Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:35 AM #701
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Old 02-05-2015, 06:33 AM #702

arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:29 AM #703

Interesting.
Ed Miliband enters the final lap of the election boosted by a poll today showing Labour has regained the lead over the Tories.

The Survation survey for the Daily Mirror reveals Labour has overturned a 4pt lead for David Cameron to take a point advantage.

Just a week ago Ed Miliband was trailing on 29%.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/po...tories-5618314

billy123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 08:34 AM #704
The voice of reason

The voice of reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnot View Post
Interesting.
Ed Miliband enters the final lap of the election boosted by a poll today showing Labour has regained the lead over the Tories.

The Survation survey for the Daily Mirror reveals Labour has overturned a 4pt lead for David Cameron to take a point advantage.

Just a week ago Ed Miliband was trailing on 29%.
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/po...tories-5618314

for the Daily Mirror

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 09:56 AM #705
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

And why are the suns yougov polls more accurate?...
Old 02-05-2015, 12:58 PM #706
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Exercise of regulatory functions: economic growth

(1)A person exercising a regulatory function to which this section applies must, in the exercise of the function, have regard to the desirability of promoting economic growth.
(2)In performing the duty under subsection (1), the person must, in particular, consider the importance for the promotion of economic growth of exercising the regulatory function in a way which ensures that—
(a)regulatory action is taken only when it is needed, and
(b)any action taken is proportionate.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/...on/108/enacted
Old 02-05-2015, 03:20 PM #707
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

yaaaaasssss even more of a Ronnie fan than I already was now, what a great man
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:32 PM #708
Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

what a guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 03:41 PM #709
Banned

Banned

I'm sick of getting a lot of **** through my letterbox every morning, I live in a marginal constituency so everywhere you go you get harassed by campaigners and leaflets.

I'm getting quite irked with it all.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:27 AM #710

Farage is on Marr now

Then Its Clegg
Old 03-05-2015, 09:07 AM #711
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Farage is on Marr now

Then Its Clegg
Do you know, I really think Nigel Farage made the best points this morning. He was so right to suggest with 4 days left, can there be discussion as to the 'issues' of policy in the election rather than deals with who after the election.

Absolutely staggering too,from Nick Clegg, after the last tuition fees fiasco,that to Yvette Cooper's question,as to would he vote to increase tuition fees further, he cold not say a firm 'no' to that.
Beyond all belief.

I also have to say,Andrew Marr has now become sadly one of the worst interviewers, he stays on topics that are a waste of time to even start and his programme has gone down dramatically.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 09:38 AM #712

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
Do you know, I really think Nigel Farage made the best points this morning. He was so right to suggest with 4 days left, can there be discussion as to the 'issues' of policy in the election rather than deals with who after the election.

Absolutely staggering too,from Nick Clegg, after the last tuition fees fiasco,that to Yvette Cooper's question,as to would he vote to increase tuition fees further, he cold not say a firm 'no' to that.
Beyond all belief.

I also have to say,Andrew Marr has now become sadly one of the worst interviewers, he stays on topics that are a waste of time to even start and his programme has gone down dramatically.

Yes thats why I like to hear Farage
Old 03-05-2015, 10:06 AM #713

Farage is now on SkyNewsHD
Old 03-05-2015, 11:25 AM #714
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

I was also pleased to learn this morning that Nigel Farage has admitted he got Ed Miliband wrong as to changing his mind on an EU referendum.

His addition to that because he didn't, has made any agreements between those two parties impossible, I think Nigel Farage is actually slightly disappointed as to that.

Last edited by joeysteele; 03-05-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:49 PM #715

CNN now
UK Election Debate

In or Out of Europe

UKIP , Labour, LibDem
Conservative there

They have LCD touch screen votings

Repeated at 10:30PM

Last edited by arista; 03-05-2015 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:47 PM #716
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

you know, I'm feeling pretty confident that the other parties will work together to keep the toxic tories locked out.
If you look at the legislation that's been rushed through and has achieved assent in the last year its clear why they should never be let back in.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:50 PM #717
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Financial crisis not caused by Labour over-spending, says top Treasury official

Patrick Wintour Patrick Wintour
Sir Nicholas Macpherson, the permanent secretary to the Treasury, has argued that the 2008 financial crisis was “a banking crisis pure and simple”, contradicting Conservative claims that it was caused by Labour over-spending, Patrick Wintour reports.

[Macpherson’s] surprising remarks come after Ed Miliband came under pressure on a leader’s question time debate last week that Labour government had overspent, a view strengthened by the notorious letter left by the former Liam Byrne treasury chief secretary to his successor saying there is “no money left”.

