Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB9 Celebrity Big Brother 9 on Channel 5, was shown January 2012 and won by Denise Welch. Discuss the series here.

Old 28-01-2012, 12:04 AM #26

I'm American, and I don't feel like there's a bias towards American houseguests. The twins were just awful human beings (but great Television, good job keeping them in til the end and voting them out first on the finale) and I don't quite understand why Michael was booed as much as he was, but I don't think he should have won. I guess the same people that thought Denise would make a good winner, were the ones that didn't like Michael. I feel like if there's ever an American housemate that deserves to win and doesn't, then you might be able to make this argument, but until then, I say keep chucking them in. I at least appreciate seeing celebrities that I know who they are.
US Nacho is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:05 AM #27
Piertotum Locomotor

Favourites:
BB14 USA: Britney

Piertotum Locomotor

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R View Post
The racism (and yes in my eyes it is total racism) towards the americans we have seen on this show both by the housemates and also on some of the discussions on BOTS I could see less of them willing to come over to be on the show.
It's more apparant now than it ever has been before. I wouldn't blame the Americans for never wanting to take part in CBB ever again, a lot of the narrow minded public will hate them regardless of their personality.
Callum is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:05 AM #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
The ironic thing about all of it is that these xenophobic ***** are not welcome in this country. We are a multicultural society and anybody that opposes that or thinks it is acceptable to discriminate against anyone for any reason whatsoever can **** right off.
You making it sound like its imported. Its not. Its a local thing, it comes from right here.

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat!

Wildcat! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:06 AM #29
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat! View Post
Xenophobia is huge here. But the main problem is, a lot of you people dont want to accept it. i have been making the point here forever, but some of you are quick to brush it under the carpet, because no way are the uk people like that right? . When you accept that its there, you can make progress. Americans also have their issues with it, but they dont try to brush it off, because its embarrassing.

But after, this series, pretty hard to pretend it doesnt exist. Because even after some of what I have seen in the past, I have been TRUlly shocked with stuff Ive read tonight. I couldnt really comment BEing quite speechless.
Me too, I can't believe some of the things I've read tonight

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:09 AM #30
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat! View Post
You making it sound like its imported. Its not. Its a local thing, it comes from right here.
Not entirely sure what you mean by that.

I know it exists all around the world, I just mean that in terms of it in our country...it isn't welcome here.
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:10 AM #31
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Nacho View Post
I'm American, and I don't feel like there's a bias towards American houseguests. The twins were just awful human beings (but great Television, good job keeping them in til the end and voting them out first on the finale) and I don't quite understand why Michael was booed as much as he was, but I don't think he should have won. I guess the same people that thought Denise would make a good winner, were the ones that didn't like Michael. I feel like if there's ever an American housemate that deserves to win and doesn't, then you might be able to make this argument, but until then, I say keep chucking them in. I at least appreciate seeing celebrities that I know who they are.
Hmm I don't mind if people don't like the Twins because of their personalities but I've seen a lot of people who use their nationality against them, and this idea that Denise, Gareth and Frankie being the top 3 is somehow a victory for Britain(!) has also been said tonight, which is also ridiculous
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:10 AM #32

Quote:
The racism (and yes in my eyes it is total racism) towards the americans we have seen on this show both by the housemates and also on some of the discussions on BOTS I could see less of them willing to come over to be on the show.
Oh come on, it was PAINFULLY obvious that neither the twins or Michael had the slightest clue what they were doing when they went into the house. If you ever get a celebrity from America that actually knows the first thing about the format of the show or the culture surrounding it, then maybe you might have a point. But I'd imagine all they hear about the offer is "You get to go to England for 3 weeks and live in a house with other celebrities and be filmed 24/7 and get paid x amount of money. Anything beyond that is going to be lost on practically anyone from America, celebrity or not.

By the way, American is not a race.
Old 28-01-2012, 12:13 AM #33

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Aubrey O’Day
BB17: Jason

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callum View Post
It's more apparant now than it ever has been before. I wouldn't blame the Americans for never wanting to take part in CBB ever again, a lot of the narrow minded public will hate them regardless of their personality.
It really was so apparent especially after the pants incident (a even early on with the fighting with Micheal) that this anti american sentiment started to brew and it almost became a 'vote for a british winner or your a trator to your country' competition.

