Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 27-12-2011, 12:38 PM #1

Thumbs down Anuj Bidve killer Kiaran Stapleton to appeal against sentence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-16337361

Quote:
A teenager has been arrested in connection with the shooting of a 23-year-old student from India in an "unprovoked attack" in Salford.

The suspect, 17, is being held after Anuj Bidve was shot at close range in the early hours of Monday.

Mr Bidve was with nine students, all Indians, when they were approached by two men in Ordsall Lane.

Following a "very short" conversation, one of the men pulled out a handgun and shot the Lancaster University student.

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) said the suspect was detained in the early hours after a warrant was executed in the Salford area.

A post-mortem examination has revealed Mr Bidve died as a result of "gun trauma" to the head.

Police have not confirmed what was said during the short conversation between the killer and his victim.

Detectives are continuing to make house-to-house inquiries and are reviewing CCTV footage.

Mr Bidve's brother-in-law Rakesh Sonawane, 30, speaking from the family's home town of Pune in Maharashtra, said the family had "lost faith in everything".

"Anuj had been very happy," said Mr Sonawane. "It was his dream to go to the UK but unfortunately his dream could not last longer than three months."

Mr Bidve, who had arrived in the UK in September after completing an electronics degree at Pune University, had planned to return to India "to serve his nation" following his postgraduate studies in Lancaster.

Mr Bidve's father, Subhash, has called on the UK government to speed up the process of returning Anuj's body to India.

The family said it had tried to contact the Indian High Commission in London but the office was closed for Christmas.

Greater Manchester Police said a group of male and female students - who had been spending Christmas at a nearby hotel - made witness statements about his killing.

Lancaster University has confirmed Mr Bidve was a postgraduate student who was studying micro-electronics.
What a waste of what would have been a socially useful and hopefully happy life .....

His young friends, too, will have to live with the images of the shocking incident for the rest of their lives .....

Last edited by Omah; 08-10-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Omah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 03:00 PM #2

Arrow Second teen held after Anuj Bidve shot dead in Salford

Quote:
A second teenager has been arrested in connection with the shooting of a 23-year-old student from India in an "unprovoked attack" in Salford.

A 16-year-old boy is being questioned along with a 17-year-old, arrested earlier over the killing of Anuj Bidve in the early hours of Monday
The shooting happened at 1.35am near a 24/7 McDonald’s - and there has been another in the same area recently .....
Old 27-12-2011, 03:08 PM #3
Z

Z

This is appalling! My heart goes out to his family... people in this country need a bloody education on tolerance - this screams racially motivated murder and I find that unacceptable. Racism is a learned behaviour, you're not born racist!
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 03:52 PM #4

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Its a rough area, like the northern equivalent of Croydon. If anyone is brave enough to walk through there at 1.35am, well ...

Funny that BBC Media City is literally at the end of that road with some pretty well off people living there too (was there myself for a short while so know the local area quite well). Talk about culture clash

Last edited by Tom; 27-12-2011 at 03:53 PM.
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 05:07 PM #5

Yes if this a Racial Murder
then its so wrong.

Its a Evil Killing.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 12:38 AM #6

Arrow Third arrest made after Anuj Bidve shot dead in Salford

Quote:
A third person has been arrested in connection with the shooting of a 23-year-old student from India in an "unprovoked attack" in Salford.

The latest arrest, a man held on suspicion of murder, came after two boys, aged 16 and 17, were held over the killing of Anuj Bidve on Monday.
Old 28-12-2011, 02:18 AM #7

Unhappy

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1hnNvGC1w

Quote:
The gifted university student gunned down in front of his friends by a stranger had just been asked by him for the time.

Anuj Bidve responded politely but the man pulled out a gun, placed it against his head and pulled the trigger.

After the Indian-born electronics student, from a wealthy Delhi family, fell to the pavement, his two attackers fled into the night.

Mr Bidve – who had not been drinking – had strayed into a rough inner-city district in Salford during a night out in Manchester.

His friends desperately tried to give him first aid as armed police arrived at the scene and launched a widespread manhunt.

Witness Sheetal Patel, 25, said she held Mr Bidve’s hand as he lay dying in the street.

The cake maker had been driving past when the student’s friends waved down her car.

‘When we arrived at the scene, the guy was lying on the floor,’ she said. ‘I was holding his hand, but he was alive.

He was making noises. All I was saying is, “You’re very strong, you’re going to be all right”.

‘We just kept on trying to keep him breathing and to make him know that we were there.

