Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: Do you want Scotland to be independent?
Yes 21 41.18%
Yes
21 41.18%
No 30 58.82%
No
30 58.82%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-07-2014, 09:38 AM #501
BB Sees All 👀

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
BB19: Brooke

BB Sees All 👀

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
BB19: Brooke

still voting no.

#bettertogether

Thanks to Littlegreen for my lovely sig
andybigbro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 09:49 AM #502

Quote:
Originally Posted by andybigbro View Post
still voting no.

#bettertogether

Thats OK Andy
but is still good so many what Freedom
there is also many floating voters
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 09:51 AM #503
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
still voting no.

#bettertogether
Good to hear that, the family I have in Scotland too are all voting no,I just hope they go out and vote in September.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 10:46 AM #504

Quote:
still voting no.

#bettertogether
Same
Josy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 11:23 AM #505
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
People are pretty much people wherever you go. No one's all good, or all bad. Like I keep saying to you.
Good for you thats your generalised pc opinion, I disagree. I think different countries, different cultures, different beliefs, different everything create different people. in my travels I have found scotland to be a wholly frendlier place than england
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 11:34 AM #506
Platinum Member

Platinum Member

Now that Mr Juncker of the EU has made it clear there will be no new member countries for at least 5 years, it suggests Scotland could be outside the EU for quite a while.

That could have an affect on the voting outcome, as EU membership is pretty crucial to Scotland.
CaudleHalbard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 11:36 AM #507

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaudleHalbard View Post
Now that Mr Juncker of the EU has made it clear there will be no new member countries for at least 5 years, it suggests Scotland could be outside the EU for quite a while.

That could have an affect on the voting outcome, as EU membership is pretty crucial to Scotland.
well if the UK votes to leave the EU, maybe Scotland could take their place...

Last edited by lostalex; 24-07-2014 at 11:37 AM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 11:37 AM #508
Platinum Member

Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
well if the UK votes to leave the Eu, maybe Scotland could take their place...
Indeed. Lol!
Old 24-07-2014, 11:45 AM #509
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
well if the UK votes to leave the EU, maybe Scotland could take their place...
Spain would never let that happen because then they would have to recognise Catalan's claim.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 11:55 AM #510

Quote:
Spain would never let that happen because then they would have to recognise Catalan's claim.
A new federal Scotland would have many friends in the US, and if the UK did leave the EU(which won't ever happen but we are talking hypothetically) the US would do everything in it's power to make sure that Scotland replaced the Uk in the EU. The US has more power in the EU than you think. actually more power than Spain. The US would make sure that we still have powerful friends in the EU, no matter what. (preferably english speaking ones)

Last edited by lostalex; 24-07-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 24-07-2014, 12:01 PM #511
Platinum Member

Platinum Member

Quote:
The US has more power in the EU than you think
Oh that's for sure. They are dying for the likes of Ukraine to join.

It is all part of the wider globalisation agenda.

Last edited by CaudleHalbard; 24-07-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 24-07-2014, 12:05 PM #512
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
A new federal Scotland would have many friends in the US, and if the UK did leave the EU(which won't ever happen but we are talking hypothetically) the US would do everything in it's power to make sure that Scotland replaced the Uk in the EU. The US has more power in the EU than you think. actually more power than Spain. The US would make sure that we still have powerful friends in the EU, no matter what. (preferably english speaking ones)
I work in politics Alex, I work for the government now and I've worked with MEPs in the past. I know exactly how much sway the US has in Europe. And since the US was found to be bugging - amongst other people - Angela Merkel's phone for years, let me tell you... your sway used to be small, now it's miniscule. The US would not be able to veto the vote of a state like Spain. It'd be like thinking that Spain could veto the vote of California in a national US vote.

Last edited by Livia; 24-07-2014 at 12:06 PM.
Old 24-07-2014, 12:09 PM #513
User banned

User banned

of all the people youd want to upset, merkel was bottom of the list. I can only expect thats done huge damage to US/ EU relations
Old 24-07-2014, 12:12 PM #514

Quote:
I work in politics Alex, I work for the government now and I've worked with MEPs in the past. I know exactly how much sway the US has in Europe. And since the US was found to be bugging - amongst other people - Angela Merkel's phone for years, let me tell you... your sway used to be small, now it's miniscule. The US would not be able to veto the vote of a state like Spain. It'd be like thinking that Spain could veto the vote of California in a national US vote.
If you actually worked in politics, you'd know that spain is seen as a dog in the EU, as a problem. Their economy and their nation as a whole is in the can. They are seen as the FLORIDA of Europe. A place with some valuable property, where the important people buy land, but have no respect for the place where they buy that land from. all of the southern european countries are seen as dogs. The most important countries in the EU are the UK, France, Germany, and the USA, in that order. yes, USA is in the top 4 even though it's not even part of the EU.

