Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 12-11-2017, 09:59 PM #3151
27/01/2020

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Clara Amfo
BBUSA22: Da'Vonne

27/01/2020

Favourites (more):

Murder on the Orient Express - 7/10

Spoiler:

Sad they killed Johnny Depp within 5 minutes Andy wasn't a fan of the 'everyone killed Johnny Depp' twist - but I liked the film

Last edited by Morgan.; 12-11-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Morgan. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:03 PM #3152

As good as the cast is for that movie, I am put off by the fact it's such a well known story and the twist ending is known.

Last edited by Marsh.; 12-11-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 05:05 PM #3153
-

-

http://m.imdb.com/title/tt4728386/

absolute TRASH

1/10
Fetch The Bolt Cutters is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 06:46 PM #3154

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Ricky Norwood
Strictly 2016: Greg Rutherford

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Ricky Norwood
Strictly 2016: Greg Rutherford

The founder
Quite good for a real life story and it was intresting to see how Macdonalds was founded
8/10

Founder of the Hate Louis Walsh Fanclub
Founder of the Glyn fanclub
Member 15 of the Luke fanclub
member 34 of the kat fanclub
member 11 of the rex fanclub
Member of the rachel fanclub
BigSister is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 09:53 PM #3155

Crimson Peak (2015)
8/10 > much better then my expectations and nice atmosphere and you can tell Guillermo Del Toro directed it

The Good Dinosaur (2015)
8/10 > I imagine the staff at Pixar gathering around a big table saying SOMEONE MUST DIE! why they are going down Disney route?, the film was sad I had a lump in my throat the last 20 minutes

The Hole (2009)
7/10 > horror aimed at kids but it was quite freaky especially the Joker doll & the dead girl for a 12 certificate

Fake people talk about other people being fake,real people worry about their business and nobody else's

Some people create their own storms,then get upset when it rains

Knowledge makes people humble,arrogance makes people ignorant

Do not judge my story,by the chapter you walked in on

Last edited by Benzient-XXVII; 19-11-2017 at 09:55 PM.
Benzient-XXVII is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 10:12 PM #3156
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Just watched Chicken Run for the first time in about 10 years, bc iconic

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-11-2017, 10:23 PM #3157

Jurassic World. It was pretty good, just what you'd expect though.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 09:13 AM #3158
-

-

Nightcrawler - 8.5/10

Had this one sitting on the media server for 6 months+ unwatched, we watched it on Friday night and it's actually excellent. Basic premise is, it's about a loner guy in Los Angeles who is looking for a "calling" and ends up becoming a "stringer" cameraman, which is basically a freelance video journalist who sells footage to news networks... so he drives around all night with a police scanner "chasing" crimes / fires / car crashes etc. to film and gets deeper and deeper into it (hence "Nightcrawler")... can't say more than that without spoilers.

Jake Gyllenhaal's performance makes the film. He plays the sociopath role amazingly (the character seems to have zero empathy, which is what makes him so good at the job, he will get right up to dying gunshot or crash victims bleeding on the ground and shamelessly film them)... similarities to, but 100x more convincing than, Bale's "American Psycho"... he properly nails it. Cold, creepy, unpredictable. The film's message is a pretty bleak, but on-the-money commentary on the obsession with "disaster footage", and "negative news". Especially fitting in the facebook live / liveleak culture we have these days IMO.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 20-11-2017 at 09:16 AM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2017, 04:08 PM #3159
Locke.

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
CBB20: Paul Danan

Locke.

Favourites (more):

The Promise - 8/10

Everybody should watch this film and aware themselves of the story. It's pretty unbelievable that 1.5 million people can be killed and most people don't even know it ever happened, and the fact that it's still denied by the Turkish government too... Crazy. Oscar Isaac was incredible in the lead role and it was fun seeing Christian Bale in a supporting role again, first time in a really long time he's tried that. Very disappointing that this film wasn't heavily promoted, everybody should know about this story and all the proceeds raised from tickets went to charity too, should have been a way bigger push upon release to get its name out there. Also disgusting that over 50,000 Turks rated this film a 1* on IMDb before it was even released.

Last edited by Locke.; 20-11-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Locke. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-11-2017, 03:40 PM #3160
Locke.

Favourites (more):

Locke.

