Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB14 Celebrity Big Brother 2014 (CBB14) was shown in August and September 2014, and was won by Gary Busey. Discuss the series and housemates here.

- - - - - - - - - -

Old 07-09-2014, 03:56 PM #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by booboomartin View Post
not at all. i have had depression myself, so feel able to voice an opinion on the subject, how about you?
Yes, I do have experience with it and therefore know that "valid reasons" doesn't come into it.

You don't need reasons or justifications to suffer mentally.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:58 PM #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withano View Post
I don't get it. She couldn't provide for her kids so she claimed benefits, now she can provide for her kids so she's not claiming benefits. What else would you want her to do? ****ing stupid reason not to like somebody.
No decent person is ever going to attack another simply because that other is on benefits. However, when it is apparent that someone is not only abusing the benefits system but is also on a national TV show where she has exposed herself as a foul-mouthed, vindictive, vicious, 2 faced, backstabbing, lying self-seeker, then that's a different matter. Add to the forgoing, the fact that she also stole £13,000 from the needy, then take into account that she organised master classes in duping the benefits system, and has the temerity to deny ever drinking champagne in the face of dozens of photos taken on a luxury holiday which show her swigging magnums of the stuff, and I think you may start to understand why she is so unpopular on here. Finally, her reason for claiming benefits was that she was suffering depression and unable to work. I have seen no sign of that depression in those dozens of holiday photos referred to, or in her tv appearances. A miraculous recovery worthy of Lourdes.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 03:59 PM #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules2 View Post
No Marsh tbh if I had something stolen from me I would be very depressed. I havent studied Dee at all, didnt even know who she was and tbh she hasnt impressed me one little bit. Dont know about her past though so I cannot comment. Her mama bit is a total act.
That's not what I was talking about.

The casual "depressed" that people use when sad and being diagnosed depressive by a doctor is a very different thing.

Yes, having money stolen could trigger depression just like any number of other life events could. But things like that are not the only way someone can find themselves in that position.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:03 PM #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
No decent person is ever going to attack another simply because that other is on benefits. However, when it is apparent that someone is not only abusing the benefits system but is also on a national TV show where she has exposed herself as a foul-mouthed, vindictive, vicious, 2 faced, backstabbing, lying self-seeker, then that's a different matter. Add to the forgoing, the fact that she also stole £13,000 from the needy, then take into account that she organised master classes in duping the benefits system, and has the temerity to deny ever drinking champagne in the face of dozens of photos taken on a luxury holiday which show her swigging magnums of the stuff, and I think you may start to understand why she is so unpopular on here. Finally, her reason for claiming benefits was that she was suffering depression and unable to work. I have seen no sign of that depression in those dozens of holiday photos referred to, or in her tv appearances. A miraculous recovery worthy of Lourdes.
hallelujah
booboomartin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:18 PM #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThriceShy View Post
Why did she stop working?
Because she got caught stealing
hijaxers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:19 PM #56

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Quote:
Originally Posted by hijaxers View Post
Because she got caught stealing
Difference being, Dee couldn't work, so what you said was just pointless really.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:20 PM #57
Keyser Suze

Keyser Suze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cushty View Post
Read my reply. I have actually underlined the words Don't want to work. You only see what you want to see and your boring now
Your posts make perfect sense Cushty, without any need to read stuff into them that isn't there. Welcome to TIBBs, I remember your postings from the other site

"Live for today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come" - Author unknown
Suze is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:21 PM #58

Quote:
I'm not "your dear" and please put your claws away. I do wonder how you would really feel if you were a pensioner who worked all their life and made sure you provided for your future only to see that the pension you earned was being taxed to pay for people who don't want to work and are quite happy to take, especially someone who was quite happy to steal from people who were vulnerable.
And how many of the people claiming benefits "don't want to work"? You seem very informed on the issue.

I don't see what relevance it has. Dee lost a job due to her criminal actions and then was written out of work sometime after when she was diagnosed with depression.

Last edited by Marsh.; 07-09-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:26 PM #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suze View Post
Your posts make perfect sense Cushty, without any need to read stuff into them that isn't there. Welcome to TIBBs, I remember your postings from the other site
Thank you for your welcome to TIBBS. Sometimes I find it hard to stay civil but I have learned to laugh at some posts.
cushty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 04:40 PM #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Yes, I do have experience with it and therefore know that "valid reasons" doesn't come into it.

You don't need reasons or justifications to suffer mentally.
i have never said that anyone did.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:44 PM #61

Quote:
And how many of the people claiming benefits "don't want to work"? You seem very informed on the issue.

I don't see what relevance it has. Dee lost a job due to her criminal actions and then was written out of work sometime after when she was diagnosed with depression.
When my husband passed away in 1997 I too suffered depression and found it hard to cope but I carried on working. When I retired I did voluntary work with Age Concern and found that keeping occupied stopped me from feeling sorry for myself. I did have a relative who didn't want to work and found many ways to avoid it and even bragged about it. I also read papers and listen to news regarding benefit cheats. I feel I can give an opinion without receiving stern replies. There are many people who deserve to receive benefits and I have no arguments with them.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:48 PM #62

Quote:
When my husband passed away in 1997 I too suffered depression and found it hard to cope but I carried on working. When I retired I did voluntary work with Age Concern and found that keeping occupied stopped me from feeling sorry for myself. I did have a relative who didn't want to work and found many ways to avoid it and even bragged about it. I also read papers and listen to news regarding benefit cheats. I feel I can give an opinion without receiving stern replies. There are many people who deserve to receive benefits and I have no arguments with them.
well said. don't worry, they do the same to me. some ill informed people will always feel that they have the right to the last word, Wrong
Old 07-09-2014, 04:55 PM #63

Quote:
Your relative isn't relevant to the discussion I'm afraid. Your relative isn't representative of all benefit claimants. You will find people who try and some who succeed in swindling all kinds of systems but they are a very small minority. Much smaller than some trashy media people would have you believe.

