Notices

CBB13 Celebrity Big Brother 2014 (CBB13) shown January 2014 was won by Jim Davidson.

Discuss here.

Old 23-01-2014, 01:09 AM #26
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josy View Post
None of them even knew what the task was? and I'm not acting like anything I was pointing out the hypocrisy of certain housemates being accused of being sexist but when others make questionable comments it gets brushed under the carpet.

With the second part of your post you are again going off on a tangent, of course a man giving up his seat for a woman is seen as manners or traditional but it's also seen by others as patronising, regardless of that it's a completely different scenario from calling someone names.
Well as I said to Jack there was no intention to be sexist, it's this country's values. If their comments were sexist then it's in a really really really indirect way so you can't put that label on them.

Last edited by Me. I Am Salman; 23-01-2014 at 01:10 AM.
Me. I Am Salman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 01:12 AM #27
oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

oh fack off

Favourites (more):
Survivor 40: Tony
IAC2019: Ian Wright

I understand what you're saying and I think it's important to make a distinction here actually, what Liz said isn't the kind of blatant and knowing sexism where you think and truly believe the unequal views that you're saying - it's casual sexism (and this exists a hell of a lot against women) - ideas, beliefs, traditions (like you said) that exist in our every day lives that nobody really thinks about properly and we're all brought up to act that way, but all of which are, well...sexist in nature. To distinguish certain behaviours and actions as only acceptable to either men or women is unequal and that's sexism, not willing and knowing sexism yes but it's still sexist

And no of course it's not as important on that I definitely agree, there aren't enough women in politics and there's a sh*t load of revolting societal beliefs about the way in which women should behave that don't apply to men (some of which have been raised this series) amongst many other issues - like I said I'm not one of these people that cries misandry whenever feminist ideas are raised, but there are still distinctions made between male and female behaviour and the concepts of both masculinity and femininity are ones which really do need to be eradicated as soon as possible
Jack_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 01:13 AM #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticgal View Post
You are absolutely right Josy... I could also point out that on two occasions Liz said she would physically attack people... Once to Evander in defence of her horse and the second time when asked something in the diary room.
So if JIm or Dappy or any other male made that comment to a female for WHATEVER reason....this forum would have gone mad... It is sexism.
Very true.
Bojangles is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 01:14 AM #29
-

-

Luisa said Jim should of because of the whole 'I'm not eating/drinking if they can't' bull**** that he came out with, what she said wasn't sexist at all imo.
Jake. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 01:19 AM #30

Favourites:
CBB15: Perez Hilton

Favourites:
CBB15: Perez Hilton

Quote:
Since everyone's always going on about certain hm's being sexist, I'm surprised no one has made this thread already...

During the task when Linda was eating dog food why did Luisa say Jim or Ollie should be doing that instead? why just the two guys?

During Liz's interview she said to Emma no man should call a woman a name, why not say no one should call anyone names, is it ok for a woman to call a man names then?

Discuss
I agree 100%. I cannot understand people having double standards. I just cringe at the vindictive diatribes which Linda spews and I think it's unacceptable for any person to behave like that towards any other person of either sex.

Last edited by Seraphim; 23-01-2014 at 02:37 PM.
Seraphim is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 01:20 AM #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salman! View Post
Age is a factor, I doubt she would have said anything say if it was Casey. I don't really have to explain myself if you're a man and you let an elderly woman eat dog food instead of you than you're quite simply a twat. Please don't act like this is so outrageous and unheard of because you know it isn't.

Regarding what Liz said, it's a saying millions of people say with no intention of being sexist because it's just manners. She didn't mean it's okay to swear at men she just meant it's especially worse for a man to do it to a woman, which it is. Are the people who give up their seats to women being sexist too? No. It's just a traditional value in this country
Ridiculous argument falling at every hurdle. Jim is as old as Colleen and with a history of alcohol dependence and obesity, far more likely to suffer from gastric complaints such as ulcers. Why, because he is male, should he have to do arduous tasks instead of Linda, and why must he, because he is male, HAVE to open doors or give up his seat for females - the same way you likely questioned why Jim should assume that a female would iron a male's shirts. If you will cry sexism from the rooftops, stand by your ideal as the people you preach to will not let you pick and choose.