In a largely challenging review of Mr Osborne’s Economic Experiment, a book by William Keegan, the Observer economics columnist, Macpherson wrote “some of Keegan’s book resonates. The 2008 crisis was a banking crisis pure and simple. Excessive risk had built up in the system; the regulators failed to appreciate the scale of that risk or to address it.

“As he puts it, it was ‘a failure of the Group of Seven economic policymaking establishment’, myself included. Inevitably, countries with bigger banking sectors, notably the UK, were worse affected.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...b0fc4f1b18c06b
Old 03-05-2015, 03:58 PM #718
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

It was the labour party that over spent, selling off all our assets that made it an event we couldn't cope with. Simple.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 04:30 PM #719
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Financial crisis not caused by Labour over-spending, says top Treasury official

Patrick Wintour Patrick Wintour
Sir Nicholas Macpherson, the permanent secretary to the Treasury, has argued that the 2008 financial crisis was “a banking crisis pure and simple”, contradicting Conservative claims that it was caused by Labour over-spending, Patrick Wintour reports.

[Macpherson’s] surprising remarks come after Ed Miliband came under pressure on a leader’s question time debate last week that Labour government had overspent, a view strengthened by the notorious letter left by the former Liam Byrne treasury chief secretary to his successor saying there is “no money left”.

In a largely challenging review of Mr Osborne’s Economic Experiment, a book by William Keegan, the Observer economics columnist, Macpherson wrote “some of Keegan’s book resonates. The 2008 crisis was a banking crisis pure and simple. Excessive risk had built up in the system; the regulators failed to appreciate the scale of that risk or to address it.

“As he puts it, it was ‘a failure of the Group of Seven economic policymaking establishment’, myself included. Inevitably, countries with bigger banking sectors, notably the UK, were worse affected.”

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...b0fc4f1b18c06b
He is right.
You know Kizzy,I wanted to vote Conservative in 2010,however I never blamed Labour for the financial crisis, I just felt they had run out of steam and I was disappointed with Gordon Brown's performance as PM.
Anyway like you, for my sins I voted Lib Dem in the end mainly because of tuition fees.

In both elections after 1997 however, in 2001 and 2005,both under William Hague and Michael Howard, the Conservatives said they would keep to Labour's spending plans if they had won those elections.
So little would have been different once the crash came likely anyway.

Where they differred before 2008,was once David Cameron became leader in 2005, he and the Conservative opposition then felt that the Labour govt; was actually regulating the Banks 'too much'!!

I do criticise heavily Gordon Brown for selling off the gold reserves,they would have certainly offset some of the effects of the crash,he also made bad decisions as to pension funds too.

By the same token to be fair, the Conservative govts; of the 80s sold off the public utilities very cheaply too,gas, electricity and water.
It seesm to be a problem govts; have as to getting really good and the very best deals..

There would have been the same crash, the same massive recession,the same baling out of the Banks and subsequently some really enormous mess and task for the nex govt; after the financial crisis hit globally.
Whoever had been in,would have left chaos in 2010.

It may well have been under the Conservatives, more human cost as to massively high unemployment,rather than a financial mess but some really nasty situation would have been left no matter what govt; had been in power.
No way could I have seen the Conservatives letting the Banks go to the wall and the massive fears ensuing for savers funds and other customers accounts.

I think Liam Byrne's letter was a stupid thing to even write by anyone for any new govt; to see, however to have someone like Lib Dem. David Laws highlighting that at the time was equally a sick joke too.

Govts' get it wrong, I do think myself, with 11 unbroken years of growth and no hint of recession,despite their spending between 1997 to 2007,really Labour should have,and were in the position to, planning more for any bad times that may come.

That was a failure on their part but no way did I blame Labour for the crash itself,(I don't think any so called brilliant forward looking worldwide financial institutions even saw that banking crisis coming either), and I doubt much of any planning for bad times would have avoided the massive effects of the crash and recession that came from it.
It didn't help,I admit, that they didn't prepare for times like that 'possibly happening' however.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:51 PM #720
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
He is right.
You know Kizzy,I wanted to vote Conservative in 2010,however I never blamed Labour for the financial crisis, I just felt they had run out of steam and I was disappointed with Gordon Brown's performance as PM.
Anyway like you, for my sins I voted Lib Dem in the end mainly because of tuition fees.

In both elections after 1997 however, in 2001 and 2005,both under William Hague and Michael Howard, the Conservatives said they would keep to Labour's spending plans if they had won those elections.
So little would have been different once the crash came likely anyway.

