Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB14 Channel 5's Big Brother: Secrets and Lies (aka Big Brother 14) started June 13th 2013 and was won by Sam Evans.

Discuss the series and housemates here.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:29 AM #26

Favourites:
BB14: Dexter
BB13: Deana

Favourites:

they are disgusting pigs . whats so good about being obese and greedy what a lovely trait to have. while people starve everywhere.
19 and obese thats just wrong. they try to be funny to conpensate but they just are not in the slightlest
i blame the parents you dont get to 19 stone by 19 unless fed badly as a kid

Last edited by smeagol; 03-08-2013 at 08:31 AM.
smeagol is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:31 AM #27
Team Grrumpy

Team Grrumpy

The twins have gone in there using a very over-rehearsed format. They know they are fat because they allude to it all the time. So they want us to like them even though we are concerned for their health. In their terms they think this can be done through their rehearsed humour. It is clear that they have been over-indulged both with food and the idea that they are funny. I suspect they learned very early that being overweight allowed them to avoid certain things in their life that they did not want to do; e.g I'm not going to pedal the bike tomorrow morning - I'll wipe the surfaces in the kitchen down but that's it... So being so overweight has many compensations for them. We - as aware human-beings who have grown up with the accepted notion that being overweight causes many health problems - so a lot of what is said about their weight is said through concern for them. Having said that their parents have, until recently, been responsible for their well-being. Both of the sisters we have seen are also large and yes it can be genetic. Notwithstanding this they are now responsible for themselves. I think they are over-indulged and have been all of their lives and this is at the root of it. It does not sound like anyone in their family has actually dealt with the elephant in the room and I'm not sure if either of them are yet evolved enough to take active steps to secure their own long-term futures. At best they are figures of derision and at worse they are walking/sitting time bombs. Perhaps the whole family need an intervention. Its so complicated...We all get sucked into this on many levels and can be accused of not being PC for whatever opinion we put forward. If we say they are fine as they are deep inside we know they are not. If we comment on their weight we are being fattist. If we say their parents are to blame we are being unkind to their parents and still putting the responsibility for their futures in parental hands. I believe the fact they are still in there will once again give them the message that they are both absolutely fine - so we have also over-indulged them. I can't see how the circle will ever be broken. They are prime candidates for a weight loss programme and I for one would watch it in the fervent hope that they emerge as shadows of their former selves at the reveal...

Last edited by mr rochester; 03-08-2013 at 08:43 AM.
mr rochester is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:47 AM #28

Favourites:
BB14: Gina

Favourites:

Right. We're all just concerned for their health. Not the least bit judgemental or cruel, just concerned. Such a shame fat people can't see that the fat jokes and comments about them being physically disgusting or personally off-putting are just a way of showing caring and concern.
DanaC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:24 AM #29
Something inoffensive

Favourites (more):
BB15: Chris
CBB 13: Lionel Blair
Something inoffensive

Favourites (more):

And of course all of the posters on here all have bodies like Sam don't you? Its very, very low to be having such a mocking title and thread. Nobody chooses to be fat/big. I'm fat and it is due to a multitude of health issues.

I would personally love to be built like Sam and i'm sure they would too, but we're not and never will be. It's called life. I can only assume the OP is about 12, it shows nothing but naivety and ignorance. I'm sure if it wouldnt get them a ban they would probably be making light of Sam's hearing and such things.

Take a step back from yourself from time to time and think.

Welcome to my ignore list

Add me on Goodreads here

Last edited by Verbal; 03-08-2013 at 09:25 AM.
Verbal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:16 AM #30

I don't agree that obesity has any genetic factor. Too many calories and not burning them off = weight gain. They could always get a gastric band at the taxpayers expense. They would never have to exert themselves physically , by actually moving around more or mentally by utilising, I would think for the first time in their spoiled lives, a modicum of self restraint. That would fit in perfectly with the way they have been brought up, from what I have seen
Old 03-08-2013, 11:17 AM #31
Something inoffensive

Favourites (more):
Something inoffensive

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne666 View Post
I don't agree that obesity has any genetic factor. Too many calories and not burning them off = weight gain. They could always get a gastric band at the taxpayers expense. They would never have to exert themselves physically , by actually moving around more or mentally by utilising, I would think for the first time in their spoiled lives, a modicum of self restraint. That would fit in perfectly with the way they have been brought up, from what I have seen
I know of people who due to no fault of their own would make the twins look like swim suit models. So, yea.

Add me on Goodreads here
Old 03-08-2013, 11:18 AM #32

Favourites (more):
BB14: Callum

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucie View Post
...just now I heard Sophie say she was making late night pancakes and asked everyone if they wanted some and of the twins said " I'm 18 stone..of course I want some" and then laughed...

They don't seem to be concerned about their weight at all...they almost revel in it.
He's trying to be funny.

Failed again though.
aman201 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:20 AM #33
Stellar all-star line up

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BBCanada 5: Karen

Stellar all-star line up

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 5: Karen

At least they aren't as celebratory about it as Becky last series.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:28 AM #34

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tregard View Post
At least they aren't as celebratory about it as Becky last series.
Not when Luke A mentioned her BMI.