Last edited by lostalex; 24-07-2014 at 12:16 PM.
Old 24-07-2014, 12:15 PM #515

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
of all the people youd want to upset, merkel was bottom of the list. I can only expect thats done huge damage to US/ EU relations
lol, Merkel was so upset and angered by the revelations about US spying, remind me again what sanctions she's put on the US? or what any ****ing country has done since the Snowden revelations?? oh yea, absolutely NOTHING.

No country has retaliated against the US in any meaningful way because of the Snowden revelations. Because they already knew, and they don't give a ****.

Last edited by lostalex; 24-07-2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old 24-07-2014, 12:19 PM #516
User banned

User banned

Quote:
lol, Merkel was so upset and angered by the revelations about US spying, remind me again what sanctions she's put on the US? or what any ****ing country has done since the Snowden revelations?? oh yea, absolutely NOTHING.
what did u expect? the hindenberg? political machinations are covert and unseen....merkel was seething and rightly so....it was the start of mass expose of the US secret services underhand practices. you honestly dont think there will now be ever growing trust issues which will have innumerable consequences
Old 24-07-2014, 12:22 PM #517

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
what did u expect? the hindenberg? political machinations are covert and unseen....merkel was seething and rightly so....it was the start of mass expose of the US secret services underhand practices. you honestly dont think there will now be ever growing trust issues which will have innumerable consequences
i know for sure there won't be. because if the US actually pulled out of NATO and actually let Europe be responsible for it's own security, Europe would **** itself, and never agree on anything, imagine Europe being responsible for it's own security? lol i can't. the french, the britsh, the germans all trying to figure out who paid for what equipment, and who would be in charge? LOL what a cluster**** that would be.

Europe needs America more than America needs Europe. There's no doubt about that.

Last edited by lostalex; 24-07-2014 at 12:23 PM.
Old 24-07-2014, 01:14 PM #518
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
If you actually worked in politics, you'd know that spain is seen as a dog in the EU, as a problem. Their economy and their nation as a whole is in the can. They are seen as the FLORIDA of Europe. A place with some valuable property, where the important people buy land, but have no respect for the place where they buy that land from. all of the southern european countries are seen as dogs. The most important countries in the EU are the UK, France, Germany, and the USA, in that order. yes, USA is in the top 4 even though it's not even part of the EU.
I do actually work in politics. You're not new here, you knew that. Your perceptions of how European states think of each other has obviously been gained from a combination of the Internet and the American press because it's parsecs off the truth.

I'd be interested to hear what Germany's comments would be regarding the USA being "in Europe", especially after the US was caught out shamefully bugging a European leader and ally. You've burned your bridges rather there, a lot of leniency was withdrawn, I suspect never to return.

Europeans vote in the European elections to elect Members of the European Parliament. Unless I've been misinformed, the USA doesn't get a vote, so you don't get a say.

More interesting still is that you would think you're a part of Europe when so few Americans have a passport and so many couldn't even point to Germany on a map. That's fine... most Europeans couldn't point to Nebraska on a map. But then, we don't imagine we're part of the USA.
Old 24-07-2014, 01:17 PM #519
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
i know for sure there won't be. because if the US actually pulled out of NATO and actually let Europe be responsible for it's own security, Europe would **** itself, and never agree on anything, imagine Europe being responsible for it's own security? lol i can't. the french, the britsh, the germans all trying to figure out who paid for what equipment, and who would be in charge? LOL what a cluster**** that would be.

Europe needs America more than America needs Europe. There's no doubt about that.
Alex, the USA government is a mess. You have massive unemployment, racial disharmony, poverty, a shaky economy, massive social divides... every problem Europe faces, the USA also faces. I suggest you get all bent out of shape about your own government before getting all bent out of shape about how big a deal the USA might be in Europe.
Old 24-07-2014, 01:22 PM #520

Quote:
Alex, the USA government is a mess. You have massive unemployment, racial disharmony, poverty, a shaky economy, massive social divides... every problem Europe faces, the USA also faces. I suggest you get all bent out of shape about your own government before getting all bent out of shape about how big a deal the USA might be in Europe.
interesting points about US domestic politics Livia, but i don't remember the USA ever asking the EU to help with North American politics... what does that tell you? The Eu still asks the US to get involved in their matters...on a consistent basis. When is Europe gonna stop playing these pathetic games, knowing they depend on the US but pretend to hate America?