Favourites (more):

Justice League - 6/10 - This is a tricky one. It's a very enjoyable film and flew by, but there are so many flaws. Jason Momoa seems like a really good addition to the universe, Aquaman was definitely the most fun of the new characters and I'm actually looking forward to his standalone now whereas beforehand I didn't care. Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman was the highlight again though. I liked Affleck as Batman more this time around, although aside from being the one to assemble the team, he didn't feel all that relevant when it came to the battles. Will spoiler the flaws because they're difficult to talk about without mentioning big plot points.

Spoiler:

So its runtime is about 1 hour 50 mins not including the credits, 90 minutes of that is taken up by bringing back Superman, and the villain, Steppenwolf, destroying Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Flash, Cyborg, and all the amazonians back where WW comes from. Superman literally shows up and defeats the villain in 30 seconds, even though the other 5 spent the entire movie fighting him as a team and accomplished nothing. So basically, if Superman was alive from the start, the film would have been over within 10 minutes. The villain actually seemed pretty great until he was defeated so easily, and I do like Henry Cavill as Superman but I'd have much preferred the team to have been successful instead of it just being him.

The Flash was annoying as ****. He felt like a carbon copy of what Marvel are doing with Peter Parker, personality wise, except instead of being slightly amusing he just felt very forced. He had at least 1 one-liner every 10 minutes of the film.

Superman's adjustment to being back alive was rushed. The film is pretty short itself considering they're splitting the screentime between 6 superheroes and a villain, there should have been another 20 minutes or so to build on Superman coming back to life. He had one scene with Lois at his house and then was straight back into the action like he'd never left, despite 10 minutes earlier being a psychopathic fighting the Justice League.

So yeah, enjoyable movie and a lot better than Batman v Superman, but I can see why some critics have slaughtered it.

Murder on the Orient Express - 6.5/10

I'd never read the book or watched the original film so found it a lot of fun. The cast is really strong and there are a lot of good performances, really liked seeing Daisy Ridley for the first time out of the Star Wars universe. Cinematography was really nice as well.
Old 21-11-2017, 05:30 PM #3161
27/01/2020

Favourites (more):

27/01/2020

Favourites (more):

Your Name - 4/10
Old 21-11-2017, 05:58 PM #3162
-

-

I haven't seen Justice League yet and not sure what to make of people saying it's "not amazing" but good and better than BvS... Because I still think BvS is a great film and better than easily 80% of the MCU . So when people say it's better, I don't know if that means I'll find it great OR if it means that it's been changed in ways that I won't like .

As for the Batman problem - I do also rate Affleck as a decent Batman but... Batman in the League has always been problematic simply because without the "comic book effect" it becomes impossible to have him stack up with the heavy hitters in any realistic way. He's just a highly skilled bloke with a lot of tech, it's not really comparable to Wonder Woman, Superman, Flash, Aquaman etc... Supes and Flash especially, their powers are kind of the next tier up when they're in full flow surely. It was a pretty obvious in BvS too - kryptonite was relied on heavily to make the "feature fight" realistic as Superman could basically throw Batman into the sun at full strength. And then in the final battle against Doomsday he was sort of religated to a support role while Wonder Woman and Superman did the heavy lifting... Because if he tackled Doomsday head on he'd get stomped.

Poor ol' Oliver Queen has the same problem in the DCTV universe at this point... He's teaming up with Flash & his new superpowered crew (Vibe, Killer Frost etc), Supergirl, Firestorm etc... And it's sort of like... Realistically, do they need a guy who is good with a bow and martial arts?
Old 25-11-2017, 03:03 PM #3163
Banned

Banned

Justice League

In a sentence, it's messy but fun.

There's a lot of bad points about it, the CGI is TERRIBLE, Steppenwolf looks like a boss from a bad PS3 RPG and I legitimately burst out laughing at the first scene with Superman's terrible CGI mouth. There's way too much CGI in the film and none of it is good.

When it comes to the cast, most do a pretty good job. Affleck puts in another strong performance as Batman, Gal Gadot (despite some undermining wardrobe choice for both her and the Amazons) remains an MVP of the DCEU and they FINALLY got Superman right. Here, he is warm, compassionate, funny and likable. Superman was never meant to be a cold distant alien trying to pass as human, he's meant to be an alien that's more human that most humans and Zack Snyder finally got that right in this film. Cyborg and his actor is subtly good, he doesn't create much of an impression until near the end but there's potential for greatness there. Aquabro is okay but I'm reserving judgement until his solo film. The worst character by far is The Flash, this is not Barry Allen, it's Ezra Miller playing Ezra Miller. Most of his jokes fall flat and they completely dropped the ball on Barry's characterisation. The Flash is meant to be a light hearted contrast to the typically dark trappings of the other DC heroes, not a buffoon that's scared of his own shadow.

