Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 12-04-2015, 11:08 PM #1
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Default Bedroom tax proof house

'An innovative housing development that could help people avoid the so-called "bedroom tax" has been shortlisted for an award.
North Kesteven District Council built 13 homes in Ruskington, Lincolnshire, with moveable internal walls.
It means the number of bedrooms can be easily altered from one to two to avoid losing housing benefit.
The project is shortlisted in the outstanding development category of the UK Housing Awards.
In each of the homes, built last year, the main bedroom has several electrical fittings and two windows allowing for a partition wall to be easily installed or removed.
Michael Gadd, property services manager, said: "It does mean that no-one can be penalised for having a spare bedroom that's not being used.'

Amazing! Well done Lincolnshire council

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...shire-32277808
Old 13-04-2015, 06:01 AM #2

Presumably, this could mean; that instead of a 12' x 10' bedroom and a 9' x 10' bedroom if it is an average 2 bed property, the tenant enjoys a rather luxurious 21' x 10' bedroom, but apart from this; how does this 'Bedroom Tax' avoidance scheme differ from 'Income Tax' avoidance schemes?

Both are deliberate manipulations of the regulations by people who believe they are 'legally' justified because their scheme breaks no laws, and 'morally' justified because the regulation they are 'legally' negotiating around is unjust anyway.

In both cases, the perpetrators of such a scheme want to 'protect' as much of their money from the clutches of the state as possible and feel 'justified' in doing so, so where is one 'avoidance' tactic any less reprehensible than the other?

I am expecting responses which are replete with the words; "Benefits" and "Need" (or variations of the same) used as comparators to words such as "Spare Money" and "greed" (or variations of the same) but I'm talking specifically about the 'principle' of both being 'Tax' avoidance schemes - where are they different that one is lauded and applauded and the other detested and berated?

Last edited by kirklancaster; 13-04-2015 at 06:03 AM.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 06:42 AM #3
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post
Presumably, this could mean; that instead of a 12' x 10' bedroom and a 9' x 10' bedroom if it is an average 2 bed property, the tenant enjoys a rather luxurious 21' x 10' bedroom, but apart from this; how does this 'Bedroom Tax' avoidance scheme differ from 'Income Tax' avoidance schemes?

Both are deliberate manipulations of the regulations by people who believe they are 'legally' justified because their scheme breaks no laws, and 'morally' justified because the regulation they are 'legally' negotiating around is unjust anyway.

In both cases, the perpetrators of such a scheme want to 'protect' as much of their money from the clutches of the state as possible and feel 'justified' in doing so, so where is one 'avoidance' tactic any less reprehensible than the other?

I am expecting responses which are replete with the words; "Benefits" and "Need" (or variations of the same) used as comparators to words such as "Spare Money" and "greed" (or variations of the same) but I'm talking specifically about the 'principle' of both being 'Tax' avoidance schemes - where are they different that one is lauded and applauded and the other detested and berated?

Its not avoidance, its using the space available effectively. So if there is only the requirement for 1 bedroom, the space is bigger rather than having a spare empty room. Nothing wrong with that. Although privacy must be a bit lacking
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 07:15 AM #4

Kizzy its the Spare Room Tax

Typical of you to use the fake Labour word
bedroom
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 07:30 AM #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post

bedroom
No it isn't, it's bedroom tax, most people don't have the room going 'spare' and use it for family/guests staying over among other things.
Josy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 08:39 AM #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josy View Post
No it isn't, it's bedroom tax, most people don't have the room going 'spare' and use it for family/guests staying over among other things.

Yes but its called a Spare Room
Old 13-04-2015, 12:59 PM #7
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirklancaster View Post

It is the housing association that has the power to convert the properties if required they are effectively 1 bed properties so nobody least of all prospective tenants are acting fraudulently, there is no spare room subsidy as there is no spare room.
Could you give me an example of how someone could avoid tax on their income and it be in any way comparable?
Old 13-04-2015, 01:02 PM #8
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post

bedroom
Actually technically its the 'spare room subsidy' which doesnt even make sense if you think about it...removal of this subsidy, fair enough but to call the policy itself the spare room subsidy is wrong.