Denise winning reinforces that its right to treat people who arn't the same as you exactly as how YOU please which very insular. Her saying 'well this is how we do it where I'm from' is ridiculous, you should try and accommodate other peoples cultures and personalities. Most other housemates managed it!
David R is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:13 AM #34

Wheres all these Xenophobic posts? i presume lots of bans have been handed out for it?
unless of course sour grapes are affecting some peoples judgement.

The twins were bitches i didnt like them at all michael was a good housemate who finished ahead of most people in the house but was a bit grumpy which cost him votes and i wouldnt have voted for him.
does that make me a Xenophobe?

some of the slapped arse attitudes on here have been as disgusting as some of the accusations thrown around on here tonight.

Last edited by billy123; 28-01-2012 at 12:16 AM.
billy123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:16 AM #35
R.I.P. Kerry

R.I.P. Kerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnot View Post
Wheres all these Xenophobic posts?
I keep reading claims of it happening, I just haven't found any evidence so far..
Visage is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:17 AM #36

facebook mainly, where the intellectually challenged dwell because they don't have the know how to sign up to a forum
King Gizzard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:21 AM #37

Lets hope they do. They should. These planks use them as a draw then paint them as villains. A big 2 fingers would be nice... then see how you do.

The favourites were obvious from day 1. Natalie got a fun task and Denise Welch was the final "big" arrival... (not the Kill Bill, Resevoir Dogs actor) the Corrie, loose women alchy. Nuff said.
LessThanMe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:22 AM #38

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by US Nacho View Post
Oh come on, it was PAINFULLY obvious that neither the twins or Michael had the slightest clue what they were doing when they went into the house. If you ever get a celebrity from America that actually knows the first thing about the format of the show or the culture surrounding it, then maybe you might have a point. But I'd imagine all they hear about the offer is "You get to go to England for 3 weeks and live in a house with other celebrities and be filmed 24/7 and get paid x amount of money. Anything beyond that is going to be lost on practically anyone from America, celebrity or not.

By the way, American is not a race.
All the more reason that the British housemates should be good hosts and accomodate the american personalities. The format wasnt the problem for them, it was the few insular housemates who would not except that everyone isn't like their mates down the local street or pub! Just because its OK to pull your mates pants down doesnt mean is OK to do that with everyone you have a few drinks with!

American isn't a race in the same way British isn't a race (do you know how many times this island has been invaded!) but its still considered racism when you treat foreigners in an unaccommodating way.
Old 28-01-2012, 12:22 AM #39

*Dont i meant obviously
Old 28-01-2012, 12:23 AM #40
Piertotum Locomotor

Favourites:

Piertotum Locomotor

Favourites:

Quote:
It really was so apparent especially after the pants incident (a even early on with the fighting with Micheal) that this anti american sentiment started to brew and it almost became a 'vote for a british winner or your a trator to your country' competition.

Denise winning reinforces that its right to treat people who arn't the same as you exactly as how YOU please which very insular. Her saying 'well this is how we do it where I'm from' is ridiculous, you should try and accommodate other peoples cultures and personalities. Most other housemates managed it!
Yes 100%. People were quick to defend Denise in pantsgate because of her British nature and that's when I thought she could win this. You're totally right, it did become like that and there were people on Facebook saying similar things like A vote for Denise is a vote for Britain etc. It made me feel sick. The comments only got worse from then on, accusations left right and centre of American viewers rigging the votes by using false IP addresses. People could not stomach the thought of a British person voting to save the Americans. It was utterly uncomprehensible that a person of British nationality would vote for an American.

So true and I can only see it getting worse from now on sadly. There are way too many narrow minded people in the UK who hold the view that only a British housemate should win.
Old 28-01-2012, 12:31 AM #41

Her British nature?

I sided with Denise because I didn't feel she deserved the kind of backlash she got because she didn't do what she did out of malice and apologised when she realised she'd upset Karissa. We all do stupid things when we're drunk.

It's fine to debate your point using evidence of xenophobia, but to bring up every incident that involved British and American housemates and suggest that the British party was supported on grounds of the fact that they're British is pathetic.

Apart from Jermaine and Latoya Jackson I've never liked any of the American housemates as people, does that make me a xenophobe? No. It means that all the American celebs they're signing up are people I don't like.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:35 AM #42

Quote:
So true and I can only see it getting worse from now on sadly. There are way too many narrow minded people in the UK who hold the view that only a British housemate should win.
They have to be racially abused to stand a chance. I guarantee Jade would've won had she not been... well, the real Jade. The same Jade that was a fkuking idiot in BB3.

Anyway, I was over the moon when Aaron won and that was gonna be my final series. I watched this CBB cause it was so soon after but its the same bias ****.

