Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 23-11-2016, 09:41 AM #51
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
No I don't believe it all contributes equally, there is usually a catalyst, take the migrant fire post, it took to post 2 or 3 for the word bigot to be used, no need for it at all, people aren't going to put up and shut up when called names unnecessarily in the course of a discussion, never mind before the discussion has started
..I was just typing out something/my thoughts but then I thought no because that would also be contributing further as well, so I'm just going to leave it with your perspective Cherie...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 09:45 AM #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
It really isn't
Well can I ask what is then Niamh, in your opinion?

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 09:47 AM #53
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..I was just typing out something/my thoughts but then I thought no because that would also be contributing further as well, so I'm just going to leave it with your perspective Cherie...
You are entitled to your thoughts Ammi of course, just as I am to mine, as long as we have a civil discussion which we always do there are no issues IMO, have a great day!
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 09:54 AM #54
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
Well can I ask what is then Niamh, in your opinion?
In my opinion, most of the SDs section is incapable of debating a topic without insulting other posters, ganging up on people with their buddies before they even do anything wrong yet they refuse to recognise the fact that they themselves and their friends do exactly the same sort of things. I think all sides are guilty (not all posters but certainly people from eachside because all of a sudden there does seem to be an Us against them sort of a scenario playing out) And I think that nobody is willing to take a look at themselves and say, I may be contributing to this, they will just happily blame "the otherside" so until people can try to make some changes themselves then i can't see how things are ever going to change because at the end of the day we can only change our own behaviour not anyone elses.

It's a shame but SDs is not a nice place to be right now and it's a complete nightmare to try to moderate

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 09:58 AM #55
User banned

User banned

Quote:
It really isn't
Debate/discussion on serious issues will always involve disagreement. If some are going to throw a tantrum when they feel the debate is not going the way they want it to go and want the debate shutdown - what is the point of any debate.

Debate is democratic. Let's not shut down democratic discussion.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 10:03 AM #56

Quote:
In my opinion, most of the SDs section is incapable of debating a topic without insulting other posters, ganging up on people with their buddies before they even do anything wrong yet they refuse to recognise the fact that they themselves and their friends do exactly the same sort of things. I think all sides are guilty (not all posters but certainly people from eachside because all of a sudden there does seem to be an Us against them sort of a scenario playing out) And I think that nobody is willing to take a look at themselves and say, I may be contributing to this, they will just happily blame "the otherside" so until people can try to make some changes themselves then i can't see how things are ever going to change because at the end of the day we can only change our own behaviour not anyone elses.

It's a shame but SDs is not a nice place to be right now and it's a complete nightmare to try to moderate
Thank you for responding Niamh.

I agree with the overall sentiment of your post but I have my own opinion of just who are the main culprits, but although I am entitled to that opinion, I cannot publish it because of the Forum rules (and I would not anyway) but you can be assured that if I did, my opinion would split the forum in half at least.

And that is the nature of the beast - disagreeing with OPINION on a Debate Forum, but I still maintain, that it is when FACTS are denied and dismissed out of hand because those facts completely disprove an opinion and there is NO argument to them, that name calling begins and trouble starts.

Last edited by kirklancaster; 23-11-2016 at 10:05 AM.
Old 23-11-2016, 10:05 AM #57
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:

.....yeah I pretty much agree in that there is so little responsibility taken for the self-participation in these things and how they often progress the way they do.../we can never control what other people do or say...all we can do is to look at ourselves and our own part and 'who said what first' becomes irrelevant and will only ever result in the same old, same old and the same old spoiling of any debate or discussion...
Old 23-11-2016, 10:10 AM #58
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Thank you for responding Niamh.

I agree with the overall sentiment of your post but I have my own opinion of just who are the main culprits, but although I am entitled to that opinion, I cannot publish it because of the Forum rules (and I would not anyway) but you can be assured that if I did, my opinion would split the forum in half at least.

And that is the nature of the beast - disagreeing with OPINION on a Debate Forum, but I still maintain, that it is when FACTS are denied and dismissed out of hand because those facts completely disprove an opinion and there is NO argument to them, that name calling begins and trouble starts.
No worries Kirk.

