Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

The X Factor 2004-'08 [S1-5] Discussion of previous series (2004-2008) and the contestants. Winners were Steve Brookstein, Shayne Ward, Leona Lewis, Leon Jackson and Alexandra Burke.

Old 30-10-2005, 07:26 PM #26

Quote:
Originally posted by BB fernzy
Quote:
Originally posted by Stropz
Chenai - Oh my god girl. Please give it up. She was absolutely useless also. She most certainly doesn't have what it takes to do Mariah Carey justice. Far too many off-key parts for my liking, and a very obvious speech impediment when she sings also.
I am glad someone picked up on the speech impediment, it does not matter what song she sings now I just can't get past the speech impediment when she sings, you can also hear her breathing a lot of the time.
Yeah I've noticed that also. I actually wondered what she had sung at one point! Don't think I'm making fun of anyone with a speech impediment - I'm sure nobody here is - but it really does spoil enjoyment of the songs she does (although it would be hard to enjoy them anyway). I think she should be out within the next two weeks surely?
Ruth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-10-2005, 07:33 PM #27
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruth
Yeah I've noticed that also. I actually wondered what she had sung at one point! Don't think I'm making fun of anyone with a speech impediment - I'm sure nobody here is - but it really does spoil enjoyment of the songs she does (although it would be hard to enjoy them anyway). I think she should be out within the next two weeks surely?
The funny thing is, I don't notice it so much when she talks, so it makes me wonder if it's the way she sings which brings it out. She is very nasal. That could account for the "breathing" Dan mentioned.

And, no, you are right Ruth, none of us are making fun of the girl for having a speech impediment. We are merely pointing out a fact, much the same as if we said she had a big ar5e for example.
lily. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 02:39 AM #28

Quote:

Chenai - She most certainly doesn't have what it takes to do Mariah Carey justice. ... and a very obvious speech impediment when she sings also.
Mariah Carey also has a very obvious speech impediment when she sings - she actually sings 'twuth' rather than 'truth' in her own version of the song.
CharlotteSometimes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 05:14 AM #29

In order of how well they performed on the night (regardless of whether I like them or not) from best to worst:

Maria: The best vocalist from this year’s finalists by far, and once again the best on the night as well. Unfortunately, being an attractive woman will no doubt count against her sooner or later. In a week that promised so much but delivered so little, it’s all downhill from here, I’m afraid.

Nicholas: I really can’t stand him at all. He seems very arrogant, and the fake ‘gangsta’ drivel is extremely annoying, too. But he gave his best performance so far last Saturday, and did a decent job, even though the arrangement was played with so that he wouldn’t have to cope with the majority of the falsetto parts Al Green delivered so effortlessly.

Chenai: Her best performance so far. She proved last year and at her audition this year that she has a fantastic voice, though much the same as with Cassie last year, she loses it all when it comes to the live shows. Still, this was a much better effort, and I was pleased to see her safely through to next week’s show.

Andy: Dull dull dull, and he crooned rather than sang the song. Also lost it big time when he tried to hold the note near the end, but failed miserably. His worst week so far.

Conway Sisters: They really should never have made it this far, as they just aren’t good enough to cut it. A cheesy song, given a cheesy Nolans-esque treatment. One of them does all of the work, and the other three just sing all over each other. Ultimately, it was pleasant enough – in a twee, non-threatening kind of way. They’ll be back in the Emerald Isle before the month is out.

Shayne: A terrible choice of song this week, and therefore his worst so far. Still, there’ll be something seriously wrong going on if he isn’t in the final.

Brenda: I really fail to see the attraction, and wouldn’t have put her in the finals at all if it was up to me. She made no effort whatsoever, and only seemed to realise there was a mic available in the final third of the song. A very lazy performance.

Philip: Hilarious to watch, and another poor song choice, too. But still, his best week of the three he was around for. Trevor, however, would’ve been a far better choice for Louis’ final four.

Journey South: I never liked them at their audition, or at bootcamp, either. But they surprised me on the two previous shows, and gave good performances. This week, they went backwards. Their voices collided rather than blended. A real mess.

Chico: An abomination.
Old 02-11-2005, 06:36 PM #30

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlotteSometimes
Quote:

Chenai - She most certainly doesn't have what it takes to do Mariah Carey justice. ... and a very obvious speech impediment when she sings also.
Mariah Carey also has a very obvious speech impediment when she sings - she actually sings 'twuth' rather than 'truth' in her own version of the song.
Yes, but she can actually sing. Chenai can't even speak without the river Thames pouring out of her eyes, let alone sing.
jrc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 07:26 PM #31

You can't compare a woman with a five octave vocal range and the best of everything at her fingertips to help her, with an ordinary working class teenage girl. Chenai can indeed sing, and she's proved that many times over. Admittedly, she's been affected by nerves in each of her performances on the live shows so far. But she gave a decent performance last weekend, and was better than most of the other acts on the night.

Being emotional is hardly a negative quality, is it? It doesn't do anyone any harm, after all. She's extremely passionate and committed as far as this contest is concerned, so it's not really surprising to see that heightened emotion manifest itself in other ways, too. When a footballer's desire and determination is apparent in a tough tackle, for example, it's perfectly acceptable. I admire Chenai's emotional openness, as it goes. I find it natural and endearing. Last year, we were made to endure Jon from G4's sympathy seeking crocodile tears. That's not the case with Chenai at all.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:59 PM #32
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

I just think she is crap.

But, it would a a dull old forum if we all agreed Charlotte..
lily. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
live, shows, week, x factor