Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 16-01-2019, 01:38 PM #326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
LOL...

Isn't it funny that it seems like it's only men on this forum who know about gender and assume everyone else is ignorant.
Who said this?

The only member who's even commenting on genders who can and can't have an opinion is you. As per usual.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 01:44 PM #327
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Well mainly prisons really, also in sports
Prisons I personally think the issue is more to do with the individual than a generalisation. If its a violent offender, all sort of considerations should be made when assessing the best place for them, and if that's done properly then there really should be very little chance of a violent male ending up in with female prisoners.

Sports is sort of a different debate really... It's less about universal rights and being born male does present a significant physical advantage in many sports. Honestly I would say that any fair-minded transfemale would be mindful of that and avoid the sport even if they're good at it, and consider that part of the "deal" for lack of a better word.

I think it's in Spider-man where he says that he would love to play a sport at school but used to be small and weak, and after getting powerz would obviously dominate, "but he couldn't before, so he shouldn't now". Which seems fair.

Not like Tom Welling's Clark Kent who played high school football and pretended like he wasnt at an advantage because he deliberately slowed down . BAD Tom.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 01:47 PM #328
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
If people won't be attacked then what is the issue? It can only be irrational fear (which is, literally by definition, phobia) and while yes irratiinal fears can still have a very real impact on people and shouldn't necessarily be dismissed, the aim should be to address those fears productively, and not say "Well quite right, we'll keep those strange folks away!" for the sake of comfort. How does society ever progress that way?

There are a lot of elderly people who are LEGITIMATELY afraid of black people... As in terrified. Because of how they were raised and things they've been indoctrinated to believe. Do we keep black people out of their wards to alleviate their fear? Their fear is very real, despite being unfounded and prejudiced. Do we stop black staff members from working with them? They would be much more comfortable if we did. But these things would (rightly) be seen as morally abhorrent. Why is it so different with trans issues? All I can ever come back to is the thought that people arguing so strongly against it must have some personal distaste for it, and a lot of it manifests as angry misandry, which is for some reason acceptable.
Again, I've already said I don't really have an issues with hospital wards.

Quote:
I mean jesus christ... Imagine the backlash if men were proudly declaring "NO VAGINAS IN MEN-ONLY SPACES!". It would go down like a lead balloon, and for good reason. Its a wildly offensive way to phrase what might otherwise be an opinion with some validity... Reducing people to their genitalia. What is that?
I never said anything like that

Quote:
Also the issue of Self -ID is a complicated one in itself. What is the alternative to self ID? A person's thoughts and feelings on their identity is irrelevant unless it's confirmed by a doctor or psychologist? Mental health professionals (who, unfortunately, frequently get things horribly wrong) get the final say on what an individual is or isn't? I don't think that's a particularly attractive path, either.

The REAL scenario is that the vast majority of self-identified transsexuals Will be dressing as and living as the gender they are claiming. The idea that blokes are going around looking and acting like blokes whilst self identifying as women on any sort of regular basis is just complete fantasy. Does it happen? Maybe, very, very rarely but we don't live our lives based on what is very rare and unusual. We don't keep kids locked in the house because of the very rare occasions when they go missing. We don't ban cars based on the not-even-that-unusual chance of a crash. We calculate risk sensibly and take all sort of risks, individually and as a society, on a daily basis. The risk of allowing Self ID in hospitals is utterly miniscule, and the aim should be to help people understand that to alleviate their fears, not to validate those fears by telling people "Well yeah a covert predator in a wig really might getcha".
Honestly I don't care how people choose to live, it only becomes an issue when places or things that are sex segregated (for good reason ie Biological reasons) are encroached upon like Prisons and Sports, there's been a fair few cases arising where trans woman have been entering womens sports and the biological advantages are very evident, it's pretty unfair for a start and also dangerous when it comes to some sports like UFC.

Quote:
I don't tell my daughter that a masked man might run out of the woods and grab her when she's at the park with her friends. I don't keep her locked indoors. It happens! Horrifically, it COULD happen! But realistically, she isn't at any risk worth worrying about whilst playing hide and seek with her friends.

I do! Maybe not specifically a masked man but yeah, I've warned my kids about scenarios like those happening? I thought most parents did tbh?

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.

Last edited by Niamh.; 16-01-2019 at 02:34 PM.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 01:51 PM #329
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Prisons I personally think the issue is more to do with the individual than a generalisation. If its a violent offender, all sort of considerations should be made when assessing the best place for them, and if that's done properly then there really should be very little chance of a violent male ending up in with female prisoners.

Sports is sort of a different debate really... It's less about universal rights and being born male does present a significant physical advantage in many sports. Honestly I would say that any fair-minded transfemale would be mindful of that and avoid the sport even if they're good at it, and consider that part of the "deal" for lack of a better word.

I think it's in Spider-man where he says that he would love to play a sport at school but used to be small and weak, and after getting powerz would obviously dominate, "but he couldn't before, so he shouldn't now". Which seems fair.

Not like Tom Welling's Clark Kent who played high school football and pretended like he wasnt at an advantage because he deliberately slowed down . BAD Tom.
Spiderman knew that with great power comes great responsibility

But just regarding sport, there actually have been a number of cases of these occurring lately so I think that is becoming a problem for women.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 16-01-2019, 02:48 PM #330
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
I never said anything like that
It wasn't directed at you, but at the "no penises in female only spaces" comment that Livia has made five or six times in this thread alone.

Quote:
I do! Maybe not specifically a masked man but yeah, I've warned my kids about scenarios like those happening? I thought most parents did tbh?
She knows that bad things happen to people and what to do if it does happen but the point is she knows it is still very UNlikely and so doesn't actively worry about being snatched every time she's out on her own. And we don't base the rules on whether or not she can or can't do things on the slim possibility of something happening to her. No one can live like that, and that's how it works on a societal scale, too... every day, people board planes with their families knowing that planes DO crash, but understanding that the chance of ours crashing is tiny. Thus, logically, there's simply no reason to exclude transwomen (whether they have a "diagnosis" or not) from being in female wards based solely on the tiny possibility of one of them committing assault, and even LESS because of the small possibility that "some people might feel uncomfortable or frightened". Honestly exactly the same logic was applied when certain places in the US stopped relegating black people to the back of the bus; that it shouldn't happen "because people would be scared and intimidated" - especially women and the elderly - because of their false beliefs about ethnic minorities. I firmly believe that if we start basing decisions like this on "what everyone is comfortable with", NO progression could ever occur in any area.

That said, none of it is a reason to abandon common sense and individual use of judgement. If someone's behaviour is concerning or there's reason to believe that their motivations are suspect (such as a large burly man with a beard loudly insisting he's female) then of course they should expect some questions to be asked, but I just can't see that scenario actually happening often enough to be considered anything other than an anomaly... with the vast majority of self-IDing transexuals quite obviously having traits of their chosen gender.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 16-01-2019 at 02:48 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-01-2019, 02:53 PM #331
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Again, I'm not really concerned about hospital wards (and yes I know that's what this thread is about :P ) So not a whole lot of point me responding to that ^ I feel like we're going round in circles now because I'm back to saying I would be concerned about self IDing in certain situations ie prisons, sports etc.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 02-02-2019, 07:56 AM #332

Default NHS TRANS ROW as MEN get access to WOMAN'S wards if they identify as female

Apologies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Zizu; 02-02-2019 at 11:06 AM.
Zizu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
access, female, identify, men, nhs, row, trans, wards, woman