Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 16-11-2016, 06:54 PM #101
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
And where, pray tell, did I call anyone on hear a bigot just for supporting Trump? Go on, I'll wait.

Are you saying that there are no bigots who support Trump? Do you not believe the KKK to be bigots? The Tea Party? various extreme right wing groups that pledged their support to him?

There are bigots that support Trump, Fact. He came to political prominence because of his stance on Immigrants and muslims, Fact. To act like racists and bigots don't form a sizable part of his target audience is denying reality.

He didn't become president because of his flawed economic policies....
A large number of people voted for Trump because of concerns over immigration, he won because of that, fact. Given the numbers involved, and Brexit, it is clearly a massive concern for a Hugh number of ordinary people, not just far right extremists.

Stop trying to suggest that only 'racists' object to such large-scale immigration. These concerns won't just go away because some people attempt to belittle such concerns and name-calling.

Last edited by Brillopad; 16-11-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Old 16-11-2016, 07:17 PM #102
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brillopad View Post
A large number of people voted for Trump because of concerns over immigration, he won because of that, fact. Given the numbers involved, and Brexit, it is clearly a massive concern for a Hugh number of ordinary people, not just far right extremists.

Stop trying to suggest that only 'racists' object to such large-scale immigration. These concerns won't just go away because some people attempt to belittle such concerns and name-calling.
That line might work if his immigration comments didn't suggest building a wall and referring to Mexicans as a whole as rapists. Being concerned about Immigration does not make you a bigot but you cannot deny that his comments and the accounts from his rallies (some admittedly were stirred up by Hillary supporters but others weren't) tell a story that a sizable part (read, not all) of his fanbase most likely hold bigoted views.

Most voters are uninformed, they'll make their decisions based on the soundbites and the headlines. That goes for most people on both sides of any vote. Brexit had so much support because the Brexit campaign lied about £350 million being freed up by leaving EU and that leaving would curb immigration which it wouldn't. The actual pros and cons of any election rarely come into it which is likely why Trump won despite the fact that his policies are flawed. People bought into the soundbites rather than the reality.
Old 16-11-2016, 07:34 PM #103

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

I'm bored of the election and Hillary and Trump now.Hence why my side Splittingly funny sig has gone.
Old 16-11-2016, 07:36 PM #104

hillary was a very good politican in the 80s and 90s, but in the later years she gave into the temptation of money and power, but many hillary supporters won't admit it, that she is a shadow of what she was 20 years ago, her doctors in 2012 told her not to run for president because if she was in the white house, she would not see the second year of term, and many in the party said that they did not want her to run for president this time, and they where thrown over the side, hillary's biggest weakness is that she does not listen to people.
Old 16-11-2016, 08:12 PM #105
User banned

User banned

Quote:
That line might work if his immigration comments didn't suggest building a wall and referring to Mexicans as a whole as rapists. Being concerned about Immigration does not make you a bigot but you cannot deny that his comments and the accounts from his rallies (some admittedly were stirred up by Hillary supporters but others weren't) tell a story that a sizable part (read, not all) of his fanbase most likely hold bigoted views.

Most voters are uninformed, they'll make their decisions based on the soundbites and the headlines. That goes for most people on both sides of any vote. Brexit had so much support because the Brexit campaign lied about £350 million being freed up by leaving EU and that leaving would curb immigration which it wouldn't. The actual pros and cons of any election rarely come into it which is likely why Trump won despite the fact that his policies are flawed. People bought into the soundbites rather than the reality.

That is beyond patronising. I completely disagree that most voters are uninformed and gullible. People are generally well educated and interested in the politics of their own country because, despite your implications, they have enough sense to know how such policies can influence their lives.

Both sides lied, not least Cameron and Osborne with project fear. I have no doubt that because of Brexit we will retain a tighter control of our borders in the future, to ignore the voters would be political suicide for some and would have enormous negative consequences for the democratic voting system in this country.

You clearly seem to think you know better than most people in this country, but somehow I seriously doubt that.
Old 16-11-2016, 08:44 PM #106
Banned

Banned

Quote:
That is beyond patronising. I completely disagree that most voters are uninformed and gullible. People are generally well educated and interested in the politics of their own country because, despite your implications, they have enough sense to know how such policies can influence their lives.

