Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB2 Brian Dowling, Helen and Paul, Dean and the rest of the Big Brother 2 housemates from 2001.

Old 27-01-2002, 03:52 PM #1

Default Those pesky journalists up to their old tricks

I don't think anyone has posted these, but I've spotted a couple of nasty digs in the press.

In the Bitches section of Friday's Star Helen was spotted running 'like a muppet' carrying shopping bags to get into a taxi. Hardly a disastrous story, and the title of the column requires a dig. Personally I was unaware that Muppets were able to either carry shopping bags or run, so I'm impressed. Even though it was meant to be nasty, the image had me laughing.

The other 'story' was from today's Sunday People. It said that viewing figures for smtv have dropped by 25% since Ant and Dec left. They claim that 'people' (or similar) believe this is all Brian's fault. It seems kids think he's a 'plonker'. Of course I'd argue that Ant and Dec were exremely popular and we all expected viewing figures to drop, possibly by more than that. Being slightly older I wouldn't dream to assume what kids think, but even if we were to assume that they really did think Brian is a 'plonker', they probably thought the same of Ant and Dec. A substantial part of their appeal lay in their unwillingness to act cool. Any too cool for Brian's daftness would surely have been too cool for the Geordie duo! That's enough logic from me, because I can only assume it had nothing to do with the people writing the article.

Certain journalists have no doubt been desparate for an opportunity to undermine him for some time. It's remarkable it's taken this long. I'm wary to say it's masked homophobia, although it has crossed my mind. All the straight people in the house have been the victim of unecessary jibes, so I don't want to jump to conclusions just yet.

I can't imagine many people would notice the story anyway. It's buried in the middle and lost amongst tawdry tales about Jamie Theakston. Something for Brian to look forward to should he have similar success.
Feefs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-01-2002, 06:47 PM #2

welll said Feefs, but over at briandowling.net the average viewing figures for smtv ran at 1.7 mil, last week the new figures were released and smtv ratings held very well at 1.6 million. James Redmond was chosen as the new presenter but I can only say he must have fallen like a lead baloon because Brian was called in to to be a guest/star presenter after an appearance on smtv at christmas and apparently got loads of emails telling him they wanted him back. I doubt very much they got that feedback on James Redmond, but maybe this is the core of the problem, Brian Dowling is more popular than James Redmond and is a far better presenter with who for all his experience is as wooden as they come so there appears to be someone who would like to knock Brian because he is so popular after all the line up was going to be Cat, James, and Tess but Brian was asked back for some reason, maybe James Redmond is very jealous of Brian and who knows who Redmonds buddies are, not mentioning any names.
Yes everyone loves a clown and ant and dec were the greatest plonkers i have ever seen, Brian appeal is very similiar .
niley is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-01-2002, 06:50 PM #3

Brian is only there as a guest presenter, so we dont know how long he'll be with smtv but to come to the point if s.o.b wants to have a go at anyway he should look at the performance of Mr James Redmond.
niley is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-01-2002, 06:55 PM #4

Certain presenters are the making of certain shows so it is hardly surprising that the ratings are down. Now that Brian as shown himself on tv he will I am afraid be a target for the nasties from the sicker side of the media.

The kid's where I live were chanting I love blinkin I do. It's a pity our Helen was not also on that show along side Brian. The kid's I think would love it.
bananarama is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-01-2002, 07:31 PM #5

I don't really believe the stories about James and Brian being in competition and not getting on. They have completely different presenting styles, and Brian and Tess were brought in before James started, so it can't have been a comment on him.

I've always been a bit of a fan of James, but even I could see he wasn't very good in his first few weeks apart from in the sketches. He wasn't himself, and his natural style is different to Ant and Dec's. Yesterday however I felt he was much better and he and Brian were interacting well. They have different roles to perform, and they seem to be beginning to get the hang of that.

I hope the producers recognise their differences in humour are a strength for the show and really nurture it. I think given time, Brian's overt enthusiasm could really bounce well off James' dry, understated wit. It would be a mistake in the long-term for them to try to keep to the style of Ant and Dec.

It's pretty certain that no matter what style of presenting you go for, someone won't like it. The new presenters just have to make a go at doing their best according to their natural style. If that turns out not to suit the show then they're better off moving on than becoming something they are not.

WRT smtv viewing figures, I'm a bit confused by what was quoted. I remember reading in the press that last Autumn smtv was attracting over 2 1/2 million. This was probably artificially inflated because people knew Ant and Dec were leaving, or Pop Idol fans suddenly realised they were missing something etc. What I do know, is that less than one month into the new line-up is not the time to make bold decisions based on numbers alone.

Bananarama, as much as I think Helen is fantastically suited to children's tv, I don't think she and Brian should do anything together, not for a while anyway. Apart from his own style, Brian shares that cheeky, family friendly campness and sense of mischief that Ant and Dec made into an art-form. This and his amazing love of pop music and celebrity mean he really has found his Eldorado.
Feefs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
journalists, pesky, tricks