Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Music This forum is for discussing artists, singles, albums, the charts and anything music-related.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:17 PM #26
Z

Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam <3 View Post
well this is an Appreciation Thread so if you don't like and what to rant about her, make a thread
I didn't see "appreciation" anywhere in the title or OP, just a thread that her album is out in May. I gave my opinion. I'm not going to make a separate thread to say what I can say in here. If you don't like it, ignore it, that's a much easier option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake. View Post
Don't agree with the top line, I like every song on It's Not Me, It's You and most haven't got much to do with sarcasm, they are just cleverly written songs. I wouldn't say she cashed in on a Keane song, she was approached and she took it (who wouldn't? It's the biggest advert of the year). HOH didn't perhaps match the other peaks of her career but was a nice enough track and Air Ballon is bloody catchy, and even I didn't like it at first. You're not goimg to care, and quite right, because nobody cares for music which isn't to their taste.
I don't mean that all of her songs are sarcastic. I mean that she herself is sarcastic, her songs are about being bitter or are tongue in cheek, that's her style. In the past it was amusing but this campaign has lacked that sense of humour, all we have is someone who can't sing very well peddling songs that she openly admits she doesn't like and I just don't think people should be funding her if she's being so lazy about it. I don't believe a word that comes out of her mouth, she says **** and then changes her mind all the time. She did cash in on a Keane song, because that's exactly what happened?? What you're saying happened also happened. She recorded a cover version because she was asked to and it was a nice little earner for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel-lewis-1985 View Post
I thought you said she was witty and her songs were cleverly written?

I love how honest she is, admitting she gets jealous over attractive women is not something most women would own up to and shes an extremely intelligent girl.

I think everyone would like to have Lily as a friend.

She didn't cash in on Keane either she recorded it about 5 years ago for Radio 1 live lounge and John Lewis wanted to use it, whats the problem with that?
Yes, I did. She is witty and her songs were cleverly written. The songs we've heard from this campaign are not cleverly written or witty. I wouldn't want to have Lily Allen as a friend, she'd tell me all the things about me that made her feel like crap, write a mean song about me and then change her mind a year later and say she didn't mean it at all.

There's no problem with it, I was just stating facts. She cashed in on a cover song to reintroduce her to people and then followed it up with a really lame lead single and an even lamer second single. It all seems so lazy to me.

Quote:
You've literally based that on one song out of the four tracks that have been previewed so far, hardly the album campaign.
Well, yes Jake, because that is her album campaign so far. I'm basing it on the four tracks we've heard so far, because that is all we've heard of the album, i.e. the album campaign. I'm not really sure what you're saying here.

Quote:
And surely, if she is indeed a comedian pretending to be a musician, that makes her all the more clever for being able to sell her music to millions in the first place?
Yes it does, but now she's not got anything interesting to say, it's not funny and I don't really get why anyone's supporting her this time around. You'd expect people to play to their strengths (in her case, writing witty lyrics and playing a feminist role) but then you have her giving interviews where she says she doesn't believe in feminism and she thinks Air Balloon is crap and she's using autotune and she's just slagging off other women. She's not a feminist, she hates other women. I just don't get it.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:19 PM #27
we

Favourites:
BB7: Jayne

we

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee View Post
I didn't see "appreciation" anywhere in the title or OP, just a thread that her album is out in May. I gave my opinion. I'm not going to make a separate thread to say what I can say in here. If you don't like it, ignore it, that's a much easier option.

well added it now but everybody has there own taste in music.
Samm is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:20 PM #28
Z

Z

Quote:
well added it now but everybody has there own taste in music.
Great. Sorry for posting negativity in your thread.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:22 PM #29
-

-

Quote:
I don't mean that all of her songs are sarcastic. I mean that she herself is sarcastic, her songs are about being bitter or are tongue in cheek, that's her style. In the past it was amusing but this campaign has lacked that sense of humour, all we have is someone who can't sing very well peddling songs that she openly admits she doesn't like and I just don't think people should be funding her if she's being so lazy about it. I don't believe a word that comes out of her mouth, she says **** and then changes her mind all the time. She did cash in on a Keane song, because that's exactly what happened?? What you're saying happened also happened. She recorded a cover version because she was asked to and it was a nice little earner for her.
Right okay, I understand that bit now. Surely though if the campaign has lacked that sense of humor, people wouldn't be buying and listening to her stuff? 3 top ten singles isn't something tobe sniffed at. And I really can't see how you're using the Keane cover against her though, plenty record covers, it was just a bonus that it sold well.
Jake. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:22 PM #30

Favourites:
BB16: Sarah

Favourites:

Quote:

Yes, I did. She is witty and her songs were cleverly written. The songs we've heard from this campaign are not cleverly written or witty. I wouldn't want to have Lily Allen as a friend, she'd tell me all the things about me that made her feel like crap, write a mean song about me and then change her mind a year later and say she didn't mean it at all.

There's no problem with it, I was just stating facts. She cashed in on a cover song to reintroduce her to people and then followed it up with a really lame lead single and an even lamer second single. It all seems so lazy to me.

Well, yes Jake, because that is her album campaign so far. I'm basing it on the four tracks we've heard so far, because that is all we've heard of the album, i.e. the album campaign. I'm not really sure what you're saying here.

Yes it does, but now she's not got anything interesting to say, it's not funny and I don't really get why anyone's supporting her this time around. You'd expect people to play to their strengths (in her case, writing witty lyrics and playing a feminist role) but then you have her giving interviews where she says she doesn't believe in feminism and she thinks Air Balloon is crap and she's using autotune and she's just slagging off other women. She's not a feminist, she hates other women. I just don't get it.
Like I said though John Lewis didn't just go up to her and ask her to record the song she had previously recorded it like 5 years ago and she allowed them to use it.

