Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB10 Big Brother 10 from 2009 was won by Sophie Reade.

Old 13-08-2009, 12:06 PM #1

Default BB\'s duty of care to HMs

we all know that BB is just a game show and we all know that HMs choose to go on and have to accept responsibility for their actions and that things will not be easy for them on BB.

However, there are limits. I have been watching BB for quite a few years and have never before seen one HM take so much abuse, intimidation, ridicule, sarcasm and humiliation.

I am of course talking about Freddie. He has not been blameless - he joined in with the baiting of David when he shouldn't have done and he behaved like a tw*t in the diary room.

However, NOTHING justifies what he has had to put up with. His experience for large parts of the show has been nothing short of mental torture and is quite sickening to watch.

People can crtiicise Bea and how much most of us hate her. But the main responsibility for this lies with BB itself.

They have a duty of care to their HMs to intervene when things are unacceptable and to make it clear to HMs that their behaviour is not acceptable.

And they above all have a responsibility to all their HMs to ensure that anyone who goes on that show is not someone who could act in ways that could harm other contestants.

There have been 3 HMs on this show who have been sociopaths (Noirin, Kenneth and Bea) - the latter by far the worst.

I really would like to know exactly how Channel 4 screens its contestants to make sure that they are fit to go on the show - not just that they themselves are fit but that they are not a threat to others.

It is one thing having psychologists helping HMs when they come on the show but it is another to make sure it doesn't happen in the first place.

If I was a member of Freddie's family, I would seriously be considering taking legal proceedings against them for breach of duty of care. If a woman who is diagnosed with sociopathic tendencies is chosen to go on the show, BB cannot just wash its hands. It must take respnsibility. And that includes admitting to breach of a duty of care to HMs and paying compensation for it.

I am sure I will be slated and told - this is just a game show - you accept it when you go on. But we all know there has to be a limit - physical torture would not be allowed on the show so why is psychological torture being allowed?
jegmeister is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:18 PM #2

I am bumping this post as it deserves some discussion. Even if you disagree with it, I would like to hear some views
jegmeister is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:20 PM #3

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
CBB18: Stephen Bear

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
CBB18: Stephen Bear

No-one BB housemate has suffered as much as poor Freddie.

So many evil housemates - Kris, Kenneth, Karly, Lisa, Noirin, Charlie & Bea.
karezza is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:27 PM #4

They're cowards. ..and while it's getting the ratings that's all they're interested in.
watchinittoomuch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:32 PM #5

Quote:
Originally posted by jegmeister
we all know that BB is just a game show and we all know that HMs choose to go on and have to accept responsibility for their actions and that things will not be easy for them on BB.

However, there are limits. I have been watching BB for quite a few years and have never before seen one HM take so much abuse, intimidation, ridicule, sarcasm and humiliation.

I am of course talking about Freddie. He has not been blameless - he joined in with the baiting of David when he shouldn't have done and he behaved like a tw*t in the diary room.

However, NOTHING justifies what he has had to put up with. His experience for large parts of the show has been nothing short of mental torture and is quite sickening to watch.

People can crtiicise Bea and how much most of us hate her. But the main responsibility for this lies with BB itself.

They have a duty of care to their HMs to intervene when things are unacceptable and to make it clear to HMs that their behaviour is not acceptable.

And they above all have a responsibility to all their HMs to ensure that anyone who goes on that show is not someone who could act in ways that could harm other contestants.

There have been 3 HMs on this show who have been sociopaths (Noirin, Kenneth and Bea) - the latter by far the worst.

I really would like to know exactly how Channel 4 screens its contestants to make sure that they are fit to go on the show - not just that they themselves are fit but that they are not a threat to others.

It is one thing having psychologists helping HMs when they come on the show but it is another to make sure it doesn't happen in the first place.

If I was a member of Freddie's family, I would seriously be considering taking legal proceedings against them for breach of duty of care. If a woman who is diagnosed with sociopathic tendencies is chosen to go on the show, BB cannot just wash its hands. It must take respnsibility. And that includes admitting to breach of a duty of care to HMs and paying compensation for it.

I am sure I will be slated and told - this is just a game show - you accept it when you go on. But we all know there has to be a limit - physical torture would not be allowed on the show so why is psychological torture being allowed?
I agree... look at how many times Marcus has been called into the diary room for apparent abuse. Lisa, Charlie, Kris, Bea, Karly and Sophie seem to escape this as they do igt covertly.

Protected bullies.
bigmalky is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:36 PM #6

Well I understand it's a game show and also that we don't see everything that happens. However, last night Charlie picked on Freddie again and he should have been called to the diary in order to get him to shut up.

Freddie clearly seems to struggle in getting his feelings across and that's why he's getting picked on. He hasn't got the ability to give rapid fire defence and so he gets talked over.

Because he's survived so many evictions and people have said that he’s popular; he's a target and people are focusing on him. Freddie's enemies on these forums only barely tolerate him when he's treated as a punch bag and rage when he's got some confidence (calling him cocky). Ironically Freddie is all the more popular when he's being attacked.
halfacrown is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:41 PM #7
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

It's car crash TV

I have no wish to defend Bea, but she is hardly the first sociopath to walk through the BB doors.