There was one guy holding Anuj’s head trying to put pressure on the wound. And there was another guy who was on the phone to the police.’

Miss Patel said that ‘he was shot in the head, but the bullet didn’t go through his head’ and there did not appear to be an exit wound. ‘We all thought he was going to live,’ she added.
Just ..... tragic .....
Old 28-12-2011, 03:40 AM #8
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

This nation and it's too many of its citizens are fast becoming a cess pit of all that could ever be wrong with people.

I'm now at the point where I want the death sentence brought back - something has got to be a deterrent and get scum like this off the face of the earth for good.
Pyramid* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 05:00 AM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
This nation and it's too many of its citizens are fast becoming a cess pit of all that could ever be wrong with people.

I'm now at the point where I want the death sentence brought back - something has got to be a deterrent and get scum like this off the face of the earth for good.
Yeah, I agree ..... I was born and brought up a liberal leftie but the actions of certain elements (at all levels) of society are turning me rabid right-winger .....
Old 28-12-2011, 05:06 AM #10
Pyramid*

Pyramid*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omah View Post
Yeah, I agree ..... I was born and brought up a liberal leftie but the actions of certain elements (at all levels) of society are turning me rabid right-winger .....
I'm being deadly serious. This softly softly approach that is being meted out - lenient sentences (if at all), prisoners with all mod cons, with every benefit gonig with the except of the freedom to being able to roam the streets stealing, mugging, drug dealing, murdering, abusing whenever they want to do that got them banged up in the first place - it's a complete farce.

We are living in a world full of absolute savages and it's getting worse The bloody Arabs have the right idea and I'm not altogether joking either.with every passing year.
Pyramid* is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 08:36 AM #11
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
I'm being deadly serious. This softly softly approach that is being meted out - lenient sentences (if at all), prisoners with all mod cons, with every benefit gonig with the except of the freedom to being able to roam the streets stealing, mugging, drug dealing, murdering, abusing whenever they want to do that got them banged up in the first place - it's a complete farce.

We are living in a world full of absolute savages and it's getting worse The bloody Arabs have the right idea and I'm not altogether joking either.with every passing year.
Could you provide some facts and figures to back up that claim?
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 10:11 AM #12

Arrow Four held over student's gun death

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukp...1325027782885A

Quote:
A fourth person has been arrested by police investigating the fatal shooting of an Indian student
Old 28-12-2011, 10:22 AM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
Could you provide some facts and figures to back up that claim?

Its in some areas only.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-12-2011, 02:08 PM #14
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

I think I served that guy when he came into the shop once

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 09:57 AM #15

Default Anuj Bidve Salford shooting: Fifth person arrested

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-16351780

Quote:
A fifth person has been arrested over the fatal shooting of a student in Salford early on Boxing Day.

The 20-year-old man is being questioned on suspicion of murdering Anuj Bidve, who was shot in the head at close range in Ordsall Lane.

Four teenagers arrested earlier also remain in custody, police have said.

They include a 16-year-old boy, two 17-year-old boys and a 19-year old man.
Old 29-12-2011, 03:34 PM #16

Default Anuj Bidve Salford shooting was 'hate crime', police say

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-16351780

Quote:
Ch Supt Kevin Mulligan, divisional commander for Salford, said: "We have not established a clear motive for the senseless murder of Anuj and there is no definitive evidence pointing to it being racially-motivated.

"However, we are treating this as a hate crime based on the growing perceptions within the community it was motivated by hate."
Old 30-12-2011, 03:36 PM #17

Default Anuj Bidve murder: Police apologise for Facebook death news

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-16367931

Quote:
A police chief has apologised to the father of an Indian student shot in the head on Boxing Day after it emerged he found out about the murder on Facebook.

Anuj Bidve, 23, was shot dead at close range in Ordsall Lane in Salford, Greater Manchester, in the early hours.

Assistant Chief Constable Dawn Copley said Mr Bidve's father read a post on the social-networking site before officers were able to deliver the news.

A £50,000 reward has been offered by police to find the killer.

Three teenagers arrested on suspicion of murder have been released on bail.

A fourth teenager, aged 19, and a 20-year-old man are still being questioned by detectives.

ACC Copley said: "That is not the way anyone should have to find out something so devastating and we completely understand how upset the family are.

"Social networking is instantaneous and we have no control over when and what people post on such sites, but no-one should hear such tragic news in this way."
It's not the cop's fault .....
Old 01-01-2012, 08:09 PM #18

Default Anuj Bidve murder: Man charged

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16380066

Quote:
A 20-year-old man has been charged with the murder of the Indian student Anuj Bidve, who was shot in the head in Salford on Boxing Day.

