Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 18-11-2013, 05:21 PM #1
Banned

Banned

Default Top 5/10 Games of the Year?

What's yours? My list would look like this.

10. Batman: Arkham Origins

It's the weakest Arkham game so far but even though it doesn't match the lofty expectations of it's predecessors it's still a great game in it's own right.

9. DmC: Devil May Cry

A reboot that I thought was unfairly slated by DMC fans. I thought it was a fun reinvention for a series that desperately needed one.

8. Injustice: Gods Amongst Us

Injustice held my attention for longer than most fighting games, the core gameplay systems were easy to grasp but difficult to master and the game accomplished something that few fighting games ever manage, it told an excellent story.

7. Beyond: Two Souls

Beyond is a divisive game, when I was playing it I found myself constantly switching between hating it and loving it but by the end I settled on loving it. It has a lot of flaws but it's story is enough to make you look past them.

6. Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies

The PW games aren't for everyone but I've loved every single one, DD isn't a dramatic departure from the previous installments but it managed to refine elements of the series that were weak while building on it's strengths.

5. Pokemon X/Y

Familiar and reliable, despite rarely changing it's core formula over the years the Pokemon games are still fun timesinks.

4. Tomb Raider
Spoiler:

I almost forgot about this game, which goes to show the strength of this year's releases as any other year TR would have definitely been considered a game of the year. Tomb Raider is an excellent origin story that soars due to the smart decision of making Lara Croft....human. In this game she's not the somersaulting superwoman that dispatches endangered animals with a pair of matching pistols and a witty quip but a scared girl that has to learn to survive a nightmarish ordeal. It's a great new beginning for the series and I look forward to seeing where the developers go from here.

3. Ni No Kuni

This game is just lovely, it's like a Studio Ghibli film that you can play. It's adorable, heartwarming and surprisingly challenging at points. The story follows Oliver, a newly orphaned boy whose teddy bear comes to life and reveals that Oliver has magical powers and that his mother may be alive in a distant land. It's not a hugely original story and the gameplay borrows a lot from RPGs that came before it but it doesn't matter as Ni No Kuni is almost perfect.

2. Bioshock: Infinite
Spoiler:

This game is like, 99% perfect. the story is phenomenal, the characters are fascinating and the ending will stay with you for days afterwards. The gameplay is also fast, frantic and addictive. You play as Booker Dewitt, a man who has been hired to find a girl in a floating metropolis named Columbia that's on the cusp of a civil war. It's an instant classic of a game.

1. The Last Of Us

This game is quite literally perfect. There's nothing else I can say but to go out and buy this game if you haven't played it already. It is perfection.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2013, 05:23 PM #2
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

It's been such a crazy year that I haven't even played five new games. That's just nuts really, isn't it?

I'm excited for them all though. I'm going to have a hell of a six months taking care of unfinished business before getting a PS4 in the summer. .
Stu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
5 or 10, games, top, year