Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:35 PM #1
User banned

User banned

Default How to solve 5 year recession?

5 years and still we are 10% poorer than we were in 2007/8

so what to do?

personally I see a few ideas

1) get as far as possible out of european rules than crucify small to medium businesses and its endless laws and 580 page constitution....however if the policy suits us , then go for it, this INCLUDES tighter regulations on financial sector. unsure about transaction taxes, as we probably cant afford that. maybe one day

2) apprenticeship schemes rolled out for 100s of thousands. forget mickey mouse, we need the biggest scheme ever

3) a concerted proactive government policy designed to rebuild our manufacturing industry, including coal, slate, steel, copper, everything needs to be looked at

4) turn th emagnifying glass of government aw\y from the poor and instead onto the multi multi milllionaires and billionaires
seriously close the endless loopholes on the richest.

5) jail corrupt bankers.

6) the credit checking compaanies like experian are doing more damage to the economy than anyone, these companies are totally inefficient and have far too many customers to credit check properly, this stop the flow of billions

personally Id cap the number of customers a bank in the UK can have...theyre all haste no speed, way way too greedy and inefficient. the service is appallling

the idiot politicians must understand you cant have a top down economy where the rich get richer and the poor get crumbs thrown to them....this nonsense has lead to financial armageddon

7) sliding scale tax every 5% up to 45% for the richest

8) freedom of speech. actually talk about the waste and mismanagement in the worlds biggest employer , the NHS. where the standard of nursing and general hygiene has collapsed, but no one dare speak about it

9) disabled access for the millions with mobility problems. disabled rights have disappeared off the radar for decades in favour of gay rights, womens rights and fox hunting. yet none of these groups suffers the combination of problems the disabled people do, they suffer physically , mentally, emotionally etc heck most Churches still have no access. 5 million claimed disability allowance. thats a lot of people who cant get around or get to work

10) do some of what obamas done. actually invest in key areas such as infrastrucuture projects like the roads, bridges, offer decent grants to small and medium businesses, work with local councils to get rates down

11) target corrupt inefficient unfit for purpose councils and social services. the way they operate is 100 years out of date....start with the water board the gas the electrical people digging up the roads AT THE SAME TIME. it cant be impossible

12) get out of afghanistan and avoid such a mindless war again. stop being the world police.

13) invest in small to medium businesses, provide dragon style investment and advice for entrepreneurs and inventors. how does a man invent an idea and then develop it? how many people really know the process? 1 in 100,000

small to medium business is the future

14) strengthen the regulatory bodies, especially the monopolies and mergers commission , who have totally failed. this weve seen the disastrous lloyds/tsb/bank of scotland style mergers which made it worse, but made easy money for the fat cats at the top

15)look long term for our children. forget windfarsms their a waste of space making money for landowners, destroying the landscape and producing 0.000001% energy . you could build 10 million it wouldstill make barely any difference. build the severn barrage. at £20 billion we would get an extra 20% energy forever. now that would have been an infinitely better long term investment than the £13 billion olympics

16) we need to stop mincing on the edges and attack the heart of these issues. discuss the morality and actually put the morality into law. we need a far more balanced economy with far more diversity, self reliance and industry. buying everything cheap abroad soon backfires when the price and demand or cartels form. such as hiding african gold to force prices up etc

17) other failed state departments include the police. really what are they for? their phone systems are a joke. theyre more interested n targets than fighting crime. they seem to be working for the government more than for the people too. the war on drugs has been abanoned in favour of arresting people for writing some drunken nonsense on twitter. their involvement in the news of the world scandal said it all.

18) EVERY single state organization must be judged and revied independently , having the police of health boards investigate themselves is a sick joke and must end. job centres and such like are way way too slow and burocratic. staff members must be more accountable. also bring back the back to work - workstep scheme., where the government subsidies a persons wage for 3 months when he starts a new job and helps towards training fees. excellent project that is

19) politicians stop cow towing to rich men. surround yourself with working class people, actually spend time in these areas

20) make it infinitely more difficult for lazy scroungers to simply breed their way into a 6 bedroom house with free everything. but these people need better education and greater ambition in the first place, so education is still key

21) stop lying. the truth shall set you free.
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:57 PM #2
0_o

0_o

To start with we need a major overhaul on the whole benefits system. Just not in the way they are doing it. Currently they are taking away from societies most vulnerable...the disabled. Yeah a few claim sickness benefits when they shouldnt, but by the DWPs own records the percentage of disability benefit fraud is something really low like 0.3%. Kicking people off the sick and onto jobseekers is not working...its making them more ill. Not sure if anyone saw the panorama and dispatches programs on ATOS, the company that do the 'medicals' but if not they are well worth a watch to see just how backwards this current system is.

