Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: Are you a feminist?
Yes I am 41 74.55%
Yes I am
41 74.55%
No I am not 14 25.45%
No I am not
14 25.45%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-02-2015, 08:57 AM #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjuniper View Post
I've never really been a part of the feminist movement. I enjoy being a woman and I also enjoy good manners in a gentleman. If a man gives up his seat or opens a door for me I always thank them very nicely, because good manners should have some acknowledgement.
Having said that, I stand up for myself, don't ask a man to do what I am capable of doing myself and don't expect preferential treatment because I am a woman.
What I can't stand is the type of woman who bleats about inequality in the sexes, but then uses a 'helpless kitten' approach to getting what she wants from a man.
I'm your man then Scarlett - my name's Rhett Butler.

Joking aside Jenny, I still open doors and have always given up my seat for women when I used to use buses and trains. I also always help them up steps with prams and pushchairs, and always stop to push a few broken down cars for them, but increasingly a lot don't say "Thank you", or ignore me afterwards, or even look at me like I'm a perv.

Sign of the times?

kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:35 AM #77
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Some people are nice and some not so nice, there have always been polite and impolite people, I don't class someone who holds a door a gent jenny just not a noob
Old 02-02-2015, 11:37 AM #78
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Ok but yet again you didn't explain HOW men are more oppressed, please do explain
I did re read my posts..........they get billions less spent on their medical health even though they get cancer far more frequently....men die younger in every country on earth, they are discriminated against as fathers, they lose over 80% of divorce cases, over 80% of them lose their home , even though the majority of men have to still continue paying the mortgage so theyre enslaved for life, they also lose over 80% fo custody battles as thr law and law courts and culture is massively biased in favour of women and mothers.....the ratio of organizations and charities supporting women outnumbers those for men by a ratio of over 50 to 1.....its disgusting. women always use the sexism card when it suits them to get their way....people do not deal with the facts. womenonly shortlists for members of parliament is actually illegal and contravenes all equality laws. its a fundamental part of our democracy yet if a man lives in certain counties hes not even allowed to run for parliament and debate the issues......these are just the tip of the iceberg...

culturally woman can say anything they like about men, like and slander them and the man is treated as guilty until proven innocent and his name slandered....yet men get sacked for the slightest trivial comment or joke...weve seen the male hate and the bias for years now....ive seen tv documentaries with studio audiences cheering for men killers in their jail cells....laugh at men who died after having their penises mutilated, endless streams of male hate and bigotry....yet a man makes a joke about a female lineswoman and he gets sacked and loses his home and his wife leaves him and his life falls apart....the endless bile that if we had women politicians thered beno wars? really? Maggie thatcher? the argentian prime minister? 98% of the votes on the Iraq and afghan wars 98% of the votes by female mps voted in favour of the illegal war....biased sexist drivel
the truth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 11:39 AM #79
It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):
BB12: Heaven
UBB: Makosi

It's lacroix darling

Favourites (more):
BB12: Heaven
UBB: Makosi

Quote:
Originally Posted by the truth View Post
it hasn't been about equal rights for decades, its now about getting everyone for women..otherwise why isn't male oppression ever seriously talked about, debated , considered? all the points I keep repeating about male suicide rates, death rates, divorce and family figures are barely mentioned in mainstream debate...why?because people are even more afraid of feminists than they are radical islam
Stupid argument, stupid thought process, stupid points, stupid post. Stupid stupid stupid.

This is precisely why feminism is something that's needed throughout society. Male dominance lingers over the entire world even in spite of the great leaps and bounds that we've come in modern times. Evidence to that fact is everywhere:
  • Women (on average) earn less than men pretty much across the board
  • Sexual violence is something that disproportionately affects women with convictions of the assailants being lower than ever
  • Women are incredibly unrepresented in a realistic manner throughout all media. It's all male focused largely, and the few leading roles that women are assigned are usually misogynistic tropes half the time.
  • Abortion, a.k.a the right for a woman to have control over her own body, still remains a debate in our society with men being afforded equal say in a debate that can only ever affect women.
  • Double standards on the basis of appearance and behaviour are a thing that constantly affect women with each and every day - take the word 'bitch' and the connotations and context around it for example.
  • Women are still often blamed for having sexual violence inflicted upon them by vast swathes of society. You need only look in comment sections on news articles to see that kind of trash.
  • The emphasis on appearance that women are so often exposed to day in, day out.

