Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 31-01-2012, 08:20 PM #26
Piertotum Locomotor

Favourites:
BB14 USA: Britney

Piertotum Locomotor

Favourites:
BB14 USA: Britney

Really dislike Facebook, it was good before it became the new cool thing for everyone to have a Facebook account. It's the cause of so many arguments these days and I'm glad I stopped using it. Very overrated website, plus I don't trust the site, they sell off your details to companies.
Callum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 08:37 PM #27
legend

legend

Eh used to love it but now I've changed my mind. It's pointless except for uploading photos to photo albums because I don't have them on my computer (I keep forgetting to, was too late with Bebo as it closed down recently, RIP my old pictures). People on my friend list have got to the point where I hate all of them and they aren't even friends. Except TiBB people and my real life close friends the other 300 are purely people I "sort of kinda don't really" know and they all irritate me. I'm trying to stop using it because all I do is moan.

However, I found my father on it in 2010; I'd never had any contact with him prior to that and now we talk regularly which is nice. So it has some good purpose, like when I find old primary school friends. Also inbox is a lifesaver when it comes to talking to friends and arranging events.

But overall it's useless and I did like the timeline but it slows my computer and people can see my stuff too easily. Eh, Twitter is far superior.
Doogle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 08:39 PM #28
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
I dont get why people take such a strong stance against it..its just a website like
This.

It's a handy place to have a muck about with my friends when they aren't here with me. It's pretty much replaced having to text people which is ****ing A in my book.

How can you be 'anti' Facebook? It's like me being totally against painting houses red. I don't get it.

Twitter is useless for talking to your actual friends. Maybe it's because I don't have any friends who use it but for me it's a site for famous people, people wanting to ask famous people questions, and ordinary people using it and hoping others will follow their mundane, non famous thoughts.

Last edited by Stu; 31-01-2012 at 08:42 PM.
Stu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 08:41 PM #29
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

Stu, it's me. You know me. You should know by now that I can pretty much be 'anti' anything.
Old 31-01-2012, 08:57 PM #30
Sam:)

Favourites (more):
CBB16: Natasha Hamilton
BB16: Marc
Sam:)

Favourites (more):
CBB16: Natasha Hamilton
BB16: Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
This.

It's a handy place to have a muck about with my friends when they aren't here with me. It's pretty much replaced having to text people which is ****ing A in my book.

How can you be 'anti' Facebook? It's like me being totally against painting houses red. I don't get it.

Twitter is useless for talking to your actual friends. Maybe it's because I don't have any friends who use it but for me it's a site for famous people, people wanting to ask famous people questions, and ordinary people using it and hoping others will follow their mundane, non famous thoughts.
This describes my feelings exactly
Sam:) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 09:17 PM #31
Z

Z

The thing with Facebook is that if it continues to greedily expand in the way that it currently is planning on doing - it'll become one of those things that is so widely available that people start to ignore it and not care about it in the way that it would like people to. Much in the way that Google has - people use it all the time, so much so that they take it for granted, and yet when Google launched a new venture (Google+) people snorted at it and haven't taken to the idea. Who's to say that Facebook won't go the same way? If they start trying to branch out into other things, people might roll their eyes at it and cease to care. And most things on the internet seem to have a shelf life, particularly social media networks - just look at MySpace. I think the increasing reliance on Facebook will be hard to resist but it is an absolute nightmare that your whole life could (and often is) be broadcast through it in ways that you don't immediately realise. Do you really want people to be reading about what you posted in 2007, in 2017, for example? Time will tell...

Last edited by Z; 31-01-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 09:25 PM #32

Favourites (more):
BB12: Mark
UBB: Brian

Favourites (more):
BB12: Mark
UBB: Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall View Post
I have Facebook mostly due to the fact that everyone else has it and it's a medium in which I can contact my friends easily, for free, and en massé if needed.

If Facebook lacked it's awesome messaging system then I either wouldn't have an account or I would be signed up, but just wouldn't use my account.

I hate the people on there anyway. I only go on there to write the occasional status update or message people. Most of the people in my 'friends' list are so dumb it hurts.

