Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB2 Brian Dowling, Helen and Paul, Dean and the rest of the Big Brother 2 housemates from 2001.

Old 06-01-2002, 12:32 AM #1

Default Big Brother Small World

I've just finished watching Big Brother Small World - I videoed it cos I was out.

I actually found it really interesting and enjoyed it.

Some people may be disappointed that there were no 'Paul and Helen holding hands on the sofa' shots, but I thought the snippets of interviews that we saw, from all the housemates not just them, were really good.

I liked Davina's comment about Paul and Helen getting a move on to produce the next Big Brother baby. Davina admitted that she was completely hooked on the Paul and Helen relationship while they were in the house - she's as bad as us!

It also put a few minds at rest as to the format of the next show. It's good to see it's not going to be in a studio like the Sun had suggested (but then when do we ever believe them anyway) and Davina also said there would be 10 contestants and implied that she would be presenting it. So much for the rumours. Couldn't tell much about the house from a deserted building site, but it was still interesting to see it - though I'm not quite sure why!!

All in all an interesting show. I enjoyed seeing some of the snippets from the other countries, showing what the other housemates were like, and also the other houses.

I think ours (both housemates and house) were the best by a long way, but then I'm completely biased and admit it.

LEE is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 02:29 PM #2

I was also very pleasantly surprised about how much i enjoyed it.....nice 2 c a number of x housemates as well as h/p of course.......still hopelessly in love. No joint interview tho

I also thought amma analysis of her and stus arguement was good....Good 2 c Davina intends 2 retun 2 bb , she said similiar on radio 2 on Fri
litsiswithwheels is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 08:32 PM #3

I knew the programme was going to be good when the first shots showed Davina - great to see her back on TV.

I couldn't help watching out for the way she talks after seeing Ronni Ancona's impersonation of her on Alistair McGowan's show though!

The only criticism I had was that I'd havce liked to see the "analysis" bit being done by more down-to-earth people than Germaine Greer and the Sun journalists.

Helen sooooo hasn't changed since she was in the house though has she?? And I mean that as a good thing. I luuuurved Brian's quip at the end about the gay, camp person on BB3 as well.

I wonder when BB Reveals More is going to be repeated on C4??
kaphc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 09:06 PM #4

No Anna from BB1? No Bubble from BB2? No hand holding from Helen and Paul?
Janette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2002, 09:33 PM #5
Administrator

Administrator

I have to say that, although I did enjoy the programme, I was more than a little disappointed at how few British BB clips were shown. OK we had snippets of interviews with them, but again they probably only showed a fraction of these - perhaps they have plans in the pipeline to show more - lets hope so anyway.

For example, Davina announced that after the break the programme would be looking at how couples found love in the BB houses. They then had a snippet of Paul mentioning the night when he realised he really fancied Helen, and then Helen clapping her hands and saying "Mr Clarke, he's lovely". But after the break, there was no follow-on at all - only information on foreign BB couples. I found this very disappointing.

It was also disappointing that H&P weren't interviewed jointly. They had Darren and Nichola in the same room, and Stuart and Amma - the programme makers must have realised that everyone wanted to see H&P together - spoilsports!!

As for the sexual antics, these left me completely cold. What on earth was that ?Norweigan bloke dancing about with only a belt on doing? I'm afraid that if anything like that had happened in the British BB, I would have been reaching for the off button. Thank goodness Helen and Paul had more self-respect.

I was glad to hear, however, that Davina would be doing BB3 - it just wouldn't be the same without her.
Kaz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 02:51 AM #6

Helen was her usual lovely, bubbly self. Paul just enforced why I don't like him. Brian was Brian. Amma looks more and more stunning everytime I see her.
Girlie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 07:20 AM #7

I agree with you about Amma Girlie, I think she's looking really good now, that hair style really suits her.

Fairly predictably though, I disagree with you about Paul , I thought he was lovely and came over really well.
Old 07-01-2002, 08:03 AM #8

yeah Amma is one gorgeous girl
niley is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 02:45 PM #9

Quote:
Originally posted by Girlie
Paul just enforced why I don't like him.
Now I know I'm going to regret asking this, but how just did Paul reinforce your (strange and unfathomable) reasons for not liking him?

He sat there looking stunning, tanned relaxed. He was really nice, cheerful and straightforward, even in the highly edited presentation we were given.

I know you like Helen, and I agree, she's lovely. I think you should give her more credit in her choice of partner. Let's examine the evidence:

Positives:
She observed him and weighed him up closely for eight weeks. She's now been living with him for 4 1/2 months and she obviously adores him. He obviously really loves her, is proud of her and doesn't resent her success at all.

Look at how Helen developed in the house in Paul's company. She was so much calmer, and as we have discussed elsewhere, glowing! He was very gentle, encouraging and protective with her. In her company, towards the end away fell his 'laddish' exterior, revealing a sweet guy who was an absolute gentleman..

I saw the stories that her former boyfriends wrote - now they were absolute gits. I always felt a bit sorry for Big G I admit, but I think he was a 'father figure', controlling sort of guy who had stopped her developing her independance.

