Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 20-06-2013, 11:48 AM #1

Lightbulb Controversy over chocolate 'dog poo' poster

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22982324 (video)

Quote:
A row has erupted online about a particularly graphic anti dog-fouling poster that has been used by some councils.

The advert, which shows a toddler appearing to eat dog mess, was created by a council in Wales and was then picked up by several other authorities.
Good .....
Omah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 11:52 AM #2
Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace
BB2023: Yinrun

Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace
BB2023: Yinrun

I think it's a good advert and gets the point across that children do just pick things up and put them in their mouths, so dog owners need to clean up after their dogs.

It's never too late to be who you once could have been...

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN

Anyway there's an explanation and I don't really appreciate your tone. It's very aggressive so I'm going to close this, sorry for killing the internet mate

Benjamin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 12:44 PM #3

Yes Dog Owners
that do not clean up
should be Fined £1,000
every time
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 12:45 PM #4
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Responsible dog owners already clear up after their dog. The kind of people who don't clear up after them are hardly going to be affected by this cynical shock-tactic. Waste of time and money, start imposing heavy fines instead.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 12:50 PM #5

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

Favourites (more):
Love Island 4: Eyal
DOI 2018: Alex Beresford

We have waste bins and Poop the scoop signs here and STILL some people leave their dog mess behind it infuriates me,such lazy,thoughtless people and the council are as bad for not following up on their policies.

RIP Pyramid, Andyman ,Kerry and Lex xx

https://www.facebook.com/JamesBulgerMT/?fref=photo

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, most people would be vegetarian"
Kazanne is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-06-2013, 12:52 PM #6

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Responsible dog owners already clear up after their dog. The kind of people who don't clear up after them are hardly going to be affected by this cynical shock-tactic. Waste of time and money, start imposing heavy fines instead.
How can you impose a fine on a dog-deposit?

If wardens are employed to try and catch dogs and their owners in the act, isn't that a much greater waste of time and money?

After all, many of the dog-deposits I come across are in rural or semi-rural areas where dog-owners drive out and then let their dogs loose - any warden would be spotted a mile away, unless, of course, they've gone "undercover" .....
Old 20-06-2013, 01:51 PM #7
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omah View Post
How can you impose a fine on a dog-deposit?

If wardens are employed to try and catch dogs and their owners in the act, isn't that a much greater waste of time and money?

After all, many of the dog-deposits I come across are in rural or semi-rural areas where dog-owners drive out and then let their dogs loose - any warden would be spotted a mile away, unless, of course, they've gone "undercover" .....

The child in that advert is clearly in a park. There isn't any reason not to have wardens regularly doing the rounds, and if you're fining people £1000 a time, then it's going to be cost-effective. In fact, parks should have park-keepers to sort this stuff out. Local authorities waste enough money on other projects, I think keeping playparks safe ought to be higher on their list of priorities.

I'm not sure what you can do about the people you describe as letting their dogs loose in rural and semi-rural areas, but then I suppose parents wouldn't be expected to let their toddlers wander around on their own in rural and semi-rural areas.
Old 20-06-2013, 02:29 PM #8

Arrow

Quote:
The child in that advert is clearly in a park. There isn't any reason not to have wardens regularly doing the rounds, and if you're fining people £1000 a time, then it's going to be cost-effective. In fact, parks should have park-keepers to sort this stuff out. Local authorities waste enough money on other projects, I think keeping playparks safe ought to be higher on their list of priorities.

I'm not sure what you can do about the people you describe as letting their dogs loose in rural and semi-rural areas, but then I suppose parents wouldn't be expected to let their toddlers wander around on their own in rural and semi-rural areas.
Erm, our local country wildlife park, although approached through a disused industrial site and residential areas, is comprised of one thousand six hundred (1600) acres of outstanding (rural and semi-rural) natural beauty and is an important recreational facility for residents and visitors alike. Thousands of children visit weekly, including those from several local schools, to make use of the innovative children's play area and join in the ranger-led walks, environmentally themed activities and annual events like the Family Sculpture Day. Recreational opportunities include walking, cycling, horse riding and water sports plus access for all cycles.

