Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB12 Celebrity Big Brother 12 started 22nd August 2013 and was won by Charlotte Crosby.

Discuss here.

Old 25-08-2013, 10:40 PM #176
Team Grrumpy

Team Grrumpy

We all gasped when he said it...

The warning was right - but sooooo surprised he actually said it when he has gone on there to try to resurrect some good feeling towards himself. He just doesn't get it - plain and simple. He is a dinosaur (as far as modern thinking goes ) he must be stuck in the time warp he grew up in perhaps. Most people are savvy about these things because they make it their business to find out. Not Ron seemingly. I really don't think he means anything bad by the silly things he comes out with and he was immediately apologetic - he just isn't a modern thinker and he doesn't get political correctness and what is or isn't appropriate to say.
mr rochester is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 10:40 PM #177
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassysocks View Post
In which case I apologise - I thought you were. But that doesn't change the fact that you don't scream sexism at those that do and I think you have overreacted, along with many others, to Ron's comments - when he clearly meant no harm. Intent is everything.
..I don't think reece has over-reacted, obviously I'm going to say that because I agree with him but the joke Ron made wasn't acceptable..I don't think it was intentionally meant to offend either, so BB warned him and for me that should be the end of it because he himself accepted it as well..so there just really isn't 'excuse' for him..he made a stupid joke, which had racist connotations, it had to receive a warning, which it did and really that should be the end of it...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 10:40 PM #178

Favourites:
BB14: Gina

Favourites:

Really CH? Because I thought it was this part of your post that was problematic:

Quote:
Getting offended on behalf of other people is offensive in itself. You're all just cheapening the real issues so that you can use big words and get all haughty over something on the internet. "

You know, the way you just dismissed and insulted everybody who disagreed with you on this matter?
DanaC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 10:46 PM #179

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie. View Post
I was gob smacked when he said it. It was racist no matter what way you look at it, it stereotyped Muslims (or religions that wear head scarves) to be a terrorist.

It was definitely justified.
So you were stereotyping when u said hazel was a ***** because of the way she looked and dressed?
megamaja40 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 10:59 PM #180

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Keith Chegwin
CBB14: Gary

Favourites (more):

I can't keep up with this thread.. it's fast!

Ron's comment was a joke, it was a dark joke. The dark joke requires a mature, sensible audience. A dark joke usually comes with a warning when shown to an audience. The warning was a requirement.

The stereotype joke has always been acceptable in the past, it has appeared on many shows including Only Fools And Horses. Recently OFAH had all of the stereotypical jokes removed. These are new times for people of Ron's age. Anyway OFAH was ruined by the censorship.

So a warning is required, and that should be enough. The warning was slightly too harsh, and too long. Ron already admitted to being in the wrong, but the warning continued to build in intensity. I feel that some of the arguments on here are based on the Warning being intensified. People have become intensified by the length of the warning.

A quick warning with Ron realising his mistake was enough. Ron admitted to his mistake. That was enough.

You can create more damage with an over the top warning than the original joke. This thread can create more damage to relations than the joke by over-defending the warning. "Get Ron Out!".. over-defending the warning.
Old 25-08-2013, 11:03 PM #181

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho Paxton View Post

Ron's comment was a joke, it was a dark joke. The dark joke requires a mature, sensible audience. A dark joke usually comes with a warning when shown to an audience. The warning was a requirement.

The stereotype joke has always been acceptable in the past, it has appeared on many shows including Only Fools And Horses. Recently OFAH had all of the stereotypical jokes removed. These are new times for people of Ron's age. Anyway OFAH was ruined by the censorship.

So a warning is required, and that should be enough. The warning was slightly too harsh, and too long. Ron already admitted to being in the wrong, but the warning continued to build in intensity. I feel that some of the arguments on here are based on the Warning being intensified. People have become intensified by the length of the warning.

A quick warning with Ron realising his mistake was enough. Ron admitted to his mistake. That was enough.

You can create more damage with an over the top warning than the original joke. This thread can create more damage to relations than the joke by over-defending the warning. "Get Ron Out!".. over-defending the warning.
There is quite a few very obvious racist terms on ONLY FOOLS particularly the early episodes...e.g

uncle albert referring to corner shop as the "paŁi shop"
del boy referring to tea cosy as 'soppy hats for the west indians'

etc etc...quite shocking watching that now as none of it has been removed from the official bbc dvds....
brucie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 11:06 PM #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucie View Post
has that actually happened?!!?
Afraid so yes, a few times to me personally and also friends and family too.. these dickheads are out there, trust me, which is why it blows my mind to see a joke like this being bandied about as 'racism' when theres no hate to be seen here, sure it wasn't a very funny joke, but to say he is racist because of it is 100% ridiculous
_catapult_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 11:06 PM #183

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
There is quite a few very obvious racist terms on ONLY FOOLS particularly the early episodes...e.g

etc etc...quite shocking watching that now as none of it has been removed from the official bbc dvds....
And when you are Ron's age you suddenly get a warning for the things that made people famous in the past.
Old 25-08-2013, 11:06 PM #184

Quote:
Originally Posted by _catapult_ View Post
Afraid so yes, a few times to me personally and also friends and family too.. these dickheads are out there, trust me, which is why it blows my mind to see a joke like this being bandied about as 'racism' when theres no hate to be seen here, sure it wasn't a very funny joke, but to say he is racist because of it is 100% ridiculous
sorry to hear that
brucie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 11:07 PM #185
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:

..actually I hadn't noticed the length of the warning, I'm not sure it has got any bearing on the comments in this thread..I agree with you that a warning was required and given and that should be the end of it because Ron himself saw what he said was wrong but I think the thread's being elongated because of the excuses made for him saying it when Ron makes no excuses himself...he's not a racist but he made a racist joke, it was extremely stupid, there was no excuse for it but that warning had to be given...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 11:11 PM #186

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingers View Post
FFS is this Forum PC MAD?
You're right there fingers,Not just this forum either,Soon all speech and jokes and stand-up comedy will be regulated by the PC department of the government.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 11:11 PM #187

Quote:

When the asians first came over here I think it was very common for them to be referred to as '*****' - it is just short for pakistanis, after all, but then the negative connotations came and today it's taboo to call somebody that even though in the literal sense it wasn't actually an insult..