I could continue ad nauseum, but I'd be here all day. And need I remind you that those are issues specific to the so called 'developed' world which so many of you seem to think no longer needs feminism because we've achieved equality. I've said nothing of the far worse conditions women are forced to live in elsewhere on this planet, these are just issues specific to Britain and the western world in particular.

Oppression is a real thing that women face every day. Misogyny is a system of oppressive mechanics in place throughout society (both intentionally and unintentionally) that work to the disadvantage of women. Misandry, however, simply does not exist. Sure there might be a couple inequalities here and there but the sheer amount of privilege each man is afforded from birth until death is created by those oppressive systems working to hold him up while keeping the women around him down. It's not necessarily obvious or immediately visible but it doesn't take a whole lot of reflection to see that such a thing is very real, and changing your attitude on the matter is one of the ways we can begin to discredit and dismantle those toxic elements in our society.

Last edited by Niall; 02-02-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Niall is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:23 PM #80
User banned

User banned

I disagree with almost every word....nothing you say is accurate
women are never paid less for doing the same job to the same standard.
the overall average is less as more women choose to break up their careers and go back and also more choose to have kids and live off benefits and the benefits and legal and divorce courts favour women so women often get the kids in over 80% of divorces and often leave their careers...if there wasn't a bias in divorce law then this wouldn't happen so much
billions more is spent on womens health and womens charities and womens support groups to a ratio of over 50 to 1
even though men die of cancer at a far higher rate due to testosterone
men die younger across the whole world
men kill themselves at 4 times the rate of women in western society yet get 50 times less support from the government and from charities?
no one dictates to women over their bodies that's a lie...to make all abortion a feminazi issue is evil
1 million innocent babies get killed in the uk over a period of 6 years
in a vast number of cases the mothers and fathers feel rushed pressurised unsupported and regretful whentheir babies are killed off.......it haunts them for life.....parents need as much time and support and options as are possible to make these informed decisions...feminazis saythats patronising, Id rather been patronized than rush to kill a baby...women have far greater spending power per head too

everyone agrees the middle east still has much barbarism towards womens rights...that's not the issue here..this is western society where men are more discriminated against in every single area of society....men get falsely accused, their reputations ruined careers destroyed families ripped apart......they die young get infinitely less support kill themselves far more lose their kids homes life savings far more.......its a womans world
Old 02-02-2015, 03:23 PM #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
I'm your man then Scarlett - my name's Rhett Butler.

Joking aside Jenny, I still open doors and have always given up my seat for women when I used to use buses and trains. I also always help them up steps with prams and pushchairs, and always stop to push a few broken down cars for them, but increasingly a lot don't say "Thank you", or ignore me afterwards, or even look at me like I'm a perv.

Sign of the times?
I think that it's so ungracious not to acknowledge with a thankyou when someone does something nice for us. I'm glad you are a gentleman anyway Rhett:
jennyjuniper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 03:24 PM #82
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjuniper View Post
I think that it's so ungracious not to acknowledge with a thankyou when someone does something nice for us. I'm glad you are a gentleman anyway Rhett:
agreed
Old 02-02-2015, 03:41 PM #83
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
I did re read my posts..........they get billions less spent on their medical health even though they get cancer far more frequently....men die younger in every country on earth, they are discriminated against as fathers, they lose over 80% of divorce cases, over 80% of them lose their home , even though the majority of men have to still continue paying the mortgage so theyre enslaved for life, they also lose over 80% fo custody battles as thr law and law courts and culture is massively biased in favour of women and mothers.....the ratio of organizations and charities supporting women outnumbers those for men by a ratio of over 50 to 1.....its disgusting. women always use the sexism card when it suits them to get their way....people do not deal with the facts. womenonly shortlists for members of parliament is actually illegal and contravenes all equality laws. its a fundamental part of our democracy yet if a man lives in certain counties hes not even allowed to run for parliament and debate the issues......these are just the tip of the iceberg...

