Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

International Big Brother Big Brother around the world!

Old 28-12-2009, 05:27 PM #1

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Favourites (more):

Default Should they have axed BB sooner?

If so, when?

I think they should've done it after BB9, it felt like the natural end point and it was still fairly popular. Now its been run into the ground and its fizzling out towards the end and noone cares. Although I'd love to be proven wrong in the last year (but probably won't be).
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 05:31 PM #2

after about 7 or 8 when it started to decline in popularity

but then again, who was to say at the time it would start to decline after that?
King Gizzard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 05:32 PM #3
Nah

Nah

Not after BB9 because we wouldn't have had the amazing BB10 this year. They should have after CBB5 really. It was a disaster and Shilpa winning would have been an amazing end.
But I think 11 is a good number and I think it's time for it to end. I love this show to death but I can tell when it's not worth it anylonger and right now, it's not. Don't get me wrong, I'm a hardcore BB fan, I've been watching the majority of the versions around the world and I thought BBUK was invincible like the best of them all, it was an inspiration, the master of Big Brother.
But since BB8, I felt it wasn't anymore, something was missing, the atmosphere and the hype around it. Furthermore, a lot of other versions did step up their game like Big Brother USA, Secret Story France and Grande Fratello Italy so the domination was over.

Bad luck I guess.
Old 28-12-2009, 05:32 PM #4

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan View Post
after about 7 or 8 when it started to decline in popularity

but then again, who was to say at the time it would start to decline after that?
After BB8 you could probably predict BB9 wouldn't be much different and then things went wrong during CBB6, so signs obviously not good at all for 10
Old 28-12-2009, 05:34 PM #5
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

They should have just done this whole revamp business for Celebrity and the summer series last year and called it a day.

That said, I loved BB10. No producer intervention whatsoever but it still managed to get carried to greatness by four or five genuinly legendary housemates who would have been even better in older series.
Stu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 05:36 PM #6

yeah despite its growing unpopularity 9 and 10 were probably my two favourite big brothers
King Gizzard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 05:36 PM #7
V.I.P

Favourites (more):
BBCanada: Talla
CBB 11: Speidi

V.I.P

Favourites (more):

Well if they did end it after BB9 then it would of left on a high and everyone would love it and it would have a better chance of being brought back on another channel sooner.

But like you said they ****ed it up during BB10 and let it die, now its a joke for most people in the UK just look at that 'Top TV shows of the Noughties' last night, they showed BB9 and made a joke out of it but didnt even include it on the countdown.
BB was easily one of the most well knowen shows of the Noughties but it wasnt included in that countdown because the makers of it probley thought no one would care anymore..

So in a word Yes it should of happened sooner only because it would of been brought back sooner on another channel.

If BB11 is as great as BB5,9,6, or 7 and it can get at least 3million every night, then theres a chance of BB coming back a few years down the line.
Just a shame that somthing went wrong during Summer, I really think BB10 had the potential to be amazing..

It had brilliant housemates like Marcus,Noirin and Bea.

But they just made it ****, and now if you say your a BB fan in School, everyone laughs but if that had been about a year ago people would of agreed
Old 28-12-2009, 05:37 PM #8

Favourites (more):
I'm a Celeb 2012: Eric Bristow
X Factor 2012: James Arthur

Favourites (more):
I'm a Celeb 2012: Eric Bristow
X Factor 2012: James Arthur

no i don't think they should, the revamp should have been earlier, would have saved the show.
Rob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 05:37 PM #9
V.I.P

Favourites (more):

V.I.P

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
it still managed to get carried to greatness by four or five genuinly legendary housemates who would have been even better in older series.
Agree, I mean if Marcus had been on BB6 Or BB7, He would of easily have his own show by now.
Old 28-12-2009, 05:39 PM #10

Carry on Big Brother forever, I want to see the younger members of TIBB get onto the show in the future.
Beastie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 05:39 PM #11
V.I.P

Favourites (more):

V.I.P

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain.Remy View Post
But since BB8, I felt it wasn't anymore, something was missing, the atmosphere and the hype around it. Furthermore, a lot of other versions did step up their game like Big Brother USA, Secret Story France and Grande Fratello Italy so the domination was over.