Luke A.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:31 AM #35

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anne666 View Post
There are many factors involved in weight gain. At it's absolute simplest, it is too many calories for the body to burn off (often because of insufficient exercise). But: different people's bodies deal with excess calories differently. If I overeat for a few days, my appetite then drops off and the thought of food makes me feel slightly sick so i end up dropping the amount of calories I intake. For some people this doesn't happen, instead their bodies respond in a different way, turning the excess calories into fat without switching off their appetite.

There have also been some studies done in the last few years which show an apparent link between a common virus and sudden changes in appetite and the body's response to excess calories; with people who've always been slim suddenly gaining large amounts of weight. It's not clear exactly what the relationship between the factors is yet but there is enough evidence to suggest that it may be a crucial part of the obesity problem.

There are other factors to consider too: different people need different levels of exercise to burn off similar amounts of excess calories. There are a range of physical conditions which can limit the amount of exercise a person can get. There are also many illnesses/conditions which can impact on appetite.

I have a friend who is very overweight, but I guarantee she does much more exercise than i do in an average day and her diet is far healthier than mine. I live a pretty sedentary life other than dog walks, and my diet is appalling: i go through phases of healthy eating, but I spend weeks at a time living on fast food, takeouts, chocolate bars, etc.

She has far more self control than I do. But because I am slim and she is fat people assume I am healthier and less gluttonous than her.

I suspect that I have far more fat in my internal organs than she does.

There are also, of course problems set in childhood, with how we relate to food. They can be very difficult to address. Not just because we form habitual relationships with food, but because our diet as children affects how many fat cells we have as adults. People who gain weight in childhood and adolescence genuinely have a harder time losing weight than people who don't gain their weight until adulthood.

There was an excellent documentary a few years ago called 'Why are thin people not fat?'

I highly recommend it. It's really fascinating.

Here it is on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeeFrcvt3KA

Last edited by DanaC; 03-08-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:36 AM #36
Something inoffensive

Favourites (more):
Something inoffensive

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
There are many factors involved in weight gain. At it's absolute simplest, it is too many calories for the body to burn off (often because of insufficient exercise). But: different people's bodies deal with excess calories differently. If I overeat for a few days, my appetite then drops off and the thought of food makes me feel slightly sick so i end up dropping the amount of calories I intake. For some people this doesn't happen, instead their bodies respond in a different way, turning the excess calories into fat without switching off their appetite.

There have also been some studies done in the last few years which show an apparent link between a common virus and sudden changes in appetite and the body's response to excess calories; with people who've always been slim suddenly gaining large amounts of weight. It's not clear exactly what the relationship between the factors is yet but there is enough evidence to suggest that it may be a crucial part of the obesity problem.

There are other factors to consider too: different people need different levels of exercise to burn off similar amounts of excess calories. There are a range of physical conditions which can limit the amount of exercise a person can get. There are also many illnesses/conditions which can impact on appetite.

I have a friend who is very overweight, but I guarantee she does much more exercise than i do in an average day and her diet is far healthier than mine. I live a pretty sedentary life other than dog walks, and my diet is appalling: i go through phases of healthy eating, but I spend weeks at a time living on fast food, takeouts, chocolate bars, etc.

She has far more self control than I do. But because I am slim and she is fat people assume I am healthier and less gluttonous than her.

I suspect that I have far more fat in my internal organs than she does.

There was an excellent documentary a few years ago called 'Why are thin people not fat?'

I highly recommend it. It's really fascinating.

Here it is on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeeFrcvt3KA
Far too much sense in that post, Dana. The majority won't grasp it.

Add me on Goodreads here
Old 03-08-2013, 11:37 AM #37

Watching these two in the house my conclusion is they eat too much very unhealthy food. If they have a slow metabolic rate they need to exercise more than the average person. Early Heart attack and type two diabetes at least , if they don't. Thank you for the link .
Old 03-08-2013, 11:37 AM #38

Favourites:

Favourites:

Yeah. *smiles* but some might

I edited since you quoted btw.
Old 03-08-2013, 11:37 AM #39
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

This might great topic for serious debates?
Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 AM #40

God they are 19 and they are cute. Leave them alone.
Beastie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:54 AM #41

Favourites:
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

I think they have both lost weight since going in the house, a good start for them if they decide the want to be slimmer. Totally up to them

I believe they need to put on a good bit more weight before the NHS would consider them for bariatric surgery.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 11:56 AM #42

Favourites:

Favourites:

It would also have to be impacting on their health as well. If for example they were suffering from sleep apnia as a result of their weight and that was considered to be a potential danger. And they'd have to show that they'd tried other methods of weight loss.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:05 PM #43

Oh yeah Becky revelled in it far more last series but got offended by the BMI comment last year....then Wolfy got upset by the word 'fat'....
brucie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:07 PM #44

As a side note, both hazel and sophie appear to be more rounded in the face since the start.
brucie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:10 PM #45
Lion Queen