The plot is basically nonexistent and Steppenwolf is a terrible character that matches up with his terrible visuals but the chemistry between the team is fun enough and it's quite watchable despite his flaws as well as a lot of potential as long as they jettison Zack Snyder from all DC projects in future.

6/10
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 03:05 PM #3164
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurryface View Post
Your Name - 4/10
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 06:38 PM #3165

Snow White & The Huntsman (2012)
8/10 > worth watching and OMG Kristen Stewart shows emotion worth watching it for that alone

The Invasion (2007)
8/10 > this is my second viewing but when I saw it on TV a couple of years ago it was better and more intense but this time I didn't really feel the tensity it this time round sadly

Fake people talk about other people being fake,real people worry about their business and nobody else's

Some people create their own storms,then get upset when it rains

Knowledge makes people humble,arrogance makes people ignorant

Do not judge my story,by the chapter you walked in on
Benzient-XXVII is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 07:13 PM #3166
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Good Time - what a load of crap 4/10

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-11-2017, 08:41 PM #3167
Locke.

Favourites (more):

Locke.

Favourites (more):

Wheelman - 6/10 - A lot better than I was expecting it to be. Builds tension well, a bit like an action version of the Tom Hardy film Locke. Frank Grillo is always great in these kinds of roles. Would have got a 7 if it wasn't for the same old predictable crap about the teenage daughter getting dragged into the action late on.

Hangman - 3/10 - Al Pacino's been quietly working his way back into good roles lately after a pretty horrific 00's, but this was pretty bad. Thankfully him and DeNiro will be in another classic next year directed by Scorsese.
Old 27-11-2017, 06:33 AM #3168

Jeepers Creepers 3 - Terrible. Seen better episodes of Scooby Doo tbh. Very disappointed..

Jingle All The Way - Always amazing

Miracle on 34th Street - Same as above
Josy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 09:42 AM #3169
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josy View Post
Jeepers Creepers 3 - Terrible. Seen better episodes of Scooby Doo tbh. Very disappointed..

Jingle All The Way - Always amazing

Miracle on 34th Street - Same as above

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 27-11-2017, 09:46 AM #3170
Locke.

Favourites (more):

Locke.

Favourites (more):

The Hero - 7/10 - Amazing lead performance from Sam Elliott, probably the best lead performance I've seen this year so far (very close with Oscar Isaac in The Promise). The film itself is really engaging but it's all about Elliott's performance really.

Last edited by Locke.; 27-11-2017 at 09:47 AM.
Old 28-11-2017, 11:02 PM #3171
BB Sees All 👀

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
BB19: Brooke

BB Sees All 👀

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
BB19: Brooke

Daddy’s Home 2

I actually really liked it, was much better than I anticipated.

Thanks to Littlegreen for my lovely sig
andybigbro is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 04:43 PM #3172
Locke.

Favourites (more):

Locke.

Favourites (more):

The Room - YOU ARE TEARING ME APART LISA/10
Old 04-12-2017, 05:22 PM #3173
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Justice League

In a sentence, it's messy but fun.

There's a lot of bad points about it, the CGI is TERRIBLE, Steppenwolf looks like a boss from a bad PS3 RPG and I legitimately burst out laughing at the first scene with Superman's terrible CGI mouth. There's way too much CGI in the film and none of it is good.

When it comes to the cast, most do a pretty good job. Affleck puts in another strong performance as Batman, Gal Gadot (despite some undermining wardrobe choice for both her and the Amazons) remains an MVP of the DCEU and they FINALLY got Superman right. Here, he is warm, compassionate, funny and likable. Superman was never meant to be a cold distant alien trying to pass as human, he's meant to be an alien that's more human that most humans and Zack Snyder finally got that right in this film. Cyborg and his actor is subtly good, he doesn't create much of an impression until near the end but there's potential for greatness there. Aquabro is okay but I'm reserving judgement until his solo film. The worst character by far is The Flash, this is not Barry Allen, it's Ezra Miller playing Ezra Miller. Most of his jokes fall flat and they completely dropped the ball on Barry's characterisation. The Flash is meant to be a light hearted contrast to the typically dark trappings of the other DC heroes, not a buffoon that's scared of his own shadow.

