Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Big Brother 2023 - ITV2 Big Brother UK (BB20) started October 8th 2023 on ITV2 and ITVX.

Old 05-11-2023, 09:02 AM #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
Do Mixed race communities still face a lot of prejudice?

I knew it was bad back in my School days, but that was nearly a decade ago now, which makes me feel pretty old.
I don’t know. It’s hard to say on anything other than an individual basis. But they ain’t getting it as bad as fully black people have been known to. No way.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude, don’t go hanging on to negativity and don’t go underselling yourself. That is all.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 09:51 AM #77

Favourites (more):
BBUSA20: Samantha
BB18: Ellie

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
Less-so racist and more entitled, Mock. I don’t really believe in reverse-racism (discrimination/prejudice but not true societal racism)
Nor do I. 'Reverse racism' is a ridiculous term.

It's just racism.

I don't subscribe to the redefining of the term 'racism' to having to include the 'systemic' element, which was only done in order only benefit and give power to specific groups and exclude others.
Old 05-11-2023, 09:54 AM #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesavius View Post
Nor do I. 'Reverse racism' is a ridiculous term.

It's just racism.

I don't subscribe to the redefining of the term 'racism' to having to include the 'systemic' element, which was only done in order only benefit and give power to specific groups and exclude others.
Your words, not mine. That’s not what I’m saying.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude, don’t go hanging on to negativity and don’t go underselling yourself. That is all.
Old 05-11-2023, 09:58 AM #79

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Your words, not mine. That’s not what I’m saying.
Absolutely. It's what I am saying.
Old 05-11-2023, 10:01 AM #80
Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

Why is this topic the longest running thread? I thought it died 2 pages ago? Let me read...
Old 05-11-2023, 10:03 AM #81

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithinkiloveyoutoo View Post
Why is this topic the longest running thread? I thought it died 2 pages ago? Let me read...
Yeah, it was necroed
Old 05-11-2023, 10:04 AM #82

Quote:
People will always have things to say about race-related issues (and I’m not talking about silly bait). Our experiences shape how we think about these things and some people will be closer to a certain mark than others but there’s an open dialogue to be had about Dylan and just the way he is generally. You could go on all day.

Old 05-11-2023, 10:17 AM #83
Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprimint View Post
Such a mess, the fact black people expect other black people to stick together is racist in itself and colour/race should NEVER be a part of any gameshow. It's happened this year on The Challenge USA, BBUSA and Survivor USA to an extent. Trish won the argument with her response.
Actually it's a bit more complex than just "let's stick together because we're black". This comes from the lived experiences that as black people majority of the time we're picked last when it matters. Individually, people may find black people entertaining and like them but it's rare to see black people triumph all the way to the end. This translates to every area; at work, abroad- like in some places of the world when you see another black personality you breathe a sigh of relief and nod hahah or if you're a terrible person you see them as competition. But anyway my point is it's a bit more deeply rooted than just "we have the same skin colour let's stick together" Deep rooted FOMO "if we're not rooting for eachother who will be"

Not necessarily defending Dylan here, I didn't like him and I think he handled the whole thing terribly but I am just saying I understand.

A look back at bb winners.

Last edited by Ithinkiloveyoutoo; 05-11-2023 at 10:21 AM.
Ithinkiloveyoutoo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 10:20 AM #84
Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

Quote:
Originally Posted by vesavius View Post
Yeah, it was necroed
Old 05-11-2023, 10:20 AM #85
Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

Shhiiiieet 2 yrs l8ta

Quote:
People will always have things to say about race-related issues (and I’m not talking about silly bait). Our experiences shape how we think about these things and some people will be closer to a certain mark than others but there’s an open dialogue to be had about Dylan and just the way he is generally. You could go on all day.
Fair enough
Old 05-11-2023, 08:36 PM #86
MVGGA

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

MVGGA

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I don’t know. It’s hard to say on anything other than an individual basis. But they ain’t getting it as bad as fully black people have been known to. No way.
Oh historically especially fully black people have had a really rough ride, along with the Jewish community imo.
Old 05-11-2023, 08:43 PM #87
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy

Wait Dylan is black? I thought he was just a unsophisticated embarrassing old white man
UserSince2005 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 08:49 PM #88
MVGGA

Favourites (more):

MVGGA

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Actually it's a bit more complex than just "let's stick together because we're black". This comes from the lived experiences that as black people majority of the time we're picked last when it matters. Individually, people may find black people entertaining and like them but it's rare to see black people triumph all the way to the end. This translates to every area; at work, abroad- like in some places of the world when you see another black personality you breathe a sigh of relief and nod hahah or if you're a terrible person you see them as competition. But anyway my point is it's a bit more deeply rooted than just "we have the same skin colour let's stick together" Deep rooted FOMO "if we're not rooting for eachother who will be"

Not necessarily defending Dylan here, I didn't like him and I think he handled the whole thing terribly but I am just saying I understand.

A look back at bb winners.

Tbf to BB on the winners front.

The UK has a 3% Black population as a whole, so the likelihood then from that 3% to have someone not just audition for Big Brother, but to then be so popular with the public that they win the whole thing is very low, I mean you could argue that they could've had slightly more winners (especially during BB6) with how iconic some of the black contestants were in that year, and Charley Uchea being the star of BB8 (which ironically was still won by a black person anyway) but it's unreasonable to expect black contestants to be getting a similar win ratio to white winners when white people outnumber black people 10x over in the country's overall population.

