Notices

CBB14 Celebrity Big Brother 2014 (CBB14) was shown in August and September 2014, and was won by Gary Busey. Discuss the series and housemates here.

- - - - - - - - - -

Old 22-08-2014, 06:10 AM #1
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Default If a housemate is generally disliked by other housemates...

..it feels that they lose all tolerance for genuine problems and disabilities that a housemate has and absolutely no empathy at all...with Gary, yes I can see why he annoys them but it's not an intentional annoyance but a genuine lack of being able to understand or even hear in may cases and they know this as he himself and other housemates discussed his accident/problems with accents etc early on...when one person expresses hostility and intolerance it almost seems like an epidemic that passes through the house because of their own irritations with the situation and the person and then a 'pack' seems to form bringing out the worst character traits in them all or a lot of them....

..anyway if a housemate was more popular and liked in the house would more understanding be shown and maybe it all be treated with a bit of humour..?...thoughts..?..
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 07:38 AM #2

Favourites (more):
BB15: Chris
The Voice: Jermain Jackman

Favourites (more):

I think it's about patience and making that extra effort, for some reason a lot of people can't be bothered now days to make that extra effort, i think it's clever how BB asked James to help Gary with his problem of hearing and to help integrate him if necessary, especially as James is the one who seems to get wound up by him, but then i suppose James is the one who's talking to him and trying to reason with him, i get the impression that David has zero tolerance and would quite easily lay one on him.

I think that it's not about popularity it's about whether someone can be bothered to put in the time.
rubymoo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 07:41 AM #3

When watching BB I always try to self case situations and RE Gary its a difficult call.His behaviours do come across as rude and arrogant sometimes but I feel this is more down to his hearing difficulties than the "I am Hollywood" so you will listen syndrome.

This cuts both ways as it must be difficult for the other HMs to interact do I talk louder and slower will this be seen as patronising has he heard and understood what I am saying.?

I feel this is the cause of an increasing amount of negativity being generated towards him and the cynic in me asks did BB expect this but is now panicking as it escalates. Witness BB asking James to understand and intervene.

It is interesting that two of the "he must go advocates" are American.Leslie and Steph (More strategic game playing than dislike).? As he now has BB and possibly James advocating on his behalf it is possible that the ugly pack mentality will decrease.

I think as a viewer that he is interesting to watch and if nominated will be saved but to answer the main OP question is difficult as I feel he has become unpopular because of his hearing difficulties. The BB winner Sam over came this via keeping a low profile during the early stages but Gary has chosen a different path and this is what makes him a great HM imo.
Mick is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 07:55 AM #4

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
When watching BB I always try to self case situations and RE Gary its a difficult call.His behaviours do come across as rude and arrogant sometimes but I feel this is more down to his hearing difficulties than the "I am Hollywood" so you will listen syndrome.

This cuts both ways as it must be difficult for the other HMs to interact do I talk louder and slower will this be seen as patronising has he heard and understood what I am saying.?

I feel this is the cause of an increasing amount of negativity being generated towards him and the cynic in me asks did BB expect this but is now panicking as it escalates. Witness BB asking James to understand and intervene.

It is interesting that two of the "he must go advocates" are American.Leslie and Steph (More strategic game playing than dislike).? As he now has BB and possibly James advocating on his behalf it is possible that the ugly pack mentality will decrease.

I think as a viewer that he is interesting to watch and if nominated will be saved but to answer the main OP question is difficult as I feel he has become unpopular because of his hearing difficulties. The BB winner Sam over came this via keeping a low profile during the early stages but Gary has chosen a different path and this is what makes him a great HM imo.
I agree he's fascinating to watch, but i can imagine as they have a conversation and out of the corner of their eye they see Gary approaching and they go intomode and as he joins in the conversation it ends up in they are then left feeling before going on aand then
Old 22-08-2014, 08:16 AM #5
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
..it feels that they lose all tolerance for genuine problems and disabilities that a housemate has and absolutely no empathy at all...with Gary, yes I can see why he annoys them but it's not an intentional annoyance but a genuine lack of being able to understand or even hear in may cases and they know this as he himself and other housemates discussed his accident/problems with accents etc early on...when one person expresses hostility and intolerance it almost seems like an epidemic that passes through the house because of their own irritations with the situation and the person and then a 'pack' seems to form bringing out the worst character traits in them all or a lot of them....

