Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 17-09-2014, 07:15 PM #26
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
i think i agree with you, but i'm not sure.

you are discrediting ideologies, but are you also discrediting those ideologies completely/ or are you justifying those ideologies by saying that we shouldn't take them seriously? i'm confused.

It's a dangerous game saying that hate groups(religions) can get away with it because most people don't take them seriously, but some people do take them seriously.
I'm not saying they shouldn't be taken seriously, but they should be taken in context. What was right (or believed to be right) 5000 years ago is not necessarily right when we look at them logically, with the benefit of hindsight and after five millenniums of civilisation. I believe they should be viewed as being the beliefs of the forebears of my religion. I understand that they believed in them then, I don't believe in them now and nor does any humane, civilised person. Of course there are fundamentalists who still go for this stuff because it suits their agenda. But let's face it... they're either uneducated and indoctrinated, or they're as mad as sh1t-house rats.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 07:22 PM #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
I'm not saying they shouldn't be taken seriously, but they should be taken in context. What was right (or believed to be right) 5000 years ago is not necessarily right when we look at them logically, with the benefit of hindsight and after five millenniums of civilisation. I believe they should be viewed as being the beliefs of the forebears of my religion. I understand that they believed in them then, I don't believe in them now and nor does any humane, civilised person. Of course there are fundamentalists who still go for this stuff because it suits their agenda. But let's face it... they're either uneducated and indoctrinated, or they're as mad as sh1t-house rats.
see that's where you lose me, because according to religions, it comes directly from god, so it should have nothing to do with culture or context, it should be a UNIVERSAL TRUTH if it's coming from God.

it's not true though, any of it. it's all BS.

and so how can you take any of it seriously when so much of it is clearly BS?

basically your argument is that we should be patronizing to the religious nutters.

but why should i be patronizing towards them? i have every right to ridicule their beliefs, because it really is BS.

Last edited by lostalex; 17-09-2014 at 07:25 PM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-09-2014, 07:32 PM #28
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostalex View Post
see that's where you lose me, because according to religions, it comes directly from god, so it should have nothing to do with culture or context, it should be a UNIVERSAL TRUTH if it's coming from God.

it's not true though, any of it. it's all BS.

and so how can you take any of it seriously when so much of it is clearly BS?

basically your argument is that we should be patronizing to the religious nutters.

but why should i be patronizing towards them? i have every right to ridicule their beliefs, because it really is BS.
Nowhere did I say we should be patronising to religious nutters. I'm saying that if God gave us free will and the ability to make informed, educated judgements, then we are able to look at the texts in a more informed way with the benefit of education and civilisation. This is my view, Alex. If your view is that it's all BS, than I totally uphold your right to believe that because you're not actually hurting anyone with your belief.

It would be impossible for me to explain my religion to you in a couple of posts on a forum. If you are interested, look into it. If not... don't bother. It's up to you. But I can say quite categorically that I don't believe it's ever right to harm another person unless they're trying to harm you. Then all bets are off.

As for the subject of this thread, he should be prosecuted with the full force of the law.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 08:43 AM #29
All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

All hail the Moyesiah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Lewis G

He's got off pretty lightly by the looks of it and could still play this season depending on whether the NFL decides to impose any punishment on him and whether the Vikes allow him to play

Quote:
Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson agreed to a plea bargain Tuesday, reducing his felony child-abuse charges to a single charge of reckless assault, a misdemeanor that comes with a $4,000 fine and an order to perform community service.

Peterson, 29, appeared in court in Conroe, Tex., and pleaded no contest to the reduced charge in front of Judge Kelly W. Case, who accepted the plea. Peterson was accompanied by his lawyer, Rusty Hardin, and the hearing was finished in a matter of minutes.

The plea ended a case that stemmed from Peterson’s being accused of disciplining his 4-year-old son with a switch in May at his home in Spring, Tex. He was initially charged with one count of reckless or negligent injury to a child, a felony. The reckless-assault charge made no mention of a child’s involvement.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/05/sp...case.html?_r=0
MTVN is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 01:11 PM #30
My keyboard is bullocks

Favourites (more):
BBUSA20: Samantha
CBBUSA: Mark McGrath

My keyboard is bullocks

Favourites (more):
BBUSA20: Samantha
CBBUSA: Mark McGrath

I don't think NFL will let him play unless Adrian has a court order to let him play.
Nintendo ID (Wii U): BRLNerd
BBfanUSA is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
adrian, giving, indicted, minnesota, peterson, player, son, vikings, whooping