Look I'm sure you do and I'm sure I can probably guess who, in your opinion are the main culprits, I could also guess that all these culprits are on the "otherside"

My only advice which will no doubt be ignored is to ignore posts that you think have crossed the line from debating the topic to insulting a poster and report it, there needs to be atleast two people involved to have an argument

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 23-11-2016, 10:12 AM #59

Quote:
.....yeah I pretty much agree in that there is so little responsibility taken for the self-participation in these things and how they often progress the way they do.../we can never control what other people do or say...all we can do is to look at ourselves and our own part and 'who said what first' becomes irrelevant and will only ever result in the same old, same old and the same old spoiling of any debate or discussion...
So the answer is:

a) Do not post any facts which disprove - often irrational, erroneous, and BIGOTED views.

b) Do not submit any posts which COUNTER certain members views - no matter how civilly such counter responses may be?

c) Let us all agree with the prevailing Liberal Left opinions on here - no matter how misguided, banal and ill informed they may be.

In short then Ammi - let all of us who have dissenting voices STOP posting on Serious Debates and leave all those who are like-minded upon here to it?

Old 23-11-2016, 10:13 AM #60
-

-

Quote:

IMO the major problem (and the one that leads to all of what you're saying here) is that there are very few people here who actually want any sort of academic discussion; i.e. a back and forth of "maybes" to lead to some sort of conclusion. Everybody starts with their conclusions already set in concrete, a whole bundle of suppositions, prejudices, and confirmation biases (confirmation bias makes up something like 75% of new thread topics in the first place; this one being a stellar example.)

These things are posted repeatedly simply for the "fun" of bashing the bricks together until one breaks or they both crumble.

In short: There are no debates nor discussions. And yes it is quite depressing, and boring.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 10:14 AM #61

Quote:
No worries Kirk.

Look I'm sure you do and I'm sure I can probably guess who, in your opinion are the main culprits, I could also guess that all these culprits are on the "otherside"

My only advice which will no doubt be ignored is to ignore posts that you think have crossed the line from debating the topic to insulting a poster and report it, there needs to be at least two people involved to have an argument
Thank you Niamh. You ARE right of course.

I am not bum-licking, but I have always found you to be fair and friendly, so I REALLY do respect your opinion.

Old 23-11-2016, 10:17 AM #62
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
So the answer is:

a) Do not post any facts which disprove - often irrational, erroneous, and BIGOTED views.

b) Do not submit any posts which COUNTER certain members views - no matter how civilly such counter responses may be?

c) Let us all agree with the prevailing Liberal Left opinions on here - no matter how misguided, banal and ill informed they may be.

In short then Ammi - let all of us who have dissenting voices STOP posting on Serious Debates and leave all those who are like-minded upon here to it?

..now then Kirk, my post didn't say anything you have said, that is your own interpretation and your own responsibility for that interpretation so that's absolutely fine also...it does go a little way though to show the vein of posts/the vein of replies etc in some compared to others of a personal agenda because basically agreeing with what Niamh said, I have a very different vein of response ...interesting...
Old 23-11-2016, 10:20 AM #63
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
IMO the major problem (and the one that leads to all of what you're saying here) is that there are very few people here who actually want any sort of academic discussion; i.e. a back and forth of "maybes" to lead to some sort of conclusion. Everybody starts with their conclusions already set in concrete, a whole bundle of suppositions, prejudices, and confirmation biases (confirmation bias makes up something like 75% of new thread topics in the first place; this one being a stellar example.)

These things are posted repeatedly simply for the "fun" of bashing the bricks together until one breaks or they both crumble.

In short: There are no debates nor discussions. And yes it is quite depressing, and boring.
..I can recall back in the day..../how many discussions I found to actually make me think and readdress how I'd previously felt about something with my narrow personal experience..but yeah, ears as well as voices is the only communication that makes for any type of discussion which we can all benefit from and find interesting...
Old 23-11-2016, 10:21 AM #64
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:

There is a serious lack of "middleground" I think, it's either 100% one way or 100% the other

Quote:
Thank you Niamh. You ARE right of course.