Bad luck I guess.

BB9 and BB10 werent bad, better than BBUSA.
Havent seen the other versions simply because I dont speak French,Spanish or Itallian.
Old 28-12-2009, 05:41 PM #12
V.I.P

Favourites (more):

V.I.P

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeast View Post
Carry on Big Brother forever, I want to see the younger members of TIBB get onto the show in the future.
Yeah Agree,

Its sort of annoying because ever since BB6 I always said how I wanted to go on it and now theres a good chance i`ll never get that chance now.

Thats why I hope another channel pick it up in a few years time when everyone has forgotten about Big Brother, then maybe when it comes back people will tune in and see it being as good as it was years back.
Old 28-12-2009, 05:41 PM #13
BURLESQUE

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Olly Murs

BURLESQUE

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
Havent seen the other versions simply because I dont speak French,Spanish or Itallian.
I disagree BBUSA has really stepped up it;s game the last 2 series, they've been great.

tbh, I'm still waiting for BBAUS to come back, BB08 was far surperior to any of the BBUK series we;ve seen in the last few years.

DO SOMETHING SHOW STOPPING

MrGaryy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 05:44 PM #14
Nah

Nah

Quote:
Have you watched BB USA, like a full season ? BB8 and BB11 were by far the best ones yet and pretty much owned the UK versions at the time. BB11 USA and BB10 UK were both amazing, completely different so I can't comment on these 2.
Some people might say it's the length that destroyed the format but look at BB USA. 11 series ? They haven't changed the format since BB3 and yet CBS pulls of awesome ratings. Same thing for Survivor: 20 series and nothing has changed since.
So what is it about BB UK that didn't work out well ? It is one of the few versions in the world that went badly, ratings wise from one series to another to another to another....
Old 28-12-2009, 05:45 PM #15
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Agree, I mean if Marcus had been on BB6 Or BB7, He would of easily have his own show by now.
Can you imagine if he had been in the house during Fight Night 2004?

Hell!

Would have ninja kicked the mangina straight off Nadia and fed it to Victor.
Old 28-12-2009, 05:45 PM #16
Nah

Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGaryy View Post
I disagree BBUSA has really stepped up it;s game the last 2 series, they've been great.

tbh, I'm still waiting for BBAUS to come back, BB08 was far surperior to any of the BBUK series we;ve seen in the last few years.
BB08 was much better than BB7, 8 and 9. I love how the Australian producers ended it up on an amazing note. They worked it really.
Old 28-12-2009, 05:47 PM #17

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Have you watched BB USA, like a full season ? BB8 and BB11 were by far the best ones yet and pretty much owned the UK versions at the time. BB11 USA and BB10 UK were both amazing, completely different so I can't comment on these 2.
Some people might say it's the length that destroyed the format but look at BB USA. 11 series ? They haven't changed the format since BB3 and yet CBS pulls of awesome ratings. Same thing for Survivor: 20 series and nothing has changed since.
So what is it about BB UK that didn't work out well ? It is one of the few versions in the world that went badly, ratings wise from one series to another to another to another....
BB doesn't rate brilliantly in America, plus its very low key and with zero press interest. A good comparison for the UK would probably be the Joseph type shows on BBC1 or Dancing on Ice. BB was a front runner in the UK reality TV market until it randomly imploded one year and never recovered.
Old 28-12-2009, 05:49 PM #18
Nah

Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
BB doesn't rate brilliantly in America, plus its very low key and with zero press interest. A good comparison for the UK would probably be the Joseph type shows on BBC1 or Dancing on Ice
Not brilliantly but rather well with less press interest. Their key of success is to put the right mix of people at the good time and manage to make it work. BB USA has dominated BB UK, in my opinion, for the last 2 years. That's why it will go on and on and on...
Old 28-12-2009, 05:50 PM #19
BURLESQUE

Favourites:

BURLESQUE

Favourites:

Quote:
BB08 was much better than BB7, 8 and 9. I love how the Australian producers ended it up on an amazing note. They worked it really.
I agree, it just had the most perfect selection of housemates, great twists, a nice house and they took lots of risks and tried new things, most of which worked great bar the new eviction process which they wisely ditched halfway.