I'm not entirely sure how to sort the problem of benefits however. There are not enough jobs to go around, that much is clear. However the way things are, many many people are actually better off NOT being in work than working even part time. This is not right and will not encourage people to get back into work, but again even if there was some way to get people into work...the jobs arent there :/

I do however, agree on the housing benefit cap. It is simply ridiculous that some are being paid over 30k in housing benefit every year. If you cannot afford to live in housing that costs that much, move. Dont expect the taxpayers to subsidise you.

They seriously need to scrap this apprenticeship crap though. £2 an hour for an 'apprenticeship' in sandwich making for subway? Load of tosh. Big companies are just using this as an excuse to pay below national minimum wage..and its wrong. You do not need an 'appenticeship' to serve sandwiches.

Also the government need to stop this ridiculous notion of making jobseekers work for free, for huge companies such as poundland and tescos..who should be filling their positions with PAID staff, they can afford to. This would get more people off the dole, as they would then be employed properly...obviously. Fair enough people who have been out of work for a long time should be made to do something, but why not send them to charity shops and such? No way should we be offering free labour to tescos just to boost their profits a bit.

Basically I have no idea what can be done. If the jobs arent there, people cannot work. If 3m or so people are out of work, they dont have money to spend to help put the economy right again.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 09-08-2012 at 03:59 PM.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:02 PM #3

I say stop abusing the benefits system. People coming into the country should be planning to work over here and the ones already here should be working, not claiming benefits. Save it for the people who genuinely are in need of the system.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:06 PM #4
0_o

0_o

Also, and this is going to be a very unpopular opinion but I will still say it. Stop increasing foreign aid. Cameron has pledged quite recently a raise in the amount we spend overseas...and we already send 12b a year over there but have yet to see much changes made, as the money (like when you give to charities) goes into the pockets of the richest, in the countries that are in dire need of help.

Instead of sending cash, send workers. So many nurses/farmers/builders out of work at the moment, pay those kinds of people to go and actually help these countries, to teach them and improve living conditions, rather than just throwing wads of cash at them and hoping it works out...it wont.
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 09-08-2012 at 04:07 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:10 PM #5
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
I say stop abusing the benefits system. People coming into the country should be planning to work over here and the ones already here should be working, not claiming benefits. Save it for the people who genuinely are in need of the system.
Not that easy. Nearly 3m unemployed and 400,000 jobs available.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-08-2012, 04:11 PM #6

"get out of afghanistan and avoid such a mindless war again. stop being the world police."

We are doing that
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:45 PM #7

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Vote Labour back in, they can spend money willy nilly again,bring us to our knees again,and some other sucker can try and stand us up again when it all goes belly up and they can take the blame again.and so it goes round and round!

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:50 PM #8
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Yep get labour back in! get the tories to stop privatising everything and expecting folk to work their asses off for little or nowt till they drop dead!
tories also outsourced all our industry and deregulated the banks so they could do what the eff they liked with our money.....great job!

Last edited by Kizzy; 09-08-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:00 PM #9
User banned

User banned

labour were a disgrace and so were the tories? then what?
Old 11-08-2012, 07:30 AM #10

I voted for Obama, i thought he was gonna fix it.

Last edited by lostalex; 11-08-2012 at 07:30 AM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:00 PM #11
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
I voted for Obama, i thought he was gonna fix it.
despite the doom and gloom obama has done a far better job than the british government, hes at leats taken general motors back to the top, heathcare to the poorest 40 million, invested in roads, manufacturing, stem cell research , hes fined these corrupt corporations and bankers too, british petroleum $35 billion fines, mortgage comapnies $25 billion in february, even goldman sachs fined $550 million last year etc and also made more progress overseas in iraq, afghanistan, libya etc and thankfully avoided iranian conflict so far. hes created 4 million private jobs
Old 11-08-2012, 02:37 PM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
despite the doom and gloom obama has done a far better job than the british government, hes at leats taken general motors back to the top, heathcare to the poorest 40 million, invested in roads, manufacturing, stem cell research , hes fined these corrupt corporations and bankers too, british petroleum $35 billion fines, mortgage comapnies $25 billion in february, even goldman sachs fined $550 million last year etc and also made more progress overseas in iraq, afghanistan, libya etc and thankfully avoided iranian conflict so far. hes created 4 million private jobs
well when you put it that way... sounds like he did a pretty good job. Maybe i should vote for him again

It doesn't feel like he's done such a great job though. healthcare isn't really any better than it ever was, Guantanamo is still open, he's done nothing to really curb Green House gases or put Amwrica on a new track to working with the rest of the world on reducing greenhouse gases. He came out in favor of gay marriage, but has taken no action to ACTUALLY give gay people equal rights...

I'd never vote for a republican, but i'm not exactly excited to vote for Obama eigther.