Where they differred before 2008,was once David Cameron became leader in 2005, he and the Conservative opposition then felt that the Labour govt; was actually regulating the Banks 'too much'!!

I do criticise heavily Gordon Brown for selling off the gold reserves,they would have certainly offset some of the effects of the crash,he also made bad decisions as to pension funds too.

By the same token to be fair, the Conservative govts; of the 80s sold off the public utilities very cheaply too,gas, electricity and water.
It seesm to be a problem govts; have as to getting really good and the very best deals..

There would have been the same crash, the same massive recession,the same baling out of the Banks and subsequently some really enormous mess and task for the nex govt; after the financial crisis hit globally.
Whoever had been in,would have left chaos in 2010.

It may well have been under the Conservatives, more human cost as to massively high unemployment,rather than a financial mess but some really nasty situation would have been left no matter what govt; had been in power.
No way could I have seen the Conservatives letting the Banks go to the wall and the massive fears ensuing for savers funds and other customers accounts.

I think Liam Byrne's letter was a stupid thing to even write by anyone for any new govt; to see, however to have someone like Lib Dem. David Laws highlighting that at the time was equally a sick joke too.

Govts' get it wrong, I do think myself, with 11 unbroken years of growth and no hint of recession,despite their spending between 1997 to 2007,really Labour should have,and were in the position to, planning more for any bad times that may come.

That was a failure on their part but no way did I blame Labour for the crash itself,(I don't think any so called brilliant forward looking worldwide financial institutions even saw that banking crisis coming either), and I doubt much of any planning for bad times would have avoided the massive effects of the crash and recession that came from it.
It didn't help,I admit, that they didn't prepare for times like that 'possibly happening' however.
Pretty balanced summary I think

I was angry at the qt debate last week when Ed failed to acknowledge this misspending. In an ideal world we would have both parties modifying their proposals such that they don't over spend or underspend, but it seems that will never happen. Given that, while we have a massive deficit, I personally am more comfortable with an underspend as that will at least get us back to an equilibrium where continuous overspending won't.

If there was a genuine protest party that didn't have the sinister under currents that UKIP has, I think all those undecided and disillusioned potential voters would flock to it. At the moment there just isn't a real alternative and to me that is what is wanted at this time
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 08:37 PM #721
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

What misspending? Does the opinion of Mcpherson not trump that of the sun?
Maybe Labour should focus more on the misselling of current and past conservative govts instead of proactive forward thinking?
Old 03-05-2015, 09:47 PM #722
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Pretty balanced summary I think

I was angry at the qt debate last week when Ed failed to acknowledge this misspending. In an ideal world we would have both parties modifying their proposals such that they don't over spend or underspend, but it seems that will never happen. Given that, while we have a massive deficit, I personally am more comfortable with an underspend as that will at least get us back to an equilibrium where continuous overspending won't.

If there was a genuine protest party that didn't have the sinister under currents that UKIP has, I think all those undecided and disillusioned potential voters would flock to it. At the moment there just isn't a real alternative and to me that is what is wanted at this time

Thank you for that.

I also agree totally with the part of the post in bold.
Old 03-05-2015, 10:05 PM #723
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Yes, there is a reason that the SNP are expected to get 90% (or maybe even more) of Scotland's 59 seats, and this is a pretty huge part of it. People are completely disillusioned with the Con/Lab endless seesaw and are being offered a real alternative with a very different vision.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 11:20 PM #724
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Old 04-05-2015, 09:29 AM #725
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Yes, there is a reason that the SNP are expected to get 90% (or maybe even more) of Scotland's 59 seats, and this is a pretty huge part of it. People are completely disillusioned with the Con/Lab endless seesaw and are being offered a real alternative with a very different vision.
I agree with that and even in northern areas of England I have been to, many would like to see what happens with a result, as is being expected from the polls.

Somehow,it may be that Labour can still do better than the polling suggests in Scotland.
They will lose seats heavily and badly but in polling,it is generally assumed the rise of SNP support ad the fall of Labour support will be the same in all seats across the Nation.

However,many Labour MPs have likely strong personal votes,so I can see them scraping home in more seats than would be expected from the polling.
I am sure the SNP will stack up vote after vote in the seats they already have and I am certain they will romp home in Lib Dem held seats.

Although,I still cannot see the Scots voting out Charles Kennedy for the Lib Dems,he did after all vote against going into this coalition and must have a really strong personal vote up there.

All eyes will be on Scotland however,no doubt as to Thursdays results.
What feeling do you get Toy Soldier?

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
2015, discussion, election, general, tibb