Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

CBB14 Celebrity Big Brother 2014 (CBB14) was shown in August and September 2014, and was won by Gary Busey. Discuss the series and housemates here.

- - - - - - - - - -

Old 09-09-2014, 01:47 PM #1
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

Default Don't talk when I'm talking..

I read a thread over on DS about this and there were some good points raised...

This is the first time I've ever noticed this kind of thing in a BB or CBB before. It seems like when someone wants to have a conversation, they want to conduct it like a formal meeting where everyone takes turns to talk, and any interruptions are jumped upon for being rude.

Also, hand gestures etc. are interpreted as aggression.

What planet are these people from? In my extensive experience of conversation with others, there is plenty of interrupting and back-and-forth. It's how most of us conduct a conversation.
lily. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:49 PM #2
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Probably because they're celebrities and are probably used to holding court and not having to wait their turn I hate conversations where you know the other person is just waiting for you to finish so they can say their bit, not really listening to you at all. reminds me of that

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:49 PM #3
User banned

User banned

EXACTLY and a half deaf man is bound to raise his hand now and again to gesture to slow down or not to interrupt. these idiots deliberately interrupt him and talk over him and whisper forcing him to raise his hand to say please slow down or stop then they pretend to be offended. evil bullies.
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:51 PM #4
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Probably because they're celebrities and are probably used to holding court and not having to wait their turn I hate conversations where you know the other person is just waiting for you to finish so they can say their bit, not really listening to you at all. reminds me of that
Funnily enough, that was also brought up in the DS thread... that they have such big egos and are used to people stopping to listen..

I think James was the first person to demand to speak without interruptions, but it has spread now and others are doing it.

The whole house is over-sensitive to 'aggressive' behaviour which isn't actually aggressive at all..
Old 09-09-2014, 01:52 PM #5

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
EXACTLY and a half deaf man is bound to raise his hand now and again to gesture to slow down or not to interrupt. these idiots deliberately interrupt him and talk over him and whisper forcing him to raise his hand to say please slow down or stop then they pretend to be offended. evil bullies.
My Bampy was 75% deaf and he never raised his hand to tell people to stop or slow down, he just asked you to repeat things, there's never any need to raise a hand to tell someone to stop, as it is rudeness.
But i do agree with the OP, it is really awkward to watch people having a conversation where only one person is allowed to talk at a time, it's tedious.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:54 PM #6
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamPRW View Post
My Bampy was 75% deaf and he never raised his hand to tell people to stop or slow down, he just asked you to repeat things, there's never any need to raise a hand to tell someone to stop, as it is rudeness.
But i do agree with the OP, it is really awkward to watch people having a conversation where only one person is allowed to talk at a time, it's tedious.
yes but he wasnt in the big brother house on live tv, 24/7 with 12+ other people most of whom are grade A bullying pillocks. I trust you showed him more kindness and patience than these scumbags are showing gary
Old 09-09-2014, 01:55 PM #7
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily. View Post
Funnily enough, that was also brought up in the DS thread... that they have such big egos and are used to people stopping to listen..

I think James was the first person to demand to speak without interruptions, but it has spread now and others are doing it.

The whole house is over-sensitive to 'aggressive' behaviour which isn't actually aggressive at all..
People do gesticulate when talking, and an actor will do it more than others, because that is what they have been trained to do. Audley on the other hand, if he put a hand up, everyone would run a mile
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:57 PM #8

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
yes but he wasnt in the big brother house on live tv, 24/7 with 12+ other people most of whom are grade A bullying pillocks. I trust you showed him more kindness and patience than these scumbags are showing gary
So he's putting his hands in peoples faces to tell them to stop talking because he's being filmed 24/7?..
It's a very bad habit that Gary and some other housemates have and it's rude to do so, no matter who does it, that to me is almost as rude as someone clicking their fingers at you to get your attention, it's demeaning.
Old 09-09-2014, 01:59 PM #9
User banned

User banned

Quote:
So he's putting his hands in peoples faces to tell them to stop talking because he's being filmed 24/7?..
It's a very bad habit that Gary and some other housemates have and it's rude to do so, no matter who does it, that to me is almost as rude as someone clicking their fingers at you to get your attention, it's demeaning.
you didnt answer my question about your grandpa ...youre also ignoring my other points, please address them. he has to do it with 12+ mostly ignorant people in there and all the cross talking and big brothers announcements etc plus they endless talk behind his back. im frankly amazed you have no empathy for him
Old 09-09-2014, 02:00 PM #10

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
you didnt answer my question about your grandpa ...youre also ignoring my other points, please address them. he has to do it with 12+ mostly ignorant people in there and all the cross talking and big brothers announcements etc plus they endless talk behind his back. im frankly amazed you have no empathy for him
There wasn't a single question in your post, just statements..
what has them talking behind his backs, got to do with him putting his hand up into peoples faces?
Old 09-09-2014, 02:05 PM #11
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