Kiaran Stapleton, from Ordsall, will appear at City of Manchester Magistrates' Court on Monday.

Assistant Chief Constable Dawn Copley, who has overall command of the inquiry, told a news conference: "This remains a complex investigation and the fact we have charged someone does not mean the investigation is complete.

"As such, we are still asking for the public to contact us with any information they may have and there remains a £50,000 reward outstanding."

A total of five people have been arrested by police. On Saturday, a 19-year-old man was bailed until the end of March, while three others, a 16-year-old boy and two 17-year-old boys, were also released on bail pending further inquiries.
Old 02-01-2012, 11:44 AM #19

Default Anuj Bidve killing: Kiaran 'Psycho' Stapleton remanded

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-16380751

Quote:
A man describing himself as "Psycho Stapleton" has appeared in court charged with murdering student Anuj Bidve who was shot dead on Boxing Day.

Kiaran Stapleton, 20, of Salford, was remanded in custody by Manchester magistrates over the death of the 23-year-old in Ordsall Lane, Salford.

When asked his name in court, Mr Stapleton replied: "Psycho. Psycho Stapleton."

The defendant, wearing a grey T-shirt and grey jogging bottoms and flanked by two police officers, then confirmed his date of birth.

Prosecutor Ben Southam told the court the case had to be sent to Manchester Crown Court as the Mr Stapleton was charged with murder.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:03 AM #20

Default Anuj Bidve murder accused Kiaran Stapleton at crown court

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-16388056

Quote:
A man accused of murdering Indian student Anuj Bidve in Salford on Boxing Day has been remanded in custody again after appearing at crown court.

At Tuesday's hearing, Mr Stapleton appeared on screen from HMP Manchester.

Judge Michael Henshell remanded him in custody until his plea and case management hearing, also by videolink, on 20 March.

A provisional date was set for 25 June at Manchester Crown Court.

Five people have so far been arrested by police in connection with the inquiry. Three teenagers, one aged 16 and two aged 17, have been released on bail.

A 19-year-old man has had his bail "cancelled", police said.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:16 PM #21
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
Its a rough area, like the northern equivalent of Croydon. If anyone is brave enough to walk through there at 1.35am, well ...

Funny that BBC Media City is literally at the end of that road with some pretty well off people living there too (was there myself for a short while so know the local area quite well). Talk about culture clash
I was on a course in Nottingham a few years back. I was staying in an hotel and was quite badly mugged on my way back one evening. The police told me I shouldn't have been walking round that area on my own after dark. I'd never been to Nottingham before. If you aren't acquainted with an area, it's hard to know how safe or how dangerous it is.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:55 AM #22

Angry Kiaran Stapleton admits killing Indian student Anuj Bidve

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18294242

Quote:
The man accused of murdering Indian student Anuj Bidve has pleaded guilty to his manslaughter.

Kiaran Stapleton, 21, of Ordsall, Salford admitted shooting the postgraduate on 26 December 2011.

Stapleton pleaded not guilty to murder but guilty to manslaughter by reason of diminished responsibility at Manchester Crown Court.

Mr Bidve, 23, was with friends in Ordsall when Stapleton walked up and shot him in the head at close range.

A trial has been set for 25 June at Manchester Crown Court.
"diminished responsibility", my a*** .....
Old 01-06-2012, 10:06 AM #23

Favourites:
BBUSA17: John

Favourites:
BBUSA17: John

This world is full of sick people
Marc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:16 AM #24
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Hmmmmm lets have a look at diminished responsibility...
http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/h_to_k/h...er/#diminished

QUOTE:
Abnormality of mental functioning means a state of mind so different from that of ordinary human beings that the reasonable person would term it abnormal. It covers the ability to exercise willpower or to control physical acts in accordance with rational judgement.

The new section 2(1)(b) states that the abnormality of mental functioning must have substantially impaired the defendant's ability to do one or more of those things as mentioned in the new section 2(1A):

a) to understand the nature of the defendant's conduct;
b) to form a rational judgement;
c) to exercise self-control.

Well...It seems you can now get away with murder...If you are thick!

Last edited by Kizzy; 01-06-2012 at 10:29 AM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:39 PM #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
This world is full of sick people
The world is a safer place today than it ever has been we just hear about the negative things more than we used to due to technology.

Last edited by billy123; 01-06-2012 at 06:40 PM.
billy123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
anuj, bidve, dead, held, indian, salford, shot, student, teens