I am not bum-licking, but I have always found you to be fair and friendly, so I REALLY do respect your opinion.
Thanks Kirk. Look SDs has always gone through periods like this, i guess it's inevitable when peoples personalities clash and we get close to some people and very eh.....unclose to others The current Political climate around the world is very divisive at the moment too and it seems to be if you're not on my side you're against me and all I stand for sort of thing? Me personally i feel like I'm somewhere in the middle with it all

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 23-11-2016, 10:24 AM #65
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
..I can recall back in the day..../how many discussions I found to actually make me think and readdress how I'd previously felt about something with my narrow personal experience..but yeah, ears as well as voices is the only communication that makes for any type of discussion which we can all benefit from and find interesting...
Definitely, people should always be open to having their minds changed when they get into a debate or discussion. I always remember something Claudia said one time, that she changes her mind too easily in SDs and I was saying to her, that's a really good quality though and rare enough, it means you are really listening to people openly.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 23-11-2016, 10:24 AM #66
User banned

User banned

Personally I am finding some comments/discussion at the moment rather patronising. I feel there should be room for both in-depth discussion and less in-depth discussion on subjects that interest many people. Almost sounds a little elitist. As long as people are not being over-the-top with their 'insults' I don't see any significant problems.
Brillopad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 10:29 AM #67

Quote:

If a currently valid topic is posted but there is NO ensuing Debate or Discussion - then THAT is the fault of the members and NOT the topic subject posted.

But THAT is NOT how this is thread has played out and it is NO 'Stellar Example'.

There have been 33 posts ensuing from this Topic being posted, a lot of them intelligent and serious, and some light relief as well, BEFORE the "I'm Quitting" post by Kizzy - since which there have been a further 32 posts - how is that indicative of 'No Debate' or 'Discussion'?

There are PLENTY of members who DO want 'Academic Discussion' - THAT is beyond question.

Old 23-11-2016, 10:36 AM #68
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Definitely, people should always be open to having their minds changed when they get into a debate or discussion. I always remember something Claudia said one time, that she changes her mind too easily in SDs and I was saying to her, that's a really good quality though and rare enough, it means you are really listening to people openly.
..yeah, it's always been the same for me as well...I sometimes like to think about my stance a bit first because it might have been something that I had given very little thought to before and felt particular passion for but it's listening to differing and opposing opinions that help with your own thoughts as well and considering all sides etc...those for me are the types of conversations/discussions/debates etc I would have in real life also...the ones where you're exhausted by them but in a great way.../having stimulated your thoughts and head.....
Old 23-11-2016, 10:59 AM #69
-

-

Quote:
If a currently valid topic is posted but there is NO ensuing Debate or Discussion - then THAT is the fault of the members and NOT the topic subject posted.

But THAT is NOT how this is thread has played out and it is NO 'Stellar Example'.

There have been 33 posts ensuing from this Topic being posted, a lot of them intelligent and serious, and some light relief as well, BEFORE the "I'm Quitting" post by Kizzy - since which there have been a further 32 posts - how is that indicative of 'No Debate' or 'Discussion'?

There are PLENTY of members who DO want 'Academic Discussion' - THAT is beyond question.
The title is misleading and deliberately inflammatory and (from the content of the first post) it's obvious that the thread was posted because you read it and it confirmed your already-held beliefs about the situation... that is confirmation bias. The accuracy of the reporting doesn't actually matter as much as the reason for posting it. That's what I mean by the majority of the threads being posted in that mode; "I've been telling you this for ages and here is some more evidence of what I was already saying!". There are a tonne of these threads. As for the discussion that follows? Nothing new to see. Same people reiterating the same opinions they've had on every other thread with a vaguely similar topic (there are dozens). Not one vague attempt at altering or expanding opinions based on the discussion. There is no debate.

Or rather, the threads operate more like political Trump vs Clinton, Labour vs Tory, "debates" rather than academic debates - i.e. people seem to believe that the point of the debate is simply to present their own argument, which they believe 100% and unshakably, in such a way that "the audience" will be swayed by their immense proof and skillful oratory. Except that there is no audience, and as such, it's a complete waste of time. Anyone who is on here "debating" who feels that they have no capacity for altering their opinion in any way is wasting their time, and that currently - quite simply - applies to the majority of threads.