When's the last time any European country had any significant influence in The Americas politically? Yet the US is still super important in almost every European issue? So who relies on who?
America is still ****ing important in Europe, but Europe is irrelevant in the Americas.

don't get it twisted babe.

Last edited by lostalex; 24-07-2014 at 01:27 PM.
Old 24-07-2014, 02:00 PM #521
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
interesting points about US domestic politics Livia, but i don't remember the USA ever asking the EU to help with North American politics... what does that tell you? The Eu still asks the US to get involved in their matters...on a consistent basis. When is Europe gonna stop playing these pathetic games, knowing they depend on the US but pretend to hate America?

When's the last time any European country had any significant influence in The Americas politically? Yet the US is still super important in almost every European issue? So who relies on who?
America is still ****ing important in Europe, but Europe is irrelevant in the Americas.

don't get it twisted babe.

Why is it so important to you to insist Europe is insignificant in the USA but the USA is a really big deal in Europe? It isn't. When did the EU ask the USA to get involved with European politics? And I have to bang on about this... since the USA was caughty spying on its allies, the USA has lost a massive amount of trust and respect in Europe.

Oh, and a little edit here: No one hates America. Not agreeing that the USA runs the world is not the same as hating them. I love the States, I've lived and worked there, I've travelled there many times. No hate here. Quite the reverse, in fact.

Last edited by Livia; 24-07-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 24-07-2014, 02:18 PM #522

Quote:
Why is it so important to you to insist Europe is insignificant in the USA but the USA is a really big deal in Europe? It isn't. When did the EU ask the USA to get involved with European politics? And I have to bang on about this... since the USA was caughty spying on its allies, the USA has lost a massive amount of trust and respect in Europe.

Oh, and a little edit here: No one hates America. Not agreeing that the USA runs the world is not the same as hating them. I love the States, I've lived and worked there, I've travelled there many times. No hate here. Quite the reverse, in fact.
i find it hard to believe you actually have a career in politics, cause you sound very naive on these issues. sounds more like you have a job in journalism, not politics. no offense babe.

amnd if you think the US isn't a big deal in Europe, check out how much press coverage the US gets in all European countries, then compare how much each of those individual counties gets press coverage in the US. It's clear who is more important to whom.

Then compare the mentions of the US in every european parliament compared to how many mentions each european country is mentioned in the Us congress. I'm not making this **** up babe. if you need quantitative facts, look it up, do the study, i think you know i'm right.

i'm not just making **** up dude.

Last edited by lostalex; 24-07-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 24-07-2014, 03:02 PM #523

I don't really understand what the possible implications of Scotland being independent would be.

It seemed that there were so many Scottish MPs in Parliament at one time, that the Scots were running the UK anyway

I have no problem with the concept of Scotland being an independent country but what the reality of the economics and politics would be, I can't really grasp.
Tip is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-07-2014, 03:05 PM #524

scotland is never going to be an independent country, don't worry. it ain't gonna happen, even if it was gonna happen, it still wouldn't happen. period.

Last edited by lostalex; 24-07-2014 at 03:05 PM.
Old 24-07-2014, 03:06 PM #525
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
i find it hard to believe you actually have a career in politics, cause you sound very naive on these issues. sounds more like you have a job in journalism, not politics. no offense babe.

amnd if you think the US isn't a big deal in Europe, check out how much press coverage the US gets in all European countries, then compare how much each of those individual counties gets press coverage in the US. It's clear who is more important to whom.

Then compare the mentions of the US in every european parliament compared to how many mentions each european country is mentioned in the Us congress. I'm not making this **** up babe. if you need quantitative facts, look it up, do the study, i think you know i'm right.

i'm not just making **** up dude.

Ah... so you've judged my whole career on a few posts on a forum? You must be astonishingly gifted, Alex. Tell me, what is it you do for a career again? I'm guessing whatever it is, it has nothing to do with politics as you're so uninformed, and nothing to do with diplomacy, as you've just insulted my career and my qualifications by erroneously calling me naive when the boot is quite firmly on the other foot. No offence, babe.

I adore you Alex, but you make yourself look a little silly when you persist with "Team America" nonsense. And yeah, you are pretty much making this **** up, dude.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
2015, independance, republic, scotland, scotland decides, scottish