Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 10-07-2011, 03:04 PM #51

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
BB14: Dexter

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by patsylimerick View Post
Which do you think, honestly, lead to more violent conflict? St Patrick's Day Parades or Orange Order 'walks'?
Roughly about the same depending where they are and who is there

so get your green tinted shades off.

"She was left for dead on the sands of Tatooine, as was I. But fate sometimes steps in to rescue the wretched."

Last edited by Novo; 10-07-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Novo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:13 PM #52
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

I just can't reconcile myself with any of it. It's this whole idea of a half baked national and religious identity becoming ones hobby, isin't it. Grown men dressed as toy soldiers marching down the street to declare they belong to group X and not group Y. Followed by an even bigger pack of cross eyed troglodytes who don't really practice the protestant faith at all - one of the cornerstones of the order - and have about as much of a grasp on British history as a chip bag.

I take the exact same view with our own barstool republican knuckleheads. I'm Republican not Loyalist. I'm Loyalist not Republican. This is who I am and I sort of have a vague idea of the creed and history of the march I'm following and I want that guy standing outside Curry's to realize that.

You're a grown man in a world full of wonderous and interesting things to do. Evolve, please.
Stu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:16 PM #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novo View Post

Why don't you try addressing the topic rather than the poster? Seeing as how St. Patrick's Day parade are held and enjoyed all over the world as a celebration, and Orange Order 'walks' are only held in the UK, your first sentence doesn't even make sense. How about some statistics or links demonstrating the cause and effect between St Patrick's Day parades and riots? What a complete load of nonsense
patsylimerick is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:17 PM #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I just can't reconcile myself with any of it. It's this whole idea of a half baked national and religious identity becoming ones hobby, isin't it. Grown men dressed as toy soldiers marching down the street to declare they belong to group X and not group Y. Followed by an even bigger pack of cross eyed troglodytes who don't really practice the protestant faith at all - one of the cornerstones of the order - and have about as much of a grasp on British history as a chip bag.

I take the exact same view with our own barstool republican knuckleheads. I'm Republican not Loyalist. I'm Loyalist not Republican. This is who I am and I sort of have a vague idea of the creed and history of the march I'm following and I want that guy standing outside Curry's to realize that.

You're a grown man in a world full of wonderous and interesting things to do. Evolve, please.

Excellent post.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:40 PM #55

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Why don't you try addressing the topic rather than the poster? Seeing as how St. Patrick's Day parade are held and enjoyed all over the world as a celebration, and Orange Order 'walks' are only held in the UK, your first sentence doesn't even make sense. How about some statistics or links demonstrating the cause and effect between St Patrick's Day parades and riots? What a complete load of nonsense
It makes plenty of sense.. You get trouble on both days of the year depending where it's held and who is there like i said.. it's not to hard for you to understand is it? People don't like or celebrate St Patrick's day celebrations where i am from and the Orange Walks aren't welcomed in parts of Britain and Ireland.. and Orange Walks have been held in Australia before now to add to your " Orange Walks are only held in the UK " statement and it's pretty much always going to be around St Patrick's day and the Twelfth. So just let people enjoy it.. a bit of trouble here and there is going to happen on both sides that's why the police are there.

Last edited by Novo; 10-07-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:50 PM #56
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

I can understand people wanting to retain their history and culture, but I'm sorry they can't find a way of doing it that isn't so disruptive and upsetting to the rest of the population. People have a right to march if they want to, but would they allow neo-Nazis to march through Muswell Hill? No, because it would be provocative. Would they let the BNP march down Brick Lane? No, because it would be provocative. I can't understand the mentality of people who want to cling on to something doggedly knowing that it will provoke confrontation.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 03:53 PM #57
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I can understand people wanting to retain their history and culture, but I'm sorry they can't find a way of doing it that isn't so disruptive and upsetting to the rest of the population. People have a right to march if they want to, but would they allow neo-Nazis to march through Muswell Hill? No, because it would be provocative. Would they let the BNP march down Brick Lane? No, because it would be provocative. I can't understand the mentality of people who want to cling on to something doggedly knowing that it will provoke confrontation.
Exactly.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 04:19 PM #58