I don't remember the episode though so I can't comment on the context of this individual use of the word but I'd guess at the time, most people didn't read too much into it?? ...
_catapult_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 11:19 PM #188

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..actually I hadn't noticed the length of the warning, I'm not sure it has got any bearing on the comments in this thread..I agree with you that a warning was required and given and that should be the end of it because Ron himself saw what he said was wrong but I think the thread's being elongated because of the excuses made for him saying it when Ron makes no excuses himself...he's not a racist but he made a racist joke, it was extremely stupid, there was no excuse for it but that warning had to be given...
It's this really that I have been responding to. And the calls of PC Gone Mad! just because someone got a warning for making a racist joke.

It wasn't (to me) a massive deal...it was a stupid remark that crossed a line and the person who made it was warned: end of. They weren't arrested or hauled off to a cell. They weren't censored by a government department. They were informed that their remark was potentially offensive and asked not to do it again.
Old 25-08-2013, 11:23 PM #189
Platinum Member

Platinum Member

Ron made yet another stupid remark ON NATIONAL TELEVISION and was warned.

Big deal! He's still there laughing and joking. I expect he's already forgotten about it.
CaudleHalbard is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 11:26 PM #190

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaudleHalbard View Post
Ron made yet another stupid remark ON NATIONAL TELEVISION and was warned.

Big deal! He's still there laughing and joking. I expect he's already forgotten about it.
Well ya know, he is old....;p
Old 25-08-2013, 11:41 PM #191

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Well ya know, he is old....;p
Warning.. ageist joke!
Old 25-08-2013, 11:54 PM #192

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB20: Brandi Glanville

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB20: Brandi Glanville

Yeah when he said that, I knew a warning was on its way, but was way deserved imo
aj2463 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 03:20 AM #193
No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Amanda Barrie

No filter

Favourites (more):
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Amanda Barrie

Quote:

They've got a routine they have to go through though. By the time this series is done, we'll all probably know the Warning spiel off by heart
Old 26-08-2013, 04:15 AM #194
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 04:48 AM #195

Favourites:
BBUSA16: Derrick

Favourites:
BBUSA16: Derrick

Quote:

Old 26-08-2013, 06:27 AM #196

Favourites (more):
CBB 13: Linda Nolan
CBB 12: Vicky Entwistle

Favourites (more):
CBB 13: Linda Nolan
CBB 12: Vicky Entwistle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalHermit View Post
Just an idea - ask an actual Muslim if they were offended. They would just laugh at you. They would probably find people getting offended on their behalf to be more offensive.
Perhaps you shouldn't speak for them either, then? Just an idea.
MachoPoodle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 08:48 AM #197
we

Favourites:
BB7: Jayne

we

Favourites:
BB7: Jayne

He deserved that warning
Samm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 09:02 AM #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassysocks View Post
I agree. I think too many on here lack any empathy or understanding of how things were for his generation and how it must be hard for a man of his age to have to watch every single word he says for fear of it offending someone - which is actually pretty AGEIST. I feel for the poor man.

It's the intention that counts, and he clearly didn't intend to offend anyone. Some are simply so easily 'offended' the rest of us are being forced to jump to their tune by the PC mad scaredy cats called BB. Bunch of plebs.
I'm so fed up of the !PC gone mad" cliche. The reason we are motivated to have a more "PC" attitude is to curb the nasty, bigoted, jibes that some feel is their right to impart on others. So long as it's minorities that are offended, well, if they complain, they are being overly sensitive or "PC" is going mad.

The point is a simple one. If through someone's bigoted mindset, they offend others, they should, of course, be brought to account for it. Otherwise it's "bigotry gone rampant", rather than the other cliche.

Last edited by calyman; 26-08-2013 at 09:03 AM.
calyman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 09:16 AM #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by _catapult_ View Post
My god somebody save me, it is NOT racist.. further back somebody called it a 'racIAL' comment, and that is at least somewhat accurate - racIAL not racIST ... he made a joke, yes it was a bit inappropriate... maybe he deserved the warning, but you need to keep it in perspective, RACISTS hate black people, they attack people like me in the street, shout n****r at us, do monkey dances around me, do you get the picture? ... it's worlds apart.

Like the poor chick who got kicked out of the house a few series back for using the "n word" in a completely unoffensive way, that was ridiculous, this is ridiculous, and i also agree that all the people screaming him down as racist 'on behalf' of us blacks need to get a life too, please, I won't be rushing to defend random whites on nobody elses behalf and I don't expect anybody else to do it for me!
What? Are you being serious? Are you saying racism only affects black people?
Old 26-08-2013, 09:17 AM #200

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuff me dizzy View Post
Fingers my friend ,yes it is
No way is this forum PC. I have seen lots of transphobic and anti trans comments made which I doubt anything has been done about.They are based on a lack of knowledge by those making those comments but that is no excuse.

It's usually better to keep your gob shut until you have done some research on something and know what you are talking about.And for goodness sake all these people complaining about things being PC are usually just making an excuse to continue with their own lack of control over how to speak to or treat other folk,

there is nothing wrong with being PC it just means thinking of others

n having manners
cfromhx02 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
formal, idiotic, warning