Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:43 PM #51
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Initial ballistics tests on the bullet that lodged in a police officer's radio when Mark Duggan died on Thursday night show it was a police issue bullet, the Guardian understands.

The Guardian's crime correspondent, Sandra Laville, reports:

The revelation will fuel the fury in Tottenham about the killing of Mark Duggan by armed officers.

It also undermines suggestions that there was an exchange of fire between Duggan and the police before he died.

The bullet which was found lodged in the radio of one of the officers at the scene is still undergoing forensic tests. But reliable sources have said the first ballistics examinations suggested it was a police issue bullet.

These are very distinct as the Metropolitan Police uses dum dum type hollowed out bullets designed not to pass through an object.

The early suggestion from the IPCC was that the Met officers had returned fire after someone in the minicab opened fire. But the result of the ballistics early test suggests both shots fired came from the police.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/blog/20...ce-duggan-live

Hate to say I told you so but...

Hate to say it, but ....... it makes no difference. Man goes about with loaded gun and intimating he will use it: man should expect to be shot at.

The bullet is still undergoing forensic testing. Suggestion is not yet fact.
Pyramid* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:46 PM #52
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyramid* View Post
Hate to say it, but ....... it makes no difference. Man goes about with loaded gun and intimating he will use it: man should expect to be shot at.

The bullet is still undergoing forensic testing. Suggestion is not yet fact.
Jesus, so you think anyone who carries a gun deserves to be murdered by the police?

It makes all the difference in the world, it's the difference between self-defence by the police and murder by the police, and it also shows why you shouldn't leap to conclusions in cases like these
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:55 PM #53
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Jesus, so you think anyone who carries a gun deserves to be murdered by the police?

It makes all the difference in the world, it's the difference between self-defence by the police and murder by the police, and it also shows why you shouldn't leap to conclusions in cases like these
When they are brandishing around a loaded gun - yes. Self Defence: ahhhh... so that only works one way does it... the police aren't allowed to defend themselves but criminals with loaded guns are.

It's that simple, so Jesus away all you like. That's what I strongly believe.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:19 PM #54
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
When they are brandishing around a loaded gun - yes. Self Defence: ahhhh... so that only works one way does it... the police aren't allowed to defend themselves but criminals with loaded guns are.

It's that simple, so Jesus away all you like. That's what I strongly believe.
So you're saying the police are above the law? Because if that wasn't a copper who shot a man at point blanc twice in the face you can be damn sure they'd be locked up for a long time, irrespective of whether the victim himself had a gun on him or not. And how do you know he was "brandishing" it around exactly?

Heck, there's even reports now that he was on the floor when he was shot, not good for the police is that is true

Last edited by MTVN; 07-08-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:20 PM #55
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

why are they actually rioting?
Old 07-08-2011, 08:24 PM #56
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninastar View Post
why are they actually rioting?
It started in protest against the police after they shot and killed a local guy the other day, guess it kind of got out of hand
Old 07-08-2011, 08:27 PM #57

Default Riots

Isn't it about time that the police used water canon against petrol bombs etc. Surely this would cool someones ardour! Maybe there would be less damage and injuries caused to the police and property. Perhaps paint guns with an indelible dye? Or perhaps the home secretary ought to be there to wave a white flag?? Get real and get the job done!!
brat673 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:33 PM #58
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
So you're saying the police are above the law? Because if that wasn't a copper who shot a man at point blanc twice in the face you can be damn sure they'd be locked up for a long time, irrespective of whether the victim himself had a gun on him or not. And how do you know he was "brandishing" it around exactly?

Heck, there's even reports now that he was on the floor when he was shot, not good for the police is that is true
FGS stop with the dramatics - it's incredibly droll.

The guy was a criminal. the guy resisted arrest. The guy was carrying a loaded gun. Why should the police bow down? The are not above the law - they ARE THE LAW and are there to enforce the laws of this land.

If some useless good for nothing criminal wants to think he's some tough nut running around with a loaded gun, he gets what's coming to him. End of. In every sense of the word.

Last edited by Pyramid*; 07-08-2011 at 08:33 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:35 PM #59
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
It started in protest against the police after they shot and killed a local guy the other day, guess it kind of got out of hand

I love the way you portray it as 'the police killing a local guy' - like he was some kindly gent, a pillar of the community, with nothing but good and kindness to offer the world.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:37 PM #60
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
FGS stop with the dramatics - it's incredibly droll.

The guy was a criminal. the guy resisted arrest. The guy was carrying a loaded gun. Why should the police bow down? The are not above the law - they ARE THE LAW and are there to enforce the laws of this land.

If some useless good for nothing criminal wants to think he's some tough nut running around with a loaded gun, he gets what's coming to him. End of. In every sense of the word.
Me with dramatics, that's ironic Who said they should "bow down"? I didn't and I don't expect them to, however it would be nice if those who enforce the law don't go around shooting people in the head, don't think that's much to ask. Nice to know you have such regard for human life though, and consider death a perfectly appropriate punishment for possession of a firearm
Old 07-08-2011, 08:39 PM #61
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I love the way you portray it as 'the police killing a local guy' - like he was some kindly gent, a pillar of the community, with nothing but good and kindness to offer the world.
I think my statement was pretty neutral actually, just giving the facts; he was killed and he was a local guy, I said no more than that
Old 07-08-2011, 08:40 PM #62
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Me with dramatics, that's ironic Who said they should "bow down"? I didn't and I don't expect them to, however it would be nice if those who enforce the law don't go around shooting people in the head, don't think that's much to ask. Nice to know you have such regard for human life though, and consider death a perfectly appropriate punishment for possession of a firearm
You made the statement/ offered the question: did I think the police were above the law: clearly dramatics imo.