There are so many factors involved in interacting, particularly in the BB house. Each one is thinking, how do I score some points with the public here, how can I show this person up for being a d**k, so everything is exaggerated, from all sides. It ends up not being a normal conversation at all
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:26 PM #12

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Keith Chegwin
CBB14: Gary

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Keith Chegwin

People in BB usually talk 1 to 1 up a corner somewhere, or in the pod. Trying to talk 1 to 1 in a room full of people without a reply from the others is overly self indulgent.
Old 09-09-2014, 02:33 PM #13

Makes me laugh when Dee drones on about "Are you getting in my face?" before shoving her hand up and pointing those tacky nails in someone's face.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:45 PM #14

Favourites:
CBB 13: Ollie Locke

Favourites:

Quote:
He doesn't put his hands in other peoples faces. Show me one clip where he does. Sometimes he will raise his hand if he is finding it hard to follow what they are saying. This may be something he has been counselled to do related to his deafness. I think it is ridiculous to assume that it is rude.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 02:51 PM #15

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxie View Post
He doesn't put his hands in other peoples faces. Show me one clip where he does. Sometimes he will raise his hand if he is finding it hard to follow what they are saying. This may be something he has been counselled to do related to his deafness. I think it is ridiculous to assume that it is rude.
I'm not assuming anything, if i was talking to someone and they put their hand up in order to make me be quiet, that would be incredibly rude, i think a lot of other people would feel the same to if it happened to them.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:42 PM #16
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincho Paxton View Post
People in BB usually talk 1 to 1 up a corner somewhere, or in the pod. Trying to talk 1 to 1 in a room full of people without a reply from the others is overly self indulgent.
Spot on!
Old 09-09-2014, 05:47 PM #17

Thumbs down

Quote:
Tut Tut Tut. I have never seen Gary put his hands in people's faces, but I have seen Truffle Pig dee do so constantly. That's just my opinion so I hope no one reports me.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:49 PM #18
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

Can't get reported for having an opinion, mate.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:53 PM #19

Favourites (more):
CBB 13: Lionel Blair

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by lily. View Post
This is the first time I've ever noticed this kind of thing in a BB or CBB before. It seems like when someone wants to have a conversation, they want to conduct it like a formal meeting where everyone takes turns to talk, and any interruptions are jumped upon for being rude.

Also, hand gestures etc. are interpreted as aggression.
You're absolutely right.

Criticizing Gary for interrupting or putting his hand up is ridiculous. If someone starts to talk and you don't hear the first sentence or first thing they say, of course you interrupt to let them know. When "interrupting" people say different things depending on the situation and the people involved. They might say things like; huh, what, excuse me, and pardon. When talking to friends I say things like, "wait, start over", "what was that?", and 'I didn't hear you". I don't get all formal and say, "excuse me, could you please repeat what you said I didn't hear you.

And they yell at Gary for stopping them so he can try and understand what they're saying?

Gary isn't perfect and he has his disabilities but they are really piling onto him with the criticisms.
colin72 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 05:54 PM #20

Thumbs up

Quote:
Once again the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the irrefutable truth. ".. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5 Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6 But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. 8 Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. 9 Whoever has ears, let them hear.” Matt 13.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:00 PM #21

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
I'm not assuming anything, if i was talking to someone and they put their hand up in order to make me be quiet, that would be incredibly rude, i think a lot of other people would feel the same to if it happened to them.
I was referring to the housemates when I said it is ridiculous to assume it is rude.

“I am thrilled to be alive at time when humanity is pushing against the limits of understanding. Even better, we may eventually discover that there are no limits.”
― Richard Dawkins
jaxie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 06:15 PM #22

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
Once again the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the irrefutable truth. ".. As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5 Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6 But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. 8 Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. 9 Whoever has ears, let them hear.” Matt 13.
If I want to read fairy tales I'll go to the children's section of the library.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:18 PM #23

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I was referring to the housemates when I said it is ridiculous to assume it is rude.
The gesture in itself is rude, it's degrading, it's dismissive and if someone put they're hand up to me to stop me speaking, i'd have something to say about it to, no matter who they were.
the housemates have every right to see it as rude, they're the ones living with him and they're the ones experiencing it first hand.. if you pardon the pun.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:32 PM #24

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
The gesture in itself is rude, it's degrading, it's dismissive and if someone put they're hand up to me to stop me speaking, i'd have something to say about it to, no matter who they were.
the housemates have every right to see it as rude, they're the ones living with him and they're the ones experiencing it first hand.. if you pardon the pun.
Hilarious.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:33 PM #25

Quote:
Personally i would rather someone raise their hand when i am speaking to them if they cant hear me or understand me because they have hearing difficulties.
If it was someone who had full hearing then yes it can be rude.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
talk, talking