How can you call Jim a twat for allowing a fellow contestant, who has berated him throughout the show, to take part in the show they are being paid for? The fact you mentioned her gender shows you have your own gender-biases so remember that in your future sanctimonious posts.
optimisticcynic is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 01:24 AM #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake. View Post
Luisa said Jim should of because of the whole 'I'm not eating/drinking if they can't' bull**** that he came out with, what she said wasn't sexist at all imo.
Luisa just hates Jim. When he puts himself out there she criticises him for being a martyr, when he doesn't she berates him for not stepping up. Luisa's and Linda's statements will inspire less discussion if it is acknowledged that they are not being critical of Jim's actions, they are just being critical of Jim.
Old 23-01-2014, 01:25 AM #33
User banned

User banned

Quote:
You are absolutely right Josy... I could also point out that on two occasions Liz said she would physically attack people... Once to Evander in defence of her horse and the second time when asked something in the diary room.
So if JIm or Dappy or any other male made that comment to a female for WHATEVER reason....this forum would have gone mad... It is sexism.
Stop making assumptions of the forum which aren't true. Liz would say those comments to anyone, she's made loads of other remarks like that and we know she's not being serious, it's just a part of her personality and part of her appeal. If Ollie said that noone would take it seriously either. So cut the sexism bs. The only uproar I see happening is if Jim said it but that's only cause of his past NOTHING to do with the fact that he's a man. Now please let go of those straws
Old 23-01-2014, 01:26 AM #34

The Liz threat of violence points is a good one tbf. It got a lot of laughs(rightfully so, it was hilarious), but if it was Evander saying that to her it may well of been a different story.
Brother Leon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 01:27 AM #35
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Leon View Post
The Liz threat of violence points is a good one tbf. It got a lot of laughs(rightfully so, it was hilarious), but if it was Evander saying that to her it may well of been a different story.
No it isn't, why did you completely just ignore my post? If Evander said it would come across as a bit more violent but that's because OF HIS PERSONALITY. If there was a really big, tough woman with a similar personality it would be the same case

Last edited by Me. I Am Salman; 23-01-2014 at 01:30 AM.
Old 23-01-2014, 01:36 AM #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Leon View Post
Well put, Brother Leon. I'm glad noone disagrees with you.
Old 23-01-2014, 01:37 AM #37

Quote:
Stop making assumptions of the forum which aren't true. Liz would say those comments to anyone, she's made loads of other remarks like that and we know she's not being serious, it's just a part of her personality and part of her appeal. If Ollie said that noone would take it seriously either. So cut the sexism bs. The only uproar I see happening is if Jim said it but that's only cause of his past NOTHING to do with the fact that he's a man. Now please let go of those straws
If Casey said she punched a horse and Jim said he would punch Casey if she punched his horse.... I can assure you there would have been furore on here... And you Salman would have been one of the first on here...it may be an assumption but many would agree.....and if you don't you are in denial.
rusticgal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 01:39 AM #38
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimisticcynic View Post
Well put, Brother Leon. I'm glad noone disagrees with you.
embarassing attempt at trolling

Quote:
If Casey said she punched a horse and Jim said he would punch Casey if she punched his horse.... I can assure you there would have been furore on here... And you Salman would have been one of the first on here...it may be an assumption but many would agree.....and if you don't you are in denial.
Yes, because of his personality. If Ollie said it I wouldn't care. Now please stop
Old 23-01-2014, 01:48 AM #39

Quote:

Yes, because of his personality. If Ollie said it I wouldn't care. Now please stop
I quite enjoyed it, tbh. It was more a case of me highlighting the childishness of your "why is noone listening to me" post, especially when all you are doing is repeating a hollow argument with no acknowledgment of the sensible observations of fellow posters. I think Brother Leon got it right by skipping over your post and I may try this from now on.
Old 23-01-2014, 01:59 AM #40

Quote:

This is a forum Salman....it's a debate and a good discussion at that. You can't tell people to stop just because you don't like/agree with their opinion.
Go to another thread or press the OFF button on your device.
rusticgal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 02:17 AM #41

Favourites (more):
Apprentice 2014: Roisin
CBB 13: Luisa Zissman

Favourites (more):
Apprentice 2014: Roisin
CBB 13: Luisa Zissman

Okay, I know that I'm probably going to get lambasted for saying this but: I don't really think that reverse sexism is a legitimate thing. I know that it may not sound fair, and it's really not, but that's just how things go.

It's basically like how saying derogatory things to white people isn't racism. I remember seeing a bunch of flyers in my old college for clubs that are specifically about one race and only allow that one race in, for just about every race except for one. If there was a club solely for white people then everyone in it would probably be deemed as racist and compared to the KKK. Is it fair? No.

The thing is though that white (men) people have never been oppressed whilst every other race has, just like how (white) men have never been oppressed like women have. Women and other races besides Caucasian are still trying to be treated as equals, and until everyone is equal can there truly be such a thing as reverse sexism and racism against whites.

I know that this is not fair, but the world is not fair. Or maybe I'm just bitter because I had to listen to 3 or 4 guys making kitchen jokes to me in one of my classes senior year for the whole year.

Edit: actually I think I'm going to have to take that back. I forgot that this was a forum with mainly British people on it and my views are based on the US. And yeah, I don't really know much about British history or the lifestyle there in general so my views are probably wrong. My bad.