Jennifer? Grace? Rex? Sylvia? Makosi?
BB_Eye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:42 PM #8

Quote:
Originally posted by bigmalky

I agree... look at how many times Marcus has been called into the diary room for apparent abuse.
This demonstrates that BB is to a certain extent exercising its duty of care. Few of the housemates have seen what Marcus is doing, which is often the case when people are victims of the sort of treatment that Marcus dishes out. I would question whether BB has fully excercised its responsibilities. In my view Marcus should have been removed after the number of warnings he has had. ZERO TOLERANCE has been a major campaign to try to nip escallating problems in the bud.

Mercfully at last WE the public have the opportunity to do what BB should have done, had it not been driven by commercial considerations.
The_Long_Run is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:43 PM #9

Quote:
Originally posted by BB_Eye
It's car crash TV

I have no wish to defend Bea, but she is hardly the first sociopath to walk through the BB doors.

Jennifer? Grace? Rex? Sylvia? Makosi?
But she is the worst. The others joined in while in the house. Bea was watching how Freddie responds to bullying before she got into the house.
Old 13-08-2009, 12:44 PM #10
El Cockroach

Favourites (more):
BBUSA25: Cory
BBCanada 9: Rohan

El Cockroach

Favourites (more):
BBUSA25: Cory
BBCanada 9: Rohan

Freddie seems like a good hearted person, who justs wants to be a rebel, but really hes a little boy, and no he dosent need to be treated so monsterly, just because he has money, and dosent live in a bin like Bea and Lisa, hes victumnised, I dont think hes being bullied at all know, its just back stabbing!
DrunkerThanMoses is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:45 PM #11
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

Still not sure Kenneth was a Soicopath, more blinded by Money. Noirin was, but not a very clever one. Bea is pretty clever just too wreckless. And maybe Victor, I think he probably was a Sociopath.
InOne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:45 PM #12

Favourites:
CBB14: Gary
BB12: Aaron

Favourites:

I have reached a point were it is becoming extremely uncomfortable to watch. Never have I seen one person so abused as Freddie has been.
It has gone beyond acceptable and something needs to be done.

When someone is beaten to the floor verbally everytime they try to open their mouth bullying is the only thing that springs to mind..

I for one hope he can stick it out despite what these B******s can throw at him but who could blame him for crumbling under this kind of torture.

I'm genuinely worried for him.
Becker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:46 PM #13
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by Becker
I have reached a point were it is becoming extremely uncomfortable to watch. Never have I seen one person so abused as Freddie has been.
It has gone beyond acceptable and something needs to be done.

When someone is beaten to the floor verbally everytime they try to open their mouth bullying is the only thing that springs to mind..

I for one hope he can stick it out despite what these B******s can throw at him but who could blame him for crumbling under this kind of torture.

I'm genuinely worried for him.
Charlie is becoming one of the worst for it, worse than kirs. He is so load and idiotic, it is really annoying.
Old 13-08-2009, 12:49 PM #14

Favourites (more):
BB11: Sam
CBB7: Vinnie

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Quote:

I agree... look at how many times Marcus has been called into the diary room for apparent abuse. Lisa, Charlie, Kris, Bea, Karly and Sophie seem to escape this as they do igt covertly.

Protected bullies.
Yes, totally agree with everything you said. Nobody should slate you because even though it is a game, knobody has any idea of the intensity until they go into the house. I've watched it from series 1 and have absolutely no desire to enter the BB house myself - couldn't hack it or the HM they get in. They are always going to pick a mixed bunch to argue amongst themselves, it wouoldn't make gret tv if everyone was getting on all the time. But Freddie's treatment has been nothing short of despicable and BB needs to shoulder some of the blame.
sophieyk2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:51 PM #15

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

sorry, some of my spelling is atrocious
sophieyk2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:51 PM #16
User banned

User banned

Quote:

I think you are blowing things out of all proportion! For a start - many people would disagree with your definition of who have been sociopaths - I would consider putting Marcus in that category and defnitely have taken Noirin and Bea out - difference of opinion and interpretation of events! Sociopath is a very strong word - and should not be confused with bitch or similar types of words! Who are you, or anyone, to say their view is the correct view? None of us are experts on human behaviour - although Freddie liked to claim he was!

If things were as bad as you perceive them - I have no doubt both bb and/or his family would have removed him. It is a gameshow - Freddie can leave at any time! If he is having a tough time in there - a lot of it is down to his own behaviour and how that has affected the attitudes of other housemates towards him! I do not condone bullying - but there has been a lot of bullying in there from various hm's towards different people - and rather a lot of it on this forum! I have certainly seen worse on previous bb shows!!

Bullying in situations like the playground or the workplace is much more damaging - because it is not so easy to get away from it - but a gameshow - come on - it is a very brief moment of time in his life. One that he can walk away from at any time - and return to his very privileged life - where retrospectively he will realise how unimportant it all was - and probably eventually be able to laugh at it all!