culturally woman can say anything they like about men, like and slander them and the man is treated as guilty until proven innocent and his name slandered....yet men get sacked for the slightest trivial comment or joke...weve seen the male hate and the bias for years now....ive seen tv documentaries with studio audiences cheering for men killers in their jail cells....laugh at men who died after having their penises mutilated, endless streams of male hate and bigotry....yet a man makes a joke about a female lineswoman and he gets sacked and loses his home and his wife leaves him and his life falls apart....the endless bile that if we had women politicians thered beno wars? really? Maggie thatcher? the argentian prime minister? 98% of the votes on the Iraq and afghan wars 98% of the votes by female mps voted in favour of the illegal war....biased sexist drivel
Oh my god I would rather stick my head in a blender than argue with this utter bull**** you're spewing

I love that you've just pulled this 80% figure out of your arse and applied it to everything

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 10:14 PM #84
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Oh my god I would rather stick my head in a blender than argue with this utter bull**** you're spewing

I love that you've just pulled this 80% figure out of your arse and applied it to everything
you cant argue because everything \Iive said is TRUTH...YOU DONT CARE BECAUSE YOU DONT CARE about men and you don't want equality you just want everything for women and to hell with men...you ignore male suicides male death rates males losing their children their homes their life savings higher cancer rates billions less on healthcare and support etc everything.........and you just couldn't care less
Old 05-02-2015, 02:58 PM #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
I agree with this and would tend to stay out of discussions about it, and therefore I would not generally identify myself with the 'feminist' tag because it often implies a level of political activism over women's rights that I don't engage in
Yes it implies it - it doesn't make it true.

And by allowing such 'implication' to control your actions you simply give power to those that imply it for their own ends - which is usually weak controlling men who need to see women as second-class or brainless women either desperate for male attention or dumb enough to buy it.
sassysocks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 03:10 PM #86

Quote:
I disagree with almost every word....nothing you say is accurate
women are never paid less for doing the same job to the same standard.
the overall average is less as more women choose to break up their careers and go back and also more choose to have kids and live off benefits and the benefits and legal and divorce courts favour women so women often get the kids in over 80% of divorces and often leave their careers...if there wasn't a bias in divorce law then this wouldn't happen so much
billions more is spent on womens health and womens charities and womens support groups to a ratio of over 50 to 1
even though men die of cancer at a far higher rate due to testosterone
men die younger across the whole world
men kill themselves at 4 times the rate of women in western society yet get 50 times less support from the government and from charities?
no one dictates to women over their bodies that's a lie...to make all abortion a feminazi issue is evil
1 million innocent babies get killed in the uk over a period of 6 years
in a vast number of cases the mothers and fathers feel rushed pressurised unsupported and regretful whentheir babies are killed off.......it haunts them for life.....parents need as much time and support and options as are possible to make these informed decisions...feminazis saythats patronising, Id rather been patronized than rush to kill a baby...women have far greater spending power per head too

everyone agrees the middle east still has much barbarism towards womens rights...that's not the issue here..this is western society where men are more discriminated against in every single area of society....men get falsely accused, their reputations ruined careers destroyed families ripped apart......they die young get infinitely less support kill themselves far more lose their kids homes life savings far more.......its a womans world
It is amazing how you attempt to turn things around to blame women. For centuries women had a very bad deal and still do in many parts of the world.

They had no choice in anything, they had no rights in anything, including the law, and as a result were abused terribly with no recourse. They were very much second-class citizens. But thanks to the bravery of the few, things started to change. But those women suffered for their beliefs, some even died, that's what it took for women to start to get a fair deal.

Then those men who feel they have lost control, something many men like to have over women, start to bleat when the oppressed start to have a voice. They don't like it because they like having the upperhand. Tough!

As for all your crap about healtcare - if men are too dumb to care about their own health enough to get off their arses and do something about it instead of spouting hate towards the women who have done just that - they get what they deserve - or are women supposed to do everything for them.
Old 05-02-2015, 03:24 PM #87

http://www.thisisbigbrother.com/foru...24#post7564624
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 02:53 PM #88
User banned

User banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassysocks View Post
It is amazing how you attempt to turn things around to blame women. For centuries women had a very bad deal and still do in many parts of the world.

They had no choice in anything, they had no rights in anything, including the law, and as a result were abused terribly with no recourse. They were very much second-class citizens. But thanks to the bravery of the few, things started to change. But those women suffered for their beliefs, some even died, that's what it took for women to start to get a fair deal.

Then those men who feel they have lost control, something many men like to have over women, start to bleat when the oppressed start to have a voice. They don't like it because they like having the upperhand. Tough!