Certainly Rhoda said as soon as she met him that Paul was a much better boyfirend for Helen. If Big G had been cooling down and only did start showing more interest in her just because she was going on BB, then he almost deserved the outcome he got. (Although, Good Grief, how humiliating for him!)

Helen's mum said Big G used Helen as 'arm candy' and that none of her boyfriends had appreciated her for her 'fantastic personality'. This was said before Paul had made his famous 'fancying her for her personality' speech.

Oh, yes, and he gave her those Gucci shoes and handbag, declared his undying love on national TV and radio, didn't take advantage of her when he SO could have. (sorry H, you have a selective memory when it comes to whether you would have or not. You would!)

Negatives about Paul:

He's a bit gauche
He doesn't express himself terribly well at times and consequently is misinterpreted
He is a bit vain
There's only one of him and he's twenty five years too young for me

So let's recap, yes, I can see it all now Girlie. the guy is obviously a complete bounder.

He can bound over here anytime he likes.
:thu mbs:
Romantic Old Bird is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 02:57 PM #10
Administrator

Administrator

I agree you'll probably regret asking the question, R.O.B., but just had to say that your description of Paul is spot on.

I would add that I think Paul and Helen have brought out the best in each other, and this just goes to show how perfectly suited to each other they are.

Paul is a complete gentleman, and Helen is one lucky, lucky girl.
Kaz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 03:30 PM #11

I did feel a bit sorry for Big G too, but not that sorry. I felt he had it coming to him, but there are plenty more out there like him, and it was only him that had to endure tv humiliation. I mean, having a nation cheering when Helen said "That doesn't bother me" must be quite hard to take. Not exactly a comedy moment, so not eligible for a Smirnoff thingy, but those few throwaway words beat anything that Brian said all series in the put-down stakes.

Nation apart, the way Helen's mum seemed so keen to take Paul under her wing and the fact that he got his own t-shirt made by her friends made it pretty clear they weren't too upset to see the back of Big G either. Still, the whole nation did cheer, which says something. If nothing else, lets hope that gives some of the others out there like Big G something to think about.

I'm really annoyed I forgot to record this program. I stayed at my boyfriends this weekend, and he didn't mind watching it with me, but it did limit my ability to admire Paul's loveliness on the screen. I had intended to watch the program casually, only drawing attention to the funny differences between countries, then repeatedly watch the best bits in the privacy of my own home like any decent obsessive would.
Feefs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 05:52 PM #12

I did feel a bit sorry for him until he said in the Daily mirror when asked about other girls, "that he had to see other girls because H was always too busy for him" oooohhhh pur.....lease!!! What an idiot
chilledbootz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 06:40 PM #13

I never knew he said that. What a git! The only thing he had going for him was sympathy, but he wasn't bright enough to cast doubt on Helen's concerns. All traces of sympathy for public humiliation during the Summer are now gone.

I did think it was very clever the way Helen didn't refer to Big G on BBSM, but instead her 'situation'. Hmmm.

I hope if he has learned his lesson he can move on. I feel sorry for him in that he'd have to be really careful about what tv he watched. If he saw Helen being asked about him on the Big Breakfast it could be quite upsetting. I mean, I know Paul is much more lovely, but studio cheering and talk of shrines would make an unhumilated ex feel inadequate.

This has got me thinking. I'm off to start a new thread about how you'd feel if an ex appeared on BB.
Feefs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 08:48 PM #14

Watching BB2 I never really objected to Paul, he was quite sweet sometimes, remember when Narinder was poorly and he went to her asking if he could do anything for her and then he kissed her arm!
Ok he was laddish, and showed off at the start, his behaviour with Penny left a bit to be desired, but he never slagged anyone off, never took sides, never bitched about the others.
He's not my type, he's a bit boring with his long elaborated stories but there must be something good about him because Helen fell in love with him!
So give him a break, he's a decent lad who could have, but didn't, take advantage of a girl who was obviously willing to take things further! He's a gentleman!
Janette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 09:48 PM #15

Default Big G and Paul

I never felt at all sorry for Big G, he seemed more like a 'lad' than Paul- albeit older and more welsh. the stuff that he had in the tabloids whilst Helen was in the house seemed to be a 'look at me ' statement, her feelings were not considered. Agreed tho' with all ROB so eloquentlya said about Paul
blinkinlovely is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 10:38 PM #16

Default Inanimate objects.......

Paul rather reminded me of a big plank. Wooden, uninteresting, nothing to look at and totally devoid of life. Also everytime I see him with his bad hair choice and big sticky out ears, not to mention his awful gap-toothed grin, I am reminded of Bart Simpson but without the humour. All I can think is Helen WHY ??????. She could do so much better.
Girlie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-01-2002, 10:41 PM #17

Quote:
Helen WHY??????
Cos she has impeccable taste.
Old 07-01-2002, 10:44 PM #18
TiBB founder

TiBB founder

Quote from Helen
Quote:
Paul Clarke is a gentleman