I am glad for you that you were able to work through your tough times and find things that made your situation better, that's excellent. But, again, what works for one does not work for another. Depression varies in severity and from person to person.

I will respond where I see fit to give my own opinion too. I have no issue with that.

Also, the fact you used the phrase "stopped me from feeling sorry for myself" speaks volumes. Actual clinical depression goes beyond feeling a bit down on yourself or suffering a bereavement or other tough time in your life. Depression is a very real mental illness that can bring down even the strongest of people and does not always require a bad life experience to trigger it.

Last edited by Marsh.; 07-09-2014 at 04:55 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:56 PM #64

Quote:
well said. don't worry, they do the same to me. some ill informed people will always feel that they have the right to the last word, Wrong
Grow up and stick to the topic of the discussion.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:02 PM #65

Don't forget that Dee was stealing the money to give to crack dealers.

She is a veritable robin hood. Robbing from poor vulnerable people to give it to even poorer smackheads.
ThriceShy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:38 PM #66

This is my last post on this thread. After reading all the excuses given for Dee, I still cannot see how she can say she has turned her life round by not receiving benefits now. If you think that receiving money for being in BB is earning it then think again. She is doing no different to what she does at home (free meals, rent free and smoking like a trooper). When BB finishes how long will it be before she is back on benefits? Watch this space.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:42 PM #67

Favourites (more):
BB16: Jack
CBB15: Katie Hopkins

Favourites (more):
BB16: Jack
CBB15: Katie Hopkins

Just an example. 13,000 lost their jobs in the docks in the NE about 15 years ago. Within two months there were an extra 10,000 on disability benefit for the region.

Call me cynical.

But it is still a great system for those in real need.

Last edited by abhorson; 07-09-2014 at 05:42 PM.
abhorson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:45 PM #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhorson View Post
Just an example. 13,000 lost their jobs in the docks in the NE about 15 years ago. Within two months there were an extra 10,000 on disability benefit for the region.

Call me cynical.

But it is still a great system for those in real need.
I know I said previously that it would be my last post, but I just needed to state that I totally agree with you
Old 07-09-2014, 05:52 PM #69

It's useless to compare people's reactions to their depression because there are several kinds of depression--major depression, atypical depression, dysthmia, psychotic depression, situational, and others. None of us knows what kind of depression Dee might have had, and we have to bear in mind that many people do recover, so her behaviour on Benefits Street doesn't indicate what she might have had, or not had, either.

Situational depression is triggered by events such as loss of a loved on, while major depression is a beast that descends for no particular reason at all.

I don't like Dee even a little bit, but only she knows how debilitating her depression was. I don't like her behaviour in the house and the way she treats people. For me, that's enough reason to dislike her, whatever the reasons for her receiving benefits.
puzzled is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 05:53 PM #70

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BB16: Nick

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BB16: Nick

Dee I find to be a tricky one. Just judging from her personality, to me she looks like your bog standard scrounger, she knows the benefits system inside out and knows what you can do to be able to get benefits in the long run. Depression is actually a good way to get past being pushed for a job when on benefits. As long as you go to a crap doctor they can probably diagnose you with depression in a flash, as long as you're good at acting (I know a fair few people on benefits who have done this in the short term with 'mild depression').

On the other hand, maybe Dee really was depressed, did really need benefits and really is trying to turn her life around.

Either way no one in this thread can say they're right. Unless you know Dee personally and don't go off what a benefits documentary or what local newspaper sites say, you're not going to have a clue whether Dee is a scrounger, or a woman who has had a bad past and wants to change it.

Last edited by Jamesy; 07-09-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Jamesy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 06:24 PM #71

Quote:
This is my last post on this thread. After reading all the excuses given for Dee, I still cannot see how she can say she has turned her life round by not receiving benefits now. If you think that receiving money for being in BB is earning it then think again. She is doing no different to what she does at home (free meals, rent free and smoking like a trooper). When BB finishes how long will it be before she is back on benefits? Watch this space.
She finished being on benefits BEFORE Big Brother.

They're all receiving a fee for appearing on a television show. That's how TV works.

If in the future she struggles to find work when her 5 minutes of fame inevitably ends then she's entitled to it.

Last edited by Marsh.; 07-09-2014 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:55 PM #72

Quote:
Grow up and stick to the topic of the discussion.
I was, and please don't be insulting, what I said was true, some people always want the last word. if you see yourself as that person, so be it
Old 08-09-2014, 12:19 AM #73

Quote:
I was, and please don't be insulting, what I said was true, some people always want the last word. if you see yourself as that person, so be it
I'm being insulting? Ok chuck.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:36 AM #74

Quote:
I'm being insulting? Ok chuck.
who's chuck?
Old 08-09-2014, 09:24 AM #75

Thumbs up

Quote:
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
dee, kelly, problem