The plot is basically nonexistent and Steppenwolf is a terrible character that matches up with his terrible visuals but the chemistry between the team is fun enough and it's quite watchable despite his flaws as well as a lot of potential as long as they jettison Zack Snyder from all DC projects in future.

6/10
Just to add about Barry Allen, I felt like they were trying to make him like Peter Parker like the latest version specifically

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 04-12-2017, 05:26 PM #3174
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salah Claus. View Post
Justice League - 6/10 - This is a tricky one. It's a very enjoyable film and flew by, but there are so many flaws. Jason Momoa seems like a really good addition to the universe, Aquaman was definitely the most fun of the new characters and I'm actually looking forward to his standalone now whereas beforehand I didn't care. Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman was the highlight again though. I liked Affleck as Batman more this time around, although aside from being the one to assemble the team, he didn't feel all that relevant when it came to the battles. Will spoiler the flaws because they're difficult to talk about without mentioning big plot points.

Spoiler:

So its runtime is about 1 hour 50 mins not including the credits, 90 minutes of that is taken up by bringing back Superman, and the villain, Steppenwolf, destroying Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, the Flash, Cyborg, and all the amazonians back where WW comes from. Superman literally shows up and defeats the villain in 30 seconds, even though the other 5 spent the entire movie fighting him as a team and accomplished nothing. So basically, if Superman was alive from the start, the film would have been over within 10 minutes. The villain actually seemed pretty great until he was defeated so easily, and I do like Henry Cavill as Superman but I'd have much preferred the team to have been successful instead of it just being him.

The Flash was annoying as ****. He felt like a carbon copy of what Marvel are doing with Peter Parker, personality wise, except instead of being slightly amusing he just felt very forced. He had at least 1 one-liner every 10 minutes of the film.

Superman's adjustment to being back alive was rushed. The film is pretty short itself considering they're splitting the screentime between 6 superheroes and a villain, there should have been another 20 minutes or so to build on Superman coming back to life. He had one scene with Lois at his house and then was straight back into the action like he'd never left, despite 10 minutes earlier being a psychopathic fighting the Justice League.

So yeah, enjoyable movie and a lot better than Batman v Superman, but I can see why some critics have slaughtered it.

Murder on the Orient Express - 6.5/10

I'd never read the book or watched the original film so found it a lot of fun. The cast is really strong and there are a lot of good performances, really liked seeing Daisy Ridley for the first time out of the Star Wars universe. Cinematography was really nice as well.
Spoiler:

re Barry Allen, those were exactly my thoughts too which is a shame because he could have been a better character if they just let him be Barry Allen

Also I agree about Superman, It reminded me of Eleven in S2 of Stranger things

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 04-12-2017, 07:25 PM #3175
-

-

Saw Justice league today, I really enjoyed it, to be honest my only MAJOR gripe was that the opening act needed another 15 or 20 minutes to flow properly... The setup felt slightly rushed (a lot of jumping from scene to scene) and just a few extra minutes on each scene would have made it smoother. Reminded me a bit of BvS cinematic cut in that way; the extra time on the directors cut dramatically improved the flow of the film.

I didn't mind the interpretation of Barry Allen tbh. The Flash himself was underpowered IMO, and some aspects of that were confusing: he made sense as a very "early days" Flash who is still growing into his powers... And yet, he already has knowledge of the Speed Force and also a fully functional suit which suggests a more experienced Flash . Didn't really make sense.

Superman crushing the villain at the last minute... I get what people are saying about it sort of undermining the "team up" aspect of the movie which is surely the whole point of Justice League... But lore-wise it wouldn't have made sense if it WASN'T an easy victory. Superman at full strength is supposed to be far more powerful than any other DC hero... There are only a couple of villains who can successfully even go toe to toe with Supes unless there are other factors like Kryptonite involved. Maybe it would have been better if they had warped in some massive, powerful creature and Superman had needed to tackle that after his first blow on Steppenwolf, while the others regrouped and managed to take him out on their own. Otherwise, you just have to keep Superman out of it, or scale down his strength (which would be lame af).

Overall I though it was good, though, and also... Better than a LOT of the MCU. I think people are pretty harsh on the DC movies. They're comparing them to the MCU which has earned its stripes over time... And had plenty of mis-steps in phase 1 and 2.

[edited to add]

Actually I have another gripe! Whilst I didn't find the Superman mouth incident all that distracting tbh, overlookable... and most of the effects were great...the CGI for Steppenwolf's face was awful. I've seen better in game cutscenes .

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 04-12-2017 at 09:42 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
film, watched