DO SOMETHING SHOW STOPPING

MrGaryy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 05:50 PM #20
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
I think there is a simple reason why Big Brother is failing in the UK. It's in the UK. Over here the show was a tabloid event and is the bane of the PC, Daily Mail reading populace. When the racism row occured, the show faced riddiculous censorship and was left in a creative slump that destroyed the summer series in 2007, which in turn destroyed any chance of the 2008 series ever having a fair chance.

Then instead of changing things in a big way and fast like they should have done in the post racism row, they toned it down and tried to stick it out and, well, here we are today, with about a third or it's original audience.

Books will be written about this someday. The racism row and Big Brother 8 are what killed Big Brother in this country. Big Brother 8 for it's part was a three month lesson in how to destroy a TV franchise. It was a textbook exmaple of how not to pull off a TV show.

Last edited by Stu; 28-12-2009 at 05:53 PM.
Old 28-12-2009, 05:51 PM #21
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

Well theoretically they should've axed it either after CBB5, or BB9. But in reality I think they've chosen a good time to axe it. I'm still holding out for a massive turnaround next year though, no matter how unlikely it may be.
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 06:01 PM #22

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Not brilliantly but rather well with less press interest. Their key of success is to put the right mix of people at the good time and manage to make it work. BB USA has dominated BB UK, in my opinion, for the last 2 years. That's why it will go on and on and on...
But the American audience have much lower expectations than ours, and it isn't seen as trashy, gutter TV or chav TV over there. Over here there is a stigma attached to watching the show, something you'll never truly understand unless you live here. BBUK got out of hand during BB7 when they kept trying to give the public more and more, until they reached the level where they can't shock us anymore. Plus it got over exposed and by the next celeb series, noone was watching it (the ratings were down before the race row). The race row couldn't have come at a worse time for BB, so noone cared for BB8 because of all the negativity around it and it had to be censored so it looked even weaker. BB7 left them with no option but to recycle twists which made it even worse. BBCH was full of false promises and never materialised, BB9 was an odd blip and promising return to form but CBB6 was awful, ratings fell through the floor then even worse for BB10 which just had a very dodgy launch. Thats why BBUK is in the state its in, whilst BBUSA is still going strong. BBUSA haven't made themselves creatively bankrupt and haven't had their show dogged by a controversy for 3 years that pretty much castrated the show.

If they wanted to keep BB what they should have done was pushed BB8 back a year with a full scale relaunch, and leaving Celebrity Big Brother in the history books. Hijack could've become its replacement on Channel 4 with a few tweaks.
Old 28-12-2009, 06:09 PM #23
Banned

Favourites (more):
UBB: Nikki
BB11: Mario

Banned

Favourites (more):
UBB: Nikki
BB11: Mario

we want BB to live forever.
and to NEVER axe BB that would be Great
Stacey. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 06:16 PM #24
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

It's also worth mentioning that no mater how bad the show has been from a creative standpoint, Channel 4 never helped. The promotion for the show over the past few years has been abysmal. Nevermind the generic eyeflash/house trailer/countdown package they have only recently decided to change, but the only way you would ever possibly find out if a twist was happening was to be an internet fan or tune in that night.

The ideas were so on the spot and sporadic over the past few years that they did not even have time to build twists. One hundred thousand pounds was wasted on a vacous housemate for a rating that could have been achieved with a more generic twist that would have cost zero to pull off.

Then as if the main show falling from grace was not bad enough, the entire aura was smashed when Dermot and Russel both left. Neither show has recovered since. In fact, Big Brother's Little Brother was becoming a joke before Dermot even left when it became the crazy whacky costume show, a policy the task team have now also adopted.
Old 28-12-2009, 06:36 PM #25
Banned

Favourites (more):
BB13 USA: Rachel
UBB: Brian

Banned

Favourites (more):
BB13 USA: Rachel
UBB: Brian

bb8 australia wasnt that good, yes it was better than 6 and 7 but it had nothing on 1,2,3 and 5
ILoveTRW is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
axed, bb, sooner