If C5 had their way it would've been... Katona/McKray/Welch. I see a pattern here. Well, Mr Desmond... you can shove your chavs up your a**e you utter scrotum
Old 28-01-2012, 12:35 AM #43

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

@Callum

Yeah is a really sad situation when people cannot comprehend why you would support or backup anyone other than a brit.

All this sentiment kicks off them bamb the two americans go out first on final night, go figure. The way the voting suddenly swung 360 degrees in the last weeks make a mockery of the whole show. Just look how many times the twins were saved in the prior weeks and they had been just as bitchy and overconfident.

Last edited by David R; 28-01-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 28-01-2012, 12:37 AM #44

Favourites (more):
CBB 11: Speidi
CBB 10: Julian Clary

Favourites (more):
CBB 11: Speidi
CBB 10: Julian Clary

Quote:
Yes 100%. People were quick to defend Denise in pantsgate because of her British nature and that's when I thought she could win this. You're totally right, it did become like that and there were people on Facebook saying similar things like A vote for Denise is a vote for Britain etc. It made me feel sick. The comments only got worse from then on, accusations left right and centre of American viewers rigging the votes by using false IP addresses. People could not stomach the thought of a British person voting to save the Americans. It was utterly uncomprehensible that a person of British nationality would vote for an American.

Agreed. BOTS last night & the night before just convinced that there is something horribly wrong with this country. There was a bit where Emma Willis was interviewing Tricia Penrose (Denise's friend) and she blamed all of her friend's problems on Michael & the twins. And then at one point Pete Burns (eurrgh) just simply said 'Get the Yanks out!' to which every one in the crowd just cheered and applauded as if he were defending Britain from mass invasion. It was truly horrible.
dathadiguy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:37 AM #45
Focus

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
DOI 2018: Kem Cetinay

Focus

Favourites (more):

ŁŁŁ

or should I say

$$$

Jords is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:39 AM #46
Focus

Favourites (more):

Focus

Favourites (more):

What is all this **** about xenophobia the twins and Michael MADE THE FREAKING FINAL.

Jords is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2012, 12:39 AM #47

It's laughable that some people think that there are enough Americans watching (and falsely voting) to have an impact on the vote. Seriously, there just aren't that many of us. I brought it up at the last meeting and there's only like a dozen of us total.
Old 28-01-2012, 12:41 AM #48

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathadiguy View Post
Agreed. BOTS last night & the night before just convinced that there is something horribly wrong with this country. There was a bit where Emma Willis was interviewing Tricia Penrose (Denise's friend) and she blamed all of her friend's problems on Michael & the twins. And then at one point Pete Burns (eurrgh) just simply said 'Get the Yanks out!' to which every one in the crowd just cheered and applauded as if he were defending Britain from mass invasion. It was truly horrible.
The way Pete burns turned on a dime really pissed me off because it you look a few night before he was loving the twins saying they were amazing serious business women and that they took no crap from anyone. Suddenly a brit gets shouted at and its get the yanks out!

Total bloody sheep, he didn't want to look unpatriotic so he changed his tune to please the audience and general public sentiment. Have some balls and stick to your conviction.
Old 28-01-2012, 12:41 AM #49
Piertotum Locomotor

Favourites:

Piertotum Locomotor

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08marsh View Post
Her British nature?

I sided with Denise because I didn't feel she deserved the kind of backlash she got because she didn't do what she did out of malice and apologised when she realised she'd upset Karissa. We all do stupid things when we're drunk.

It's fine to debate your point using evidence of xenophobia, but to bring up every incident that involved British and American housemates and suggest that the British party was supported on grounds of the fact that they're British is pathetic.

Apart from Jermaine and Latoya Jackson I've never liked any of the American housemates as people, does that make me a xenophobe? No. It means that all the American celebs they're signing up are people I don't like.
Why are you assuming that I'm accusing you of being a xenophobe? I know you're not and it's perfectly acceptable to dislike the Americans just because you find them uninteresting but I'm talking about the people who have hate for the American housemates because of where they come from.

Lots of people did side with Denise though because of her British nature, it's the whole "she's one of us" attitude that automatically puts Denise in the right and the twins in the wrong.
Old 28-01-2012, 12:43 AM #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dathadiguy View Post
Didnt see that. How effing disgraceful.

Pete Burns... a walking barbie. Poor little thing. He's got to stay relevant somehow. Seen as the dregs of society go on that show he's right at home.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
american, bother, cbb, celebs, future