Quote:
It makes plenty of sense.. You get trouble on both days of the year depending where it's held and who is there like i said.. it's not to hard for you to understand is it? People don't like or celebrate St Patrick's day celebrations where i am from and the Orange Walks aren't welcomed in parts of Britain and Ireland.. and Orange Walks have been held in Australia before now to add to your " Orange Walks are only held in the UK " statement and it's pretty much always going to be around St Patrick's day and the Twelfth. So just let people enjoy it.. a bit of trouble here and there is going to happen on both sides that's why the police are there.
It's simply not true. There are riots after Orange parades because the parades aim to taunt and provoke. They feature men and teenage boys banging drums in uniforms. St Patrick's Day parades, on the other hand, feature men women and children of all ages, with humorous, cultural floats, dancing and athletic groups, community organisations, participants from any enthnic, age or culture group who want to get involved. They are purposely INCLUSIVE. And kudos if there were a couple of Orange walks in Australia - there are, however, St Patrick's Day parades, as I said, all over the world. There is absolutely no logical comparison between the two.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:20 PM #59

Quote:
Well said, Livia; that's the heart of it, really.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:24 PM #60

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It's simply not true. There are riots after Orange parades because the parades aim to taunt and provoke. They feature men and teenage boys banging drums in uniforms. St Patrick's Day parades, on the other hand, feature men women and children of all ages, with humorous, cultural floats, dancing and athletic groups, community organisations, participants from any enthnic, age or culture group who want to get involved. They are purposely INCLUSIVE. And kudos if there were a couple of Orange walks in Australia - there are, however, St Patrick's Day parades, as I said, all over the world. There is absolutely no logical comparison between the two.
You are deluded then
Old 10-07-2011, 05:42 PM #61

Keep telling yourself that, Novo.

Meanwhile:

LONDON EYE GOES GREEN FOR ST PATRICK'S DAY

TABLE MOUNTAIN GOES GREEN OR ST PATRICK'S DAY

The Moulin Rouge became 'The Moulin Vert' last years; anyone remember any of these turning themselves orange?
Old 10-07-2011, 05:44 PM #62

Quote:
Which do you think, honestly, lead to more violent conflict? St Patrick's Day Parades or Orange Order 'walks'?
The vast vast majority of them pass off peacefully. The majority of them around the 12th or 13th end up going to a field and playing traditional music.
keithafc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:59 PM #63

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Keep telling yourself that, Novo.

Meanwhile:

LONDON EYE GOES GREEN FOR ST PATRICK'S DAY

TABLE MOUNTAIN GOES GREEN OR ST PATRICK'S DAY

The Moulin Rouge became 'The Moulin Vert' last years; anyone remember any of these turning themselves orange?
No but i remember the most successful football team ever Rangers having an Orange shirt that's good enough for me.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:00 PM #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithafc View Post
The vast vast majority of them pass off peacefully. The majority of them around the 12th or 13th end up going to a field and playing traditional music.
Listen, I wasn't the one who brought the absolutely laugh out loud comparison between Orange Parades and St Patrick's Day parades into the thread. I'm delighted to hear MOST of them pass off peacefully. Quite a significant number of them don't. The only problem at Paddy's Day parade are drunken idiots losing the run of themselves - which happens at any large public event. The discussion was about the 'intent' of an Orange parade; particularly when the route is targetted to cause upset.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:02 PM #65

Quote:
No but i remember the most successful football team ever Rangers having an Orange shirt that's good enough for me.
brilliant. Thanks for that Novo.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:04 PM #66

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
brilliant. Thanks for that Novo.
Thanks for what? Know your history... they have won more trophies then any other club.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:09 PM #67

Quote:
Thanks for what? Know your history... they have won more trophies then any other club.
First, it's not history. It's football. Second, are you counting Scottish titles there? You are, aren't you? *am seriously heading towards a pmsl here*
Old 10-07-2011, 06:13 PM #68

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
First, it's not history. It's football. Second, are you counting Scottish titles there? You are, aren't you? *am seriously heading towards a pmsl here*
Football has History as well you know just like near enough everything else in this world.. and yeah off course i am counting the Scottish titles.. as you may not know Scottish football use to be at a high standard even not so long ago in the 90's and 80's.

