Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: Would you make it law to not mock Religion?
Yes 0 0%
Yes
0 0%
No 26 96.30%
No
26 96.30%
Only if they wasn't joking 0 0%
Only if they wasn't joking
0 0%
Not sure 1 3.70%
Not sure
1 3.70%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-01-2015, 10:13 AM #26
-

-

Hold on, isn't this basically the plot of Men In Black?

Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 10:14 AM #27
You know my methods

You know my methods

I wonder what a religionist would do if they took their child to a doctor as the child was very ill and the doctor turned them away and told them to pray to their god to heal the child.?

I am thinking that in this instance they would not be that keen on prayer and the healing power of their chosen god.
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 10:18 AM #28

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Favourites (more):
CBB 10: Julian Clary
BB13: Luke A

Don't they do that already in some parts of Africa and Asia ?

Old 30-01-2015, 10:23 AM #29
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
What if our entire universe is an atom in a hair on a really sweaty giant's ballsack...
I always think that (not the giants ballsack bit lol) I love that film Horton Hears a Who, I was watching it thinking, wow this could be us on that flower

**I'm not mocking religion here, I genuinely think that it's a good possibility

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.

Last edited by Niamh.; 30-01-2015 at 10:23 AM.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 10:50 AM #30
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
I wonder what a religionist would do if they took their child to a doctor as the child was very ill and the doctor turned them away and told them to pray to their god to heal the child.?

I am thinking that in this instance they would not be that keen on prayer and the healing power of their chosen god.
What's always confused me more than that, is that religious people are still distraught when their loved ones die (even if their loved ones were devout, too). I mean... if they really believe... then why? Is it just selfishness / because they will "be missed"? The level of grief makes that feel a bit unlikely, but surely they truly believe that their loved ones are now somewhere better, peaceful, and generally awesome? Shouldn't they be like "Ohhh yay! Lucky Bob!!". This is also not mocking - it's something I genuinely wonder about. Because I know that these people themselves DO really believe it and yet, they are devastated by losing loved ones.

My stance on it right now is that, basically, I think that (as irrational as I find religion) religious belief is a part of the rational mind; it's learned, consciously fully believed, even subconsciously very deeply embedded. But when it comes right down to a kick in the guts like losing someone, instinct kicks in and leaves the person devastated. On that most basic level, they "know" that that person is just gone. As that initial pain fades and the grieving process progresses they later start to reintroduce the idea that they will "see them again, one day".
Old 30-01-2015, 11:33 AM #31
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
What's always confused me more than that, is that religious people are still distraught when their loved ones die (even if their loved ones were devout, too). I mean... if they really believe... then why? Is it just selfishness / because they will "be missed"? The level of grief makes that feel a bit unlikely, but surely they truly believe that their loved ones are now somewhere better, peaceful, and generally awesome? Shouldn't they be like "Ohhh yay! Lucky Bob!!". This is also not mocking - it's something I genuinely wonder about. Because I know that these people themselves DO really believe it and yet, they are devastated by losing loved ones.

My stance on it right now is that, basically, I think that (as irrational as I find religion) religious belief is a part of the rational mind; it's learned, consciously fully believed, even subconsciously very deeply embedded. But when it comes right down to a kick in the guts like losing someone, instinct kicks in and leaves the person devastated. On that most basic level, they "know" that that person is just gone. As that initial pain fades and the grieving process progresses they later start to reintroduce the idea that they will "see them again, one day".
Indeed. Wishful thinking is hardwired into our psyche as its evolutionary successful, or at least has been. When food was scarce, disease killed you and climate and animals killed you the hope that something big and all powerful would protect the good was a great way of dealing with the sh1t that came along. Survival of the fittest and strongest will always lead to the weak thinking "well when you die you will pay for this you swine.."
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 11:42 AM #32
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Indeed. Wishful thinking is hardwired into our psyche as its evolutionary successful, or at least has been. When food was scarce, disease killed you and climate and animals killed you the hope that something big and all powerful would protect the good was a great way of dealing with the sh1t that came along. Survival of the fittest and strongest will always lead to the weak thinking "well when you die you will pay for this you swine.."
"Fortune favors the brave", I suppose. On those harsh nights with scarce food, someone who believed that something powerful was "watching their back" might be more likely to face their fear, venture out, make a kill and eat. Someone afraid and hopeless might simply cower in their cave and starve.

It's an interesting concept for the "inheritance" of early religion, at least.
Old 30-01-2015, 12:22 PM #33

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Ann Widdecombe
BB18: Tom

Favourites (more):

I think religion came about due to a lack of knowledge.People even before the ancient Egyptians worshiped the sun,moon and stars because they had no clue what they were and they are so spectacular.I think the theories of all powerful beings and creators came later and then even later the concept of an afterlife evolved due to the 'wishful thinking' part.This has gradually transfered over to the newer religions such as Christianity,Judaism and Islam.Various ideas in the newer religions are taken straight from the ancient ones.

Last edited by Northern Monkey; 30-01-2015 at 12:23 PM.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-01-2015, 12:26 PM #34

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
What if our entire universe is an atom in a hair on a really sweaty giant's ballsack...
Anything could be possible.
Northern Monkey is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
arrest, mocked, openly, religion