I mean tbf Asians have only had one BB winner if you include CBB, and they are the second biggest population in the UK with 7%, which admittedly is a poor showing for them that black people are competing at the same level despite not even half of the population numbers in the UK compared to the Asian demographic.
Old 06-11-2023, 04:44 AM #89

Quote:
Oh historically especially fully black people have had a really rough ride, along with the Jewish community imo.
Yeah, there’s no doubt about that. None whatsoever.

There’s no point getting into politics here but there’s also no point denying how bad and ugly anti-black racism and anti-Semitism are inherently. Sometimes it’s just a case of cultural ignorance which isn’t maliciously intended, like when (I’m just throwing out random examples) black people KMT/kiss their teeth or store jollof rice they cooked in ice-cream tubs like Nigerian mums stereotypically do and some of the white people around them not only just don’t get it or the sub-cultural context but go around telling people they’re mega-weird and tapped in the head for just acting like a lot of normal black Brits with strong inherited sub-cultural niches and habits. Sometimes likewise it’s just a case of pretending like Hitler was actually a decent guy and running off with a few anti-Semitic jokes off the back of that (it’s alright when it happens on Family Guy because they take the piss out of literally everyone and everything) but however it’s meant stuff like that can do serious damage to your mental health and the way affected people then navigate around a certain type of white space, creating more barriers but based on understandable negative experiences with people who just don’t vibe with you and are very keen to point that out.

When people’s cultural habits and positive generational customs (it doesn’t matter how assimilated they are into just regular mainstream British culture or where they were born because cultural quirks and attitudes do tend to rub off to at least a certain extent, and that’s actually needed for preservation) are mocked and pathologised off the bat, you’re not really going to feel comfortable and over time you might well start to become more cynical, bitter and angry about the way you view white people and/or non-Jews if you’ve been affected by all that crap one-too-many times. Or maybe it only happened to you the once but the extent of the raggedy-ness was so bad that you ain’t going to let it go. So modern racial ignorance (if not outright racism) isn’t just about pointing out non-existent micro-aggressions (because a lot of black people do truly see white people and the way they interact with them in certain spaces as more racist than they are, and it’s a shame) and trying to make everyone an ally for anti brutality from cops in the States based on George Floyd’s experience (although that’s another thing in itself). It’s not about waiting to be called the n-word or a monkey for having plantain and Maggi cubes in your cupboard either. Sometimes it’s a level of gaslighting and disrespect for certain unspoken sub-cultural boundaries that can make a lot of black people give up on wanting or expecting to be accommodated by white people altogether (except quality entertainment/TV that doesn’t have strong racial undertones either way), which like I kind of implied before (or even said directly and outright) adds to that clannish only-stick-with-your-own-kind mentality.

But as you said all this is with more fully black people. Mixed race people are literally neither here nor there when it comes to things like this. They get a little bit of it and historically there’s been a lot of vile stuff written about interracial marriages/inter-breeding (wasn’t even legal at one point) but nothing on the magnitude of anti-black racism or anti-Semitism. Unless they’re very dark-skinned mixed race (skin tone can vary with 50-50s from very light to very dark) and look properly black they ain’t getting treated as inherently badly as black-black people have been. Unless they’re Jewish or Muslim, they’re not really getting any ethno-religious persecution either. Black mandem/gyal-dem are more likely to accept a mixed race person as one of their own than white people (some people actually still go by the one-drop rule, which is kinda racist in itself) but it shouldn’t have to come to that anyway. All you share in common are certain experiences, cultural convergence and upbringing similarities. Everyone’s still their own person regardless of colour or creed.

Last edited by Redway; 06-11-2023 at 05:12 AM.
Old 06-11-2023, 02:31 PM #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserSince2005 View Post
Wait Dylan is black? I thought he was just a unsophisticated embarrassing old white man
There’s just a certain tragic unfunny-ness about you.

Old 06-11-2023, 04:50 PM #91
Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace
BB2023: Yinrun

Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:

Quote:

I mean tbf Asians have only had one BB winner if you include CBB, and they are the second biggest population in the UK with 7%, which admittedly is a poor showing for them that black people are competing at the same level despite not even half of the population numbers in the UK compared to the Asian demographic.
Who was that?

It's never too late to be who you once could have been...

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN

Anyway there's an explanation and I don't really appreciate your tone. It's very aggressive so I'm going to close this, sorry for killing the internet mate

Benjamin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2023, 04:55 PM #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
Who was that?
He’ll be talking about Shilpa Sherry.

And to be fair Mock that’s just numbers and people are more than just statistics to make up and fill the token-count. It doesn’t work like that. If it just so happens that black people are more likely to apply for Big Brother than Asians/British Asians (and Asia’s a massive continent full of different nations, not a monolithic conglomerate) and it reflects in the amount of black vs. Asian housemates, then it just so happens. I don’t think it reflects poorly on anyone at all.

Last edited by Redway; 07-11-2023 at 01:57 AM.
Old 06-11-2023, 05:09 PM #93
Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:

Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:

Ahhh of course, Shilpa.

It's never too late to be who you once could have been...

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN

Anyway there's an explanation and I don't really appreciate your tone. It's very aggressive so I'm going to close this, sorry for killing the internet mate

Last edited by Benjamin; 06-11-2023 at 05:09 PM.
Benjamin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
black, crime