Both sides lied, not least Cameron and Osborne with project fear. I have no doubt that because of Brexit we will retain a tighter control of our borders in the future, to ignore the voters would be political suicide for some and would have enormous negative consequences for the democratic voting system in this country.

You clearly seem to think you know better than most people in this country, but somehow I seriously doubt that.
That is beyond naive.

I bet if you were to ask most of the people who voted Trump, a large part of them wouldn't be able to tell you a single actual Trump policy, they'd tell you the soundbite but that's about it.

The public as a whole are uninformed, that's just the truth of the matter. It doesn't matter which side, people will just vote for whatever they like best based on soundbites and headlines.

I'm a realist, if you think the majority of people sit down and read up on the latest issues when it comes to making a political choice then you're mistaken. Most just don't know what they are actually voting for regardless of the side.
Old 16-11-2016, 09:05 PM #107
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
That is beyond naive.

I bet if you were to ask most of the people who voted Trump, a large part of them wouldn't be able to tell you a single actual Trump policy, they'd tell you the soundbite but that's about it.

The public as a whole are uninformed, that's just the truth of the matter. It doesn't matter which side, people will just vote for whatever they like best based on soundbites and headlines.

I'm a realist, if you think the majority of people sit down and read up on the latest issues when it comes to making a political choice then you're mistaken. Most just don't know what they are actually voting for regardless of the side.

Old 16-11-2016, 09:29 PM #108
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Oh come on, that is blatantly true . Ironically "un-PC" to say so but it is what it is. The majority of people form their opinions based on TV journalism and tabloid press (i.e. sensationalism, soundbites, and other assorted bull****).
Old 16-11-2016, 10:16 PM #109
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Oh come on, that is blatantly true . Ironically "un-PC" to say so but it is what it is. The majority of people form their opinions based on TV journalism and tabloid press (i.e. sensationalism, soundbites, and other assorted bull****).
That's fine, but let's get real here if a lowly "forum member " said this they would be at the very least pulled on it, or infracted or banned
Old 16-11-2016, 10:17 PM #110
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
that's a very sweeping generalisation to make
Evidence of pulling
Old 16-11-2016, 10:32 PM #111

From what I can see most people get their opinions on subjects like the EU over a number of years. It's been talked about for ages. Probably nightly TV news is the main source. I doubt political campaigns make much difference actually.

I was looking back, and here is a poll from before the EU referendum campaign that had Leave in the lead - http://www.thisisbigbrother.com/foru...&postcount=882 before any buses with £350 million slogans appeared.

I'm talking about UK politics here - don't know enough about US politics to say much about the reasons for that. Although for what I can see the campaign there was mostly about personality and character of the candidates, with actual policies hardly talked about.
Old 16-11-2016, 10:32 PM #112
-

-

Quote:
That's fine, but let's get real here if a lowly "forum member " said this they would be at the very least pulled on it, or infracted or banned
No.
Old 16-11-2016, 10:35 PM #113
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by James;9063587[B
]From what I can see most people get their opinions on subjects like the EU over a number of years. It's been talked about for ages. Probably nightly TV news is the main source. I doubt political campaigns make much difference actually.
[/B]
I was looking back, and here is a poll from before the EU referendum campaign that had Leave in the lead - http://www.thisisbigbrother.com/foru...&postcount=882 before any buses with £350 million slogans appeared.

I'm talking about UK politics here - don't know enough about US politics to say much about the reasons for that. Although for what I can see the campaign there was mostly about personality and character of the candidates, with actual policies hardly talked about.

Last edited by Cherie; 16-11-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 16-11-2016, 10:36 PM #114

:umm3:
Old 16-11-2016, 10:37 PM #115
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

:umm4:
Old 16-11-2016, 10:41 PM #116
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
From what I can see most people get their opinions on subjects like the EU over a number of years. It's been talked about for ages. Probably nightly TV news is the main source. I doubt political campaigns make much difference actually.

It went back and forth for ages iirc and plus it doesn't really disprove what I'm saying about a lot of people not really being informed.