Last edited by Haylei; 23-01-2014 at 02:45 AM.
Haylei is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 06:33 AM #42
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Well as I said to Jack there was no intention to be sexist, it's this country's values. If their comments were sexist then it's in a really really really indirect way so you can't put that label on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack_ View Post
I understand what you're saying and I think it's important to make a distinction here actually, what Liz said isn't the kind of blatant and knowing sexism where you think and truly believe the unequal views that you're saying - it's casual sexism (and this exists a hell of a lot against women) - ideas, beliefs, traditions (like you said) that exist in our every day lives that nobody really thinks about properly and we're all brought up to act that way, but all of which are, well...sexist in nature. To distinguish certain behaviours and actions as only acceptable to either men or women is unequal and that's sexism, not willing and knowing sexism yes but it's still sexist

And no of course it's not as important on that I definitely agree, there aren't enough women in politics and there's a sh*t load of revolting societal beliefs about the way in which women should behave that don't apply to men (some of which have been raised this series) amongst many other issues - like I said I'm not one of these people that cries misandry whenever feminist ideas are raised, but there are still distinctions made between male and female behaviour and the concepts of both masculinity and femininity are ones which really do need to be eradicated as soon as possible
..I agree with Jack, there may not have been any intent to be sexist but that doesn't make it 'not sexism' because it is...I think the thing is about 'intent' is if it's used as a reason/excuse etc, it starts to become complicated because it's a lot of people's thoughts that Jim is a 'product of his time/era..'...so there's no intent there either, yet he's still often sexist....but also if we're going to excuse that he 'can't help it..' in that it's just how it was when he was younger...then we have to start allowing 'excuses' for other people as well...yeah, complicated...I think that to a degree, there is often sexism in BB, which isn't always picked up on but for me it's only when it's quite blatent, that it really bothers me and the main part of that for BB in general and other series..is how females do get criticised more/called more derogatory names etc for being sexual behaviour than males....

Last edited by Ammi; 23-01-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 06:47 AM #43
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
BBUSA19: Cody
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):

It's impossible for women to be sexist against men because that requires prejudice and power and women have never had power, and quite frankly will never have power over men. Liz and Luisa's comments may have been biased, but their feelings can never be institutionalized in a world where being a (white, straight) man means everything. When men cry reverse sexism it's really just men not getting the privileges they're used to getting tbqh.
Old 23-01-2014, 07:36 AM #44

Favourites:
BB17: Jayne

Favourites:

Quote:
During the task when Linda was eating dog food why did Luisa say Jim or Ollie should be doing that instead? why just the two guys?
letmein is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 07:41 AM #45

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troynuncdicit View Post
It's impossible for women to be sexist against men because that requires prejudice and power and women have never had power, and quite frankly will never have power over men.
What an asinine comment. Yes, women can be sexist. Would you like me to define misandry for you? Tons of women run entire companies, and have unbelievable power. Oprah Winfrey is a billionaire. So is JK Rowling. Did you ever hear of Margaret Thatcher, Golda Meir, or one of the most powerful women in the world right now: Angela Merkel??! There are more women than men in the world, and they live longer.
letmein is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 07:56 AM #46
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by StupidHoe View Post
this.

If it was sexism from Luisa she would have said any of the guys not just those two. She was just thinking of people who would have probably coped better than Linda. Reading too much into that comment I think.
How could she be referring to any of the guys when Lee and Dappy were with her and were not in a position to do it. Why single out Jim and Ollie but not Sam? Double standards I'm afraid

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 08:02 AM #47
User banned

User banned

Quote:
This is a forum Salman....it's a debate and a good discussion at that. You can't tell people to stop just because you don't like/agree with their opinion.
Go to another thread or press the OFF button on your device.
the person wrote "glad no one disagrees with you" after I replied to Brother Leon which implies they were trying to piss me off, presumably because the person knew I was right and had nothing else to say. I do like debate and discussion thank you very much

Last edited by Me. I Am Salman; 23-01-2014 at 08:03 AM.
Old 23-01-2014, 08:07 AM #48
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake. View Post
Why did she mention Ollie as well then?

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 23-01-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 23-01-2014, 08:11 AM #49
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):
As Told by Troy

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by letmein View Post
What an asinine comment. Yes, women can be sexist. Would you like me to define misandry for you? Tons of women run entire companies, and have unbelievable power. Oprah Winfrey is a billionaire. So is JK Rowling. Did you ever hear of Margaret Thatcher, Golda Meir, or one of the most powerful women in the world right now: Angela Merkel??! There are more women than men in the world, and they live longer.
Like I said, there's a difference between bias and sexism. Reverse sexism cannot exist until these feelings can be institutionalized towards men like they have been towards women. And that simply will never happen.
Old 23-01-2014, 08:26 AM #50
Where's my lawyer?

Favourites:
BB17: Jason
Where's my lawyer?

Favourites:
BB17: Jason

Louisa will just say any old rubbish, she has no emotional intelligence and would argue that the sky is green if she thought it gave her an advantage over someone.
I wouldn't trust her as far as I could throw Linda.
Convenient suffrage purveyor.
Good value housemate though.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
liz, luisa, sexism