I hate this tbh and welcome ANY way people can get round it, its simply unfair as the huge majority of councils don't have the smaller places available so what are people meant to do? And this is assuming the room is actually 'spare'...
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 01:08 PM #9
-

-

I say break out the sledgehammers and convert all of the current houses affected by bedroom tax too.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 01:12 PM #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Actually technically its the 'spare room subsidy' which doesnt even make sense if you think about it...removal of this subsidy, fair enough but to call the policy itself the spare room subsidy is wrong.

I hate this tbh and welcome ANY way people can get round it, its simply unfair as the huge majority of councils don't have the smaller places available so what are people meant to do? And this is assuming the room is actually 'spare'...

Yes it is
You Bright Spark
Old 13-04-2015, 01:18 PM #11

Quote:
I say break out the sledgehammers and convert all of the current houses affected by bedroom tax too.
That's what I was thinking....
Old 13-04-2015, 01:18 PM #12

Scotland has actually got rid of the bedroom tax a while ago, I wont say abolished because I don't think it's legally been abolished yet (at least they have in our area anyway) what they do now is use 2 discretionary funds to pay the bedroom tax, meaning they are still paying it out of their budget just like they would be doing if they hadn't reduced peoples housing benefits in the first place. It's absolutely mental.
Old 13-04-2015, 01:20 PM #13

This kind of explains it

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...m-tax-scotland

And not that it matters either way but it's definitely called the 'bedroom tax' here
Old 13-04-2015, 01:24 PM #14
0_o

0_o

The discretionary payments here (you know...the ones the government said would mean disabled people wouldnt be hit with this?) have a maximum award duration of 1 year
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 01:40 PM #15
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I really hope IDS is charged with human rights violations for his treatment of the disabled.
Old 13-04-2015, 02:45 PM #16

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

People should not have been charged the extra in the first place, unless they had been offered accommodation without spare rooms in the first place and refused it.
Is it really too much to ask for a couple to be able to live in a two bedroom house anyway?
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 02:49 PM #17
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

The lie perpetuated was that it would free up social housing, in truth it was to force those on housing benefit out of London.
They don't want to build any more social housing so they want to sell off what stock they have and force everyone else into private rented accommodation, the cap means they either live somewhere cheap or 3 to a room.

Last edited by Kizzy; 13-04-2015 at 02:51 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 03:01 PM #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josy View Post
Scotland has actually got rid of the bedroom tax a while ago, I wont say abolished because I don't think it's legally been abolished yet (at least they have in our area anyway) what they do now is use 2 discretionary funds to pay the bedroom tax, meaning they are still paying it out of their budget just like they would be doing if they hadn't reduced peoples housing benefits in the first place. It's absolutely mental.

yes thanks to the SNP
Old 13-04-2015, 03:31 PM #19
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
BB19: Lewis F
iconic

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun

The difference between bedroom tax avoidance and income tax avoidance is that the bedroom tax is completely unfair because it hits the poorest people only who rely on benefits to live, mostly the disabled, whereas income tax is a tax that is progressive and everyone pays a fair amount and how much money you make and/or have is taken into account.

That is why I support this. Good on you Lincolnshire Council!

Favourite housemates
if a series is excluded, then I haven't watched it or don't currently have a favourite.
Spoiler:

Favourite housemates (BBUK)
BB18: Chanelle
BB17: Jayne
BB16: Joel
BB15: Ashleigh
BB14: Gina
BB8: Charley
BB7: Nikki
BB6: Makosi

JoshBB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2015, 06:31 PM #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshBB View Post
The difference between bedroom tax avoidance and income tax avoidance is that the bedroom tax is completely unfair because it hits the poorest people only who rely on benefits to live, mostly the disabled, whereas income tax is a tax that is progressive and everyone pays a fair amount and how much money you make and/or have is taken into account.

That is why I support this. Good on you Lincolnshire Council!
I didn't know that Josh - thank you.
kirklancaster is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bedroom, house, proof, tax