Favourites (more):
I'm a Celeb 2012: David Haye
Lion Queen

Favourites (more):
I'm a Celeb 2012: David Haye

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinearefine View Post
this is disgustingly sexist. Why blame their mother and not their father? This isn't the 1950s where it's down to the mother to take care of dinner and the kids. And it's wrong to blame the parents either way, seeing as no one knows anything about their home life or what their parents have taught them.
please don't call me disgusting for having a view that we as parents should take responsibility to teach our children a healthy lifestyle. our non teachings could be seriously detrimental to our kids health, everyone knows a poor diet is a major factor in poor health and weight issues.
Heart disease and stroke. High blood pressure, Diabetes, Cancer, Gallbladder disease and gallstones, Osteoarthritis, breathing problems, such as sleep apnea (when a person stops breathing for a short episodes during sleep) and asthma amongst others and all these could lead to premature death.
It is plain that these boys eat far too much of the wrong foods and take in far too many calories and do not take enough, if any exercise, we have watched them over the weeks on BB and they eat a lot of unhealthy foods such as pizza which is extremely high in saturated fats. If I were their Mother and they lived at home with me I would encourage them to eat healthily and exercise for their own future health. Of course once they leave home it is then down to them themselves. Being overweight as much as Jack and Joe are doesn't happen overnight, its probably been creeping on for a few years. Weightwatchers is a proven healthy eating plan that if you stick to healthy eating the weight will come off and stay off if you keep with it. Many people I know who are slim either eat healthily and/ or take regular exercise, many overweight people I know eat too many calories and don't exercise. I know sometimes weight gain can be caused by a faulty gene but I doubt thats what the twins have, I have seen them whilst in the house eating lots of unhealthy foods. By the way I was overweight myself, my mother piled our plates and we were told we must clear our plates and all three of us sisters are/were overweight. I have since lost the weight by attending weightwatchers and taking stock of my life and taking regular exercise. One of my sisters resorted to Gastric Bypass surgery and my other sister has joined me by attending Weightwatchers. All my life we blamed our weight on our 'genes' When I reached my 50's and knew I was lying to myself, I was fat because of what I was putting in my mouth. When we were at home is when our problem started and it went on into late adult life. While I wouldn't dream of saying anything to my Mother, the problem did start with her not teaching us a healthy lifestyle. I truly believe food health education is the way forward and I think it should be taught both at home and at school.

Me
Tozzie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:12 PM #46

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastie View Post
God they are 19 and they are cute. Leave them alone.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:21 PM #47
Focus

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
DOI 2018: Kem Cetinay

Focus

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
DOI 2018: Kem Cetinay

They cant be happy looking and feeling that uncomfortable.

Jords is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:27 PM #48
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post
please don't call me disgusting for having a view that we as parents should take responsibility to teach our children a healthy lifestyle. our non teachings could be seriously detrimental to our kids health, everyone knows a poor diet is a major factor in poor health and weight issues.
Heart disease and stroke. High blood pressure, Diabetes, Cancer, Gallbladder disease and gallstones, Osteoarthritis, breathing problems, such as sleep apnea (when a person stops breathing for a short episodes during sleep) and asthma amongst others and all these could lead to premature death.
It is plain that these boys eat far too much of the wrong foods and take in far too many calories and do not take enough, if any exercise, we have watched them over the weeks on BB and they eat a lot of unhealthy foods such as pizza which is extremely high in saturated fats. If I were their Mother and they lived at home with me I would encourage them to eat healthily and exercise for their own future health. Of course once they leave home it is then down to them themselves. Being overweight as much as Jack and Joe are doesn't happen overnight, its probably been creeping on for a few years. Weightwatchers is a proven healthy eating plan that if you stick to healthy eating the weight will come off and stay off if you keep with it. Many people I know who are slim either eat healthily and/ or take regular exercise, many overweight people I know eat too many calories and don't exercise. I know sometimes weight gain can be caused by a faulty gene but I doubt thats what the twins have, I have seen them whilst in the house eating lots of unhealthy foods. By the way I was overweight myself, my mother piled our plates and we were told we must clear our plates and all three of us sisters are/were overweight. I have since lost the weight by attending weightwatchers and taking stock of my life and taking regular exercise. One of my sisters resorted to Gastric Bypass surgery and my other sister has joined me by attending Weightwatchers. All my life we blamed our weight on our 'genes' When I reached my 50's and knew I was lying to myself, I was fat because of what I was putting in my mouth. When we were at home is when our problem started and it went on into late adult life. While I wouldn't dream of saying anything to my Mother, the problem did start with her not teaching us a healthy lifestyle. I truly believe food health education is the way forward and I think it should be taught both at home and at school.
Wonderful post
Old 03-08-2013, 12:29 PM #49
Queen Bea

Favourites (more):
BB16: Chloe
BBUSA17: Da'Vonne
Queen Bea

Favourites (more):
BB16: Chloe
BBUSA17: Da'Vonne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tozzie View Post
I don't see how anything that you wrote at all relates to my post.
swinearefine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 12:50 PM #50

Favourites:

Favourites:

Tozzie: I think the point swinefire was making was that it is sexist to assume that such a thing rests with the mother, as opposed to the parents. What about Dad?

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
18, of course i want some, offered, pancakes, stone, twin, weighs