Inevitably, dog-owners turn up in their cars from dawn to dusk to release their dogs to run free and foul everywhere except the play area. Most owners will follow their dogs and pick up the mess, but some don't - but kids are encouraged to run free, too, and investigate the flora and fauna - inevitably, that occasionally brings them into contact with somebody's dog's thoughtlessly left excrement.

The park has rangers, but they can't be everywhere at once and they don't cover adjoining farms, which are also accessible to the public.

Last edited by Omah; 20-06-2013 at 02:42 PM.
Old 21-06-2013, 02:10 PM #9
V.I.P

Favourites (more):
BBCanada: Talla
CBB 11: Speidi

V.I.P

Favourites (more):
BBCanada: Talla
CBB 11: Speidi

Whatever little kid would go over and eat dog sh*t of the ground is probably lacking something in their brain anyway.

I'm sorry but it's just stupid. I can't picture any 2/3 year old that has been brought up properly with a basic understanding of right or wrong, eating dog sh*te of the ground - it doesn't look like chocolate, and even if it was chocolate - by the age of three they should have the common sense not to eat it off the ground.
Old 21-06-2013, 02:14 PM #10

Kids need to learn the hard way.
LikeABoatOnWater is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 02:55 PM #11
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omah View Post
Erm, our local country wildlife park, although approached through a disused industrial site and residential areas, is comprised of one thousand six hundred (1600) acres of outstanding (rural and semi-rural) natural beauty and is an important recreational facility for residents and visitors alike. Thousands of children visit weekly, including those from several local schools, to make use of the innovative children's play area and join in the ranger-led walks, environmentally themed activities and annual events like the Family Sculpture Day. Recreational opportunities include walking, cycling, horse riding and water sports plus access for all cycles.

Inevitably, dog-owners turn up in their cars from dawn to dusk to release their dogs to run free and foul everywhere except the play area. Most owners will follow their dogs and pick up the mess, but some don't - but kids are encouraged to run free, too, and investigate the flora and fauna - inevitably, that occasionally brings them into contact with somebody's dog's thoughtlessly left excrement.

The park has rangers, but they can't be everywhere at once and they don't cover adjoining farms, which are also accessible to the public.
You asked me "If wardens are employed to try and catch dogs and their owners in the act, isn't that a much greater waste of time and money?". Then you go on to tell me about a country park near you that has wardens.

If there's a dog mess problem in your park, and it already has warden, and obviously they can't cover the whole of the countryside, then my best suggestion would be the parents to take responsibility for the safety of their own child.
Old 21-06-2013, 06:35 PM #12

Quote:
You asked me "If wardens are employed to try and catch dogs and their owners in the act, isn't that a much greater waste of time and money?". Then you go on to tell me about a country park near you that has wardens.
I said "rangers", not wardens .....

Quote:
JOB TITLE Countryside Ranger

To provide Countryside Ranger Service to the Council

DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES

1. To assist in the efficient and effective management of Council-owned countryside areas, consistent with the Council’s Environmental Policies.

2. To provide a suitable range of high quality visitor and interpretative services, including events and activities, display and literature, and environmental education initiatives.

3. To assist in the use of visitor facilities at the Country Park.

4. To develop and co-ordinate the Volunteer Ranger Service, and to manage the Volunteer Ranger work programme.

5. To assist in the provision of training and work experience schemes through partnership working initiatives.

6. To develop local community involvement in the management of Council owned countryside sites.

7. To assist in the co-ordination of a suitable range of wider environmental initiatives.

8. To assist the Countryside & Outdoor Recreation Manager in seeking resources to facilitate the activities of the Countryside Ranger service.

9. To assist the Countryside & Outdoor Recreation Manager in developing long term aims and objectives for the Countryside Ranger Service.

10. To be involved, where appropriate, in the implementation of a range of corporate initiatives within the Council.
They're not employed specifically to pick up dog poo and prosecute the owners .....

Quote:
If there's a dog mess problem in your park, and it already has warden, and obviously they can't cover the whole of the countryside, then my best suggestion would be the parents to take responsibility for the safety of their own child.
The countryside parks have managers, teams of rangers and scores of volunteers but no wardens.

How do "parents to take responsibility for the safety of their own child"?

NOT take them to the countryside, parks or public places .....

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
chocolate, controversy, dog, poo, poster