As for all your crap about healtcare - if men are too dumb to care about their own health enough to get off their arses and do something about it instead of spouting hate towards the women who have done just that - they get what they deserve - or are women supposed to do everything for them.
spoken like atrue sexist man hater who couldn't give a damn about the mass of male suicides premature deaths lack of investment in their healthcare their cancer their rights their rights as parents etc etc
Old 06-02-2015, 07:32 PM #89
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
spoken like atrue sexist man hater who couldn't give a damn about the mass of male suicides premature deaths lack of investment in their healthcare their cancer their rights their rights as parents etc etc
what has mens suicide got to do with oppression maybe the fact more men are in higher paid higher role jobs is too stressful for them, so they check themselves off a bridge

Old 06-02-2015, 08:56 PM #90

Favourites (more):
BB14: Daley
BB12: Aaron

Favourites (more):
BB14: Daley
BB12: Aaron

I'm certainly for equality but I hate being representated by a label, especially one that is one gender focused. Of course equality of the sexes right now requires the heightening respect for that gender, but I believe in equality of all and feel uncomfortable aligning myself with one that has a specific goal. In fact I just don't like aligning myself with anything at all I have my opinions but I don't want to be put into a category for them. There's always more to be learnt about any topic so my opinions are always open to change.

So no, while I agree with movement I don't consider myself one.

Last edited by Samuel.; 06-02-2015 at 08:58 PM.
Samuel. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:58 PM #91
-

-

samuel you support chris brown so the short answer is no
Fetch The Bolt Cutters is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:33 PM #92

Quote:
Says a true sexist womanhater!

About time men like you took some responsibility for their own lives and stopped trying to blame women for all their inadequacies.

As I said, get off your backside and see a doctor if you have any health concerns - take charge of your own health, just as women have done.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:48 PM #93

Quote:
you cant argue because everything \Iive said is TRUTH...YOU DONT CARE BECAUSE YOU DONT CARE about men and you don't want equality you just want everything for women and to hell with men...you ignore male suicides male death rates males losing their children their homes their life savings higher cancer rates billions less on healthcare and support etc everything.........and you just couldn't care less
Nobody is saying they don't want equality or they don't care but you can't make random claims without backing them up.

The reason there are more male suicides than female suicides is, when men attempt suicide its in their makeup to do it in a much more violent way. A man is more likely to jump in front of a train than a woman. A woman is more likely to slit her wrists or take an overdose. Men are less likely to seek help during the suicidal thought process.

Male drinking and eating habits are among reasons why they are 35% more likely to die from disease than women. They are more likely to smoke long term and when they get signs of a disease such as testicular cancer, they are less likely to visit a doctor early on. These are key factors regarding male mortality rates versus female mortality rates.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...-greater-women

Heart and circulatory disease kills more than 82,000 women in the UK each year - compared with 79,000 men. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26472725 and one of the reasons for this is, when a woman presents herself to her GP with symptoms, she is much more likely to be sent home with some remedy for indigestion than if she was a man.

Can you post a link to "billions less in health care" so we can understand the reasons?

I have to agree with you about men losing out when it comes to keeping their children or the family home and I think we should have a fairer system in place. I believe there are many instances when the child/children would be better off with the father. Too many men end up out on the street or having to start again from scratch and too many women get away with not having to pay maintance. I think its higly unfair that when a man finds himself homeless he's less likely to get help than a homeless woman.

Being a feminist is about equality and as a feminist I would fight your corner and not just my own.
Old 08-02-2015, 12:10 PM #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionRed View Post
Nobody is saying they don't want equality or they don't care but you can't make random claims without backing them up.

The reason there are more male suicides than female suicides is, when men attempt suicide its in their makeup to do it in a much more violent way. A man is more likely to jump in front of a train than a woman. A woman is more likely to slit her wrists or take an overdose. Men are less likely to seek help during the suicidal thought process.

Male drinking and eating habits are among reasons why they are 35% more likely to die from disease than women. They are more likely to smoke long term and when they get signs of a disease such as testicular cancer, they are less likely to visit a doctor early on. These are key factors regarding male mortality rates versus female mortality rates.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...-greater-women

Heart and circulatory disease kills more than 82,000 women in the UK each year - compared with 79,000 men. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-26472725 and one of the reasons for this is, when a woman presents herself to her GP with symptoms, she is much more likely to be sent home with some remedy for indigestion than if she was a man.