Personally, I back the police in dealing with gun totting criminals. Call me old fashioned, but there it is. Nothing you say will persuade me to consider anything else.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:41 PM #63
Lee.

Favourites:
UBB: Brian

Lee.

Favourites:
UBB: Brian

Looks like its kicking off again in Enfield.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:41 PM #64
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
I think my statement was pretty neutral actually, just giving the facts; he was killed and he was a local guy, I said no more than that
No, it was selective. You missed out some pretty salient facts, the police didn't simply look at some poor local chap and decide to take him out.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:42 PM #65
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyland View Post
Looks like its kicking off again in Enfield.
No.... surely to god not. Geezus hell.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:46 PM #66
User tanned

Favourites:
BB11: Corin
X Factor 2010: Rebecca Ferguson

User tanned

Favourites:

You're being a bit disengenuous MTVN.

He wasnt shot for possession he was shot in the act of fleeing arrest. A very pent up scenario no doubt. Regardless of the man firing a shot if they saw him holding it in his hand ready to use that could be enough reason to open fire. Or do you think they have to wait for him to shoot one of them first?
Zippy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:53 PM #67
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
You're being a bit disengenuous MTVN.

He wasnt shot for possession he was shot in the act of fleeing arrest. A very pent up scenario no doubt. Regardless of the man firing a shot if they saw him holding it in his hand ready to use that could be enough reason to open fire. Or do you think they have to wait for him to shoot one of them first?
I'm not intentionally being but I don't think it's fact that he was fleeing arrest, the latest developments are saying that "the handgun recovered was found in a sock and therefore not ready for use"

So now it turns out that there was no firefight and the gun looks like it wasn't even ready for use? It's getting harder and harder to see how this ended up with a guy dead shot twice in the head
Old 07-08-2011, 08:55 PM #68

Favourites (more):
UBB: JohnMc
BB11: John James

Favourites (more):

It was awful yesterday about the riots, the thing that really stuck in mind is the youngests in the background trying to get their mugs shots on tv and shouting abusives. People where struggling to comprehend what happened and to these youngest it seemed yet another day. The bbc coverage was rubbish, leading the
people in their questions rather than asking just to get the answers they wanted, I think the public have a right to know why he was shot. There is a way of doing, police must have had a reason to open fire, the reason yet unknown, you have to toss the coin on this discussion and think of the
police's family they wave they partners etc off to work everyday and dont know if they will come back alive. If the police wasnt there to enforce the law what would this country be like.
tmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:09 PM #69
User tanned

Favourites:

User tanned

Favourites:

I don't believe any police officer would shoot somebody in the head without good reason at the time. They may misread signals or mistake what they see but I think they shoot for a reason.

These are professionals with a career to think of. Even for an officer shooting somebody is a big deal that they will be held accountable for. Plus they have to live with that death.

And its not like we hear about this all the time. They are relatively rare.

I agree we dont know enough about the exact situation here but that doesnt give either sides a right to jump to assumptions. If those officers felt any imminent danger then they had a right to shoot. Thats what theyre trained to do.

Last edited by Zippy; 07-08-2011 at 09:10 PM.
Zippy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:25 PM #70
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I don't believe any police officer would shoot somebody in the head without good reason at the time. They may misread signals or mistake what they see but I think they shoot for a reason.

These are professionals with a career to think of. Even for an officer shooting somebody is a big deal that they will be held accountable for. Plus they have to live with that death.

I agree we dont know enough about the exact situation here but that doesnt give either sides a right to jump to assumptions. If those officers felt any imminent danger then they had a right to shoot. Thats what theyre trained to do.
That's true I guess but this seems to be getting more questionable the more we find out, there should be some kind of an inquiry and the public (and especially the victims family) should know what happened
Old 07-08-2011, 09:32 PM #71
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:

Pretty much sums up my own view on the whole matter too.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:45 PM #72

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

On twitter a person just showed the looted stuff from last nite.

Last edited by tmi; 07-08-2011 at 09:49 PM.
tmi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:55 PM #73

Is anybody in london?
According to twitter its started kicking off in Edmonton Green,Waltham,Westfield and people starting to gather in Oxford Circus

Last edited by billy123; 07-08-2011 at 10:26 PM.
billy123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:29 AM #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael21 View Post
its not the kids that have done this

Sadly kids aged 7
were at the 1st Riots.

Last edited by arista; 08-08-2011 at 05:42 AM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 05:36 AM #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnot View Post
Is anybody in london?
According to twitter its started kicking off in Edmonton Green,Waltham,Westfield and people starting to gather in Oxford Circus

Yes there was trouble in some shops in Enfield
Twitter is used to get the Looters
and anyone there (ncluding kids).

Last edited by arista; 08-08-2011 at 05:42 AM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
london, riot, tottenham