..anyway if a housemate was more popular and liked in the house would more understanding be shown and maybe it all be treated with a bit of humour..?...thoughts..?..
I agree with this. As soon as the 'unpopular kid' has been sorted out, the rest try to disassociate themselves as much as possible. It's High School all over again..

Last edited by lily.; 22-08-2014 at 08:17 AM.
lily. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 08:28 AM #6
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post

..I can also see why he irritates and alienates so much but I think it's largely linked to his disability and lack of comprehension so I have great empathy for him as well Mick....and you're right we have had winners and housemates who have overcome disabilities and transformations in their lives etc in the past but (possibly) and because of that from a public point of view and also from a housemate 'threat'/competition point of view...understanding/empathy/tolerance etc could be becoming completely reversed and withheld in that 'they can't use that as an excuse' etc way and no allowances being made at all which have to be by the whole definition and 'disadvantage' of that person through their disability..rather than how much allowance should be made because of it..?...

....I'm not sure that's making sense but I lost my train of thought there...
Old 22-08-2014, 08:36 AM #7
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily. View Post
I agree with this. As soon as the 'unpopular kid' has been sorted out, the rest try to disassociate themselves as much as possible. It's High School all over again..
..I think it's also that when an incident happens like with James and Gary ..?..James then goes off and discusses it negatively with other housemates..'fuelling it and fuelling their irritations with Gary'...so all become involved gradually in feeling an ease to voice their annoyance ...Leslie also does and then discusses it etc...it becomes a 'common bond' and that somehow gives it 'acceptability' and a 'pack' is bred even with people who would probably abhor that sort of thing and they don't see it..'a poison flowing through the veins'/dramatic .....
Old 22-08-2014, 08:47 AM #8
Can I get a witness?

Favourites (more):
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle
Strictly 2019: Michelle Visage

Can I get a witness?

Favourites (more):
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle
Strictly 2019: Michelle Visage

I don't know what Gary is doing to annoy everyone because we don't have 24 hour live feed but I think it's something more than not being able to hear etc, maybe his presence amd ego is unbearable and makes living with him bad?
Old 22-08-2014, 08:53 AM #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post

....I'm not sure that's making sense but I lost my train of thought there...
No worries its easy done Ammi.I wonder how many of these celebrity's are fans of the show and game players.? I think the public are sympathetic initially but only so many excuses will be allowed.

Sam was allowed to stay below the radar but eventually his decent and fun personality made him the winner.

I am not ready to call Gary the winner but he is not allowing his hearing to interfere with his input and interactions and imo that's to his credit and will work to his advantage with the public.

Another poster above mentions that when he approaches others in conversation they start thinking OH HECK (to be fair for varied reasons) but as a viewer this is what I want to see and I suspect others may think likewise and vote accordingly.
Mick is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 09:11 AM #10

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Gary fascinates me and i love seeing others interactions and how he deals with conflict, and how the others deal with conflict, i think that most of us know a Gary in our lives and maybe that's what some viewers will find relatable and endearing.
Old 22-08-2014, 09:57 AM #11

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Keith Chegwin
CBB14: Gary

Favourites (more):

Normal life when Gary talks he is the bigwig who gets all of the attention. Now he is with other celebrities he doesn't understand why he is being treated as an equal. So he shushes them, and annoys them, and points his finger at them. Although, he is still a bigger celebrity than the rest.

Last edited by Pincho Paxton; 22-08-2014 at 09:57 AM.
Pincho Paxton is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 10:01 AM #12
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubymoo View Post
I think it's about patience and making that extra effort, for some reason a lot of people can't be bothered now days to make that extra effort, i think it's clever how BB asked James to help Gary with his problem of hearing and to help integrate him if necessary, especially as James is the one who seems to get wound up by him, but then i suppose James is the one who's talking to him and trying to reason with him, i get the impression that David has zero tolerance and would quite easily lay one on him.

I think that it's not about popularity it's about whether someone can be bothered to put in the time.
Great post, I was just about to say some of this but you have done so and no need for me to now.
I agree with it all.

