going to be addressed. It's for them to step up and do something about it
indeed.

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 15-04-2018, 08:46 AM #665
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:

That is not the issue at all, no one wants protection, but if there is protection it should be fairly applied, not dished out based on personal leanings.

I didn't see the other post you are referring to but I guess it's all about the context of the thread

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 15-04-2018, 08:52 AM #666
-

-

Quote:
Did we hear? I must have missed it. All I saw was the mods going secret squirrel by making their names the same colour and removing all indication that they are mods, yet still retaining mod powers... Which has to be one of the worst ideas I've ever seen in nearly 20 years as a regular on various forums .
Old 15-04-2018, 08:52 AM #667

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Maybe they think it might go away, but it wont,maybe an older mod thrown into the mix might help who can empathise with the older members and understand some of the grievances as I see it at the minute they see us a few moaning minnies who think we are treated unfairly,that is not quite right, some ARE treated unfairly imo , but also some are allowed to get away with far more than others ,that is a BIG problem and if a mod or admin cannot see that, well that makes me question how they got their position, I am still hopeful the problems are being sorted in the towers.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Old 15-04-2018, 08:53 AM #668
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
That is not the issue at all, no one wants protection, but if there is protection it should be fairly applied, not dished out based on personal leanings.
100% agree there tbf.
Old 15-04-2018, 09:02 AM #669
User banned

User banned

Quote:
I agree Brillo but only with the caveat that I think both of the things you mention are across the board; there is sexism against women AND men on here, and there is ageism against the old AND the young. And none of it is taken very seriously, although sexism against females is taken the most seriously (Truth's permanent ban is evidence of that).

Taking the trans issue as an example; the main reason it irks me so much isn't really any transphobia or trans rights issue. It's the fact that the entire discussion is infused with misandry and outright androphobia. It took some self reflection to realise that.
Probably - but I do feel that negative comments on men and the young tend to be reactionary. It is a natural response - if you constantly observe the young making ageist comments you will respond with negative comments relating to their youth and inexperience.

The same with men - when you see so much rampant sexism towards women on here people will sometimes respond with like. I am not saying it is ok just that I can understand the psychology behind it as I have done it myself. Sexism on here is better than it used to be but it still occurs too often - all the more frustrating when so many on here are obsessed with racism and transphobia. I don’t feel there is a real fear or hatred of the majority of men, other than the blatant sexist ones and predators out there, with seemingly many of them opportunistic - but most negative responses are a reaction to historical and current attitudes towards women by seemingly many men.

What equally annoys me is that the moderation is often as such that if someone responds to a sexist comment with an equally derogatory comment it often appears that they are the ones that get infracted/banned when the person that started it doesn’t.

Of course the mods will deny this but as it is such a closed and secretative system it is open to abuse by less scrupulous and biased mods. If they can publicly list who has been banned and for how long why can they not say for what. Infractions are even more secretive and any discrepancy almost impossible to prove.

Last edited by Brillopad; 15-04-2018 at 09:13 AM.
Old 15-04-2018, 09:16 AM #670
-

-

Quote:

The same with men - when you see so much rampant sexism towards women on here people will sometimes respond with like. I am not saying it is ok just that I can understand the psychology behind it as I have done it myself.
I actually agree with that and I think that's basically the case everywhere at the moment, especially social media / online. Women HAVE been on the back foot for most of history and now are feeling empowered (which is a great thing) and so maybe an element of backlash/anger, that might seem like misandry, was always going to happen in the short term and there's always going to be "collateral damage". Like you say it doesn't make it OK but the psychology is understandable.

On a positive note, maybe the fact that it's happening does mean that real equality isn't too far off, and things will settle down into a more equal society .

Worldwide that is. Not on here, TiBB is a lost cause
Old 15-04-2018, 09:30 AM #671
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen
Triumph of the Weird

Favourites (more):
BB19: Anamelia
CBB22: Gabby Allen

Should TiBB have a zero tolerance policy though? Because if fully enforced, this site would be seriously locked down in terms of what we would be able to say and do. I would think.

Anyway I have a lot of respect for a fair few members on here and just hope it is all resolved peacefully.

Quote:
I actually agree with that and I think that's basically the case everywhere at the moment, especially social media / online. Women HAVE been on the back foot for most of history and now are feeling empowered (which is a great thing) and so maybe an element of backlash/anger, that might seem like misandry, was always going to happen in the short term and there's always going to be "collateral damage". Like you say it doesn't make it OK but the psychology is understandable.

On a positive note, maybe the fact that it's happening does mean that real equality isn't too far off, and things will settle down into a more equal society .

Worldwide that is. Not on here, TiBB is a lost cause
TS, here's an intellectually masturbate-y video to fit with that view. I saw this a few months back and your comment reminded me of it...

As for my collective rage, I can summon mine at will...

Last edited by Maru; 15-04-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 15-04-2018, 09:33 AM #672
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Did we hear? I must have missed it. All I saw was the mods going secret squirrel by making their names the same colour and removing all indication that they are mods, yet still retaining mod powers... Which has to be one of the worst ideas I've ever seen in nearly 20 years as a regular on various forums .
Completely agree. Totally patronising gumph!
Old 15-04-2018, 09:36 AM #673
0_o

0_o

The name change thing wasn't our idea. And that was not meant to be all either but James has been very busy.

Staying out of this this time, besides pointing out that.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Old 15-04-2018, 09:38 AM #674

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Quote:

Dont hold your breath..time to revolt.
Old 15-04-2018, 09:52 AM #675
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
The name change thing wasn't our idea. And that was not meant to be all either but James has been very busy.

Staying out of this this time, besides pointing out that.
Well not to keep the thread way off topic but... On the Tapatalk app, mods still have what appears to be a picture of a tiny king(?) next to their usernames, which is for some reason really tickling my pickle .

Even admin has no power over the mighty Tapatalk.
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
antissemtic, secret