Can you post a link to "billions less in health care" so we can understand the reasons?

I have to agree with you about men losing out when it comes to keeping their children or the family home and I think we should have a fairer system in place. I believe there are many instances when the child/children would be better off with the father. Too many men end up out on the street or having to start again from scratch and too many women get away with not having to pay maintance. I think its higly unfair that when a man finds himself homeless he's less likely to get help than a homeless woman.

Being a feminist is about equality and as a feminist I would fight your corner and not just my own.
Women have always been more aware of their own mortality and acted on any health concerns they had instead of ignoring them the way many men tend to do.

Do men honestly think women are less scared about the prospect of being told they may have something like cancer. Of course they aren't but in most cases they want to be there for their kids, so they act on their concerns by going to see the doctor, something they do more for their kids than themselves. Why can't men do the same? If they care about their kids and themselves, they would be more proactive in their own health rather than focusing on their fear and then whining on about what a raw deal they are getting.

Women have become more proactive in preserving their own health by campaining for better screening and care for common female cancers rather than sit there and expect others to do it, the way men like the 'truth' do. A real man would look after himself for the sake of his children.

As far as getting custody of the children is concerned, that originally came about as previous generations of men did not want to take on the responisibilty of looking after their kids, they considered it a woman's job. Again they were thinking of themselves.

Now views on child rearing have changed and more men are keen to do it, the fact that women appear to get preference has become a bone of contention. However, now that the one with custody of the chidren is more likely to get to remain in the house may, in some cases, be the reason for this contention.

At the end of the day, what is best for the children is what counts, not the gender of the parent, and it seems to me that a man who appears to focus all his atentions on blaming women for all his ills is not likely to be it. It has nothing to do with inequality.
Old 08-02-2015, 11:13 PM #95

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

If i hold the door open for a woman....Bitch better be greatful.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-07-2015, 10:50 PM #96
Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Ninastar

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Michelle Visage
X Factor 2014: Fleur East

Pretty much agree with her 100%
Old 25-07-2015, 11:21 PM #97

Favourites (more):
BB16: Jade
CBB15: Cami Li

Favourites (more):
BB16: Jade
CBB15: Cami Li

I agree with pretty much everything Caitlyn said.

Also as mentioned, more men die from preeeetty much everything because they go to the doctors less... This is particularly the case for suicide; men are much less likely to seek help for mental health problems; this doesn't mean that they are more at risk from suffering, just that they deal with it differently.

This also explains why much less healthcare is spent on men, it's not a huge conspiracy to kill males off, and the truth's implication of that is at the least laughable, and at the most actually quite scary.

Last edited by hannah.; 25-07-2015 at 11:22 PM.
hannah. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 01:35 AM #98

feminism has wrecked family values, and forcing men too be less masculine, it has made males and young boys, more feminine and girly, I have seen girls forcing there boyfriends too be more like them, soft and fluffy, they have made one sided kangaroo court system, they want women who have sexually abused children, not too be jailed, and instead be giving treatment, for there predator behavior, and not too be put on the sex offenders list, feminist politicians have blocked a plan to make it illegal for women who tamper with condoms, when there male partner does not want children with her, inturn, he ends up paying the costs for that child,
empire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-07-2015, 07:56 AM #99
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos View Post

Pretty much agree with her 100%
I only watched a minute and half then I turned it off... She was literally listing a bunch of reasons as to why we need feminism

"I'm not a femenist because I believe that both genders should be treated equally" oh good lord, shut her up

Last edited by Smithy; 26-07-2015 at 07:57 AM.
Old 26-07-2015, 08:05 AM #100
Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace
BB2023: Yinrun

Like a fine whiskey

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace
BB2023: Yinrun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsay View Post
I believe everyone to be equal but man it gets on my tits when some feminists go too far
This, they cross over into the Misandrist zone and blame men for everything bad that happens to women. It's like firstly, stop blaming ALL men as we are not all the same, secondly some womem are also to blame for things that happen to other women, where is your hate for them?

It's never too late to be who you once could have been...

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN

Anyway there's an explanation and I don't really appreciate your tone. It's very aggressive so I'm going to close this, sorry for killing the internet mate

Last edited by Benjamin; 26-07-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Benjamin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
feminism