He drone strikes civilians all over the world, pisses off the Russians, pisses off the Pakistanis, pisses off everyone, then disappears and sends poor old Hillary in to clean up the mess and take the blame.

I've not been impressed.

Last edited by lostalex; 11-08-2012 at 02:46 PM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 03:30 PM #13
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
well when you put it that way... sounds like he did a pretty good job. Maybe i should vote for him again

It doesn't feel like he's done such a great job though. healthcare isn't really any better than it ever was, Guantanamo is still open, he's done nothing to really curb Green House gases or put Amwrica on a new track to working with the rest of the world on reducing greenhouse gases. He came out in favor of gay marriage, but has taken no action to ACTUALLY give gay people equal rights...

I'd never vote for a republican, but i'm not exactly excited to vote for Obama eigther.

He drone strikes civilians all over the world, pisses off the Russians, pisses off the Pakistanis, pisses off everyone, then disappears and sends poor old Hillary in to clean up the mess and take the blame.

I've not been impressed.
he took over a nightmare from that village idiot who created enemies worldwide. george w oversaw the collapse of the american economy and the US reputation worldwide. obama took the reins and did something massively brave, which wont get rewardfor years. he took the long term decisions to invest in the infrastructure and economy , whilst in the middle of a recession. I run businesses and you simply have to keep reinvesting in order to keep growing. to also pump 850 billion into healthcare fo rthe poorest at such a time was a decision of monumental braveness and morality.. its a delicate balance. obama has slashed state jobs and created 7 private jobs for every public sector job slashed. 4 million new jobs in 18 months...the stock market at its second highest point since 911

there are dozens of bills to deal with guantanamo and banking financial regulations, healthcare amendments all blocked by the republicans....guantanamo is over half closed now and in the next few years should close, obama has fought every step of the way to close it, as it harms the US reputation worldwide. no one is above international law. obama understands that, bush doesnt.

I truly believe obama has done what he said, hes gone through everything with a scalpel....cutting off the dead bits and fine tuning the areas that need help. gay people will get the right to marry , it will take time to hammer a deal, because they want to avoid situations where churches are in court battling for the right to say no. in the end , no matter what the law says, individual churches will make their own decisions. If obama does this right, gay people will be able to marry in any church that allows gay weddings , those who openly forbid gay weddings, will probably be ostracised. but ultimately thats their choice so I think obama will again use his scalpel to find this delicate balance

Theres millions of other groups who need better support too, the disabled are very poorly treated, access to buildings and basic equipment is very very poor in the UK, no doubt its similar in the US too.... ex servicemen in the UK are treated disgracefully. theres only 1 military hospital left? Obama should also look at mens issues, the enormous male suicide rate (4 times that of women) the early mortality rates (4 to 5 years men die younger than women) the tiny amount of support groups for sick men compared to women, fathers rights, men lose over 80% of divorce settlements , in over 80% they lose their children and their home. how can that be fair?

I will read up more on drones. lots of people throw that criticism. the problem is obama is the leader of the free world. the decisions he makes are beyond the comprehension of most people. every decision affects 100s of millions sometimes positively sometimes negatively.

I am also delighted to see he has rolled back the us military but 15% and started to disarm the nuclear arsenal of the US and russia by 40%...hes also ditched the europe wide defence missile systems....this is not a man hell bent on expanding worldwide imperialism imho..his main opponent is the right wing news which is paid for by the corporate giants who have taken over america and pollute your airwaves with their lies , hate, bias and poision...theyve taken to calling obama, the kenyan recently,, patheic

..romney would take you back to bush, maybe worse, Obama needs a second term, he deserves a second term and the US need him to win and follow through with his promise
usa usa usa usa usa usa
Old 12-08-2012, 05:07 PM #14

"romney would take "

Its Romney /Ryan.
Now

or Bankrupt Obama and that real old guy.
Old 12-08-2012, 05:37 PM #15
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazanne View Post
Vote Labour back in, they can spend money willy nilly again,bring us to our knees again,and some other sucker can try and stand us up again when it all goes belly up and they can take the blame again.and so it goes round and round!
Can I just add at this point this is a worldwide recession?
I am sure the americans here will agree, they don't simply point the finger at the previous UK Labour government for the global financial crisis...
Old 12-08-2012, 05:59 PM #16

"point the finger at the previous UK Labour government for the global financial crisis... "

I Fecking Will
Un Elected Brown Sold all our Gold off cheap.
Fecking Fool.

And he was found out
what he thought of a Lady
Up North
on a Live SkyNews mic.
he blamed sue - his New Labour PR

Last edited by arista; 12-08-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 06:04 PM #17

In USA
Paul Ryan is a Great Speaker
and works well with everyone.

Live On FoxNewsHD and CNN America

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
recession, solve, year