Brexit mostly became a vote on immigration by the end although leaving the EU would have little effect on our immigration policies. Most people likely voted Leave or Remain on that issue alone although neither option would have an affect on it. That's rather uninformed.
Old 16-11-2016, 11:07 PM #117

democrat supporters have got to stop acting like sore losers, you had 8 years to sort out the problems and all you did was throw obama care at the people, and then you opened up the borders, and with it an increase in murders, sexual assaults, and sex trafficking, and the drug cartels driving in and out of the country, and building up their empires in the cities of LA,chicago, and miami, and selling their stash to kids on the streets, and today the democrats only get states in the election where the rich and famous live, and what would these people know about having a harsh life, look at the election map and the states that are blue, and look at the states that are red, what a shock, and why do they think blaming the white voters when it was them who helped obama get into the white house, and does katy perry,beyonce,lady gaga think that hillary is a fan of there music,
Old 17-11-2016, 05:45 AM #118
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:

....No. joe public does not have a clue what is about to theoretically knee him in the nads concerning brexit.
Old 17-11-2016, 05:49 AM #119
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
I've said similar 100s of times and not been banned for it, I think our media is biased. There's university studies done on how biased it is! And I've not been banned for saying it... Mainly because I'm ace mind you
Old 17-11-2016, 06:37 AM #120
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post

..Jack_ posted this article in another thread yesterday and it's an excellent read...

https://www.theguardian.com/membersh...uncie-election

..I know it's only one person's take on one American 'middletown' so not necessarily a complete representative or even accurate, we don't know but it does make so much sense also and interestingly suggests that 'character' doesn't play that big a part, with some who voted for Trump possibly not even liking anything about his character, feeling he has nothing to admire about him at all or to be able to relate to etc...but more that he just doesn't represent what is felt has taken away virtually everything that 'middletowns' have been built on, stripped away generations of familiars and left a feeling of such 'abandonment'...immigration is a factor as well and all of the other things that have been mentioned over time, it's a mixture of all of it to the point of a disillusioned society and Hilary, being establishment represented that disillusionment...her 'corruption' not being such a factor and Trump's prejudices not so much either.../it's just the biggest ENOUGH..!!!!!!!!!!!...ever, in saying...where do we fit in, what happened to our world and what did you all governments do for our benefit in progression.../anyways, it's an excellent read if you have time, James...
Old 17-11-2016, 06:44 AM #121
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

..anyways, the reason I dislike these type of vids so much is because they're so ironical and hypocritical and purposefully agitate and incite the very thing that they appear to be condemning...it's perfectly obvious that liberal people are not who are been shown committing violent acts../that's a whole contradiction because if they're communication is violence in their intolerance then they're not liberal so he's just adding layers on layers of the same thing he objects to and they serve no purpose other than to agitate for his own agenda or income or whatever...the first incident is a high school or college student...and it was already being dealt with in disciplinary action there and no need to put it out over the internet in a vid that will only attract more 'hate' and gather moss as these things do...and he's far to media savvy to not know exactly what he's doing, just a grim person really...
Old 17-11-2016, 06:45 AM #122
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Micheal Moore hit the nail on the head, he knew he'd will because of the disenfranchised vote. The same happened here with brexit, trump winning was even coined 'the brexit effect' I think. People are just so frustrated Jimmy saville could have risen from the dead, promised to deliver us from 'the big 6' of anything and everthing, and he's have won!
Old 17-11-2016, 06:48 AM #123
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Micheal Moore hit the nail on the head, he knew he'd will because of the disenfranchised vote. The same happened here with brexit, trump winning was even coined 'the brexit effect' I think. People are just so frustrated Jimmy saville could have risen from the dead, promised to deliver us from 'the big 6' of anything and everthing, and he's have won!
...the article that Jack posted has a slightly different take in that it paints the pic of that town so much as well and draws on so many familiars that we can all relate to in some way, it just feels a little more personal I guess.../anyways I have to rush but if you have time at all Kizzy, it's an excellent read which I think you'll appreciate...
Old 17-11-2016, 09:00 AM #124
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Quote:
Evidence of pulling
I'm a married woman excuse your cheek

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Old 17-11-2016, 09:03 AM #125
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
I'm a married woman excuse your cheek