Not so awesome messaging system, mine hasn't worked for the last month

Then why have you accepted them as friends?
Incensed is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 09:26 PM #33
V.I.P

Favourites (more):
BBCanada: Talla
CBB 11: Speidi

V.I.P

Favourites (more):

A massive part of society would struggle if Facebook died. Fact.
Old 31-01-2012, 09:35 PM #34
V.I.P

Favourites (more):

V.I.P

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
Although Facebook Timeline is so awful and over the place I don't think I'll be on there anymore once they change mine over permanently
I've had it for 2 months, it really isn't that bad once you get use to it.
Old 31-01-2012, 09:35 PM #35
Born to Folk

Born to Folk

It depends really, if there are things you want access to that you cannot get anywhere else i.e your magazine it may be worth just setting up an account for that. I think the only detail you have to give is your email address, everything else you can make up and you don't have to put any personal information on at all (at least you didn't when I signed up) and you can set your account to private so no one can view it unless you want them to.
I use it purely to keep in contact with friends and family who are not in the uk or If I want to make arrangements with a group of friends and save my phone bill. I rarely make public posts on there.
Bollo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 09:41 PM #36
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollo View Post
It depends really, if there are things you want access to that you cannot get anywhere else i.e your magazine it may be worth just setting up an account for that. I think the only detail you have to give is your email address, everything else you can make up and you don't have to put any personal information on at all (at least you didn't when I signed up) and you can set your account to private so no one can view it unless you want them to.
I use it purely to keep in contact with friends and family who are not in the uk or If I want to make arrangements with a group of friends and save my phone bill. I rarely make public posts on there.
I think I might have to sign up and use it in much the same way. :/
Old 31-01-2012, 09:44 PM #37
V.I.P

Favourites (more):

V.I.P

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
Eh used to love it but now I've changed my mind. It's pointless except for uploading photos to photo albums because I don't have them on my computer (I keep forgetting to, was too late with Bebo as it closed down recently, RIP my old pictures). People on my friend list have got to the point where I hate all of them and they aren't even friends. Except TiBB people and my real life close friends the other 300 are purely people I "sort of kinda don't really" know and they all irritate me. I'm trying to stop using it because all I do is moan.

However, I found my father on it in 2010; I'd never had any contact with him prior to that and now we talk regularly which is nice. So it has some good purpose, like when I find old primary school friends. Also inbox is a lifesaver when it comes to talking to friends and arranging events.

But overall it's useless and I did like the timeline but it slows my computer and people can see my stuff too easily. Eh, Twitter is far superior.
Points in bold are the points as to why you're abit idioitic in calling it 'Useless'.
It's probably the least useless site on the internet, it's became part of people's lives in a sense - the way texting use to be.

If it were suddenly gone, people couldn't find their long lost friends or family members they lost contact with, they couldn't upload their photos, they couldn't keep up with a large group of people socially, there would be nowhere to share your thoughts with online and get instant responses etc

It's a great site, just they're trying to change far too much - that's the road Bebo went down before people just left it.
But yeah, one thing it isn't - is useless.
Old 31-01-2012, 09:48 PM #38
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

I like Facebook, like Twitter it is a brillaint method of gathering information, I mean..last night I was in a conversation with the producers of Silent Hill, this morning I was talking to the guy who wrote the early games. Without social networking, these people would have no way to connect with their fans.
Old 31-01-2012, 09:49 PM #39
legend

legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Points in bold are the points as to why you're abit idioitic in calling it 'Useless'.
It's probably the least useless site on the internet, it's became part of people's lives in a sense - the way texting use to be.

If it were suddenly gone, people couldn't find their long lost friends or family members they lost contact with, they couldn't upload their photos, they couldn't keep up with a large group of people socially, there would be nowhere to share your thoughts with online and get instant responses etc

It's a great site, just they're trying to change far too much - that's the road Bebo went down before people just left it.
But yeah, one thing it isn't - is useless.
Cool.