What is wrong with cashing in? It was just an actual heart warming Christmas advert it is her career you know. People work to make cash to pay for their homes and families.

OMG crucify her!

Also a large portion of the singles sales went to the Save the Children's Philippine Typhoon Appeal campaign. Cant really knock that.

Last edited by daniel-lewis-1985; 08-03-2014 at 04:42 PM.
daniel-lewis-1985 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:27 PM #31
-

-

Quote:
But you're opinion seems to be soley based on Hard Out Here, so I don't see how you are commenting on her album campaign. Regarding HOH, your post of 'God everything is terrible isn't it? Better make sure my music is too..' makess sense. It doesn't with the rest of what she's previewed so far. Somewhere Only We Know, Air Ballon and L8 CMMR don't tackle feminism or other general problems in the world, where as HOH does.

Last edited by Jake.; 08-03-2014 at 04:28 PM.
Jake. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:29 PM #32
we

Favourites:

we

Favourites:

anyway can we focus back on lily don't want this to get locked

but thanks for supporting lily
Old 08-03-2014, 04:42 PM #33
Z

Z

I don't want to ruin Sam's thread but I didn't say there was anything wrong with recording a cover, I just said that she did it for easy money, something she's admitted to herself so I don't really see why anyone's contesting that or taking issue with it. Of course the cover song won't be typical of her sound because she didn't write it. Hard Out Here was a subpar version of her usual output, she's admitted she doesn't like Air Balloon and it's not really her style and L8 CMMR is for a soundtrack, so again, won't be typical of her output. Basically I don't think she's being true to herself. Not gonna post again in the thread 'cause I don't wanna post negativity now that I've been made aware this is an appreciation only thread...
Old 08-03-2014, 04:48 PM #34

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
I don't want to ruin Sam's thread but I didn't say there was anything wrong with recording a cover, I just said that she did it for easy money, something she's admitted to herself so I don't really see why anyone's contesting that or taking issue with it. Of course the cover song won't be typical of her sound because she didn't write it. Hard Out Here was a subpar version of her usual output, she's admitted she doesn't like Air Balloon and it's not really her style and L8 CMMR is for a soundtrack, so again, won't be typical of her output. Basically I don't think she's being true to herself. Not gonna post again in the thread 'cause I don't wanna post negativity now that I've been made aware this is an appreciation only thread...
So why do you keep banging on about how she sold out by doing a cover? You obviously have a problem with it, she doesn't.

Most solo artists cover a song at some point in their career and seeing as shes released so much self written, intelligent and original material I don't see the problem with her putting her own interpretation of a song out there especially when proceeds went to charity. Yes of course shes going to make money from it as well because she worked on it, its her lively hood.

Last edited by daniel-lewis-1985; 08-03-2014 at 04:50 PM.
daniel-lewis-1985 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 06:45 PM #35
we

Favourites:

we

Favourites:

Lily Allen's official website

http://www.lilyallenmusic.com/
Old 08-03-2014, 07:10 PM #36
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

oh greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:44 PM #37
User banned

User banned

I love lily but the feminism comment is so stupid lmao
Me. I Am Salman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 07:59 PM #38
we

Favourites:

we

Favourites:

For any 1D fans

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrit...-payne-3210060
Old 09-03-2014, 11:24 AM #39
we

Favourites:

we

Favourites:

Quote:
Lily Allen has claimed “men should be men”, saying she is put off by members of the opposite sex who spend too long in front of the mirror or wear aftershave.

The singer, who married builder and decorator Sam Cooper in 2011, said vain men give her the “shivers”.

She is the guest editor of this week’s ShortList magazine, called “How To Be A Man, by Women”.
Lily on the cover of Shortlist last week
Old 09-03-2014, 11:29 AM #40
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
You see that's why I've gone off her a bit, why would she even record a song she didn't like?
Why can't artists just make the music they and their fans love instead of what they're told to be the industry?
It good you've posted objectively zee, I'm a fan but like you I find it really disappointing.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:32 AM #41
we

Favourites:

we

Favourites:

Air Balloon is the best from the comeback yet, and the most popular single she will like it when it gets more popular
Old 09-03-2014, 03:29 PM #42
we

Favourites:

we

Favourites:

The Michael McIntyre Chat Show on BBC One: Terry Wogan and Lily Allen among the comic's first guests

Quote:
He’s provided plenty of laughs and entertaining chit- chat with whichever host has had the privilege of booking him for their show that week.

His first guests include Terry Wogan, Lily Allen and Alan Sugar.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:21 PM #43
we

Favourites:

we

Favourites:

Just discovered this I love her version
Old 09-03-2014, 11:43 PM #44
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Album cover and track listing are on iTunes, plus a new song can be bought as a buzz single

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 11:55 PM #45
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

kmt bigger pic pls

Quote:

Old 10-03-2014, 12:26 AM #46

Favourites (more):
CBB 13: Luisa Zissman
X Factor 2013: Hannah Barrett

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Just discovered this I love her version
I like it.

But
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

james130 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 12:28 AM #47

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Bigger cover art for Bonus Track Version:

Last edited by james130; 10-03-2014 at 12:28 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 12:30 AM #48

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Could only find this edit of the normal version!

Old 10-03-2014, 12:31 AM #49
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

good old piddles

Quote:

Old 10-03-2014, 01:05 AM #50
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
kmt bigger pic pls

Deluxe Cover
Spoiler:

Standard
Spoiler:

Last edited by Me. I Am Salman; 10-03-2014 at 01:06 AM.
Me. I Am Salman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
2014, allen, appreciation, due, lily, released, sheezus, thread