Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 30-09-2013, 07:59 PM #1
Z

Z

Default Is the West biased against Russia?

I don't think there's necessarily a right or wrong answer to this thread... nor is it black and white... but do you think that the West is biased against Russia or do you feel that the West's position on Russia is justified?

Some things to consider...

- Russia's track record with human rights isn't fantastic
- Russia is still feared by many former Soviet countries, who believe it still tries to control what they do
- Russia often postures politically against what the West does or wants to do, e.g. Syria
- Russia often vetoes issues in United Nations meetings and stops the West from accomplishing objectives...
- People have accused Russia of starting a "new Cold war" over many issues such as energy supply (turning off Ukraine's gas and affecting Western countries, for example)

Some other things to consider...

- NATO expanded to include many of the Soviet Union's former territories despite assurances that that wouldn't happen...
- Many Western organisations have excluded Russia from joining, forcing Russia to be an outsider.
- The USA is the most powerful country in the world and perhaps Russia feels that it is its duty to act as a power balancing figure, i.e. vetoing what the USA wants, e.g. Syria
- Russia doesn't want another Cold War because it isn't as powerful as the USA and would never win, but rather wants multipolarity so that no one country can dominate the others
- The West has a habit of insisting that their way is the right way and demonising other countries that don't fit into their way of life, which causes outbreaks of terrorism and creates anti-Western sentiments
- The West gets to do what it wants and supports its allies even when their actions are dubious (e.g. Israel/Palestine) but when Russia does the same, it is demonised (e.g. Syria)

What do you think?
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 08:02 PM #2
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Not sure, guess there'll always be sore wounds given how long and uncertain the cold war was...

But the criticisms of Russia (at least mine anyway ) are pretty justified I think... the glaring political corruption, the hideous treatment of homosexuals, prisoners and political opponents...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 08:08 PM #3
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

Yes, particularly on foreign issues where we like to take a bit of a sanctimonious view towards Russia, throughout the countries modern history really we've tried to hold them to higher standards than the West have maintained themselves. The too simplistic view of Russia as this great evil superpower determined to go against the west out of spite at every opportunity has hindered a lot of chances to bring the two sides closer together

Not to say there aren't a lot of criticisms to make of them though, like with what Shaun mentioned
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 08:12 PM #4
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Not sure, guess there'll always be sore wounds given how long and uncertain the cold war was...

But the criticisms of Russia (at least mine anyway ) are pretty justified I think... the glaring political corruption, the hideous treatment of homosexuals, prisoners and political opponents...
But then you could level those criticisms at the USA... it's essentially a two party system and you basically win elections by having the most financial backing; and it's based on a variety of things like electoral colleges and how many states you win plus there's well documented evidence that George W Bush's win was rigged in the state of Florida and for the whole election as a result... the USA ranges from outright homophobia to acceptance of gay marriage... Guantanamo Bay... it's waged multiple wars in the last decade or so in Afghanistan, Iraq and was itching to go into Syria...

Which doesn't lessen what the Russians do/don't do, but does make you wonder if we're being led into feeling biased against Russia and overlooking our own shortcomings...
Old 30-09-2013, 10:05 PM #5
Z

Z

I feel that the West (especially the USA) likes to propagate the myth that Russia is still this wildly unpredictable threat because doing so gives the USA more weight to do what it wants
Old 01-10-2013, 05:34 AM #6

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

I think you're right... Remember that little thing they had going on a few years back I think it was called the "Cold War".... One false move back then and it could of been Nuclear Armageddon , maybe their friends now but the mistrust will last for decades to come...
Old 01-10-2013, 11:35 AM #7
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

It's no myth that Russia is supporting a corrupt and evil regime in Syria. They're not going to change their stance on that. I'd like to see someone justify this with a straight face. Russia has a sickening track record of Human Rights and is corrupt in ways we can't even comprehend; it always has been and I think it will be for a long time to come.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:55 AM #8
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedusa View Post
I think you're right... Remember that little thing they had going on a few years back I think it was called the "Cold War".... One false move back then and it could of been Nuclear Armageddon , maybe their friends now but the mistrust will last for decades to come...
The citizens of Poland and East Germany were short changed by Russia too.
East is East and we have an iron curtain to prove it.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:11 PM #9
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):

The West have a pretty ignoble history of propping up barbaric regimes as well, before the Arab Spring Mubarak was one of our great allies as was Gaddafi in recent years, and right now we continue to support the likes of the Saudis and the Bahrainis despite the abuses that their governments are carrying out. It might not be publicly admitted anymore but all the superpowers have their spheres of influence and are prepared to overlook their principles to maintain those, Russia is no different to the West in this
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:57 PM #10
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
The West have a pretty ignoble history of propping up barbaric regimes as well, before the Arab Spring Mubarak was one of our great allies as was Gaddafi in recent years, and right now we continue to support the likes of the Saudis and the Bahrainis despite the abuses that their governments are carrying out. It might not be publicly admitted anymore but all the superpowers have their spheres of influence and are prepared to overlook their principles to maintain those, Russia is no different to the West in this
There isn't enough space here for me to fully disagree with this comment.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:04 PM #11
Jesus.

Jesus.

Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
biased, russia, west