But it feels pointless now. Once upon a time it was great and helpful. My Dad and I can talk by other means now, and I can go without uploading my pictures; I should just save them to the computer and back them up. It's not the end of the world really. I do that stuff out of force of habit, I have gotten to the stage where everything is habit. I don't need it. I can live without it.
Doogle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 09:55 PM #40
Born to Folk

Born to Folk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily. View Post
I think I might have to sign up and use it in much the same way. :/
I know how you feel, I didn't really want to sign up at first either as I was on myspace and much preferred that as it was more music orientated, but then everyone migrated to Facebook and dragged me with them...I never signed up to Twitter as I don't really get the point, but that's probably just me

Last edited by Bollo; 31-01-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 31-01-2012, 10:17 PM #41

I have facebook but only go on it to do a little noseying and check out the latest event I have been invited to. I havn't put a "status" update on there in over 3 years. I just find it invasive and I don't want to put all my life on facebook. I have like 200 "friends" but only like 10 of them I really care about. I couldn't care less if the other 190 blocked me.

I just have it because it's there. But have most settings on private and that.

I rather just go onto other sites.
Beastie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 10:28 PM #42
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bollo View Post
I know how you feel, I didn't really want to sign up at first either as I was on myspace and much preferred that as it was more music orientated, but then everyone migrated to Facebook and dragged me with them...I never signed up to Twitter as I don't really get the point, but that's probably just me
I have twitter. I like it for chatting with online friends.

I loved myspace. It was amazing, but like you say, everyone left, and you can't really stay there on your own. :/
Old 31-01-2012, 10:29 PM #43
Jesus.

Jesus.

Quote:
I know most of you probably use Facebook and I've always been in the minority with my anti-Facebook stance, but I wonder if I'm missing out.

I don't need it to 'stalk' people, but I've found myself unable to participate in contests, or to gain access to information without 'liking' a certain Facebook page. For example, there's a new online music magazine I'd like to read, but I have to 'like it now to get the first issue'. I can't 'like' anything, as I don't have a Facebook account.

This has led me to question if the omnipresent nature of the site makes it impossible to continue to shun it.

Thoughts?
Good post. However, anything that needs faceache is not worth bothering about. Maybe you could write to the magazine and explain your situation. I think it's just assumed that everyone has it these days, so companies have become even lazier. The more people that make an issue of these things, the greater our chance of wrestling a percentage of influence back. After all, we're consumers too.
  Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 10:39 PM #44
Locke.

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
CBB20: Paul Danan

Locke.

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
CBB20: Paul Danan

Comes in pretty handy when you're at school/college. Pretty bored of it now though
Locke. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 10:48 PM #45
Born to Folk

Born to Folk

Quote:
I have twitter. I like it for chatting with online friends.
Forgive my ignorance then, I didn't know you could do that. I always thought it was about 'following' people, but then I am easily confused ...
Old 31-01-2012, 11:08 PM #46
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

Jesus: I wonder if my complaint would be taken seriously amongst the 99% of potential readers who already have Facebook. It's hard to be heard when you are in the minority.

Bollo: You can use it to chat also. Everyone uses it for different things I suppose. I follow famous people on it who clearly don't chat with me, but I also follow non-famous people and I chat with them.

Last edited by lily.; 31-01-2012 at 11:09 PM.
lily. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2012, 11:26 PM #47
Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace
BB2023: Yinrun

Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace
BB2023: Yinrun

I like Facebook for the fact that it's so much easier to keep in contact with all the people I meet around the world while travelling, and a great way to get hold of them if I'm going to be near them at some point.

It's never too late to be who you once could have been...

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN

Anyway there's an explanation and I don't really appreciate your tone. It's very aggressive so I'm going to close this, sorry for killing the internet mate

Benjamin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:22 AM #48

Thumbs down Is Facebook necessary?

Not for me - the only major virus I ever contracted came via a Facebook link .....

I don't use Facebook, I don't want it and I don't need it .....
Omah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:38 AM #49
The voice of reason

The voice of reason

Its not necessary, its just a fad. if you think it is necessary then its your vanity speaking to you.
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 10:27 AM #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omah View Post
Not for me - the only major virus I ever contracted came via a Facebook link .....

I don't use Facebook, I don't want it and I don't need it .....

I have Facebook
its great and family and mates on it to.

No one has to have it.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
facebook