Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 28-01-2002, 04:11 PM #1

Default Pop Idol gets bitchy

I found this article on Yahoo News. I suppose it was inevitable the happy families thing couldn't last - at least if you are in the media and reporting on it.

Quote:
Pop Idol Family Rivalry
The mother of Pop Idol favourite Gareth Gates claims rivalry has broken out between her and the family of his closest competitor, Will Young.

Wendy Gates, whose son is the bookies' choice to win the ITV talent search, has accused Will's family of failing to applaud the other competitors during the shows.

With only three hopefuls left in the programme - the third is Darius Denesh - Gareth and Will could go head to head in the final in a fortnight's time.

'Strange'

But as the competition hots up Mrs Gates, from Bradford, has accused Will's family of being less than sporting.

In an interview with Heat magazine, she said that while she was friends with the mother of Zoe Birkett, who was given the axe on Saturday, she found the attitude of Will's family strange.

"Will tends to keep himself to himself and his family act like we're rivals.

"I've noticed in the last few weeks they never clap after Gareth's performance. We stand up and cheer for the contestants."

Showbiz perils

Mrs Gates also revealed how she had warned her 17-year-old son about the perils of the showbiz world.

She said she had told him to phone her "if anyone offers you drugs".
I don't know what you think, but even if it is true, it can't be helpful to have your mother stirring up (or continuing to stir) trouble between you and the others. They're still sharing a house and when they all become big stars, which I'm sure they will, they'll be glad of the friendships formed at this stage.

I must admit, I can imagine there is a little truth in it. From the little clips we've seen Will does look like quite a private person, so may well keep himself to himself. Zoe and Gareth are quite a bit younger, so he might find it difficult to mingle with them, and Darius is Darius, so he's nice to everyone to extremes. I couldn't care less if Will would rather spend time by himself, but can anyone more obervant than me shed some light on the family clapping thing?

On a happier note - I like the advice she's given Gareth re drugs. Does this mean that she doesn't want to get left out if there's any going spare?
Feefs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2002, 06:20 PM #2

I read today in the Daily Record Wills sordid secrets are out while he was at university he organized sex balls which is like a dance where sex toys and condoms where supplied free and students where at it all over the place 3 of his fellow students verified this
If this is true he not the gentleman everyone thinks he is
owwww how rudeeeee!!!!!
Rocks Lady is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2002, 06:34 PM #3

I think most of us who have been to university would be in trouble if the Daily Record decided to report on it. I'm not so sure about the sex toys, but in my days at the Student Union you could hardly move for being handed free condoms.

I suppose it is different if he organised these events and it was expected that people would be at it all over the place, but I'm going to apply my bag of salt here. Though they do say it's the quiet ones!

More seriously, I think it's rubbish, but not entirely surprising that the papers are dishing the dirt. I suppose it's remarkable it's taken this long. I can only hope that most of the voting and viewing public already know the contestants well enough to not be swayed by all thisl
Feefs is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2002, 07:44 PM #4

Oh dear, it's starting already!

The tabloid press are sharks, they can't wait to stick their teeth into the most vulnerable people and the competitors on Pop Idol are perfect because they are normal people who have never had to deal with the press in the past. They and their families are sitting targets.

Even if the families aren't the best of friends, this is a competition and they are human! Who wouldn't be competitive?

It doesn't matter what happens behind the scenes, all that matters is that these three talented young people get all the advantages they deserve.

Do we expect them all to be best buddies? would I be if that was my son down there singing his socks off, I doubt it!

The singing is the important thing, not the rivalry!

Janette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-01-2002, 10:03 PM #5
Administrator

Administrator

Janette, you took the words right out of my mouth. The tabloids like nothing better than setting people up on a pedestal so they can knock them straight back down again.

As to whether Will's family applauded Gareth's performance, I didn't tape last Saturday's programme but my recollection is that every time they showed Will's brother in the audience, he was applauding whoever had just finished singing.

Has anyone actually seen the interview in Heat magazine, or is it to be published in tomorrow's edition?
Kaz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2002, 10:17 AM #6
Administrator

Administrator

Noticed on Ananova today that Will's mother has responded to the allegations made by Gareth's mother.

Pop Idol William's mum denies 'non-clapping' story

The mother of Pop Idol contestant William Young says her family have not failed to applaud his rivals. Annabel Young says claims made by the family of fellow PopIdol finalist Gareth Gates are "completely untrue." She says the family think all the contestants have been "absolutely great."

Wendy Gates made her claims in an interview with Heat magazine. She said the rivalry between William and Gareth had resulted in the Young family failing to clap for other contestants after their performances on the ITV1 reality TV show.

Mrs Young told Radio 1's Newsbeat: "The story is completely untrue. Of course we applaud for every single one of them, they're all absolutely great. William did warn us that this was going to come out today."

It's just so sad that this sort of adverse publicity about 'warring' families is printed, when the actual Pop Idol contestants seem to get along so well.
Kaz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-01-2002, 07:49 PM #7

I read the offending article in Heat yesterday, and it seems to me that things have been slightly misconstrued. I wouldn't be surpised if Gareth's mum didn't say what was reported or if she did it was taken out of context.
If she really did say it then she obviously wouldn't have been bothered if it upset Gareth and Will, and I don't think she's that heartless!
Janette is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bitchy, idol, pop