Oh and by the way #54.. it felt Amazing.
Old 10-07-2011, 06:14 PM #69

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

This doesn't really belong here anyway so if you want to talk about the Success of Rangers FC AKA the Simply the best go to " Talk Football "
Old 10-07-2011, 06:26 PM #70
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
All I will say is I agree completely with your comments.An exact and reasoned post as always.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:07 PM #71
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Well actually the OP never said it refers to Scottish Protestants i got the impression she was referring to Orange Walks in all parts of Britain

....... bit strange making a thread that refers only to Scottish Protestants and titling it " Orange Walks " when they actually happen in N.Ireland, Wales and England as well.
Quote:

Quote:
You are deluded then
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Football has History as well you know just like near enough everything else in this world.. and yeah off course i am counting the Scottish titles.. as you may not know Scottish football use to be at a high standard even not so long ago in the 90's and 80's.

Quote:
This doesn't really belong here anyway so if you want to talk about the Success of Rangers FC AKA the Simply the best go to " Talk Football "

Few pointers here Novo.

1. I live in Scotland - as you and most of the forum are aware of
2. I referred clearly to hearing Orange Walks/Bands - in Scotland
3. Clearly you have selective reading capabilites when it suits you
3. The only person on here throwing insults around.. is you
4. The person who began going on about Rangers / Orange etc was you - toally off topic yet you patronise Patsy for addressing your posts on the sujbect
5. The OP made it very clear that she is in Scotland. The OP made it very clear that Orange Walks take place in Scotland. The OP made it very clear she was referring to what she experiences in Scotland.

Next time you want some reasonable debate: try reading what is written - instead of throwing petty insults around - because you behaving in the manner you are: is doing nothing more than proving my very point for me.
Pyramid* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:11 PM #72

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid* View Post
Few pointers here Novo.

1. I live in Scotland - as you and most of the forum are aware of
2. I referred clearly to hearing Orange Walks/Bands - in Scotland
3. Clearly you have selective reading capabilites when it suits you
3. The only person on here throwing insults around.. is you
4. The person who began going on about Rangers / Orange etc was you - toally off topic yet you patronise Patsy for addressing your posts on the sujbect
5. The OP made it very clear that she is in Scotland. The OP made it very clear that Orange Walks take place in Scotland. The OP made it very clear she was referring to what she experiences in Scotland.

Next time you want some reasonable debate: try reading what is written - instead of throwing petty insults around - because you behaving in the manner you are: is doing nothing more than proving my very point for me.
Thank you for bolding all my great points i have made in this thread Pyramid
Old 10-07-2011, 07:13 PM #73

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

And i never knew you lived in Scotland... how am i suppose to know that it doesn't exactly say in your location that you are from Scotland and your username doesn't indicate you are ( Egypt if anything )
Old 10-07-2011, 07:15 PM #74
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
And i never knew you lived in Scotland... how am i suppose to know that it doesn't exactly say in your location that you are from Scotland and your username doesn't indicate you are ( Egypt if anything )
Easy..if you had actually READ the posts on the thread - it's more than obvious.
Pyramid* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:23 PM #75

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid* View Post
Easy..if you had actually READ the posts on the thread - it's more than obvious.
I couldn't be bothered reading all your posts after the first one about the Orangemen upsetting you with their big drums and loud noises must be hell for you

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
orange, walks