I agree with you as to David having near zero tolerance too.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 10:08 AM #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho Paxton View Post
Normal life when Gary talks he is the bigwig who gets all of the attention. Now he is with other celebrities he doesn't understand why he is being treated as an equal. So he shushes them, and annoys them, and points his finger at them. Although, he is still a bigger celebrity than the rest.
For people of a certain age Busey may be a bigger celebrity.. I'd probably guess that a lot of people on here had to google him or "wiki" him to find out who he is and what he has done..
FlippingEck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 10:10 AM #14

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlippingEck View Post
For people of a certain age Busey may be a bigger celebrity.. I'd probably guess that a lot of people on here had to google him or "wiki" him to find out who he is and what he has done..
Based on money, he makes multi-million dollar movies.

Last edited by Pincho Paxton; 22-08-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 22-08-2014, 10:21 AM #15

doesn't mean he is necessarily the bigger celebrity. Celebrity these days is about far more than money... (I fear Busey's money may be very low as he is on the show in the first place!)
However, it's a sad state of affairs but I fear before BB, had you done a poll using pics of Busey and White Dee to assess in Britain, which was wider recognised... White Dee would have some out on top.. celebrity has very little to do with financial status, and everything to do with exposure and notoriety.
Old 22-08-2014, 10:39 AM #16

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
Great post, I was just about to say some of this but you have done so and no need for me to now.
I agree with it all.

I agree with you as to David having near zero tolerance too.
Thanks Joey
Old 22-08-2014, 11:10 AM #17

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
doesn't mean he is necessarily the bigger celebrity. Celebrity these days is about far more than money... (I fear Busey's money may be very low as he is on the show in the first place!)
However, it's a sad state of affairs but I fear before BB, had you done a poll using pics of Busey and White Dee to assess in Britain, which was wider recognised... White Dee would have some out on top.. celebrity has very little to do with financial status, and everything to do with exposure and notoriety.
To get the money back you have to sell a lot of movies. Each person that buys the movie, or sees it at the cinema knows Gary Busey. White Dee was not known by Americans, that was part of the first task.
Old 22-08-2014, 02:14 PM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho Paxton View Post
To get the money back you have to sell a lot of movies. Each person that buys the movie, or sees it at the cinema knows Gary Busey. White Dee was not known by Americans, that was part of the first task.
I don't get the point of the above tbf. We are not in America. This is CBBUK. I was about how "famous" people are in the UK. Thanks for the reminder on the first task...but it was only 4 days ago.. im not quite that senile yet!
Old 22-08-2014, 04:16 PM #19
User banned

User banned

it just highlights the frightening ignorance of most of these people and is a dreadful reflection on the ignorance within british society. theres a major social collapse in the uk, nothing is done properly, the patience, care and attention is absent so much of the time.no wonder nurses are doing such awful jobs in hospitals. its just another example of how far our morals have fallen
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 04:30 PM #20

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I don't get the point of the above tbf. We are not in America. This is CBBUK. I was about how "famous" people are in the UK. Thanks for the reminder on the first task...but it was only 4 days ago.. im not quite that senile yet!
In the UK he is still the most famous person in there. He's the only person in there that I have ever seen before.

Last edited by Pincho Paxton; 22-08-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 22-08-2014, 04:50 PM #21

If we google him on line we will find his talks re brain damage. They are interesting and he has a lot of empathy for others. He makes the others look small in stature, not because of his size but because of the fact that he could teach them. If they are wise they will listen and exchange conversation and not make fun of him. He could possibly help them and put them on a new pathway. It all depends on what they want as at this moment in time, each seems to be a sort of "has been" but what sort of "has been" great or small. Garys is vast, I do not see him now as being the great Hollywood star but his films will be remembered and played over again. I see him more as someone who has overcome misfortunes and now has the empathy to realise how others suffer.
Great man. Wish I could have voted for him to be the most entertaining because he truly fascinates me. I hope he does not go on Wednesday.....bloomin twists! It should all be left to the public.
Jules2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-08-2014, 04:53 PM #22

Favourites:
BBUSA17: John

Favourites:
BBUSA17: John

I find watching him very awkward and it's uncomfortable
Marc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
disliked, gary, generally, housemate, housemates