It DOES make me sad because I honestly don't think it has always been so static and stale. Even to use us an example; in our early days there were CONSTANT arguments that would stem from simply misunderstanding each other completely, something that I don't think has happened for a long time. There used to be plenty of compromise and thoughtfulness alongside the bickering name-calling... those things are not the problem. It's how self-assured everyone has become, and how quickly threads descend into back-patting and circlejerking.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 11:16 AM #70
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
The title is misleading and deliberately inflammatory and (from the content of the first post) it's obvious that the thread was posted because you read it and it confirmed your already-held beliefs about the situation... that is confirmation bias. The accuracy of the reporting doesn't actually matter as much as the reason for posting it. That's what I mean by the majority of the threads being posted in that mode; "I've been telling you this for ages and here is some more evidence of what I was already saying!". There are a tonne of these threads. As for the discussion that follows? Nothing new to see. Same people reiterating the same opinions they've had on every other thread with a vaguely similar topic (there are dozens). Not one vague attempt at altering or expanding opinions based on the discussion. There is no debate.

Or rather, the threads operate more like political Trump vs Clinton, Labour vs Tory, "debates" rather than academic debates - i.e. people seem to believe that the point of the debate is simply to present their own argument, which they believe 100% and unshakably, in such a way that "the audience" will be swayed by their immense proof and skillful oratory. Except that there is no audience, and as such, it's a complete waste of time. Anyone who is on here "debating" who feels that they have no capacity for altering their opinion in any way is wasting their time, and that currently - quite simply - applies to the majority of threads.

It DOES make me sad because I honestly don't think it has always been so static and stale. Even to use us an example; in our early days there were CONSTANT arguments that would stem from simply misunderstanding each other completely, something that I don't think has happened for a long time. There used to be plenty of compromise and thoughtfulness alongside the bickering name-calling... those things are not the problem. It's how self-assured everyone has become, and how quickly threads descend into back-patting and circlejerking.
Back patting and circle jerking not seen too much on this thread
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 01:55 PM #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Maybe we should focus on the idiots who carried out the arson attack in return for asylum : and condemn them rather than rushing to gloss over it?
Well said Cherie. By the way, why are men from Algeria and Morocco there? I thought those centres were only from people escaping from war torn regions?
jennyjuniper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 02:01 PM #72

If the dumb b...... who set fire to the place found out that gummibears are made from pig skins, who knows what they'll do.
Old 23-11-2016, 02:02 PM #73

If those dumbasses who set fire to the place knew that gummibears are made from pig skins, who knows what they would do?
Old 23-11-2016, 02:14 PM #74

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Quote:

This is IT in a nutshell, IMO.
I used to love reading in here although I just don't have the inclination to post very often so maybe my opinion won't be welcome, but.... now it's often 'here's another incident that proves my opinion is the correct one'. Is there really any point wanting a 'debate' about 2 bad eggs in an immigrant camp carrying out some criminal activity? All those similar stories have been 'debated' with nothing new being said...and anyone could search the news and find stories of bad eggs carrying out criminal activity who are not immigrants in immigrant camps....lets have all those stories....

Is it really surprising or 'debate worthy' anyway when people thrown together in a camp, far from home, with growing tensions and uncertainty a way of life for them commit more crime than is normal than they would if living in a settled and familiar society?

Last edited by jet; 23-11-2016 at 02:18 PM.
jet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 02:20 PM #75
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
This is IT in a nutshell, IMO.
I used to love reading in here although I just don't have the inclination to post very often so maybe my opinion won't be welcome, but.... now it's often 'here's another incident that proves my opinion is the correct one'. Is there really any point wanting a 'debate' about 2 bad eggs in an immigrant camp carrying out some criminal activity? All those similar stories have been 'debated' with nothing new being said...and anyone could search the news and find stories of bad eggs carrying out criminal activity who are not immigrants in immigrant camps....lets have all those stories....

Is it really surprising or newsworthy anyway when people thrown together in a camp, far from home, with growing tensions and uncertainty a way of life for them commit more crime than is normal than they would if living in a settled and familiar society?
I hope you decide to start posting more again Jet, i think we all need to try and make an effort to start other threads in Serious debates besides these type of ones, they always end up with same arguments going round in circles

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
asylum, burn, centre‘there’s, gummibears’, migrants, nutella