I am not going to go into it again as I have mentioned it several times before - but in my opinion Marcus posed a bigger threat to other housemates - an opinion which no doubt you will disagree with - my point exactly!

I don't know how bb screen the hm's - and maybe some improvement is needed there - I don't know - but there is so much hypocricy going on about all of this - and I for one am fed up to the back teeth of it!
WOMBAI is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:52 PM #17

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Long_Run
Quote:

I agree... look at how many times Marcus has been called into the diary room for apparent abuse.
This demonstrates that BB is to a certain extent exercising its duty of care. Few of the housemates have seen what Marcus is doing, which is often the case when people are victims of the sort of treatment that Marcus dishes out. I would question whether BB has fully excercised its responsibilities. In my view Marcus should have been removed after the number of warnings he has had. ZERO TOLERANCE has been a major campaign to try to nip escallating problems in the bud.

Mercfully at last WE the public have the opportunity to do what BB should have done, had it not been driven by commercial considerations.
You blind deluded person...
Old 13-08-2009, 12:53 PM #18

Freddie appears to be Marcus's puppet. He has set him up as a whipping boy and has no concerns for his wellbeing. He is using Freddie to punish Bea for rejecting him. Unconscionable and BB needs to intervene.
Old 13-08-2009, 12:54 PM #19
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by COMMONSENSE
Quote:

I think you are blowing things out of all proportion! For a start - many people would disagree with your definition of who have been sociopaths - I would consider putting Marcus in that category and defnitely have taken Noirin and Bea out - difference of opinion and interpretation of events! Sociopath is a very strong word - and should not be confused with bitch or similar types of words! Who are you, or anyone, to say their view is the correct view? None of us are experts on human behaviour - although Freddie liked to claim he was!

If things were as bad as you perceive them - I have no doubt both bb and/or his family would have removed him. It is a gameshow - Freddie can leave at any time! If he is having a tough time in there - a lot of it is down to his own behaviour and how that has affected the attitudes of other housemates towards him! I do not condone bullying - but there has been a lot of bullying in there from various hm's towards different people - and rather a lot of it on this forum! I have certainly seen worse on previous bb shows!!

Bullying in situations like the playground or the workplace is much more damaging - because it is not so easy to get away from it - but a gameshow - come on - it is a very brief moment of time in his life. One that he can walk away from at any time - and return to his very privileged life - where retrospectively he will realise how unimportant it all was - and probably eventually be able to laugh at it all!

I am not going to go into it again as I have mentioned it several times before - but in my opinion Marcus posed a bigger threat to other housemates - an opinion which no doubt you will disagree with - my point exactly!

I don't know how bb screen the hm's - and maybe some improvement is needed there - I don't know - but there is so much hypocricy going on about all of this - and I for one am fed up to the back teeth of it!

Yes Sociopath is a very strong word, but for Bea it does seem apparent.
Old 13-08-2009, 12:54 PM #20

I was disturbed by whta happened to Freddie and thought his treatment at the hands of Bea was dispicable. However... let's get this into perspective. It's Big Brother, and what's more, it's Big Brother TEN. They all know what they put themselves up for when they went into the house. They are monitored constantly and if there was a problem they'd be whisked out PDQ.

Neither Channel 4 nor Endemol are notices at this, and they're all guided by lawyers. Freddie would have signed a contract before he went in there, so good luck if his family decide to claim a breach of duty of care. Channel 4 and Endemol will be able to prove that "resonable steps" will have been taken to ensure the housemates' mental and physical wellbeing.
Prole is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:56 PM #21

Quote:
Originally posted by sophieyk2
sorry, some of my spelling is atrocious
S'okay Soph, there isn't a test :-)

They look more like typos than mistakes anyway.
Prole is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 12:58 PM #22
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by Prole
I was disturbed by whta happened to Freddie and thought his treatment at the hands of Bea was dispicable. However... let's get this into perspective. It's Big Brother, and what's more, it's Big Brother TEN. They all know what they put themselves up for when they went into the house. They are monitored constantly and if there was a problem they'd be whisked out PDQ.

Neither Channel 4 nor Endemol are notices at this, and they're all guided by lawyers. Freddie would have signed a contract before he went in there, so good luck if his family decide to claim a breach of duty of care. Channel 4 and Endemol will be able to prove that "resonable steps" will have been taken to ensure the housemates' mental and physical wellbeing.

Freddie will be ok, tbh I don't think he even takes into account most of it.
Old 13-08-2009, 12:58 PM #23

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by The_Long_Run

You blind deluded person...
BB monitors are watching ALL the action, not just HL and LF and so are better able to make an informed decision of who needs to be brought into the diary room to be warmed for overstepping acceptable limits. My tolerance levels are clearly lower than those exhibitted by BB but the trend is shared between us.
Old 13-08-2009, 12:58 PM #24

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally posted by Prole

Well it's good to know Freddie is in safe hands mate ... oh wait
Becker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 01:00 PM #25

Well said and I agree on every points.
Nebi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bb's, care, duty, hms